Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

We think everyone should have guns as long as no one comes near us lawmakers carrying guns.

Tell that to Steve Buckshot Balls Scalise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I love this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Stereotype posted:

Ambassadors basically don’t do anything and have always been cushy positions for the President’s friends.

This only became true with the expansion of the bureaucracy and ease of travel in the 20th century.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Krispy Wafer posted:

This is loving stupid. Texas is pretty darn gun friendly, but because it wouldn’t be extra gun friendly, activists were yelling for lawmakers to be lynched.

Even better, it sounds like it was in the process of becoming more gun friendly but some gun nut didn't feel it was becoming friendlier fast enough and decided to hurry it along in the worst way possible and ruined it.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

If this were on the TV in the background at some airport, I'd swear it was some Gabriel Byrne movie or something where the baddie father-in-law starts an unpleasant wedding toast, apropos of nothing, just before a random gun fight. Or maybe something from "The Crying Game"?

"An 81-year-old Englishman woke up after having suffered from a stroke speaking only Welsh. The catch? He never formally learned Welsh, and was last in the country 70 years ago."

https://www.medicaldaily.com/stroke-victim-wakes-only-speaking-language-he-never-formally-learned-244096

Edited to add a question mark.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 7, 2019

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

haveblue posted:

Even better, it sounds like it was in the process of becoming more gun friendly but some gun nut didn't feel it was becoming friendlier fast enough and decided to hurry it along in the worst way possible and ruined it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. It's just that so often there's zero consequences for that kind of behavior at all, no matter how bad the behavior or how slight the consequences I thought it was kind of interesting. Yeah a couple of guys were threatening legislators, but Scalise got shot at their little congressional baseball game and that didn't change anything.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Reposted from the news thread, sorry if I missed it here. Let your reps know (theoretically they own the money that is ICE bound, of course).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This isn't the first time this has happened. Last legislative session the open carry nutjobs did something similar which lead the legislature to pass a bill to allow people with concealed carry permits to carry openly.

Which you would think would be a "victory" for the open carry folks...

...until you learned that the leader of the open carry groups is unable to get a CCP due to an old burglary conviction.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Hill’s tan Oakley sunglasses matched his military fatigues. Hanging from his shoulder was an AR-15, fitted with a bump stock. It was just a few days before a federal ban on the devices took effect."

"Some of Hill’s talking points were what you might expect: gun rights and government overreach. But about five minutes in, the speech turned to Georgia’s newest anti-abortion measure, which bans abortions after a heartbeat is detected in an embryo, or at about six weeks. The bill now needs Gov. Brian Kemp’s signature to become law."

"You’re going to have good people in Georgia saying, 'Nah. I’ll come to your state and I’ll help protect the life of that unborn child. And I’ll kick that doctor’s rear end. I’ll drag him away from that table. I’ll take him outside and — not being radical, but — he needs a foot up his rear end. That’s murder. Somebody needs to stop a murderer. If you can stop a murderer before it happens, then your conscience is clear. Go with God. May God be with you,' Hill said.

https://www.wabe.org/a-threat-of-violence-as-georgia-abortion-bill-awaits-signature/

The wee bit of bolding is mine.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Sorry to Kramer into the new thread especially after I’ve done nothing but lurk the last several hundred pages of the previous thread, but goddammit a bunch of morons in various #resistance groups I’m in on social media keep defending Biden’s creepy touching poo poo. I tried to explain that it’s gross and criminal even if he didn’t mean it to be because it’s not just about intentions, it’s about impact. And now I’ve got people interweb shouting at me, because apparently if it’s not “sexual” contact, it’s ok/not so bad?

It’s making me lose it a bit because as a person who’s been assaulted numerous times, including by a grandfather figure, I feel gaslit af with this coming from members of these groups. And they’re all women.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ars Arcanum posted:

Sorry to Kramer into the new thread especially after I’ve done nothing but lurk the last several hundred pages of the previous thread, but goddammit a bunch of morons in various #resistance groups I’m in on social media keep defending Biden’s creepy touching poo poo. I tried to explain that it’s gross and criminal even if he didn’t mean it to be because it’s not just about intentions, it’s about impact. And now I’ve got people interweb shouting at me, because apparently if it’s not “sexual” contact, it’s ok/not so bad?

It’s making me lose it a bit because as a person who’s been assaulted numerous times, including by a grandfather figure, I feel gaslit af with this coming from members of these groups. And they’re all women.

You're not wrong. Time magazine put Biden on the front cover this week so they could navel gaze about him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ars Arcanum posted:

How old are they? There's a big generational divide in the reaction to this.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1114235976212254721

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ars Arcanum posted:

Yeah we experienced the same thing the other day. My wife (who was assaulted in college) posted something on Facebook about how his actions are not appropriate and my mother-in-law’s wife went after her comments. Then my mother in law thought it would be a great idea to respond to that thread by basically saying she she was agreeing with what her wife said defending Biden. Keep in mind that my MIL knows about what my wife went through for years after she was assaulted.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ars Arcanum posted:

While lots of people here in this thread have seen all the super creepy Biden Touching Women images and videos for years now and already knew that he is like that, but most people, especially old white democrats who see him as a competent and stable statesman, haven’t seen them and are really not reacting super rationally to learning the news.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah we experienced the same thing the other day. My wife (who was assaulted in college) posted something on Facebook about how his actions are not appropriate and my mother-in-law’s wife went after her comments. Then my mother in law thought it would be a great idea to respond to that thread by basically saying she she was agreeing with what her wife said defending Biden. Keep in mind that my MIL knows about what my wife went through for years after she was assaulted.

I think I did a pretty good job talking my parents out of Biden over the holidays. They both seem to really like Warren now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I think I did a pretty good job talking my parents out of Biden over the holidays. They both seem to really like Warren now
My MIL is a Dem fundraiser who hosted a private fundraising event for Warren when she first ran for Senate.

She really doesn’t like Bernie though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Ask them how they'd feel if it were their daughter he was touching and sniffing

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Pakled posted:

How old are they? There's a big generational divide in the reaction to this.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1114235976212254721

The groups are pretty big and have a lot of different ages, but I can’t see these posters because it’s Facebook and most of them have locked profiles and their avatars aren’t pictures of them (that’s how my Facebook is set up, too).

I can kind of understand the age divide, but it doesn’t make me feel any better (and I’m 38).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Google Butt posted:

Ask them how they'd feel if it were their daughter he was touching and sniffing

Or point out these are the exact same rationalizations chuds use to explain away Trump's history of sexual assault.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Stereotype posted:

While lots of people here in this thread have seen all the super creepy Biden Touching Women images and videos for years now and already knew that he is like that, but most people, especially old white democrats who see him as a competent and stable statesman, haven’t seen them and are really not reacting super rationally to learning the news.

I commented in the thread that there was tons of easily accessible footage of him touching women and girls, often repeatedly and despite their obvious discomfort. One poster came in to say poo poo about how he hugs and kisses men too, so does that mean he’s gay (wtf?). Then she went on to accuse me of being a cold-hearted bitch who doesn’t appreciate someone who truly cares for people and basically said people who stiffen or recoil from others touching them are bad.

I know logically that even well-meaning people are often ignorant assholes, but gently caress. The videos of him stroking people doesn’t just gross me out as a fellow person, they viscerally mess with me because I was abused for years by a family member from the time I was tiny until I was about 12. Seeing people defending him in a group that’s supposed to be about progressivism and feminism is loving up my exhausted brain.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 7, 2019

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

For gently caress’s sake. This reminds me of my friend/former coworker, whose mother (who barely earns more than poverty wages), voted for trump even though her daughter (the aforementioned friend/ex-coworker) is openly bi and is engaged to another woman (my other friend/ex-coworker). She also works at a women’s college.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Ars Arcanum posted:

I'm a guy and I've had to tolerate a couple of bosses who liked to give morale boosting shoulder rubs. I hated it, always tensed up and then had to awkwardly explain why I hated being touched which is a dumb conversation at work, and I always felt like I was the one in the wrong because how hard is it to not loving touch somebody.

Now here we are explaining that unwelcome touch, even if it's not sexual, is just that unwelcome, and the people who are complaining about it are being to sensitive because he's just being friendly.

gently caress em.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Glumslinger posted:

I should ask my mother about it. She passionately hates Trump and was rah-rah about Biden the last few times I talked politics with her, but it's been a little while.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ars Arcanum posted:

IME, longtime relatively uninvolved dems are very frightened that Biden was our only hope, and possibly losing Biden means the fecal smear wins in 2020. Pointing them to polls showing acceptance of the green new deal, happy future health care, and how lovely regressive environmental policy is lovely, etc., works.

Also, there's plenty of other candidates out there.

Edit, yep, pointing out how we've all been loving manhandled by people in power at one time or another is a thing too. :(

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Good news McMagic

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1114724507892240385

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Need some help guys.

What do you say to the claim that tax cuts aren't a subsidy because tax cuts just let people keep money they earned which shouldn't have been taxed in the first place?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ars Arcanum posted:

For gently caress’s sake. This reminds me of my friend/former coworker, whose mother (who barely earns more than poverty wages), voted for trump even though her daughter (the aforementioned friend/ex-coworker) is openly bi and is engaged to another woman (my other friend/ex-coworker). She also works at a women’s college.
Politics makes people dumb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Manchin won relatively easily, not sure why they're referring to that as 'the race of his life'

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Interweb posted:

Need some help guys.

What do you say to the claim that tax cuts aren't a subsidy because tax cuts just let people keep money they earned which shouldn't have been taxed in the first place?

That's not a factual claim, that's just an opinion. You're not going to make any progress against "Taxation=Theft"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FlamingLiberal posted:

Manchin won relatively easily, not sure why they're referring to that as 'the race of his life'

Eh, a 3% win is hardly a walk, and it was still the closest race he's had since running for state house in the 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Manchin#Electoral_history

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr Interweb posted:

Need some help guys.

That it's a dumb claim with no basis in reality?

I mean, ask them to define how much someone *should* be taxed. Ask for an in depth explanation of how they arrived at that number.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Need some help guys.

Why should they not have been taxed in the first place again?

Anyway, if they're businessy types:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tax+cuts&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi41In2_7zhAhWB34MKHcxyCt0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1266&bih=980

For example: https://psmag.com/economics/the-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-of-2017-has-not-paid-for-itself

"The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 Has Not Paid for Itself"

"The Republican legislation, coupled with spending bills, accounts for 46 percent of the growing deficit."

etc.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mr Interweb posted:

Need some help guys.

Of course they owe it. Do they not receive the benefit of (public education\federal highways\national defense\pick your statist poison of choice)?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I almost reflexively scream, "gently caress JOE MANCHIN!" every time I read his name.

So, I've been living in the states for most of my life and if I wanted to naturalize instead of re-up a green card, it would cost an extra $600, and I could be stripped of it for having an affair....

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 7, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Watching NBC news in advance of SNL and they literally just report "Trump says immigrants are faking asylum claims", play clips of him saying stuff, and move on. How is this doing anything besides boosting Trump's fake opinions, uncritically, to even more people? This is literally the day after the huge report of how dangerous things are right now for so many women in Central America, but they don't say any of that. Its so infuriating.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yawgmoft posted:

Watching NBC news in advance of SNL and they literally just report "Trump says immigrants are faking asylum claims", play clips of him saying stuff, and move on. How is this doing anything besides boosting Trump's fake opinions, uncritically, to even more people? This is literally the day after the huge report of how dangerous things are right now for so many women in Central America, but they don't say any of that. Its so infuriating.

This is what's considered impartial reporting nowadays. Because examining the factual basis of any of the president's statements instantly paints Trump in a negative light and that's bias.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Thanks goons; it’s a bit late where I live, so most of my friends are offline. I feel much better knowing that others see Biden’s actions for the poo poo they are and for knowing I’m not alone with having people who are supposed to be with you act and vote like assholes. Despite the wacky derails and occasional trolls, this thread is a good place.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

I almost reflexively scream, "gently caress JOE MANCHIN!" every time I read his name.

So, I've been living in the states for most of my life and if I wanted to naturalize instead of re-up a green card, it would cost an extra $600, and I could be stripped of it for having an affair....

The Ten Commandments:

1. Be white.

2. See 1.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Why is it that when you click onto some right wing jerk on Twitter, their own Twitter is always just pages and pages of right wing memes? Never like a single, "Oh man check out this hot dog!" or "Sitting in line at DMV, this sucks" or anything, it's just memes and memes for days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Because they're either a bot or posting memes is the most notable thing that they ever do.