Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yup, some of the hardest content in the game should be cleared in 5 minutes :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQf1Fr3hjA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I keep getting dumped from the server and having to log in again, is anyone else having issues?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Today was a good day, no more dailies, Flawless Conqueror on the Stamblade.

I can finally quit until Elsweyr.

DoriDori240 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2019

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Scyantific posted:

Yup, some of the hardest content in the game should be cleared in 5 minutes :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQf1Fr3hjA4

Non-stop spider silk FTW.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

DoriDori240 posted:

Today was a good day, no more dailies, Flawless Conqueror on the Stamblade.

I can finally quit until Elsweyr.

or, you know, tomorrow

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pivo posted:

DLC zones give skill points too. I started recently and I played Morrowind first and then did the main OG quest. The DLC largely stands on its own and if a character is namedropped you always have the chance to ask “who’s that”. I think the DLC quests are also much better. But - the whole game world has a bit more meaning after the main quest.

Okay thanks, I started in the Ebonheart Pact for the goon guild, what city should I port to to start their MSQ?

VVV Thanks, Can @Gassire get an invite to the guild?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 4, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Davon's Watch, in Stonefalls

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

I keep getting dumped from the server and having to log in again, is anyone else having issues?

I was getting that a lot a couple of days ago.
Last night was fine for me though.
I can't see any pattern to the days that this happens to me, but I can expect it every few days or so.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I picked this up from the sale over the weekend and I'm prepared to decree it a good mmo. Anything cool a newbie should know about? I'm almost level 10 and this is the longest I've ever played an elder scrolls game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone who mains magblade in PvP: Magblade is dead :qqsay:

Me:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

purple death ray posted:

I picked this up from the sale over the weekend and I'm prepared to decree it a good mmo. Anything cool a newbie should know about? I'm almost level 10 and this is the longest I've ever played an elder scrolls game.

Main tip I can think of is if you can, you should train your mount speed at the stables every day since they cap it at 1% per day for 250 gold and it takes about 2 months to max each section. That's kinda boring though so you can ignore it until you are sure you are sticking with that char. Minmax is to start all your alts now and do the stables with all of them every day so that by the time you get around to playing them they can zoom around on their horse. If minmaxing is your thing. Not needed though so feel free to ignore for now.

As a generic starter rule until you get settled in and are comfortable reading your abilities and seeing how they work with the stats: max stamina if you want to focus on your weapon attacks, max magicka if you want to focus on your class abilities, and don't touch the hp stat unless you are an endgame tank and know what you are doing. You can reset your points in the capital cities for fairly cheap though so experiment away and have fun and don't be like my buddy who deleted and rerolled a level 12 just because he put a few points into hp. Unless you wanted to tweak their haircut or something also.

The anniversary event starts today. For the next week you can get gift boxes that should have some goodies by doing crafting writs in one of the towns. Stonefalls is a good one if you went Pact. Alinor in Summerset is pretty handy too. I think you will also get a cake item that gives you double xp during the event. Doing the crafting writs for the town is pretty easy and they give you tradeskill tutorials at level 5 that show you the ropes.

Skills you have on your ability bar gain xp and level up, you don't necessarily have to use them. At first, to unlock everything, you may want 1 skill from each of your three class trees on the bar. After you get the idea you can adjust from there based on what you want to do. At level 15 you get a second weapon with a second ability bar. Only the skills you have available on the visible bar at the moment get xp from quests and such so swap to the one you want to level the skills on before turning in.

Overall the game is fairly easy as long as you don't try to solo a world boss or group dungeon. So have fun, put your points wherever and go wherever. I think the only thing that can't be fixed or changed later on a character is your class so don't worry about messing anything up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

uh does anyone want some new life charity writs for anything :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have a question about houses, I read there are 3 free apartments you can get on different characters but both of my guys have started in the same city despite being on different factions (orc and argonian) and they've both got the same place. How do you get the others?

And how do I get a table or something for this place?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

purple death ray posted:

I have a question about houses, I read there are 3 free apartments you can get on different characters but both of my guys have started in the same city despite being on different factions (orc and argonian) and they've both got the same place. How do you get the others?

And how do I get a table or something for this place?

You will start on the newest chapter/expansion island by default (I think there might be a way around that??), the free stuff I think you just need to go to the relevant city to do the "quest" to get it? Not sure.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There are free apartments you can get via quests that just involve talking to a NPC in Vivec City (Vvardenfell) and Alinor (Summerset) with any character. There's an additional free apartment you get via a short quest, but which apartment depends on your character's faction - Vulkhel Guard (Auridon) for Dominion, Daggerfall (Glenumbra) for Covenant, and Ebonheart (Stonefalls) for pact. I think you get this quest from a notice hanging somewhere in any major city in a base game region.

Edit: I think you can only get one of these per character, in which case you'd have to make another character to get another one for free.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 4, 2019

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
3000g is a pittance, so it's not worth repeating for freebies. If you're on PC-NA, I'll be happy to spring for beginner housing needs. (@Scarlet-Ibis)

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Could I please get an invite? Thanks! @Gymp

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I just picked up Summerset and found some dailies in Alinor. Do those, or the dailies in the clockwork spot, matter at this point of the game?
I'm still at the level of "get one of each class to 50 to see how they play and decide on a main".

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Silly Newbie posted:

I just picked up Summerset and found some dailies in Alinor. Do those, or the dailies in the clockwork spot, matter at this point of the game?
I'm still at the level of "get one of each class to 50 to see how they play and decide on a main".

If you're a contestant in Fashion Scrolls Online each set of dailies gives you a chance for motif pages, thus increasing your fashion power.

Otherwise no.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Speaking of Fashion Scrolls Online, I finally got my Stamplar's outfit to a place I'm really happy with. I'm also really enjoying tanking with her - go figure!

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 6, 2019

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thinking i might want to use the bonus exp in this event to level my first tank. any good current tank guides for total beginners?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I picked up the base game for ten bucks because gently caress it, it's ten bucks. Does anyone have any good advice on how not to be awful, because I'm pretty sure I'm awful

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I picked up the base game for ten bucks because gently caress it, it's ten bucks. Does anyone have any good advice on how not to be awful, because I'm pretty sure I'm awful

The second post has more than enough to not suck that much.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

jabro posted:

The second post has more than enough to not suck that much.

Okay, cool; I'm always leery of relying too much on posts in the first couple pages of a lengthy game thread because I'm never sure how much of the info there should be appended with "oh this stopped being relevant six patches ago."

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Okay, cool; I'm always leery of relying too much on posts in the first couple pages of a lengthy game thread because I'm never sure how much of the info there should be appended with "oh this stopped being relevant six patches ago."

There are changes with every patch but as long you don’t expect to be a 1% min maxer you should be fine.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

ASenileAnimal posted:

thinking i might want to use the bonus exp in this event to level my first tank. any good current tank guides for total beginners?

Step one is don't level as tank, I beg of you. Level as dps, then respec when max level.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'm leveling my warden as a tank just doing the daily dungeon and it's been very quick.

The huge - huge - huge downside is he doesn't have enough skill points and I'm rounding the corner of 50. Not sure I'd have traded the instant queues for having to go back when I was done and flesh out the passives and such.

Keep that in mind. I thought it'd be good to get some tanking practice in but now I'm not so sure that it was worth it!

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 7, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lmao you can just make your horse stand inside the tiny lovely apartment like "hey boss welcome home!"

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I took one of my free Closet Apartments and just filled it with pets and mounts and skulls and it’s terrible and I never ever go there

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Froidbuster has you all beat, he wasted money on The Forsaken Stronghold just to do this

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Scyantific posted:

Froidbuster has you all beat, he wasted money on The Forsaken Stronghold just to do this

Katamari Damacy looks really good on the Switch huh

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Aramek posted:

Step one is don't level as tank, I beg of you. Level as dps, then respec when max level.

went with an argonian dragonknight and im leveling as a halfassed sword and board dps until i hit max level. should i dump points into health and stamina only once i max out or should i put some in magika as well?

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

went with an argonian dragonknight and im leveling as a halfassed sword and board dps until i hit max level. should i dump points into health and stamina only once i max out or should i put some in magika as well?

What Ara is saying is S&B is pretty much only for tanking, so your dps and thus xp gain will be poo. Go for DW and add a bow to your backbar at lvl 15. All points into stam, then once you hit cp 160 you can respec if you want (you'll get a free respec scroll along the way as a leveling reward).

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Scyantific posted:

This sparks joy.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Are 2 handers pointless to try and use? I feel like every guide I look at is DW/bow or for stam builds or a dumb staff for magic. My biggest gripe when I last tried this game was that I never felt viable using a big ol' axe or sword and whenever I wanted to use magic I had to use a stupid tree branch.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ukrainius maximus posted:

Are 2 handers pointless to try and use? I feel like every guide I look at is DW/bow or for stam builds or a dumb staff for magic. My biggest gripe when I last tried this game was that I never felt viable using a big ol' axe or sword and whenever I wanted to use magic I had to use a stupid tree branch.

i have an orc stamina templer that uses 2handers and i like it alot. rally is a really awesome skill that will make you prettymuch indestructable for almost all main quest content.

i run hundings with the griffon set for the nice speed boost and have even managed to solo a few normal dungeons and world bosses albeit veeeery slowly.

also i think 2handers are the pvp weapon of choice unless theres been some change im not aware of cause i never pvp.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I think my problem is I read guides about the numerical best builds and I need to just mostly ignore that and play what I find fun. Magic is still a huge letdown for me in this game, I just don't find the staff stuff very cool.

I rolled up a Nord templar with the thought of going with 2 hander so if you say it's fun I'm going to just go with it and enjoy the game.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ukrainius maximus posted:

I think my problem is I read guides about the numerical best builds and I need to just mostly ignore that and play what I find fun. Magic is still a huge letdown for me in this game, I just don't find the staff stuff very cool.

I rolled up a Nord templar with the thought of going with 2 hander so if you say it's fun I'm going to just go with it and enjoy the game.

Most of the guides are targeted at max dungeon/raid dps. I usually just look at them as guides then swap out skills for skills I find more fun to actually play since most of the guides use the same handful of skills and to me that gets boring. I leveled my Stam Warden as 2 Hander and Bow and had a blast. As long as you aren't trying to do cutting edge content just play what you enjoy, if you get into high end endgame activities then you might need to min/max your build more but just world stuff you are fine with just about whatever.

I agree on magic classes too, I tend to like a lot of the magic skills but using staffs gets old pretty quick, why I am hoping they eventually add some melee magicka weapons eventually.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've run 2-hand on my main character (stamina templar) for as long as I've been playing, and it's fun and hits stuff hard. It's good for a lot of situations in solo and group PVE settings for the mix of strong burst and passive AOE damage. I'm not really an obsessive min-maxer, like I also run heavy armor on that character for DPS which most guides would discourage, but it's a great setup for feeling invincible while you run around plowing through groups of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Wrecking Blow into light attack into Reverse Slash feels good AND looks good so 2H is good.