Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

There's also vcxsrv which I haven't used but is updated more often.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/

I'm glad I googled for 5 minutes and found this.

Much slicker and quicker than crufty ole' Xming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys hoping this is the right thread but I’m trying to find the best way to do the following task. I don’t think it’s too complicated so I’m willing to learn how to make it a reality but if there’s something existing that can do it , even better. Basically:

I have a template that is basically a order confirmation. It shows the company name, then below that it has empty spots where you can type in the purchasers name, address, the date and time of their tickets, what their tickets are for, and then a total cost and below that, payments made. What I’m trying to find out (and FileMaker Pro used to be able to do this), is if there’s a way to take this template and have it be able to automatically read from a spreadsheet or a database these preexisting info fields and then automatically plug them into these blank fields instead of having to type them out each time.

I hope this makes sense and thank you for any assistance!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys hoping this is the right thread but I’m trying to find the best way to do the following task. I don’t think it’s too complicated so I’m willing to learn how to make it a reality but if there’s something existing that can do it , even better. Basically:

I have a template that is basically a order confirmation. It shows the company name, then below that it has empty spots where you can type in the purchasers name, address, the date and time of their tickets, what their tickets are for, and then a total cost and below that, payments made. What I’m trying to find out (and FileMaker Pro used to be able to do this), is if there’s a way to take this template and have it be able to automatically read from a spreadsheet or a database these preexisting info fields and then automatically plug them into these blank fields instead of having to type them out each time.

I hope this makes sense and thank you for any assistance!

What kind of template? MS Word? Excel? Some other thing?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s in PDF right now but it could be turned into anything. It’s nothing fancy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

It’s in PDF right now but it could be turned into anything. It’s nothing fancy.

Oh, so you would be fine to have an application that can read the data from your database/spreadsheets and spit out a file (PDF or whatever) with the pre-populated fields. While I personally am not aware of any application that does that already, im sure there are (there have to be). But, if not, you can ask in the Request a tiny app thread.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome thank you I’ll ask in there also. I figure it’s something simple I just can’t think of the correct way to word it to search for it on google.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
I think maybe what you're looking for is something like mail merge, right?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that makes sense, i didn’t think of it that way but that should work if you can use a spreadsheet to input info?

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Yup, you should be able to do that with Word or any word processor like that if you want.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh cool I’ll try it out then. That should be the answer hopefully thanks

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

IIRC CygWin can install an X client on Windows and, if not CygWin, I know there are X clients out there because I've used them. Not recently, but they probably still work because Windows.

X server. The client is whatever program you're running that wants to display a GUI. :science:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Idea for a drinking game. Take a drink every time a Java program fails to work properly. I call it "poison".

I'm trying to bootstrap Bazel. It seems to be making GBS threads itself by filling /tmp. It's Armbian mainline aarch64 running on an orange Pi 3. I'm using a 64GB MicroSD card for / and a ~500GB notebook HDD via USB3.0 for home, where I'm building from.

I guess what I want to do is to stop it from making /tmp it's bitch. I have no other reason to fiddle /tmp so I'd prefer a solution to be application specific.

What's also a huge PITA is it seems to create a symlink to a file in /tmp. So if I attempt to build after a failed build it shits itself saying the link already exists. Trouble is it's only telling me the destination, not the source so all I can really do is delete the bazel directory, re-extract it and try again.

Any ideas?

I also have to say that the OPi3 is a little beast. I had an attempted bazel bootstrap build running, and opened an rdp session to it (it's running headless) and ran the openai gym cartpole example which ran fine over rdp at the same time.
I think I've found an ARM board that can take my cruelty.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's up with Docker? It asked me to reg an account before downloading, popped up with an innocent-looking "Log out" button on complete, which actually logs you out of your computer (!). Once you do and log back in, it then reboots after a few mins with no warning (!!), then when you're back up, immediately runs (without you authorizing it to load on reboot), and tells you to change a BIOS setting.

This strikes me as bad behavior. If it weren't so popular, I'd have virus warning flags going off.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Dominoes posted:

What's up with Docker? It asked me to reg an account before downloading, popped up with an innocent-looking "Log out" button on complete, which actually logs you out of your computer (!). Once you do and log back in, it then reboots after a few mins with no warning (!!), then when you're back up, immediately runs (without you authorizing it to load on reboot), and tells you to change a BIOS setting.

This strikes me as bad behavior. If it weren't so popular, I'd have virus warning flags going off.

That's kind of weird. I know that Docker seems to sink roots in like VirtualBox, but that seems a little ...much.
It offered itself up for me to sign up for some enterprise version or something. I think that was via armbian-config in my case, so I guess they are pushing value adding. What was the source of your Docker install?

On my issue just above. After doing a lot of digging, it came down to "poo poo sucks". So I've temporarily bount /tmp to a directory on the 500GB HDD. Hopefully the Bazel bootstrap will get there eventually.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

General_Failure posted:

That's kind of weird. I know that Docker seems to sink roots in like VirtualBox, but that seems a little ...much.
It offered itself up for me to sign up for some enterprise version or something. I think that was via armbian-config in my case, so I guess they are pushing value adding. What was the source of your Docker install?

On my issue just above. After doing a lot of digging, it came down to "poo poo sucks". So I've temporarily bount /tmp to a directory on the 500GB HDD. Hopefully the Bazel bootstrap will get there eventually.

I have only used Bazel when I had to manually build tensorflow and therefore I know pretty much nothing about it except that it's slow as molasses and quite wirdly behaving. Unlike you though, my build went well and I haven't touched it since (i am not gonna upgrade tensorflow for the time being).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dominoes posted:

Presumably the Intel/AMD VT BIOS settings which are disabled for inane "security" reasons on various lovely devices.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Hi, i've got a question for you guys.

i've been tasked with fixing an intercom system that no longer has any installer support. In tracking down the issue, i've figured out that it's (probably) a configuration problem. I learned just enough about mySQL to open the workbench and dig through the database. Using the SQL editor I found an incorrect id# in the database table for the panel that is faulted, with reference to an old backup of the database from when the panel was working, as well as contextual clues. I can't use the backend configuration software used for the system to make the change, as that software only states the id# and doesn't allow for editing this bit of data.

I'm a new electronics tech with just some C programming under my belt, so committing changes on an actively used database is conjuring up some pretty unpleasant scenarios in my head. My plan is to back up the database and then edit the ID# to what I hope is the correct number.

On scale of 1-Don't you loving press that button, how reasonable is my plan to fix this thing?
I'll be shutting down the software that uses the database before applying any edits, but is it risky to do this "live"? Or would the software just update as it pulled data from the database?

e- going to play around with the workbench models and backups first to understand this better

Wrenever fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 5, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dominoes posted:

Presuming you're on Windows, it has to do with the fact that Hyper-V is pretty low-level poo poo and requires specific features from your CPU and BIOS.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Presuming you're on Windows, it has to do with the fact that Hyper-V is pretty low-level poo poo and requires specific features from your CPU and BIOS.

This, and the extra dialog prompts were from docker installing the hyper-v feature in the background.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Wrenever posted:

Hi, i've got a question for you guys.

i've been tasked with fixing an intercom system that no longer has any installer support. In tracking down the issue, i've figured out that it's (probably) a configuration problem. I learned just enough about mySQL to open the workbench and dig through the database. Using the SQL editor I found an incorrect id# in the database table for the panel that is faulted, with reference to an old backup of the database from when the panel was working, as well as contextual clues. I can't use the backend configuration software used for the system to make the change, as that software only states the id# and doesn't allow for editing this bit of data.

I'm a new electronics tech with just some C programming under my belt, so committing changes on an actively used database is conjuring up some pretty unpleasant scenarios in my head. My plan is to back up the database and then edit the ID# to what I hope is the correct number.

On scale of 1-Don't you loving press that button, how reasonable is my plan to fix this thing?
I'll be shutting down the software that uses the database before applying any edits, but is it risky to do this "live"? Or would the software just update as it pulled data from the database?

e- going to play around with the workbench models and backups first to understand this better

If you can possibly get a test environment set up with a copy of the database, do that and test your change.

Whether or not you can do that, plan to make the change on production when the possible downtime will affect the fewest and least important users, but when you'll still be around enough other employees to help you. It's a balancing act. Coordinate with your boss.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Volguus posted:

I have only used Bazel when I had to manually build tensorflow and therefore I know pretty much nothing about it except that it's slow as molasses and quite wirdly behaving. Unlike you though, my build went well and I haven't touched it since (i am not gonna upgrade tensorflow for the time being).

For reasons far beyond my understanding, I need to manually build tensorflow. On the way for shits and giggles, whilst divining the correct combination of apt and pip installs to keep everything functional, I successfully installed opennn, openai with gym, and keras (without tf).

When I kicked off my final attempt with building Bazel, I let it run overnight. Just checked it. Successful build apparently. The only reason I can see for Bazel existing, and it being required to build Tensorflow is academia. I don't see any result driven individual or group coming up with something so awkward and snowflake-y.

If I get a chance I'll see if it actually functions today. Then to fail at building TF probably.

For anyone else struggling with Bazel;
in bazel/scripts/bootstrap/compile.sh there's a comment somewhere with an example on how to set the correct environment variable to increase Java's memory and sack size to get rid of the out of memory error.
Net up, /tmp may be too small. I had to bind it temporarily to a hard drive directory. That causes a performance hit and isn't super good for hardware so change it back after maybe.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

General_Failure posted:

For reasons far beyond my understanding, I need to manually build tensorflow.

I knew why i needed to build tensorflow. The C api. At least I got that going for me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bazel exists because Google's in-house build system was so good, ex-googlers were feeling the need to re-invent it at their new jobs. (e.g. facebook's Buck). So they decided to just make the real thing publicly available, after making the necessary adjustments so that it could work in an open-source environment instead of just in the Google monorepo.

It's very literally an industry thing that has nothing to do with academia.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Does Windows offer some sort of event based API that can tell me when new windows are created? As it is now, I'm enumerating all windows every X ms, but that actually gets pretty CPU intensive if I'm wanting to know somewhat quickly about new windows.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Does Windows offer some sort of event based API that can tell me when new windows are created? As it is now, I'm enumerating all windows every X ms, but that actually gets pretty CPU intensive if I'm wanting to know somewhat quickly about new windows.

Possibly a hook: SetWindowsHookEx with WH_CALLWNDPROCRET, look for WM_CREATE and WM_DESTROY messages.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nielsm posted:

Possibly a hook: SetWindowsHookEx with WH_CALLWNDPROCRET, look for WM_CREATE and WM_DESTROY messages.

Oh yes, that looks like what I need. Thanks.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

SetWindowsHookEx has some requirements that make it unwieldy (like having the hook code in a DLL so it can be injected). If you only want to track windows getting created/destroyed, you can use the accessibility functions (SetWinEventHook).

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Bazel exists because Google's in-house build system was so good, ex-googlers were feeling the need to re-invent it at their new jobs. (e.g. facebook's Buck). So they decided to just make the real thing publicly available, after making the necessary adjustments so that it could work in an open-source environment instead of just in the Google monorepo.

That might be the marketing line, but the business reason was the Alphabet reorg: Google's in-house build system is wedded to their in-house infrastructure, but the sister companies are meant to be able to run independently (in case they need to be spun off for whatever reason), so Google extracted something they could use and made it open-source. Same thing with Abseil and probably half a dozen other "open source" projects that have basically zero community or support outside of the Alphabet companies.

It's also a step towards creating a platform for third parties, as well as just being a useful tool for inter-company accounting/accountability.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonfire Lit posted:

SetWindowsHookEx has some requirements that make it unwieldy (like having the hook code in a DLL so it can be injected). If you only want to track windows getting created/destroyed, you can use the accessibility functions (SetWinEventHook).

Dang, this is easier. Thanks.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

lifg posted:

If you can possibly get a test environment set up with a copy of the database, do that and test your change.

Whether or not you can do that, plan to make the change on production when the possible downtime will affect the fewest and least important users, but when you'll still be around enough other employees to help you. It's a balancing act. Coordinate with your boss.

The test environment change looked good so I successfully implemented the change on the working server! There's some other messy network issue that's also way over my head to figure out, but I have the panel sorted out at least, thanks. :)

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I'm not too familiar with github, but I've used it for pieces of code here and there.

Okay, so I found a plugin that's pretty useful and I installed it using Composer.

There are some things I don't need, cosmetic changes, so I was hoping to fork the plugin to my github account, and make changes. It's a plugin i'll be using again and again so I wanted my install to be with my new changes right off the bat.

I figured I can just use Composer again with my account name instead of the original user, but it's giving me an error. (could not find package myAccountName/myapp with stability stable)

Is this not allowed, or if it is, is there a site that could give me details on how to go about doing what I want to do?

I appreciate any help.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

stoops posted:

I'm not too familiar with github, but I've used it for pieces of code here and there.

Okay, so I found a plugin that's pretty useful and I installed it using Composer.

There are some things I don't need, cosmetic changes, so I was hoping to fork the plugin to my github account, and make changes. It's a plugin i'll be using again and again so I wanted my install to be with my new changes right off the bat.

I figured I can just use Composer again with my account name instead of the original user, but it's giving me an error. (could not find package myAccountName/myapp with stability stable)

Is this not allowed, or if it is, is there a site that could give me details on how to go about doing what I want to do?

I appreciate any help.

I don’t know Composer but based on using similar tools in other domains, I suspect what’s going on is the main package is published to a list somewhere and that’s the list consulted when you specify the package that way. Usually there’s another way to specify packages by pointing at any old git repository, and I think this is that for Composer: https://getcomposer.org/doc/05-repositories.md#loading-a-package-from-a-vcs-repository

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I'm not a native English speaker, so this might sound like a really dumb question, but: Does a verb similar to "inline" exist for describing a situation where instead of doing multiple different actions in their own loops/recursion over the same data, you do all the actions in a single pass over the data?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not that I know of... serial vs. parallel is similar but different. Kind of reminds me of long data versus wide data but yeah that's just the data structure. Maybe somebody else knows.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

sunaurus posted:

I'm not a native English speaker, so this might sound like a really dumb question, but: Does a verb similar to "inline" exist for describing a situation where instead of doing multiple different actions in their own loops/recursion over the same data, you do all the actions in a single pass over the data?

I've seen the verb "unroll" used in English for this.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, I was going to say unroll or flatten a loop.

e: actually no maybe that’s not what you meant

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
You mean turning AAAABBBBCCCC into ABCABCABCABC? I'd call that "interleave".

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Just to clarify what I meant, with code like:

code:
for thing in things:
    thing.something()
for thing in things:
    thing.something_else()
or with recursion:

code:
def do_something_with_a_tree(node):
    node.something()
    for child in node.children:
        do_something_with_a_tree(child)
def do_something_else_with_a_tree(node):
    node.something_else()
        do_something_else_with_a_tree(child)
What wording would you use to tell someone to refactor those into something like this:

code:
# single loop
for thing in things:
    thing.something()
    thing.something_else()

# single traversal
def do_something_with_a_tree(node):
    node.something()
    node.something_else()
        do_something_with_a_tree(child)

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I'm just overthinking it and the easiest way of saying it is just "do all the things in a single loop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's too specific a case to have its own terminology,. "Single pass" might be closest.