Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I get BotW I'll probably just beeline the master sword so I don't have to care tbh. I played an hour or two before, idk, I enjoyed it but there's just something about how fast everything breaks that makes me think it's all absolutely worthless, even knowing it's supposed to tie in to using other means of dispatching enemies. I always liked the 2d zelda more too tbh

Mario Odyssey is probably a grab too though yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’ve hardly played my Switch and it’s doing that drifting thing and having trouble reading cartridges. Piece of junk :argh:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HPanda posted:

BotW is the best Zelda game.

-me

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBA Starblade posted:

If I get BotW I'll probably just beeline the master sword so I don't have to care tbh.

Guess what

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

If I get BotW I'll probably just beeline the master sword so I don't have to care tbh. I played an hour or two before, idk, I enjoyed it but there's just something about how fast everything breaks that makes me think it's all absolutely worthless, even knowing it's supposed to tie in to using other means of dispatching enemies. I always liked the 2d zelda more too tbh

Mario Odyssey is probably a grab too though yeah

No spoilers but unlike nearly everything else, you can not beeline the master sword.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

beelining the master sword means delaying upgrading your stamina bar until you have enough heart containers for the sword and like, that is way more important when it comes to enjoying the game than having the master sword

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Climbing mountains is way more fun than killing stuff

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Consummate Professional posted:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The Master Sword is more for killing guardians than anything else. Otherwise, it's just a pretty good sword that serves as something you can throw in a pinch (it does its light beam at full health). Yeah, it never "breaks," but it does run out of energy and needs to recharge every now and then. And besides, the weapons are really just freaking everywhere.

My one big complaint with the weapon system is that the giant leaf should just be standard gear and not need to take up a weapon slot (or just let me fan with the paraglider).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The purpose of the Master Sword is to 1) have a cool shiny schwing effect when you pull it out near a guardian and 2) to own lovely players who hate weapon durability by making the game less fun than if you don't get it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No spoilers but unlike nearly everything else, you can not beeline the master sword.

Oh well lol ill just have to deal if I get it

I don't even have a problem with durability generally it's just so overbearing in botw from my experience with it so far

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i like weapon durability, i get why it annoys others, but it doesn't matter one way or the other because bombs are your primary weapon

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i like weapon durability, i get why it annoys others, but it doesn't matter one way or the other because bombs are your primary weapon

I feel like not enough people realize this. Like they complain about not being able to punch things, but...bombs. BotW bombs are punching with your spirit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombs are like a spit in the wind against actual enemies you need to fight. Everyone says bombs are useful but theyre useful against the trash mobs Im already just running past because theyre timewasters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you don't like bombing enemies off ledges why are you even playing games

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

beelining the master sword means delaying upgrading your stamina bar until you have enough heart containers for the sword and like, that is way more important when it comes to enjoying the game than having the master sword

Nah you just go to the respec statue and transfer all your orbs to hearts, get the sword, then go back to the statue and redistribute your orbs however you want

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Bee line the master sword, lmao bee line my fist up your rear end

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Bombs are like a spit in the wind against actual enemies you need to fight. Everyone says bombs are useful but theyre useful against the trash mobs Im already just running past because theyre timewasters.

I've killed plenty of Hinoxes with bombs, especially the one on the island because I didn't have the resources.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why do people say “bee line” anyway? Bees fly like idiots. I have never seen a bee fly in a straight line.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Weedle posted:

Why do people say “bee line” anyway? Bees fly like idiots. I have never seen a bee fly in a straight line.

because "straight as the crow flies" is much longer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Crow line is only two syllables

Put me in charge, I will fix our language

night slime
May 14, 2014

HPanda posted:

The Master Sword is more for killing guardians than anything else. Otherwise, it's just a pretty good sword that serves as something you can throw in a pinch (it does its light beam at full health). Yeah, it never "breaks," but it does run out of energy and needs to recharge every now and then. And besides, the weapons are really just freaking everywhere.

My one big complaint with the weapon system is that the giant leaf should just be standard gear and not need to take up a weapon slot (or just let me fan with the paraglider).

The leaf blows away like 1/2 of the enemies you encounter, probably would be overpowered if it wasn't a slot.

Xenoblade Chronicles X (WIi U game not the Switch game) dropped to $23 on Amazon so I bought it. Have a giant game itch from playing through BOTW recently.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

Bees send out survey bees to look for flowers, they come home and do a butt wiggle dance that programs the nectar retrieval bees to fly straight at the flowers she found

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HPanda posted:

The Master Sword is more for killing guardians than anything else.

lol if you aren't using the Master Sword as a glorified axe and ore smasher.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only problem with weapon durability in BotW is that the progression is very steep. It's basically an early game issue, so if you find it interesting it doesn't last and if you find it frustrating it's already given you a sour first impression.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Weedle posted:

Because Yoku's Island Express is really good.

Anyways, there's some glitch where you can trade to the respec statue, save, and somehow keep your hearts/stamina while also getting back extra heart containers. This glitch brought the speedrun for the "obtain the master sword" down to less than an hour.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Let me just use the Master Sword please. I don’t want it to recharge its batteries. Why did I even bother with this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The durability thing stops being an issue once you get weapons that aren't sticks or crudely-made moblin swords. Any decent weapon lasts a good while before it breaks, and you get plenty of them pretty early. Any high end weapon that is fragile will generally tell you, and be WELL worth smashing into something's face.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I hoarded ice weapons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol if you aren't using the Master Sword as a glorified axe and ore smasher.

:yeah:

all this BOTW talk just makes me want to play it again

night slime
May 14, 2014
The master sword beam is good for preventing mental illness with the Korok targets.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The upgraded Master Sword improves durability as well. Higher-damage weapons' durability will last longer in practice, too, because you don't need to hit the enemy as often.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrast posted:

:yeah:

all this BOTW talk just makes me want to play it again

Wait a week and play it in VR!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait a week and play it in VR!

no

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Weapon durability only sucks because it's at its absolute worst in the first few hours of the game, for just long enough to really build a grudge against it. Mid-tier and better weapons are reasonably durable, and you spend the vast majority of the game with them, but by the time you've gotten there you're already spent a few hours schlepping around with sticks and lovely clubs and the damage has been done.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Considering you can kill blue hinox's right off the plateau, I'm pretty sure there's not a *high*level fight that really requires many weapons. Unless you wanna fight a lynel. By the time you get to Karikaro, you're already mid tier.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Picking up fish and mushrooms is the real point of the game. Weapon durability is a distraction

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How does the Switch work when travelling? I have a long rear end plane flight that is multiple times longer than the battery length. Can i charge it on the plane by plugging it in and keep playing it? Just wondering because I see so many power batteries on the switch deals reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think if you bring the AC adapter and the airline has full outlets for you to use you can do that.

I don't think the switch can charge off a USB port if that's what you're asking.