Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

Oh hey, that one has Faith in it. I have an Issue of Faith, think I got it free, and I thought it was alright. Is it generally considered a good series?

Yeah, as far as I know it had some good word of mouth around it. I definitely enjoyed it.

Fun thing with Valiant is that early on in its 2012 reboot, they had a scene where Archer met with Armstrong's time-traveler brother Ivar, who was a bit disheveled at the time. Archer's then-love interest was in peril and when he told Ivar they needed to save the love of his life, Ivar went, "Faith is in trouble?!" Archer was confused and had no idea what he was talking about.

A few years later they did an event called Book of Death where the tie-in issues showed how certain characters are fated to die according to their main writers. Faith was depicted as dying in her late-50's and they namedropped that she was survived by her husband, Obadiah Archer. Then there was an X-O Manowar wedding issue where the two finally met and danced together.

So anyway, after all this setup, Faith's solo series and the A&A relaunch of Archer and Armstrong came out at the same time and both dealt with the two dating. It's cute and also fitting that in a superhero line made up of shades-of-gray anti-heroes, the two most pure-hearted and optimistic good guys are destined to be together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith is a great character, her ongoing series was fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Yeah, as far as I know it had some good word of mouth around it. I definitely enjoyed it.

Fun thing with Valiant is that early on in its 2012 reboot, they had a scene where Archer met with Armstrong's time-traveler brother Ivar, who was a bit disheveled at the time. Archer's then-love interest was in peril and when he told Ivar they needed to save the love of his life, Ivar went, "Faith is in trouble?!" Archer was confused and had no idea what he was talking about.

A few years later they did an event called Book of Death where the tie-in issues showed how certain characters are fated to die according to their main writers. Faith was depicted as dying in her late-50's and they namedropped that she was survived by her husband, Obadiah Archer. Then there was an X-O Manowar wedding issue where the two finally met and danced together.

So anyway, after all this setup, Faith's solo series and the A&A relaunch of Archer and Armstrong came out at the same time and both dealt with the two dating. It's cute and also fitting that in a superhero line made up of shades-of-gray anti-heroes, the two most pure-hearted and optimistic good guys are destined to be together.

That's something I haven't thought about before. Comic imprints having a shared universe outside of the big two. I guess I've always had it in my head that the smaller companies just have a collection of titles that are published by different writers/artists that aren't in contact. Valiant seem to have done well with theirs though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

That's something I haven't thought about before. Comic imprints having a shared universe outside of the big two. I guess I've always had it in my head that the smaller companies just have a collection of titles that are published by different writers/artists that aren't in contact. Valiant seem to have done well with theirs though.

I think Malibu was a shared universe, as was Wildstorm (both were eventually bought by DC).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I think Malibu was a shared universe, as was Wildstorm (both were eventually bought by DC).

During the 90s boom, there was a fad for companies creating their own multi-title superhero universes on the heels of Image's success. This included Malibu's Ultraverse (now owned by Marvel, not DC), the Acclaim/Valiant universe, CrossGen's Sigilverse, and Dark Horse's Comics' Greatest World.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Starman had a circus as a villain for at least a couple issues

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Malibu actually had two simultaneous shared universes. The Ultraverse which was their cash in on the boom superhero universe and had a big simultaneous launch. Then another which just incorporated their various indie books like Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants which existed before the boom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had a really great thread about short lived shared universes years ago. There was a boom in the 90s that gave us Triumphant, Defiant, Broadway, Comics Greatest World and probably others I'm forgetting. None of them lasted long.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Malibu actually had two simultaneous shared universes. The Ultraverse which was their cash in on the boom superhero universe and had a big simultaneous launch. Then another which just incorporated their various indie books like Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants which existed before the boom.

Rhyno posted:

We had a really great thread about short lived shared universes years ago. There was a boom in the 90s that gave us Triumphant, Defiant, Broadway, Comics Greatest World and probably others I'm forgetting. None of them lasted long.

They sound interesting. I do like a good shared universe it can make for good stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha, jokes on you! None of the ones I listed were good!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Haha, jokes on you! None of the ones I listed were good!

Jim Shooter was behind two of them!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wasn't there an announcement of a new Malibu Ultraverse with Gail Simone as architect like a year or so ago

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She's working on the lion forge catalyst universe

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I've always been under the impression that every company's line was a shared universe. Even small indie publishers with a single title had dreams of mega crossovers and big events.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

Wasn't there an announcement of a new Malibu Ultraverse with Gail Simone as architect like a year or so ago

Ultraverse will most likely never again see the light of day. E&C probably remembers it better than me but they'd have to pay the original creators a lot or something and it's not worth it to Marvel or Disney to do it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lifg posted:

I've always been under the impression that every company's line was a shared universe. Even small indie publishers with a single title had dreams of mega crossovers and big events.

It was Valiant that triggered that. They were pretty much the first real break out indie of the boom period and were having their line wide Unity crossover right at the moment that things blew up. So even more than Image, they made it seem like you could make a new superhero universe and hit the big time.

Even Marvel and DC tried to get in on that. This was around the time Marvel had the Razorline series of books which weren't in the Marvel universe but shared their own continuity. So, a kind of new universe, if you will.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Ultraverse will most likely never again see the light of day. E&C probably remembers it better than me but they'd have to pay the original creators a lot or something and it's not worth it to Marvel or Disney to do it.
From all accounts it's less that (Brevoort and several of the original Ultraverse creators have said that the whole "creator participation" angle isn't that much money and not a disqualifying issue from doing anything with the characters.

Far more likely is something shady and hosed up involving Scott Rosenberg, which I wrote about in another thread almost exactly two years ago!

Milestone was clearly the best New Universe, followed closely by Shooter-era Valiant, and then I guess the higher points of Wildstorm and Ultraverse. Post-Shooter Valiant and Defiant had flickers of something, and I'm kind of hard pressed to think of anything good from another New Universe aside from trivia like "this is where Barb Wire came from" or "they hired Karl Kershl when he was 17 to draw their books" or "Bill Clinton shot and killed a bunch of dudes in self-defense in one of their books" or "Rob Liefeld started this one, too."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Holy crap. Rosenberg looks like he's trying to do his best Willem Dafoe impersonation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Far more likely is something shady and hosed up involving Scott Rosenberg, which I wrote about in another thread almost exactly two years ago!

I'm amused that the only Malibu books you could think of were also Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants and neither of us could remember luminaries such as The Ferret.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can someone help me catch up with Xamie's Love and Rockets stories? I have the two big omnibuses, then all eight volumes of the "New Stories". I didn't pick up the relaunch in "floppy" issues. I see there's a new Maggie and Hopey book coming out (https://www.amazon.com/This-How-You-See-Me/dp/168396182X/ref=sr_1_1) that sounds a lot like some of the stories from New Stories. Does it also contain material from the floppies? There's another book coming out this summer (https://www.amazon.com/Tonta-Love-Rockets-Jaime-Hernandez/dp/1683962052/ref=sr_1_3) that again seems to collect stuff from New Stories, but I don't know if it contains material after that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I'm amused that the only Malibu books you could think of were also Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants and neither of us could remember luminaries such as The Ferret.
I remember the Ferret, the only character to my knowledge to be featured on TWO die-cut comics.

Uthor posted:

Can someone help me catch up with Xamie's Love and Rockets stories? I have the two big omnibuses, then all eight volumes of the "New Stories". I didn't pick up the relaunch in "floppy" issues. I see there's a new Maggie and Hopey book coming out (https://www.amazon.com/This-How-You-See-Me/dp/168396182X/ref=sr_1_1) that sounds a lot like some of the stories from New Stories. Does it also contain material from the floppies? There's another book coming out this summer (https://www.amazon.com/Tonta-Love-Rockets-Jaime-Hernandez/dp/1683962052/ref=sr_1_3) that again seems to collect stuff from New Stories, but I don't know if it contains material after that.

The two Locas hardcovers collected pretty much everything Jaime from the first and second (1982 and 2001) volumes of the Love & Rockets comics, which are also collected in his half of the Love & Rockets library as

v1 comics/Locas
Maggie the Mechanic
Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.
Perla la Loca

(Love & Rocket: Penny Century collects a bunch of Jaime stuff from between the two volumes that I don't think are in either Locas HC)

v2 comics/Locas II
Esperanza

Then there's New Stories, which you apparently have. Jaime's parts of that have been getting collected into hardcover:
God & Science: Return of the TI Girls (NS #1+2, with 30 additional pages)
Love Bunglers (NS #3+4, I don't think any additional pages)

Both Is This How You See Me? and Tonta definitely will be collecting material from New Stories #5-8, but I'm pretty sure both (definitely Is This How You See Me?) continue into the "volume 4"/the new floppy series.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Edge & Christian posted:

)
Both Is This How You See Me? and Tonta definitely will be collecting material from New Stories #5-8, but I'm pretty sure both (definitely Is This How You See Me?) continue into the "volume 4"/the new floppy series.

Much thanks. Guess I'm going to have to double dip.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I quite like the Youtube channel 'Comic Tropes' and was wondering what other channels people like. I get suggestions for channels like TheQuatering which just seems like an alt-right channel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

I quite like the Youtube channel 'Comic Tropes' and was wondering what other channels people like. I get suggestions for channels like TheQuatering which just seems like an alt-right channel.

Defunctland. It has nothing to do with comics, but you should watch it anyway.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

I've seen a few of their vids.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I remember the Ferret, the only character to my knowledge to be featured on TWO die-cut comics.

Truly an achievement to be proud of. :v:

I'm actually kind of surprised Wolverine didn't get at least two (Wolverine 50 is his one, for those people who justifiably do not care to remember this stuff), but die-cut seems to have been one of the less popular gimmicks, probably because it meant giving up another page since the cover would have to take two of them.

Gavok posted:

Defunctland is legit good even if you don't like nerds talking about stuff for way too long channels. No "wacky" personality, actually heavily researched, and does a good job of presenting his esoteric topic in a way that's interesting.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 6, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bessantj posted:

Cartoonist Kayfabe with Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg, which started just as a series of videos going through issues of Wizard Magazine starting from the beginning but has since grown to include interviews, show and tells and discussions of things like the history of Akira

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised Wolverine didn't get at least two (Wolverine 50 is his one, for those people who justifiably do not care to remember this stuff), but die-cut seems to have been one of the less popular gimmicks, probably because it meant giving up another page since the cover would have to take two of them.
Oh no, to be clear, I'm not talking about something as small as a die cut cover.

I am talking about die cut COMICS. Though shamefully I forgot who actually got shot in Protectors #5.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh no, to be clear, I'm not talking about something as small as a die cut cover.

I am talking about die cut COMICS. Though shamefully I forgot who actually got shot in Protectors #5.

Oh god! I completely forgot those were a thing. I don't think either of the big two ever made one as well. I know Comico did at least one but those might be one of the most obscure gimmicks of the time. I guess that comic where they actually shot it doesn't count since that's not a die-cut process...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was Night Mask. Not to be confused to the one from New Universe. It’s said to be unreadable because the art didn’t accommodate the die cut bullet hole.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-303/

The above article covers a comic that was actually shot with a real gun, and the stories incorporated the hole. You could also get limited edition higher caliber books, and a bagged shotgun copy that was totally unreadable.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

Cartoonist Kayfabe with Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg, which started just as a series of videos going through issues of Wizard Magazine starting from the beginning but has since grown to include interviews, show and tells and discussions of things like the history of Akira

Will check it out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bessantj posted:

SFDebris did a whole series on The Rise & Fall Of The Comic Empire. So basically the whole lead up to the comics crash of the 90s & its aftermath.

Also, he's doing some stuff on Marvel's event comics (at some later date, but some of those are already available as early access to patreon backers) - namely, he's done Age of Ultron & he's working on Secret Invasion at present.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

SFDebris did a whole series on The Rise & Fall Of The Comic Empire. So basically the whole lead up to the comics crash of the 90s & its aftermath.

Also, he's doing some stuff on Marvel's event comics (at some later date, but some of those are already available as early access to patreon backers) - namely, he's done Age of Ultron & he's working on Secret Invasion at present.

Cool, I like his reviews.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I like NerdSync. The videos are nicely produced and Scott sometimes veers into interesting topics and recommends interesting books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NerdSyncProductions

Tho it is one of those shows that tries to be liked by everyone, so don't expect any deep journalism investigations or anything like that.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

I had this, I think he ended up fighting E honda from street fighter.

Lil 8 year-old me thought the shape was amazing!
Lil 8 year-old me was a freaking idiot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vincent posted:

I like NerdSync. The videos are nicely produced and Scott sometimes veers into interesting topics and recommends interesting books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NerdSyncProductions

Tho it is one of those shows that tries to be liked by everyone, so don't expect any deep journalism investigations or anything like that.

That's cool. I don't really need full on journalism. One of the things I've liked about Comic Tropes is when he talks about stuff I'll never heard of otherwise like the 'Lady Cop' comic and the worst promotional comics. Also that vid he did on Greg Land which was a real eye opener.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

That's cool. I don't really need full on journalism. One of the things I've liked about Comic Tropes is when he talks about stuff I'll never heard of otherwise like the 'Lady Cop' comic and the worst promotional comics. Also that vid he did on Greg Land which was a real eye opener.

Who hasn't heard of Lady Cop? Next thing you'll be telling me is you're not familiar with Linda Carter Student Nurse!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Have they ever brought back that dinosaurs are still alive in Wakanda from classic Jungle Action Black panther? That was weird to see Killmounger using Dinos for slave labor

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Can someone tell me what the name of this book is, and if it's any good? I'm sure it's something well known but I'm not up on my comics and it just happened to catch my eye. I took a quick pic of the cover assuming I'd be able to google up some info on it but I'm failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Looks like something related to Dark Nights: Metal.

I can't tell you if it's any good.