Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Lol Uber driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That seems like the worst time to try a hit and run.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Looks like they had already removed (400000 - 300000) / (400000 - 150000) = 40% of what they had to remove to get back into compliance?

So you do that and then set fire to the rest? Seems easier to just burn the whole lot unless what they removed was the "good" or "valuable" toxic waste??

Seems like it could just be an accident while moving a lot of waste quickly with probably poor safety standards (since they don't care enough about safety to adhere to their permit). At least they had a permit and removed some stuff, so maybe they're not 100% scum?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-06/campbellfield-fire-cleanup-at-bradbury-industrial-services/10978848

quote:

Mr Varatharajan was placed in an induced coma on Friday but has since regained consciousness, and was able to speak to a friend on Saturday morning.

His friend and housemate Vasantharaj Vasanthakumar, who also works at the facility worked a night shift on Thursday and went home soon after Mr Varatharajan started his shift at 6:00am.

Speaking through an interpreter, Mr Vasanthakumar said he received a call from his friend later that morning telling him that he had been injured in the fire and was going to hospital.

He said he was surprised to receive a call from his friend at that time, and suspected a fire, after two other fires had broken out in the facility previously.

Mr Vasanthakumar said Mr Varatharajan told him he was pumping liquid between two chemical drums when the drum exploded, burning him on his face and chest.

Mr Vasanthakumar said he did not feel safe working at the business, but liked working alongside his Tamil friends.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I hope she gave him 1 star.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Eagerly awaiting a statement from Uber explaining how driving through gas pumps and setting them on fire is not consistent with the high standards they expect of their independently contracted 100% not employee drivers, and that they are refunding the passengers $10 fair in full.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, she paid for the budget Ryan Dunn package and didn't get the full experience. Of course he's only getting one star.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Mr Vasanthakumar said he did not feel safe working at the business, but liked working alongside his Tamil friends.

:smith:

the article posted:

"Lives could have been lost," he said.
Victorian coroner Darren Bracken has launched an investigation into the blaze following a request from the fire brigade.

Lucky for me I don't know much about coroners, but I thought they investigated actual - or at least presumed - deaths, not just "could have happened" deaths? Is there no OHSA-like entity there to investigate this?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Buttcoin purse posted:

:smith:

Lucky for me I don't know much about coroners, but I thought they investigated actual - or at least presumed - deaths, not just "could have happened" deaths? Is there no OHSA-like entity there to investigate this?

WorkSafe Victoria will absolutely be investigating, and the Coroner here investigates "fires that are reported and in the public interest".

Also, I saw this set of tweets earlier.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

There is only so much that can be disposed of at the Four n Twenty factory and CUB.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

WorkSafe Victoria will absolutely be investigating, and the Coroner here investigates "fires that are reported and in the public interest".

Also, I saw this set of tweets earlier.

So you're saying Australia is a trash island run by criminals.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's a criminal island run by trash

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise."

This was written in 1964 and remains painfully true to this day (arguably more so now than then).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Very true, in fact our leader shortly after that was written paid so little attention to the world around him that he was swept out to sea in a riptide and drowned.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Very true, in fact our leader shortly after that was written paid so little attention to the world around him that he was swept out to sea in a riptide and drowned.

At least he got a swimming pool named after him. That's more than can be said about the current lot of leaders.

What I'm saying is go and drown yourself Tony. Become an hero.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

quote:

Speaking through an interpreter, Mr Vasanthakumar said he received a call from his friend later that morning telling him that he had been injured in the fire and was going to hospital.

He said he was surprised to receive a call from his friend at that time, and suspected a fire, after two other fires had broken out in the facility previously.

:kingsley: I've been injured in a fire at work.

:hmmyes: Hmm yes, perhaps there was a fire.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I can't count the number of times I've seen this done. 24 gallons is A LOT of gas though.

E: it works great btw

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Why do they need to place the dirt in a safe container? Presumably the gas would have burned off already? If not, why not just finish the job and then put the dirt literally anywhere?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Why do they need to place the dirt in a safe container? Presumably the gas would have burned off already? If not, why not just finish the job and then put the dirt literally anywhere?

The dirt is now probably considered contaminated, and if you just dump it anywhere, it might run off contaminants to underground water deposits or to rivers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grundulum posted:

Gas burning off leaves much less volatile incomplete combustion products so now you are slowly pickling your highschool baseball players in heavy aromatics and unsaturates.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

McDeth posted:

Lmao if you think that a teacher being shot with an airsoft gun as part of an active shooter drill is even remotely similar to the type of mock execution that the Geneva convention prohibits then god drat son, you live in your own snowflake reality.

go jump in a woodchipper

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

zedprime posted:

Gas burning off leaves much less volatile incomplete combustion products so now you are slowly pickling your highschool baseball players in heavy aromatics and unsaturates.

Ah, so the combustion products are different than what comes out of a (properly functioning) engine? That makes sense.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Grundulum posted:

Ah, so the combustion products are different than what comes out of a (properly functioning) engine? That makes sense.

Properly functioning engines have catalytic convertors and even so, were you to saturate a field with exhaust gases and let it ferment a bit, then stick a bunch of kids exercising on top of it, it wouldn't be great for them either.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My company just had to deal with a 14-ft trailer hitting an 11-ft bridge. A significant portion of the money that this will cost us we're going to a structural engineer to ensure the bridge doesn't need to be rebuilt. Most carriers have one of these on speed dial in case this happens.

This wasn't the biggest news of the day however, since at the same time this was happening another driver had been disabled in the road and was rear-ended by another trucker who died at the scene. Both we and the other carrier are now contracting a third-party agency to pull the telemetry from both trucks prior to the inevitable lawsuit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Grundulum posted:

Yep. Ever seen a burning car? It's a huge yellow-orange flame and a ton of black smoke, because just burning gasoline in air with no compression leads to very incomplete combustion.

However, you don't even have to light it on fire to cause a problem; just pouring the gasoline into the dirt is enough to make it too contaminated for use (legally). That's why old out-of-business gas stations just sit there for years instead of being converted into something else. The ground at the site is full of gasoline from fuel spills and leaking storage tanks, and the new owners of the land would have to take all of the dirt they dug up from construction and ship it to a hazardous waste site for treatment, making re-development hideously expensive.

It even applies on a very small scale. Some family friends of ours had an oil-burning furnace, and one of the fittings broke and dumped about 10 gallons of fuel (diesel) into their basement. They called a contractor to clean it up, and whooooops turns out that's now a hazardous waste site and remediation means digging out the area under the furnace to a depth of six feet and sending the dirt away for incineration. In the end it cost them nearly twenty thousand dollars and it's obviously a super sore point because they could have also dealt with it for a hundred bucks of kitty litter and sawdust.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It even applies on a very small scale. Some family friends of ours had an oil-burning furnace, and one of the fittings broke and dumped about 10 gallons of fuel (diesel) into their basement. They called a contractor to clean it up, and whooooops turns out that's now a hazardous waste site and remediation means digging out the area under the furnace to a depth of six feet and sending the dirt away for incineration. In the end it cost them nearly twenty thousand dollars and it's obviously a super sore point because they could have also dealt with it for a hundred bucks of kitty litter and sawdust.

Ouch. My dad recently had to replace all four 1000L oil tanks in his house with plastic ones. They, and all associated piping, sit in a large concrete pool which got a plastic liner installed this time around. I can see why now.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some more posters:

"Work safely!"

"Sharpen safely! One splinter kan cost you an eye"

"Every smart welder uses safety goggles"

"Good safety goggles, a saved eye"

"W E L D S A F E L Y :pwn:"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

"Good safety goggles, a saved eye"

Good to know that proper eye protection saved Dr Strangelove's eye.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

some more posters
These are loving gorgeous :eyepop:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
new schlitterbahn ride:
https://i.imgur.com/ztvngcC.mp4

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You must be this tall to ride:

(Cartoon mascot pointing at neck)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There's video too:
https://twitter.com/AmityNorton/status/1114572270050140161

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

not much, slup with you

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My son has played on fields way more wet than that. Wtf

E lol the gas cans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Everyone knows you dry athletic fields with helicopters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UBeBLDB5VM

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That's also $100 of gas, wtf.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
wah wah wah big baby millionaire baseball men won't even come out on the field when it's raining

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

now that video made me wonder did people really speak like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT-SQUBRDw

Sort of.

Cary Grant wasn't American.