Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Miz Kriss posted:

Watch as instead of female MC, we'll get female Akechi

I unironically think this is what might happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did some recording today, and man, even on fast-forward there's a lot of stuff to get through in the early parts of this game (and also the other parts). That said, there's a pressing issue for this NG+ run I'd like to iron out before we move much further. Here is a link to a poll (better poll here! Vote for every option you'd want!) where you valiant keyboard warriors will battle it out to determine the winning option by... clicking a button and doing nothing else. Please take this seriously, it's of most grave import.

A short update detailing just what NG+ is should be out hopefully by the end of the week.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arist posted:

Did some recording today, and man, even on fast-forward there's a lot of stuff to get through in the early parts of this game (and also the other parts). That said, there's a pressing issue for this NG+ run I'd like to iron out before we move much further. Here is a link to a poll where you valiant keyboard warriors will battle it out to determine the winning option by... clicking a button and doing nothing else. Please take this seriously, it's of most grave import.

A short update detailing just what NG+ is should be out hopefully by the end of the week.
Have you considered using approval voting since there's so many options? Or at least a final run-off?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PMush Perfect posted:

Have you considered using approval voting since there's so many options? Or at least a final run-off?

uhhhhhhhhhh gently caress

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh gently caress
Makoto is winning by a healthy margin, but I imagine lots of people either have a strong second choice, or feel like she might be the only "viable" option.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, I remade the poll! Vote for every candidate you like, and ignore the ones you don't! I'm a huge dumbass!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

So, I remade the poll! Vote for every candidate you like, and ignore the ones you don't! I'm a huge dumbass!
You should edit the link in the old post, too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PMush Perfect posted:

You should edit the link in the old post, too.

I refuse to conceal my shame

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You broke the link.

Edit: Running polls is the hell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really good at the internet you guys

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Looks like the current winner is Everyone who is Mokoto except futaba.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll let that stay up for a few days, though I have no idea why people are voting for Ohya and Chihaya.

Also I expected way more troll votes for Kawakami

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Come onnnn, Hifumi!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

PMush Perfect posted:

Come onnnn, Hifumi!

+1 Hifumi, let's bandwagon her all the way into our hearts.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Leraika posted:

+1 Hifumi, let's bandwagon her all the way into our hearts.

Well, since this is back I figure I might as well finish and post my submission from the first poll...

StolenTeeth
Oct 11, 2016
I just wanna know how a Futaba romance changes the 10 star/heart/whatever with Sojiro. Does he still ask you not to date her? Does he know?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

StolenTeeth posted:

I just wanna know how a Futaba romance changes the 10 star/heart/whatever with Sojiro. Does he still ask you not to date her? Does he know?

Either way he says the same "Don't date Futaba, I don't want you calling me 'Father'... Actually that might not be so bad."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I voted with my heart, and my heart said I personally want to date Kawakami. Anyway actual discussion I think this game manages to handle all the romances with at least a little tact and that’s neat.

Also Makoto is a cop and we don’t date cops and I’m glad Haru made it the first time around because not dating her is a super upsetting scene compared to everyone else in my honest opinion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

StolenTeeth posted:

I don't even think Sojiro has unique dialogue for Joker cheating on Futaba during the Valentines day event.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sydin posted:

I don't even think Sojiro has unique dialogue for Joker cheating on Futaba during the Valentines day event.

He does.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’m still on the “don’t date your sister” team

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m still on the “don’t date your sister” team

I’m on the Futaba’s sisterhood to Joker is nebulous and not dating someone who you are the primary emotional support network of is a bigger problem. But also it’s a game and people can have their own opinions.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m on the Futaba’s sisterhood to Joker is nebulous and not dating someone who you are the primary emotional support network of is a bigger problem. But also it’s a game and people can have their own opinions.

Let's not have these small matters divide us, and instead be satisfied that people are coming to the correct conclusion.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah there are some girls that are clear no-gos. I always found Ann to be one of them, just because she's introduced going through a nightmare sexual assault and swooping in to date her just felt really goddamn gross, especially since she keeps having it happen to her in lowkey ways (she even has a few lines about how she hates her costume for being fetishy). Gal just needed a loving break from people being horny at her all the goddamn time.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Most players don't really care for the circumstances of the characters when choosing who to date. They usually just choose a character with a design and/or personality they like.

That being said I always go with Makoto because she checks all the boxes for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Most players don't really care for the circumstances of the characters when choosing who to date. They usually just choose a character with a design and/or personality they like..
[citation needed]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PMush Perfect posted:

[citation needed]

I mean Mass Effect Andromeda's romance system was basically "Which one of these people do you hate the least?" and the answer to that question was literally never Cora.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum II: Samsara

While we wait for more information on just what Persona 5: The motherfucking Royal is, let’s get into what New Game+ in this game entails. In every modern Persona game it’s a tiny bit different, with Persona 3 being the biggest outlier in that pretty much everything except your inventory, including the main character’s level and equipped Personas, carried over there.

We get to choose, and we obviously decide to carry it over because gently caress if I’m gonna go through the hassle of optimizing my schedule again.

Let’s go through this list item-by-item and see what it means and how it compares other games in the series.
  • Social Stats: Our Knowledge, Guts, Proficiency, Kindness, and Charm will all carry over. This is a mainstay of the series’ New Game Plus modes because without it going through the game again would just be agonizing. All three modern Persona games let you transfer this, and sometimes there are even special dialogue options you can only pick on New Game Plus, though that’s mainly just a Persona 4 thing.
  • Persona Compendium: Also, duh. We can summon any Persona we’ve already obtained again as soon as we gain access to the Compendium, though it still costs money. The discounts still apply, though, which is nice. Again, all three games do this.
  • Skill Cards: Most consumables do not carry over, but Skill Cards do. This was also true of Persona 4 Golden, though only the ones in Marie’s stock would transfer, not the ones in your inventory. I do not believe Persona 3 Portable’s skill cards transferred, either.
  • Equipment: All armor, weapons, guns, and accessories will come with us, though we obviously can’t give Makoto her awesome +10 to everything gun until she rejoins the party. The main character kept their equipment in Persona 3’s NG+, but in P4 you had to start from scratch. In Golden however, you could just rebuy any weapons you needed from Daidara immediately because his stock did transfer. Costumes transferred too, but those are mostly DLC.
  • Money: We keep all the money we have in our wallet. That’s also in all of them, but we don’t actually have that much right now due to all that fusin’ I did last update.
  • Playtime: The number keep go up, yay!!!!!!

Now, you’ll also notice a few conspicuous absences from this list. What about…

• Items?
  • Our equipped Personas?
  • Confidant progress?
  • Our levels?
  • Our chocolate fountain and other assorted knickknacks we have decorating our room?
Nope! But now at least we can have the special experience of having the game’s obvious plot twists become even more painful as our bumblefuck main characters blindly waltz into the world’s least subtle conspiracy!

Anyway, there’s one more thing we don’t have, but I’ll get to it in a bit.

“Special items” here is a pretty broad set, comprising of not just the farewell gifts, but also the Christmas and Valentine’s presents we got from Haru.

One of those items, the hat Haru gave us, will allow us to progress her Confidant every time we hang out with her as long as we have a matching Persona. Haru’s probably the least useful person for that bonus, though. It’s much better for someone like Kawakami, but yikes to that!

And finally, the farewell presents confer their own benefits, in that they will immediately unlock some abilities once we activate their Confidants again. The utility of most of these directly correlates with how useful the Confidant’s skills were in the first place, so Ohya’s is still garbage while Tora and Shinya’s are loving amazing.

Now, let’s skip forward a bit and check our inventory at the first opportunity, which is about half an hour in even skipping through everything as fast as possible. Ignore the Medicines, those are automatically given to you at the start. Haru’s Valentine’s chocolate will fully restore one ally’s SP, neat.

All our skill cards, right where we left them.

These tabs have been completely emptied out.

Our Key Items tab is full to bursting, though. We still have our items that let us fuse certain special Personas.

We also have that hat that lets us advance Haru’s Confidant quickly.

Now we get into the farewell gifts. Makoto's Buchi Calculator lets us see if an enemy nulls, drains, or repels our chosen element when we target them.

Soil Improvement was the skill that let us get veggies quicker, as you’ll recall.

Ann’s Fashion Magazine lets us get Sexy Technique (“Chance to seduce the enemy during negotiation and steer discussion,” whatever that means) and Crocodile Tears(make the enemy ask for less during negotiations), neither of which are very useful, particularly because they only apply to hostage situations, which are incredibly rare!.

Futaba’s Promise List gets us Treasure Reboot and Mementos Scan.

Kawakami’s “Unlimited Service” (ugh) gets us the Special Massage (why) immediately.

Takemi’s Dog Tag gives us access to her entire inventory.

Chihaya’s Fortune Tarot Card lets us use any of her fortune readings we want.

Ohya’s Interview Notes gives us her final skill, letting us reduce security level gains to 3%. Not great.

Hifumi’s Kosha Piece gives us Touryou, which will allow instant escapes from battle (though not from ambushes). Really woulda liked mid-battle switches on anyone’s turn, though.

Ryuji’s Sports Watch gives Ryuji’s Harisen Recovery. It’s useful, but come on, not even a unique skill!?

Morgana’s Morgana’s Scarf gives us Pickpocket, so we have a bizarrely small chance to steal an item when Joker melees.

Sojiro’s Recipe Notes lets us make the best coffee and curry whenever we want.

Mishima’s Documentary Plans gives us all his experience skills, including the highest experience boost and full experience for backup party members.

Iwai’s Gecko Pin lets us do any customizations we want.

Lavenza’s Cell Key lets us use any of the special Velvet Room features.

Yusuke’s Desire and Hope lets us copy any Skill Card.

Yoshida’s Fountain Pen just gives us all his skills, why not? Negotiation won’t be that useful on NG+ because we already have pretty much every Persona we’ll run into, but we can still ask for lots of money!

Shinya’s Gun Controller also gives us all his skills. This is probably the best one in the game and is only tempered by how late we have to wait to benefit from it. Oda Special’s crit boost alone is nuts.

And Sae’s Business Card… gives us nothing. Great job, Sae. I can always count on you.

But, as I mentioned earlier… we’re missing something. Something big. And if you paid attention to that huge list of items, you might know what it is. See, we didn’t actually get items from every Confidant we had, because two of them were dead. Akechi didn’t have any permanent benefits anyway, so no loss there, but Fake Igor… Fake Igor gave us something pretty loving important that we’re gonna have to wait a while to get back.

Hope you like having six Persona slots again, shithead! Katsura Hashino can bite my rear end. Not for this in particular, just in general.

While we’re here, let’s check out our equipment.

All of it’s still there! Well, except the guns, we hadn’t done that tutorial yet when I took these shots so we don’t have them.

Anyway, New Game+ should be… something. Persona and SMT in general, despite what can sometimes be a somewhat steep initial learning curve for players new to the series, doesn’t really “do” postgame content. Persona 3 had a bonus dungeon and P3P added some challenge fights, but this game has a bonus boss unique to NG+, and that’s kind of it. We’ll see that fight, but it’s not like there’s a plethora of new poo poo waiting just beyond the horizon. We’ll see how this goes, but I’m just gonna say now: it’s gonna be surprisingly light in new anything.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I always find NG+ in the Persona games to be kinda boring. There's no increase of difficulty or any real differences at all. You can just blindly rush through the game.

PMush Perfect posted:

[citation needed]

That's just based on my personal experience with friends who have played the game. One dated Futaba because she's a computer nerd, one dated Kawakami because hes hot for teacher, and one dated Ann only because she's blond and he likes blonde girls.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 6, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

one dated Kawakami because hes hot for teacher

The game knows

Kawakami is my favorite though and i'm sad she got skipped over for Makoto.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grapplejack posted:

The game knows

Kawakami is my favorite though and i'm sad she got skipped over for Makoto.

*sigh* You're probably gonna get your wish. The poll was totally non-binding, I really just wanted an idea of where the thread's head was at for this one. The results were pretty broad even if Makoto was the out-and-out favorite, so I'll likely just show the others too. Also I realized that not only did I also really wanna see Hifumi's romance, but there's like no point to just doing one person for NG+ because I should probably show the Valentine's scene.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 6, 2019

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I don't think we really need to see any of the content locked behind having a teenager date adults, thanks.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

*sigh* You're probably gonna get your wish. The poll was totally non-binding, I really just wanted an idea of where the thread's head was at for this one. The results were pretty broad even if Makoto was the out-and-out favorite, so I'll likely just show the others too. Also I realized that not only did I also really wanna see Hifumi's romance, but there's like no point to just doing one person for NG+ because I should probably show the Valentine's scene.

If you do multiple romances, please either make Futaba your main girl or don't date her at all. IMO, the one thing worse than dating your sheltered, emotionally-vulnerable sister is two-timing your sheltered, emotionally-vulnerable sister.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

If you do multiple romances, please either make Futaba your main girl or don't date her at all. IMO, the one thing worse than dating your sheltered, emotionally-vulnerable sister is two-timing your sheltered, emotionally-vulnerable sister.
Hard agree.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Having Kawakami's massage unlocked from the beginning does astounding things to the pacing of the gameplay loop.

Two-timing Futaba should result in an early Bad Ending where Sojiro murders you and your body is never found.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I really hope the Royal lets Joker flirt at Sae, it doesn’t even need to be an actual romance I just feel it’s a missing feature.

Anyway I was thinking and you know what would have improved Makoto’s Confidant and made the Sae stuff about already knowing Joker better. Have Makoto’s confidant involve Sae instead of what we have, and lock the final 2-3 levels until after doing Sae’s Palace because Makoto is trying not to tell us about it.

You can even keep the fake dating in.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hate that the P5 design team put teen-dating-adults in at all, it's hella skeevy :yikes:

Besides P3P's Ken, were there any other creepy dateable SLs like that?? I'm having a hard time recalling if there was anything like that for the P4 ones.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Booky posted:

Hate that the P5 design team put teen-dating-adults in at all, it's hella skeevy :yikes:

Besides P3P's Ken, were there any other creepy dateable SLs like that?? I'm having a hard time recalling if there was anything like that for the P4 ones.

The P3 Teacher also gets into the Male Protag because of the online game.

Sayako the nurse is super suggestive but any time you try and follow up on her innuendos she just gives a lecture on some hospital procedure instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

McTimmy posted:

but any time you try and follow up on her innuendos she just gives a lecture on some hospital procedure instead.
Which was kind of great because it felt like the game was mocking you for thinking that the P3 thing would ever happen again.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Which was kind of great because it felt like the game was mocking you for thinking that the P3 thing would ever happen again.

:eng99:

You don't like, successfully date an adult in P3 though, do you? The teacher is into your online persona but figures out it's unhealthy and stops, and the Magician social link dude is into a teacher who doesn't return his affections and rejects him in favour of her actual adult fiance, right?