Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I only realized last night that the reason the B was on the left and the A was on the right on the NES to begin with was that Japan reads right to left and so BA probably makes more intuitive sense to them than AB.

So Microsoft doing it the other way kind of makes sense from their perspective.

What's really weird is I've heard the O and X are swapped the other way on Japanese PlayStations so that's got to be extra confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Imagined posted:

I only realized last night that the reason the B was on the left and the A was on the right on the NES to begin with was that Japan reads right to left and so BA probably makes more intuitive sense to them than AB.

What's really weird is I've heard the O and X are swapped the other way on Japanese PlayStations so that's got to be extra confusing.
IDK why Nintendo controllers are laid out like they are, but that reasoning seems kinda flimsy. Japanese is nominally read left to right, top to bottom, it's only vertical lines that you read from the right.

With the Playstation though, O and X were meant to mirror the meaning of A and B from the Nintendo controllers, except the meaning of O and X as symbols are totally reversed in Japan and in America. They see X as something no good that's crossed out, we use it as an equivalent to a check mark. Teachers here circle things that need correcting, teachers there circle things that are correct (and checkmark things that are wrong!!)

So some moron at Sony America decided to flip the standard meaning of those buttons here and 20 years later it's still a huge loving headache for everyone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

Its actually because A was advance and therefore to the right and b was back and therefore to the left. This same orientation is seen in the direction of travel in mario. Japanese people knew what way english was written the 80s after all.

Sony kept right button as advance in japan but in america was worried no one here would associate circles with "ok" so they switched it to x and xbox copied that.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
How's Owlboy? I like the art style and it seems like a decent indie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

How's Owlboy? I like the art style and it seems like a decent indie.

it looks nice and that's the only thing it does well, give it a miss

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Real hurthling! posted:

Its actually because A was advance and therefore to the right and b was back and therefore to the left. This same orientation is seen in the direction of travel in mario. Japanese people knew what way english was written the 80s after all.

Sony kept right button as advance in japan but in america was worried no one here would associate circles with "ok" so they switched it to x and xbox copied that.

You don't mark a vote with no circle, commie. :911:

"If you can mark an X, then you're my kind of people!"
- Jerry Boyle, Newfoundland Separatist, 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes'

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

homeless snail posted:

IDK why Nintendo controllers are laid out like they are, but that reasoning seems kinda flimsy. Japanese is nominally read left to right, top to bottom, it's only vertical lines that you read from the right.

I guess I've outed myself that the only 'japanese' media I've ever read were translated manga. where the panels are still in their original right-to-left orientation. I assumed the language itself was also right-to-left.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay but how did Japanese people ever settle on L and R as the names for half the buttons

Like, that seems tough for them to navigate phenomically

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Okay but how did Japanese people ever settle on L and R as the names for half the buttons

Like, that seems tough for them to navigate phenomically
The L/R thing in Japanese is way overblown, as is the terminal N/M thing

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

homeless snail posted:

The L/R thing in Japanese is way overblown, as is the terminal N/M thing

I was playing 'Burning Rangers' for the Saturn today and a character was very clearly and audibly introduced by the voice actor as "Leed Phoenix" at the exact same moment his name, Reed Phoenix, is on screen.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Imagined posted:

I guess I've outed myself that the only 'japanese' media I've ever read were translated manga. where the panels are still in their original right-to-left orientation. I assumed the language itself was also right-to-left.

Japanese is read left-to-right when oriented horizontally, like the text right here. Traditionally it is written and read vertically, top-to-bottom, lines going right-to-left. This is what you'll see in actual books, novels, newspapers, and most comics.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

"If you can mark an X, then you're my kind of people!"
- Jerry Boyle, Newfoundland Separatist, 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes'

Holy poo poo, this brought me back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

homeless snail posted:

With the Playstation though, O and X were meant to mirror the meaning of A and B from the Nintendo controllers, except the meaning of O and X as symbols are totally reversed in Japan and in America. They see X as something no good that's crossed out, we use it as an equivalent to a check mark. Teachers here circle things that need correcting, teachers there circle things that are correct (and checkmark things that are wrong!!)

So some moron at Sony America decided to flip the standard meaning of those buttons here and 20 years later it's still a huge loving headache for everyone.

What? I've never gotten a test back and been excited to see a bunch of X's. X means wrong or stop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Imagined posted:

I was playing 'Burning Rangers' for the Saturn today and a character was very clearly and audibly introduced by the voice actor as "Leed Phoenix" at the exact same moment his name, Reed Phoenix, is on screen.
I mean its based in reality and its a common gently caress up, but its not like Japanese people are incapable of distinguishing L and R (except when writing), if they recognize its a foreign word they'll usually get it right. And also if you're just talking about the letters L and R, they pronounce them differently

Cojawfee posted:

What? I've never gotten a test back and been excited to see a bunch of X's. X means wrong or stop.
Yeah but you might X a box if you're filling out paperwork, which is what Sony of America was going for

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah I'm in the US and have always known O = Yes X = No from stuff in school, so that explanation for reversing the controller never made sense to me.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Game companies put way too much thought into this when they really just all should have used the same buttons in the same drat places.

The buttons could be dog face, cat face, goat face, and whale face, and everyone would pick that poo poo up within moments. No, I don't care whether whale or goat is more "affirmative" or "wrong." I will adjust.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

homeless snail posted:

I mean its based in reality and its a common gently caress up, but its not like Japanese people are incapable of distinguishing L and R (except when writing), if they recognize its a foreign word they'll usually get it right. And also if you're just talking about the letters L and R, they pronounce them differently

Yeah but you might X a box if you're filling out paperwork, which is what Sony of America was going for

So Japanese people circle boxes?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hudson had the right idea with just numbering them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

So Japanese people circle boxes?
Hey I'm not the idiot at Sony that came up with the dumb justification for flipping the buttons

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One button round, another square, another shaped like a star and the last like a dollar sign

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, this brought me back.

Apparently it's still going. Was doing a youtube search for that line and they sell seasons.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The correct layout is OUYA

The actual correct buttons are NESW because it makes sense even when the controller is rotated and easy to communicate

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Heath posted:

One button round, another square, another shaped like a star and the last like a dollar sign

Physical corners on buttons would suck, but just having these pictures on the buttons? Yes, fine, that would work originally, but Sony hosed up using some of those shapes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

asecondduck posted:

The correct layout is OUYA

The actual correct buttons are NESW because it makes sense even when the controller is rotated and easy to communicate

What if each face button was an arrow?

^ v < > :newlol:

Super Smash TV was right.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Press the up button
Which up button

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The controller for World of Warcraft on Switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

Super Smash TV was right.

homeless snail posted:

Press the up button
Which up button
This is how Nintendo does it with single joycons and it's surprisingly comprehendible to people unfamiliar with gaming.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Apparently it's still going. Was doing a youtube search for that line and they sell seasons.

Oh, I know the show is still going, but I haven't thought or heard of Jerry Boyle, specifically, in probably 20 years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

American McGay posted:

This is how Nintendo does it with single joycons and it's surprisingly comprehendible to people unfamiliar with gaming.

And the N64.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason why I said NESW was because U/D/L/R correspond to the dpad, but with single joycon there's no confusion if you say north or up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a switch as a birthday gift! Time to install four games and play them forever

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
thats very specific, choose your 4 games wisely

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Zelda, Diablo 3, Dead Cells, Mario Maker 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Squinky v2.0 posted:

thats very specific, choose your 4 games wisely

Smash
Fortnite
Halo
Smash but a physical copy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Octopath Traveller, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Pokemon Let's Go Eevee, Diablo 3

IMO.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Picross 1-4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joking aside I'm thinking I'm going to get myself Smash, Mario XCOM, Mario Odyssey maybe, and a couple others. I may get Zelda but I played at a friend's and the weapon degradation bugs me a lot. Though then again I beat most of Skyward Sword using the sword as little as possible due to the malfunctioning motion controls so who knows!

Mario Maker 2 may be a buy too

e: Oh I lied the answer is Picross, good thinking

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There are weapons all over the place to pick up but there's also bombs, arrows, and environmental kills. I sunk a ton of hours into the game and the degradation didn't bother me at all -- I don't even think I thought about it after I got out of the starting area.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Please don't bring back the botw weapon degradation opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBA Starblade posted:

I may get Zelda but I played at a friend's and the weapon degradation bugs me a lot. Though then again I beat most of Skyward Sword using the sword as little as possible due to the malfunctioning motion controls so who knows!

In my experience, Zelda, not just botw, has never been a demo experience. You need to invest yourself and really get a feel for the systems for each entry. It will also have a vr version in a couple of weeks, so there's that.