Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Cocoa Crispies posted:

refresh me, what’s an F5?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:dadjoke:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Chris Knight posted:

the latest spam I got for the old "I have hacked your computer and demand some bitcoins" was showing as sent from my personal address to myself, so that's a new one on me

your email should have dmarc reject policy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont like F5s lately

Loadbalancer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

this sounds like it involves server janitoring

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

how many mail providers actually drop on spf/dkim/dmarc hard fail?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how many mail providers actually drop on spf/dkim/dmarc hard fail?

gmail, yahoo, microsoft and a few others do

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Chris Knight posted:

this sounds like it involves server janitoring

It doesn't if you use office 365 or gsuite

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

You have to specifically define it, we've had quite a few DMARC fails make it through due to bad O365 admin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Celexi posted:

Technically for office 365 Microsoft treats reject and quarantine as high scoring spam rather than dropping rejects.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cocoa Crispies posted:

on the off chance you are serious, F5 is one of the top industry standard loadbalancers, they do layer 2 to 7 loadbalancing and fit in to companies whose work flow doesn’t jive with aws, but also don’t have the ability to build their own lbs.

they do have a lot of tech as far application loadbalancing is concerned but they are rapidly approaching extinction.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shaggar posted:

Technically for office 365 Microsoft treats reject and quarantine as high scoring spam rather than dropping rejects.

Weird, but not surprising because holy hell some people just really can't stand the idea that any mail would ever be dropped for any reason and are incredibly paranoid that they might miss an e-mail.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. the reality is the user will never see it, but iirc quarantined messages like that can be released to the recipient where rejected messages are gone.

its a fine compromise I guess.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Nailed it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Celexi posted:

the ones that get through on mine generally show it as reply-to or that on behalf of thing rather than the actual from

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

is anyone turning away from cisco given their nonstop pants on head stupid vulns or are they still worth it?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

there's not really any vendor that does everything like cisco does so unless you want to manage 4-5 different network operating systems just to keep the lights on it's a pretty good sell regardless of how terrible it is

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

speaking of the invoicing fraud, apparently one of the more profitable scams has been to email or call buyers and escrow agents near the closing date of a property sale with updated wire transfer information.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
the fake invoices thing is a little funny because it’s a case of everything old being new again

that sort of thing is like half the reason your accounts payable position exists to begin with

then, once the AP clerk determines the invoice is legitimate and the goods have been received, they put it in a pile until it’s at least 60 days overdue

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ask me about losing att at every site in the us because ap and procurement were having a tiff about po numbers.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

ask me about losing att at every site in the us because ap and procurement were having a tiff about po numbers.

:allears:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

on the off chance you are serious, F5 is one of the top industry standard loadbalancers, they do layer 2 to 7 loadbalancing and fit in to companies whose work flow doesn’t jive with aws, but also don’t have the ability to build their own lbs.

they do have a lot of tech as far application loadbalancing is concerned but they are rapidly approaching extinction.

lol thanks but yeah someone else informed me when I used that joke after they bought nginx :tipshat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

speaking of the invoicing fraud, apparently one of the more profitable scams has been to email or call buyers and escrow agents near the closing date of a property sale with updated wire transfer information.

A lot of large financial transactions in Fortune 50s is via ACH transfers started by paper, usually emailed.

Easily spoof the sender, change the bank details, and most Finance Execs dont double check with who sent the request. There is so much implicit trust based around the email of the person who made the request.

Dont ask how I know this....

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oFpTNsPu_w

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

abigserve posted:

there's not really any vendor that does everything like cisco does so unless you want to manage 4-5 different network operating systems just to keep the lights on it's a pretty good sell regardless of how terrible it is
Also a lot of the alternatives have worse security (huawei), pants on head management tools, lacking features sets or a combination thereof. Juniper might be the only viable alternative I guess?

The Fool posted:

Whenever you start doubting how lovely incumbents are something like this happens

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Down in Kiwi telco land Juniper rules, Cisco's only really enterprise/corporate and I think that translates to the AU too

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

juniper makes good routers which is why they are big in the telco space, where you need big routers and little else. cumulus and arista have taken over modern data centres so I would say you're pretty much spot on (enterprise/corporate is still a massive space ofc)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

20-ish sites nationwide lost their primary internet and site-to-site VPN connections for ~30 hours because those two groups spent three months arguing about whether or not the at&t bill needed a PO before it would get paid.

Procurement claimed it didn't, because it wasn't tied to a contract, it was a recurring utility bill. AP said it did, because :shrug:

The final bill to get everything online was 6-figures.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/weldpond/status/1115332247786274816

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a good modern seinfeld sub-plot would be kramer accidentally ego-phishing george

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:cripes:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

actually how do you even dump a USB flash drive given it could have a CPU running an OS that detects behavior and wipes the flash irrespective of any write-blocking dongle in between the PC and the flash drive

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pseudorandom name posted:

actually how do you even dump a USB flash drive given it could have a CPU running an OS that detects behavior and wipes the flash irrespective of any write-blocking dongle in between the PC and the flash drive

very carefully

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pseudorandom name posted:

this is something that security researchers deal with all the time, even for malware that doesn't come on a piece of hardware. a decent malware writer has checks in their code to figure out if it might be running in a test environment, and it will refuse to do its tricky bits if it thinks this is the case

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

the real question is did it use an old exploit, a new exploit or did it emulate a keyboard

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

power consumption would probably tell you right away if anything fucky was trying to spin up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Probably just a HID device.