Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

asecondduck posted:

The reason why I said NESW was because U/D/L/R correspond to the dpad, but with single joycon there's no confusion if you say north or up

Like hell there isn't. :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
4 forever switch games
Stardew Valley
Hyrule Warriors
Xenoblade 2
Smash

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sometimes you gotta do a little x now so you can get a bigger c later

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chocobo's Dungeon
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Breath of the Wild
Gunhouse

I would play these forever

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BisterdDave posted:

How's Owlboy? I like the art style and it seems like a decent indie.

I really enjoyed Owlboy. It's a pretty good platformer that's a bunch of fun to play, and has a pretty good story.

Some people have called it a Metroidvania. These people are wrong. There's not really a lot of exploring.

It is a little on the short side. But honestly, I loved it.

But I also dislike Hollow Knight, so I might be crazy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you want a good indie platformer with great pixel art play Iconoclasts instead

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you want a good indie platformer with great pixel art play Celeste instead

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Put me in the "Owl Boy bad" category. It's the one of like only two or three games that I've finished that have left me with a distinctly negative opinion.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want to play Owlboy just to see what makes it so bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

In my experience, Zelda, not just botw, has never been a demo experience. You need to invest yourself and really get a feel for the systems for each entry. It will also have a vr version in a couple of weeks, so there's that.

Yeah the weapon degredation is extremely off putting at first but, as someone who usually loathes such systems, I started to appreciate the deliberate design of it a few hours in.

Weapons are all over the place. It's just one of the ways the game encourages you to both explore and consider resource use

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Heath posted:

I don't think it's terrible, just that people had some very high expectations for it

it was also in development for nearly an entire decade which is a lot for an indie game by a small team

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I thought Owlboy was alright, the best thing about it is the pixel art and music though. If you want an actual Metroidvania I would recommend The Iconoclasts or Mummy Demastered over it though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

So Japanese people circle boxes?

I think the mentality was that you would put a circle around a correct answer (no checkbox involved, just a circle around the correct text) and you would put a X over an incorrect answer. This is reinforced a lot in Japanese quiz games

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iconoclasts fell flat for me in a way I can't really explain. I think I might have liked it better if it had been shorter, but it's already on the short side.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yes that too

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

RBA Starblade posted:

Joking aside I'm thinking I'm going to get myself Smash, Mario XCOM, Mario Odyssey maybe, and a couple others. I may get Zelda but I played at a friend's and the weapon degradation bugs me a lot. Though then again I beat most of Skyward Sword using the sword as little as possible due to the malfunctioning motion controls so who knows!

Mario Maker 2 may be a buy too

e: Oh I lied the answer is Picross, good thinking

It's hard to overstate how good Breath of the Wild is. You don't need to play it right away because it's hands down the best game on the console and nothing else is going to ruin the experience for you, but do eventually play it.

Odyssey will ruin every prior 3d platformer for you. Make sure you're done with the genre before you touch it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1114719595128950784?s=19

Jesus, that's dumb. What's the point?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Why the hell is RE4 still like a month+ away?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Publishers contract with Nintendo to produce cartridges. Historically, Nintendo has tended to gouge the gently caress out of them for higher capacity cartridges.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The point is the game is probably 21GB and they're too lazy to pay for a 32GB card and someone probably said "hey since we're requiring them to download part of it from the internet why not just make the whole thing a download and save another $3".

It's disgusting really. Hopefully it sells 0 retail copies.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i was mildly skeptical of BOTW, but I just started playing it last month and it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

Obviously no game is for everyone. I love Bloodborne but I wouldn't recommend it to all PS4 owners. But Nintendo crafted Breath of the Wild with such care, skill, and detail that I would feel irresponsible not recommending it to everyone with a Switch.

It's not perfect and there's plenty to quibble with. I get why weapon degradation bothers people. But the whole of the experience, the sum of the parts, is just so good. It's so good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

Publishers contract with Nintendo to produce cartridges. Historically, Nintendo has tended to gouge the gently caress out of them for higher capacity cartridges.
This hasn't been true for 25 years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

American McGay posted:

This hasn't been true for 25 years.

American McGay posted:

The point is the game is probably 21GB and they're too lazy to pay for a 32GB card and someone probably said "hey since we're requiring them to download part of it from the internet why not just make the whole thing a download and save another $3".

Me: "Developers do it because Nintendo charges them more than they want to pay for big cartridges."
You: "The developer did it because they were too cheap to pay extra for big cartridges."
Also you: "That's not true!"

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

American McGay posted:

It's disgusting really. Hopefully it sells 0 retail copies.

"See! Consumers don't buy at retail anymore."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i was mildly skeptical of BOTW, but I just started playing it last month and it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

Obviously no game is for everyone. I love Bloodborne but I wouldn't recommend it to all PS4 owners. But Nintendo crafted Breath of the Wild with such care, skill, and detail that I would feel irresponsible not recommending it to everyone with a Switch.

It's not perfect and there's plenty to quibble with. I get why weapon degradation bothers people. But the whole of the experience, the sum of the parts, is just so good. It's so good.

Yeah, I really should pick this up sometime.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
someone itt called Breath of the Wild "gaming ambrosia" and I still think about that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
More like gaming's amnesia because it's so forgettable!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

someone itt called Breath of the Wild "gaming ambrosia" and I still think about that

Surely that was a reference to the classic Ico post

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

More like gaming's amnesia because it's so forgettable!!!!!

sounds like what you are suffering from IMO!! :xd:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Furthermore, Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly I feel like the weapon stuff in BotW is like the timer in Majora's Mask in that some people just have a really visceral reaction to it existing and get super turned off regardless of how the game actually is built around the feature's inclusion (generally because they don't continue playing the game enough to get a feel for it in context)

I had a friend who hated Majora's Mask and eventually I found out they stopped playing before even getting the song of healing (which you learn after the first day)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

American McGay posted:

It's probably not even a whole $3. The figure I remember seeing is that MROM costs about 20% as much as an equal mount of flash memory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

You really dont. Ive rambled about that game multiple times at this point but its a game that combines design like unskippable cutscenes and bad gameplay changes like stealth sections with a story that I am not being at all hyperbolic or exaggerating when I say exists solely to set up a story where everyone in the world gets to hate the protagonist and treat them like poo poo and face no repercussions or change of heart until at the end they goad him into suicide.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I really should pick this up sometime.

it's funny because on paper, there's nothing crazy innovative about what the game does. Obviously, Nintendo didn't invent an open world map, location-revealing-towers, foraging for food to make buffs, giving characters voice acting, weapons breaking, gliding transportation, etc. To be fair, I'm not sure if the climbing system has a precedent, but almost everything else has been done before.

But, none of it has been done better. It's all distilled perfectly and the systems integrate so well that it's such a joy to play. I can turn on that game and sit there for like 7 hours because it just sucks me in.

I'm only halfway through and I had to force myself to take out the cartridge so I could give Mario Rabbids a try and I just want to go do some shrines instead.

gently caress the yiga clan hideout though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is not the worst game Ive ever bought but its probably the one I regret the most because I should have known better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Re: Wolfenstein not having a physical copy. My dude, let me tell you about PC games that are released in stores that are just empty boxes with a code in them. Like this Sims 4 Seasons case I got because Target had it 50% off on release week for some reason.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

gently caress the yiga clan hideout though.

Use ice arrows and magnesis to kill those one shot dudes. In the first room I got in some part of the the upper level with the Revali's Gale and they couldn't even hit me for some reason so I just picked off with arrows. (I know you're supposed to sneak but gently caress that)

night slime
May 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is not the worst game Ive ever bought but its probably the one I regret the most because I should have known better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJGhPooHcfg&t=48s

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
BotW is the best Zelda game since Link's Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Barudak posted:

You really dont. Ive rambled about that game multiple times at this point but its a game that combines design like unskippable cutscenes and bad gameplay changes like stealth sections with a story that I am not being at all hyperbolic or exaggerating when I say exists solely to set up a story where everyone in the world gets to hate the protagonist and treat them like poo poo and face no repercussions or change of heart until at the end they goad him into suicide.

Uh...

I don't think you experience the same story I experience.

He sacrifices himself at the end, which is a little different than what you suggest.

I guess for me, the story resonated because I've been in Owlboy's situation. Where there are people who think less of you just because you're different, and maybe not capable of doing the same things that other people can, so they assume you can do nothing, or that when you try and fail, you failed because you didn't try hard enough, or you failed on purpose. Instead of, you know, just struggling and needing support.

And also, Owlboy has a lot of friends in the game, as well as bullies.

Like, it's cool that you hated or dislike the game. It's a subjective experience. I didn't think the forced stealth segments were bad because it never felt like I was fighting the game.

But I don't think the story is as dire as you're making it out to be.