Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

I wish the metroidvania craze just ended already. Every game that looks interesting bam, it's actually a metroidvania. There's even a game where the fact it's a metroidvania is a mid-game twist. Give me back my linear games with no backtracking. :negative:

The Messenger was great though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

*gruff hyper-masculine dude fucks bombshells in between exploring the most boring game world ever designed*

Pls don’t doxx like this

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Destiny fans have a serious case of battered wife syndrome

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Messenger was great though

Eh. Good platformer that turns into an incredibly mediocre metroidvania.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

Eh. Good platformer that turns into an incredibly mediocre metroidvania.

Yeah, once I finished the first linear part and it became a back-tracking item hunt, I lost all interest and having touched it since.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The Witcher 3 sucks and I’m glad I’m not alone

There’s dozens of us!

I got it because I kept hearing that 'oh this game is so good, the writing is so good, you gotta play it'

started it, game already throws naked video game lady at me, holy poo poo the combat sucks... never played it again.

maybe I'm missing out, but I can't really be assed enough to care.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

I wish the metroidvania craze just ended already. Every game that looks interesting bam, it's actually a metroidvania. There's even a game where the fact it's a metroidvania is a mid-game twist. Give me back my linear games with no backtracking. :negative:

They could stop making the same metroidvania game over and over with different graphics and title and make something new, I want to play metroid-souls (or just stop pigeon holing games).

The White Dragon posted:

if you wanted to cheat you would've bought it on pc so you can inject it with cheatengine hooks

Annoying you can't buy the memory intercept cheater things for consoles anymore.
The people who would have the most casual relationship with games are probably going to buy it on a console because people said it was good and then not be able to play it enough to beat all of it and have to sell it or just never get past a point and stop playing and miss out on bits they might have enjoyed (sekiro has a lot of stuff that isn't super hard but is still fun and challenging which slow reaction time/busy people should be able to play instead of being a exclusive club).

veni veni veni posted:

This is why the Souls game basically have the best difficulty adjustments in any game. It's also why Sekiro is making people lose their loving minds because that invisible slider is barely there and they can't easily cheese poo poo and tell themselves they beat it.

The invisible slider is probably the reason people like them so much (invest time in the game and even if you're bad at games you still get stronger/game gets easier so you are always getting progress and want to keep playing) so it makes sense that if you take it out and make it more like a NES game people will get annoyed at it the same way they got sick of that style of games too (get better at game or quit which is more of a competitive than recreation style so it only appeals to people who like that).

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love it how my brother can't beak sekiro and i can, its giving me a feeling that i haven't had since we were both playing ps1 games

like, he's given up and i'm making fun of him for it a bunch

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 7, 2019

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Caesar Saladin posted:

like, he's given up and i'm making fun of him for being a bitch

Gotta admit that's how I read it at a glance

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

actually i meant to call him a bitch, you read it correctly

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
what's with looter shooters

anthem, destiny, the division - all reasonable games with reasonable mechanics and a loving terrible story dragged out to 40 hours just to hit max level.

What purpose does levelling actually serve anymore really? I don't know a single person who likes the levelling experience in any of these games, everyone tries to minmax the gently caress out of it so it's over as soon as possible

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't mind the levelling in Dying Light, when you start everything has a risk of causing serious damage to you, but by the end you're like some deranged mixture of spiderman and wolverine zipping everywhere and bisecting everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abigserve posted:

anthem, destiny, the division - all reasonable games with reasonable mechanics and a loving terrible story dragged out to 40 hours just to hit max level.

What purpose does levelling actually serve anymore really? I don't know a single person who likes the levelling experience in any of these games, everyone tries to minmax the gently caress out of it so it's over as soon as possible

Theoretically, it is fun to do on its own and slowly introduces new mechanics to players so that they're ready for the real difficulty in the actual game.

In reality it exists to string along people who aren't slot machine addicts into thinking that there is a game here that isn't shaking hands with the one armed bandit and for those who are into collecting fractionally different items in an effort to be "best" it exists as a sunk cost to keep them from going to another game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

NonzeroCircle posted:

I don't mind the levelling in Dying Light, when you start everything has a risk of causing serious damage to you, but by the end you're like some deranged mixture of spiderman and wolverine zipping everywhere and bisecting everything.

That’s because dying light fuckin owns

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It reminds me of morrowwind where every levelling decision is made in the heat and fear of the moment

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you suck too badly at a game to beat it, then just watch someone else do it. Just because you buy a new guitar doesn't entitle you to ever being good enough to shred on it. Getting a new set of tools doesn't entitle you to being a good mechanic or carpenter.

I did have a good laugh at the player-created easy mode for Sekiro. The article I was reading about it leaned hard into it being some type of victory for gamers everywhere. Do people really attach so much importance to being bad at any other hobby?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Twelve Batmans posted:

If you suck too badly at a game to beat it, then just watch someone else do it. Just because you buy a new guitar doesn't entitle you to ever being good enough to shred on it. Getting a new set of tools doesn't entitle you to being a good mechanic or carpenter

there's really nothing more adult than just sitting around watching other people play a game you suck at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Karaoke exists and it is assist mode for singing and its absurdly popular.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Karaoke exists and it is assist mode for singing and its absurdly popular.

Yeah but at the end of the day those people know they still suck at singing, or they don't and go on to help make the best part of American Idol- the failures/outtakes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twelve Batmans posted:

Yeah but at the end of the day those people know they still suck at singing, or they don't and go on to help make the best part of American Idol- the failures/outtakes.

So then whats the issue with an assist mode in games? Because its the same thing; people enjoying a thing at their skill level and desire to master content while being aware what the actual standard of skill is.

Although sadly probably way less embarassing outtakes on talent shows with videogames.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

So then whats the issue with an assist mode in games? Because its the same thing; people enjoying a thing at their skill level and desire to master content while being aware what the actual standard of skill is.

Although sadly probably way less embarassing outtakes on talent shows with videogames.

There's not an issue with it, but if it's not meant to be there by the creator then that's that. I didn't say the easy mode mod shouldn't be created, only that it was funny that so many people care so much about "accessibility" in one of the most pointless hobbies. Generally if people can't do something, they're fine with watching someone else do it. It seems only for videogames does it start becoming necessary to cater to any and all possible demographics that may touch it. I've never understood it.

Edit: To further clarify that I do have any real issue with "easy mode", many games I play include "easy mode" mechanics (auto-combos, separate "stylish mode" to do special attacks on single button presses) both intermixed with- and kept separate from more advanced mechanics. Even DMC5 (which I will unpopularly argue has a higher skill ceiling than Sekiro if playing Dante on DMD or higher), has an easy stylish mode which I never use and I'm okay with it being there. I would have also been okay with it not being there. If I was so bad at it I couldn't get better on the normal mode, I don't think easy mode would have kept my attention. I guess I just don't see its lack or inclusion as a condemnation of the game- just a personal choice of the creator in how they wanted the player to experience the game.

Twelve Batmans fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 7, 2019

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Twelve Batmans posted:

There's not an issue with it, but if it's not meant to be there by the creator then that's that. I didn't say the easy mode mod shouldn't be created, only that it was funny that so many people care so much about "accessibility" in one of the most pointless hobbies. Generally if people can't do something, they're fine with watching someone else do it. It seems only for videogames does it start becoming necessary to cater to any and all possible demographics that may touch it. I've never understood it.

I think it's pretty neat game devs are becoming more aware of issues like how dominant hands and colorblindness can affect playing games and to create modes or design the game to get around it. It's also pretty neat what some disabled people can do to play games perfectly normally in unconventional ways without any assistance. I want to learn how to play video games with my tongue or something, for example. I feel like my tongue would get pretty sore though.

What I'm saying is video games are neat and I hope they are here to stay. I hope this controversial opinion doesn't make me too unpopular.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
assist modes can be fun in and of themselves. in celeste there’s an assist option so you can use the double jump that you normally only have for the last level through the whole game. ive beat the game on regular mode but the assists mode is more fun for me on replay cause you can zip around like crazy.

I’m not sure what you’d do for sekiro that makes you powerful in an interesting way while preserving the essence of the gameplay though.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Video games used to be a fun hobby because technology was moving so fast that every year it felt like games were pushing the boundary of what was technologically possible from both a gameplay and graphics standpoint.

That really hasn’t been the case since the start of this decade. We just keep playing slightly better looking versions of the same games we’ve been playing since the late 2000s and barring massive improvements in processing power we are really not going to be seeing much in the way of innovation in gaming for a long time to come. Which is why I hardly play video games anymore. The magic is gone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Video games used to be a fun hobby because technology was moving so fast that every year it felt like games were pushing the boundary of what was technologically possible from both a gameplay and graphics standpoint.

That really hasn’t been the case since the start of this decade. We just keep playing slightly better looking versions of the same games we’ve been playing since the late 2000s and barring massive improvements in processing power we are really not going to be seeing much in the way of innovation in gaming for a long time to come. Which is why I hardly play video games anymore. The magic is gone.

PS2 was really when gameplay hit a wall. we've been playing slightly higher res PS2 games for quite a while now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I came up in the 90s, where you could tell what year a game was made by what it was going graphically a d I definitely agree. This console generation in particular feels like we're just playing better-looking last-gen games that are just More Online.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

fat bossy gerbil posted:

adding to this, there was once a time where a new console felt like an Event, partly because of game exclusivity and also because home computers either weren't powerful enough to run those games or just weren't offering the same type of games at all (i played several of the platformers available on PC back in the day and theyve all aged like poo poo compared to Super Mario World). Now it seems like your options are either a gaming PC or a mini-gaming PC with its own specific controller (that also works on a PC!!). Say what you will about Nintendo or the Switch but at least their goal seems to be offering a more unique experience than that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dr.Smasher posted:

I got it because I kept hearing that 'oh this game is so good, the writing is so good, you gotta play it'

started it, game already throws naked video game lady at me, holy poo poo the combat sucks... never played it again.

maybe I'm missing out, but I can't really be assed enough to care.

It definitely gets better, but it's not like you're missing out really. If the graphics didn't make you think "I want to see more of these landscapes and skyboxes" and the dialogue didn't make you think "I want to see more of these characters" then tapping out at the intro is p much fair enough

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

hollow knight is the zenith of metroidvania games imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

hollow knight is the zenith of metroidvania games imo

Hollow Knight is the only Metroidvania or even Metroidvania adjacent title I've ever played and not finished.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There has never been a better and more innovative time for video games than right now. Y'all are doing the "DAE think music, movies, and video games peaked when I was young??" routine.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Also kid icarus is the best non-mario NES platformer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm not sure I agree but I can tell you for sure the best non-mario NES platformer isn't Kirby.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

There has never been a better and more innovative time for video games than right now. Y'all are doing the "DAE think music, movies, and video games peaked when I was young??" routine.

yeah honestly most of the people bitching about modern games are just seeing the past with rose colored shades

Like 90+% of the nes and snes library were complete garbage

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

I'm not sure I agree but I can tell you for sure the best non-mario NES platformer isn't Kirby.

I’ve never really understood the appeal of Kirby games, they’re all insanely easy (and i’m not ever particularly good at gaming)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’ve never really understood the appeal of Kirby games, they’re all insanely easy (and i’m not ever particularly good at gaming)

The easyness isn't even my complaint, really, its that Kirby on NES controls not so great with lots of lost inputs, finicky run buttons, a control scheme I don't care for, a clunky power-up system regarding bosses, and a final boss gauntlet that changes the game mechanics but not very well at all.

Like Ducktales NES/GB is a super easy game but its fun to play while Kirby just isn't.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kid Icarus is hard as hell and I never got past the first level. Something about the way it controls doesn't agree with me, it feels like it should be a pretty easy game but it really isn't so I get overconfident and try to move forward too quickly.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

abigserve posted:

At least with destiny, what do they actually go onto? I just play it to wander about shooting aliens and having occasional story setpieces. The endgame is more of the same? Not worth minmaxing for IMO.

Except for raids, but there's no chat so in order to participate you must be part of the ~community~ (read: pay 5bux a month to a twitch streamer and hope they notice you).

That's my unpopular opionion - gently caress game communities and especially twitch communities, which are almost entirely composed of forced injokes, kids scrabbling for attention, and bad facial hair.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

abigserve posted:

People like watching numbers go up. The entire genre of idle clickers is predicated on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fat bossy gerbil posted:

This is why it's funny to me that so many gamers are luddites when it comes to VR because it offers more opportunity for games to evolve than anything else since games went 3D. If you miss the years of the original Playstation, when there were far fewer rules a to how to make a game VR is the format to play on for better and worse.