Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

My wife's Pixel's GPS is mostly not functional and I'm debating if I even want to touch a Pixel 3a to replace it when Google can't get the base model working and probably cares even less about the midrange variant. If it wasn't for the camera this wouldn't even be a discussion.

My pixel 3XL GPS is complete rear end too so you're not wrong to reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
FML.

I switched over from a Samsung S8 last year to a Pixel 2XL and was loving it.
Cameras great, beautiful, and fast. There's way less bloatware. The only problem is the RAM (reload software everytime you go back to it? PFFFF)

Anyways, suddenly around a month ago, Google Assistant decided it couldn't send text messages by voice. On the phone, or using Android Auto when driving. It recognizes what I'm saying, it plays the text back, then I just get an "OOPS, PLEASE TRY AGAIN."

I followed every tip and tech support I could find online, no good. I even formatted the phone back to stock, still nothing even though it worked on stock originally. Trying the new Q2 Beta, still nothing.

Now I'm not having a great time with the phone anymore. I'm thinking it has to be something on the account side, as the stock software should've had it working and they haven't managed to make this work out. I am not the first person with this problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, does anyone with an S10 or Huawei have this problem?

Thanks in advice!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I decided to move the clock from the left hand side to the middle since it's usually empty space anyways. When I did it warned me that having in the clock in the middle could cause overlap issues with other icons. So far I haven't had any issues but I'm wondering, does anyone know what these issues look like?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

I decided to move the clock from the left hand side to the middle since it's usually empty space anyways. When I did it warned me that having in the clock in the middle could cause overlap issues with other icons. So far I haven't had any issues but I'm wondering, does anyone know what these issues look like?

Probably sometimes notification icons will overlap with the clock

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sourdough posted:

Probably sometimes notification icons will overlap with the clock

Yeah that's what I figured, I was just wondering if it looks bad enough that it'd annoy me to the point of moving it back and which icons cause the overlap.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Yeah that's what I figured, I was just wondering if it looks bad enough that it'd annoy me to the point of moving it back and which icons cause the overlap.

If you do see it, post a screenshot

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I love how people point the finger at some construed boogie man.

Have you forgotten the android experience requires more fuckery than an iPhone 5ocget stuff working good, here's a little breakdown:-

Is phone bad, yes?
- reset device,

Is phone still bad?
- Factory restore, reinstall fresh and don't include so many buggy apps from no-names from the play store.

Jesus.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Pixel 2 still the best phone in the world babyyyyyyy. Sorry to everyone who got bamboozled by the 3

Q Beta 2 has put the fingerprint scanner on the struggle bus but even with loving beta OS software the phone still rules

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bought a OnePlus 3 two and a half years ago. Few weeks ago it sort of broke down out of nowhere. System itself seems fine and nippy, but there's severe lag on any input, seems to be struggling with any sort of animation (any movement - video, using the camera especially, but also dragging icons, opening menus, etc.) and the screen flickers to black every few seconds. Did a reboot, a factory reinstall, the whole shebang. Didn't help. There's the occasional window where everything seems fine for a half an hour, but those are getting less and less frequent. Can't really find anything about this online. I'm guessing this is I dunno gpu related or something? Real broke?

Actually, I just found how to visualise the gpu performance while writing this post and, uh, well:

That's scrolling. RIP?

Considering the price of having it fixed (which is terribly unclear), I might as well get a new phone. How are budget phones these days? Say €300 max. If they can last two and a half years, they've got this OnePlus beat. Or is just buying an older model of a higher range phone worth it?

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Desk Lamp posted:

I imagine setting it to only show the last three notification icons will prevent that, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spiky butthole posted:

I love how people point the finger at some construed boogie man.

Have you forgotten the android experience requires more fuckery than an iPhone 5ocget stuff working good, here's a little breakdown:-

Is phone bad, yes?
- reset device,

Is phone still bad?
- Factory restore, reinstall fresh and don't include so many buggy apps from no-names from the play store.

Jesus.

Not helpful.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's been years since a factory reset has actually fixed any issue I've had with a phone that couldn't have been done by clearing cache instead so I get legit annoyed people continually recommend it like it's some Windows 98 computer

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

R. Mute posted:

Bought a OnePlus 3 two and a half years ago. Few weeks ago it sort of broke down out of nowhere. System itself seems fine and nippy, but there's severe lag on any input, seems to be struggling with any sort of animation (any movement - video, using the camera especially, but also dragging icons, opening menus, etc.) and the screen flickers to black every few seconds. Did a reboot, a factory reinstall, the whole shebang. Didn't help. There's the occasional window where everything seems fine for a half an hour, but those are getting less and less frequent. Can't really find anything about this online. I'm guessing this is I dunno gpu related or something? Real broke?

Actually, I just found how to visualise the gpu performance while writing this post and, uh, well:

That's scrolling. RIP?

Considering the price of having it fixed (which is terribly unclear), I might as well get a new phone. How are budget phones these days? Say €300 max. If they can last two and a half years, they've got this OnePlus beat. Or is just buying an older model of a higher range phone worth it?

Hmmm.

Nokia 7.1 is $350 if you can swing the extra $50.

Bestbuy is fireselling the Pixel 2 for $399 or $16.66 a month with a Verizon contract if they're your carrier.

Moto G6 is $249. I think thread on this one was good?

Edit: the goons in the phone rec thread probably know better.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 6, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

R. Mute posted:

That's scrolling. RIP?

I have a Nokia 6.1 (US model) and it seems to be a pretty decent phone once it updates to Android 9. It's nothing too exciting but it works. It will get another year of OS updates and another two years of security updates. I saw it for sale in Belgium when I was there a few weeks ago, but don't remember the price.

Edit: just looked at the specs of the Oneplus 3, maybe a little higher end phone than the 6.1 might be good if you want similar specs. I never play games or anything so that never mattered to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's the good app these days for controlling the LED indicator light?

I have a Pixel2 which glows white when I get an sms or whatever. I used to have an app many years ago that let me customize the colour based on the type of notification, and I think things like the frequency of the flashing. I think it was Light Manager I used, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

e: spelling

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 6, 2019

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Count Roland posted:

What's the good app these days for controlling the LED indicator light?

I have a Pixel2 which glows white when I get an sms or whatever. I used to have an app many years ago that let me customize the colour based on the type of notification, and I think things like the frequency of the flashing. I think it was Light Manager I used, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

e: spelling

If I recall correctly Light Flow was pretty popular in this thread for that purpose.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah it's light flow, but with the always on display since the pixel 2 it's fallen out of popularity

I haven't used it in ages myself

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I legitimately forgot the P2 had a notification light... or always-on display. I'm paranoid about OLED burn in and battery life. :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

R. Mute posted:

That's scrolling. RIP?

If that model uses heat pipes, maybe have a look at reseating that, check CPU frequency to see if it's thermal throttling

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Updated to 9.0, and One UI. Everything more or less works the same now. Impossible to outright disable Bixby.

gently caress Bixby.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Updated to 9.0, and One UI. Everything more or less works the same now. Impossible to outright disable Bixby.

gently caress Bixby.

Love the phone though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Love the phone though

I do. I really do.

I hope switching Bixby activation from one button press to two will be good enough to prevent me from ever accidentally using it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

I legitimately forgot the P2 had a notification light... or always-on display. I'm paranoid about OLED burn in and battery life. :v:

I started using always on display about 6 months ago and fwiw any battery life hit is not noticable for me. It's also off completely when the proximity sensor is covered.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

gently caress Bixby.

What exactly is Bixby doing that is annoying you so much? I've never made the slightest attempt to remove Bixby from my phone and yet it never shows up or does anything on my phone unprompted. I can't imagine disabling it would change anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

What exactly is Bixby doing that is annoying you so much?

As a service, nothing.

As a physical button on my phone that stops whatever is going on if accidentally pressed, which was happening regularly when I first got this phone, it's just annoying bullshit. I already use Google Assistant, so I don't need or want another, different service, especially one that's got its own button right next to the volume controls.

Picture bloatware that actually gets in the way, so you remove it. Then your phone updates, and the bloatware comes back, still in the way, and now you're no longer able to delete it.

I'm ranting here it's not that big of a deal all things considered. I just don't like it or need it whatsoever, and I used to be able to turn it off. Regardless, I'm getting much better at not accidentally starting it now.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

gently caress Bixby.

Are you sure you can't disable it because you could in 8.0. I'm on the note 9 and I can disable or remap it to a different app. I know they were rolling out the feature down to the 8 series

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I downloaded bxactions or something to make the bixby button launch Google assistant

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CancerStick posted:

I downloaded bxactions or something to make the bixby button launch Google assistant

I actually don't want it to do anything, but maybe I could find a use for it. Thanks for letting me know about that, definitely interested in checking it out.

Edit: yeah, I think I'm going to make a long press of the button take a screenshot, and that's it. Thanks again! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As a service, nothing.

As a physical button on my phone that stops whatever is going on if accidentally pressed, which was happening regularly when I first got this phone, it's just annoying bullshit. I already use Google Assistant, so I don't need or want another, different service, especially one that's got its own button right next to the volume controls.

Picture bloatware that actually gets in the way, so you remove it. Then your phone updates, and the bloatware comes back, still in the way, and now you're no longer able to delete it.

I'm ranting here it's not that big of a deal all things considered. I just don't like it or need it whatsoever, and I used to be able to turn it off. Regardless, I'm getting much better at not accidentally starting it now.

You can remap or disable the button in 9.0 iirc, check the Bxactions app

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If accidentally pressing the button is the problem, just set Bixby to double press of the button and set the single press to do nothing. Now you've essentially disabled the button and it shouldn't do anything on accidental presses.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

If accidentally pressing the button is the problem, just set Bixby to double press of the button and set the single press to do nothing. Now you've essentially disabled the button and it shouldn't do anything on accidental presses.

Yes. I mentioned that earlier. It's all good now, but ideally the button wouldn't be there to begin with. Anyway, this is the firstest of first world problems and I realize that I'm being a jerk even bringing it up. I'm done now. I love my phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Yes. I mentioned that earlier. It's all good now, but ideally the button wouldn't be there to begin with. Anyway, this is the firstest of first world problems and I realize that I'm being a jerk even bringing it up. I'm done now. I love my phone.

I get it, I'm not criticizing you for not liking something about your phone, just trying to offer solutions.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I unenrolled in the Q Beta and went back to Pie because my images and MTP got basically irreversibly hosed and I spent an hour thinking I had somehow managed to garble every image file on the internal storage. Crisis averted, but I think going back to Pie has done some weird things.

How do I force Google Drive to restore my device backup? If I go to the backup it just shows what it contains and gives me the option to delete it. It won't sync SMS messages despite Drive showing that I have a good backup from a day ago. Call history also has not been restored. Is it possible that it's struggling because the backup is from a newer version of Android?

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 7, 2019

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm going to get :tinfoil: in this post, but this is too coincidental otherwise.

How can you stop Google from listening to everything that is said in proximity to your phone?

Last night, I was talking with a friend and I mentioned that I thought my Pixel 3 was eavesdropping on me because a couple weeks ago I was talking to this same friend about the Theranos scandal and since then my feed has been suggesting articles about Elizabeth Holmes despite me never searching for Theranos or Holmes. Later on, we started talking about exercising and the gym, and she brought up the topic of deadlifting. We talked about that for a few minutes and the conversation moved on, but after I got home later and I was scrolling through my feed, lo and behold I see this:

I can't find any explanation for why my feed suddenly suggested a 2-year old article about deadlifting while describing it as being relevant to "Woman" after a woman near my phone talked about deadlifting. My phone was just sitting on the table, not being touched, and none of my web activity has had anything to do with deadlifting at all in months, if not years. I understand why a lot of topics appear in my feed, either via relevance to my browsing history or just something that has been trending. This was neither of those things.

I know that Google collects all kinds of data through your phone usage and a lot of the benefits and such that come with smart phones are a kind of modern day monkey paw, but this was way out of the norm. I want to believe this was just paranoia and confirmation bias working in tandem. Help?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is probably quite a popular theory. For what it's worth, there have been some articles about Theranos lately. Not sure what even triggered a retelling of the story, often it's a legal decision or something like that which makes it news again. Then lots of articles are written about it and people talk about it. That can easily lead to you hearing about it in a conversation first, then seeing the articles.

However, if I was google, I would totally eavesdrop on you. It's a perfect match for their technology and business. So the motive is there, the means are there, but no slam dunk evidence has been produced as far as I know. Would be interesting if you could try to trigger it. Get someone to join you in a set up conversation, say stuff like "I really want to buy" and then some product you haven't googled before.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shoren posted:

I'm going to get :tinfoil: in this post, but this is too coincidental otherwise.

How can you stop Google from listening to everything that is said in proximity to your phone?

Last night, I was talking with a friend and I mentioned that I thought my Pixel 3 was eavesdropping on me because a couple weeks ago I was talking to this same friend about the Theranos scandal and since then my feed has been suggesting articles about Elizabeth Holmes despite me never searching for Theranos or Holmes. Later on, we started talking about exercising and the gym, and she brought up the topic of deadlifting. We talked about that for a few minutes and the conversation moved on, but after I got home later and I was scrolling through my feed, lo and behold I see this:

I can't find any explanation for why my feed suddenly suggested a 2-year old article about deadlifting while describing it as being relevant to "Woman" after a woman near my phone talked about deadlifting. My phone was just sitting on the table, not being touched, and none of my web activity has had anything to do with deadlifting at all in months, if not years. I understand why a lot of topics appear in my feed, either via relevance to my browsing history or just something that has been trending. This was neither of those things.

I know that Google collects all kinds of data through your phone usage and a lot of the benefits and such that come with smart phones are a kind of modern day monkey paw, but this was way out of the norm. I want to believe this was just paranoia and confirmation bias working in tandem. Help?

Disable Google's app permissions for the mic?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ola posted:

This is probably quite a popular theory. For what it's worth, there have been some articles about Theranos lately. Not sure what even triggered a retelling of the story, often it's a legal decision or something like that which makes it news again. Then lots of articles are written about it and people talk about it. That can easily lead to you hearing about it in a conversation first, then seeing the articles.

This is why it's been on people's minds lately

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If the Pixel 3a XL has comparable specs to my 6P, that'll be good enough for me. It's still fine for now, but sooner or later this phone will die and I can't ever afford bigboy pixel money, so it's good to get a feel for the field ahead of time.

NFC is a must, aside from how nice Google Pay is I have a Yubikey challenge-response added to unlocking my Keepass archive. Fingerprint sensor and stock Android are very nice, but can slide if need be. Everything else is negotiable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shoren posted:

Stop using Google products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ola posted:

However, if I was google, I would totally eavesdrop on you. It's a perfect match for their technology and business. So the motive is there, the means are there, but no slam dunk evidence has been produced as far as I know. Would be interesting if you could try to trigger it. Get someone to join you in a set up conversation, say stuff like "I really want to buy" and then some product you haven't googled before.

The funny thing is that after I told her about Google suggesting articles about Holmes' upcoming wedding she suggested we talk about something completely unrelated to see if Google picks up on it. She brought up John Oliver's segment on the WWE from a recent episode of Last Week Tonight, three specific subjects I also haven't had any recent activity with either. I did see another suggestion about how Bret Hart was recently attacked during a WWE event, but that can be chalked up to it being a trending story.

It would be smart for Google to eavesdrop because any edge they can get for their advertising business will keep them chugging along. It's all so obscure how they collect information, however, that makes it hard to pin anything on them. There's so much data being transferred in the background anyway that it probably wouldn't be hard for the device to listen in locally, pick out uncommon keywords and then send those few bytes to the mothership for targeted harassment helpful suggestions later on.

redeyes posted:

Disable Google's app permissions for the mic?

Do you know which ones I can turn off without breaking basic functionality? Most of the ones I look at give a warning like "if you deny permission then basic functions may not work." I guess the other option is to just submit to the AI overlords since they probably know me better than I know myself at this point.