Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

vetinari100 posted:

Aren't the Histories more like alternate parallel pasts?

The way I read it, going from some of the descriptions, the 'real' world is just an emanation of the Mansus. That includes all of history as well. Something that happens in the Mansus can effect the past of the world just as easily as it might impact the present. It's a little bit outside of time. The Secret Histories are the pasts that were but, due to changes in the Mansus, are now never been.
But the process isn't perfect and things of the old History remain behind in the new.

That's the way it's always come across to me. I didn't even think about your interpretation until just now.

Maugrim posted:

That was my impression too. Whatever book it was claimed the Second History was the "real" (game world) one.

I always assumed that by referring to the Second History as the true one, the writer of that book meant that it was the one that should have happened and that the current state of time is just a pale and poor imitation.
I mean, something being said to be real or true should make it less likely to be the game world I think. But this is all just my interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
So I got to the climax for a dancer moth ending and copied my save and then repeated it for various achievements. Got all the heart/moth ever afters (Clovette definitely my favorite, Ysabet was surprisingly non-horrible, Sylvia and Porter are freaks, Dorothy and Leo were sweet), and found out you can get the heart victory just by doing the final dance as heart. Also figured out the couples ascensions. I then immediately restarted as dancer just to “boost the stats” in preparation for the hidden change victory and 5 hours later here I am with every book at Oriflamme’s and Morland’s read and a pile of expeditions to do while I upgrade lore. It may in fact be time for a break.

Morlands is great for dancer, btw, it generates heart influences as a headquarters.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heart influence on demand is also extremely useful for curses

generate a level 2 heart, and work oop ta mines at the same time with unskilled labour; study your heart with the resultant vitality, you have a Pulsing Air which you can talk to sulochana or a summon about to keep alive. do it twice and you can study them into a Pounding Air, which is enough for any curse apart from the wriggly ones.

it uses almost all your verbs but i prefer the certainty of this to trying to gamble with dreams. in just under three minutes you can generate a level 10 influence, so if you do it the instant your guys gently caress up a 90% chance you shouldn't get harmed by curses

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

ZeroCount posted:

I always assumed that by referring to the Second History as the true one, the writer of that book meant that it was the one that should have happened and that the current state of time is just a pale and poor imitation.

the Mansus disagrees

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
id pay money for a dlc that added random alternates to this game. like you have 2 named cultists of each principle each game, but theres a pool of 4-5 being drawn from

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
oh by the way the cult sim discord management is more concerned about "outrage culture" than they are "people spouting false flag conspiracy theories about the nz mosque murders" so, thats a thing i learned today,

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

love it when the alt right spams pepe memes to generate Mystique, therefore blocking the potential processing of Notoriety by the Weary Intelligence Officer

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Cultist Simulator is now available for Android and iOS. Regularly priced at $6.99, it is currently 30% off for launch ($4.89).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Downloaded it on my iPad, gave this game a try.

After several runs ended mostly by racking up too much dread, I think I’m in a good spot with my current run, but not sure where to go now.

I have a good stockpile of funds, but I’ve mostly been relying on 4-mystique paintings for income, not sure how much I should rely on that now that I actually started a cult which the det can bust me for. Bought out the supply of Mortland’s and the Auction shop, so it looks like I need to rely on expeditions from now on, but the only one I’ve tried so far was an expensive, dismal failure. Not sure what the endgame is either, besides ‘get more lore, smash lore bits together to make higher-tier lore, use lore for ???’

P.S. this game is mostly just making me wish there was a good tablet implementation of Liberal Crime Squad

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Inadequately posted:

After several runs ended mostly by racking up too much dread, I think I’m in a good spot with my current run, but not sure where to go now.

I have a good stockpile of funds, but I’ve mostly been relying on 4-mystique paintings for income, not sure how much I should rely on that now that I actually started a cult which the det can bust me for. Bought out the supply of Mortland’s and the Auction shop, so it looks like I need to rely on expeditions from now on, but the only one I’ve tried so far was an expensive, dismal failure. Not sure what the endgame is either, besides ‘get more lore, smash lore bits together to make higher-tier lore, use lore for ???’

P.S. this game is mostly just making me wish there was a good tablet implementation of Liberal Crime Squad

Set up a expedition with funds and cultist (but don't set out yet), then read the description text that appears. It'll give you hint on what aspect you'll need to proceed. Right now you probably want to recruit way more cultists so you can do the expeditions.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is the best way to get more cultists 'talk about lore, see who bites?' Sending people out kidnapping seems expensive and risky, not sure if I'm missing any other methods though.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Inadequately posted:

Is the best way to get more cultists 'talk about lore, see who bites?' Sending people out kidnapping seems expensive and risky, not sure if I'm missing any other methods though.

Yeah, that's how you get more cultists. You can also get patrons, who can be another way of making money via commissions for them.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

Mystique can be helpful for making it less likely for Notoriety to get picked up. Or you can paint with the Notoriety if you want to play around with juggling timers.

General Advice :
There is a PAUSE. You can move cards and read text while paused. This is pretty important for most mortal players.
Look at your temptation to know your IC goal.
Click (tap?) on empty spaces to be told what kind of cards can go there. Took me ages to work out how to study a can of film until I looked and saw it just wanted funds to buy a projector, for instance.
Related to the above hint and Dread Use funds on Dream when you need to fight Dread.
Expeditions can be risky, Cultists are finite. Consider exploring them with more disposable beings, like hirelings. Boring number spoiler The relevant numbers for tests are, 1,5,10 for chance of success
Talk with your Cult and a follower in that order to see if you have what you need to increase their devotion and more importantly their usefulness to you.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inadequately posted:

Worth noting the in-game description here lies: the text claims this action can attract unwanted attention, but it never does anything negative.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It does produce mystique which is 'unwanted attention' but not serious. Weirdly, following rumours is more dangerous.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Once you get going mystique is a benefit imo. Great painting fodder and it keeps detectives tied up while minions dispose of real evidence.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
What mystique can do is spawn the detective on your rear end if he hadn't been spawned yet. Not super concerning since it's gonna happen eventually, but it helps to be aware of.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Uodate: after faffing about for a few more hours smashing lores together, going on expeditions and painting my eyes out, I got bored and looked up the victory conditions, then beelined for the Forge victory cause I was already rich as poo poo and had just about everything else required. Actually wanted the moth victory but the tablet version is bugged and I can’t enter the club with Sulochana as the entrance fee.

At least the Forge Apostle Legacy is available now, though not sure if I want to do that right away because I also looked up the Apostle winning conditions and hooooo boy

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's not bugged, dancer dlc isn't available for mobile yet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is this worth getting on my phone? The UI is difficult enough with a mouse and keyboard, plus with a way smaller screen I can't see it being fun.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yep this certainly feels like the same "Story first, fun never/well maybe some fun" style of game design as the Sunless games. Could be reasonably fixed too. First as someone who hates organizing AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh make my stuff organized for me. Second, things I want to do over and over again (jobs, translation/reading) allow me to automate. Third the things that will kill me/want my interaction should be more obvious. Oh yeah and let me play whatever profession I want, seriously what the gently caress. I have spoken any disagreement is a flaw by those who think it.

Much like Sunless Sea/Skies I'm finding myself annoyed by the laser like focus on atmosphere/story everything else be damned.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any reason to mess with the initial Weary Detective? From what I've noticed, the worst case is they become galvanized against you and best case is that you get a replacement that's more dangerous. It feels like the smartest play is to just leave him alone.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There was a time when he wasn't guaranteed to be your first investigator, but now he is, not messing with him directly is probably the safest bet. Which I think is kind of intentional?

But! If you get damning evidence and can't clear it sometimes it's safer to stop them being an investigator for the extra time before another is assigned. Or if you manage to convert him, he can have a good Forge value I think.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

Yep this certainly feels like the same "Story first, fun never/well maybe some fun" style of game design as the Sunless games. Could be reasonably fixed too. First as someone who hates organizing AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh make my stuff organized for me. Second, things I want to do over and over again (jobs, translation/reading) allow me to automate. Third the things that will kill me/want my interaction should be more obvious. Oh yeah and let me play whatever profession I want, seriously what the gently caress. I have spoken any disagreement is a flaw by those who think it.

Much like Sunless Sea/Skies I'm finding myself annoyed by the laser like focus on atmosphere/story everything else be damned.

I'd say more 'convenience be damned' but more because fun is pretty subjective. But yeah, even with the QoL changes (double clicking, the blue box of sending things to) since launch can't dispute your annoyances, other than to say they are partially there to evoke the feelings. You hate your job because you have to actually do it but need the money. You have to keep your 'life' organized yourself in a way that might look crazy to anyone else. You need to not get so obsessed about progress that you break yourself.

Honestly feels less bullshit that either Sunless' combat to me though. And if you are playing on mobile, don't know how the interface works there or if it has all the QoL stuff.

But yeah, game is weird and niche. A mod to make it more playable even if it made it less impactful would be cool, no idea if it's possible though.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Initially the idea seemed to be that you'd get the named investigators first and Weary Detective was your 'reward' for defeating all of them. Its not clear why this was reversed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Where's the cloud save? Why is there no cloud save?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ZeusJupitar posted:

Initially the idea seemed to be that you'd get the named investigators first and Weary Detective was your 'reward' for defeating all of them. Its not clear why this was reversed.

Repeatedly murdering them probably turned out to be too strong. Using kidnapped prisoners or corpses in rituals is "free" but generates a bunch of notoriety as its cost, which normally makes it a pretty dangerous option that you have to consider carefully before using. But you could get into a loop of sacrificing a random victim to summon something scary to murder the investigator, and then since the investigator is dead the notoriety generated doesn't matter so you can just do it again and again forever and ignore notoriety.
Now there's the extra cost that you'll probably have to deal with a tougher detective if you kill your current one.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

it'd be nice if the enemy (good guys) had more of an organization to interact with, like corrupting members of the police department or summoning a crafty horror that inflicts terror within the building. Maybe turning the detective's partner into a zealot to stymie his efforts. I like having all the cult stuff, but only having single (foolish) investigators feels like a missed opportunity.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I think the idea is that the threat increases over time, where you sometimes have to kill people but doing so never makes the problem go away. The suppression bureau is unfathomably larger than you, not entirely unlike the cosmic forces you're also trifling with.

It goes with the general theme of cosmic horror that return isn't possible. You either archive some form of (possibly literal) catharsis or are consumed by the forces you put in motion. The problem is that the game doesn't have this sense of mounting chaos. Madness is manageable, cultists are a tool in your toolbox, and the investigator is just another meter to feed.

I remember a King of Dragon Pass LP a while back commented that succeeding at the game required the player to try to leave their cultural assumptions behind and assume the perspective of a cow-obsessed viking lawyer. Cultist Simulator had a few places where the flavor text made me thing "all right, I'm insane now", but the gameplay feels more like Sensible Account Manager Simulator.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find it possible pulls a deeper trick. The risk is not madness or despair (they are manageable, though I kind of wish opium triggered health risks more often).

The theme and risk are obsession, things become dangerous when you are too tied up seeking your goal. You are too busy fixing a mirror or kidnapping someone to destroy evidence. Too busy trying to find a way to Port Noon to take care of your mental health. Too busy performing rites to maintain an income. Too busy playing Cultist Simulator to eat and drink and socialize. Maybe too meta on the last.

But yes, things are manageable. The game is beatable once you learn it, which is part of why I think the success rate caps out, to try and not make it always so sure as that. Considering the learning curve some people find though, I'm loathe to say the game should be harder or more dangerous.

Perhaps, it is better for someone with those concerns to not, say, find all the followers and buy all the books before trying to make progress, not make a huge nestegg of funds before seeking success. Speedrun strats, kind of. The NG+ legacies have a sprinkling of this but... I feel they are a bit too reliant on Port Noon.

EDIT : These are tired reflexive ramblings so sorry if I failed to actually address the points of the previous post.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Microcline posted:

Cultist Simulator had a few places where the flavor text made me thing "all right, I'm insane now", but the gameplay feels more like Sensible Account Manager Simulator.

I agree with this. The closest I've been to feeling the existential dread is when you start accruing Marks towards your ascension and you have to regularly "consume" people to increase/maintain them. It'd be nice if your "transformation" had real effects like being unable to go to work or drawing in assassins (like New Game+).

I think what gets me most about this game is how same-y it is. Every run is the same followers with the same affiliations, the same patrons with the same basic research requests, the same books and expeditions with the same rewards. Even the Mansus with its ephemeral nature is practically solid with the same sets of rewards along its paths each playthrough. This game definitely needed some aspect of personalized experience, probably through randomization, in each run outside of the starting scenario/cult focus.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 8, 2019

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, I just had my Grail newgame+ end due to poor health, fair enough. Do you truly only get one attempt at the newgame+ and then it's gone until you win another standard victory? That's brutal.

Can someone explain to me how the rival Longs work? It seemed like sending more than one cultist to spy on them meant the "extra" cultists weren't coming back for a long time. The negative effects of their actions were also pretty weak. Basically, please spoil this particular aspect of the game to me because who knows when or if I'll ever see it again...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Bramble posted:

Ok, I just had my Grail newgame+ end due to poor health, fair enough. Do you truly only get one attempt at the newgame+ and then it's gone until you win another standard victory? That's brutal.

Can someone explain to me how the rival Longs work? It seemed like sending more than one cultist to spy on them meant the "extra" cultists weren't coming back for a long time. The negative effects of their actions were also pretty weak. Basically, please spoil this particular aspect of the game to me because who knows when or if I'll ever see it again...

IIRC you can just go to the menu and restart your run if you're going to lose, and you can keep that ascension run. As for rivals as far as I can tell because I haven't gotten that far in new game+, the threats they present are pretty minor at first but they act as a ticking clock because occasionally some of their actions basically level them up, and if it reaches a certain point I think the danger escalates a lot. You kind of want to just slow them down while working quickly toward your own goal.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thanks for the insight!

Is there no dancer DLC on iOS? I thought there was because I've drawn Sulochana a few times, but I just did the pre-req for the dancer legacy and it's not showing up!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
About the power of rival Longs. Sending minions (hirelings and summons are fine) can let you uncover information and delay their attacks. When the attack happens you often can send someone to foil it. If you do foil it, they will take you more seriously and become stronger. Eliminating them requires they become strong enough in one area to more openly trouble you. So, act as you see fit. mostly I chucked a spare Maid in the Mirror to slow down two types of attack.

EDIT : No DLC on mobile yet, IIRC.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It is worth tanking the longs, then once you're ready for your endgame, rile them up and kill them

If you get too rowdy too quickly they will crush you though. I've only fought 'em in reality and in dreams, but as they get to the higher levels of power their attacks are really quite damaging. Never seen a high level intriguer, not sure what that direct conflict involves

I ain't spoiling this because it's really just confirmation that a game mechanic works as described in-game, but again - you really don't want to face a powerful long without a very mature cult, so try not to block their early attacks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think what gets me most about this game is how same-y it is. Every run is the same followers with the same affiliations, the same patrons with the same basic research requests, the same books and expeditions with the same rewards. Even the Mansus with its ephemeral nature is practically solid with the same sets of rewards along its paths each playthrough. This game definitely needed some aspect of personalized experience, probably through randomization, in each run outside of the starting scenario/cult focus.

It really does need some variation. Modding it is pretty trivial though; the hardest part would be creating the requisite art for new cards. I might try and create a randomised mansus mod, but the tricky bit there would be working out the impact of changing e.g. access to Heart influences

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/systemchalk/status/1116127800593772544

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Edit: Cranky post about game rng without backing it up. Also I missed a joke I guess? Maybe it was in the audio or maybe I'm just oblivious. Probably both.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
1. Stop following this thread.

2. Aw, someone didn't get the joke.