Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Yesssss cheeseburgers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happy birthday! 14 is pretty impressive. I live in a very cold climate but Abby refuses to do the booties. So winter pretty much always sucks.

Any tips to get deep earwax out? Abby only gets wax in her right ear for some reason, and way at the bottom is some dark wax below this little ridge in her ear. I typically reach in with a little ball of toilet paper coated in the ear solution stuff. I can't use a q tip because she immediately starts shaking her head. I'm sure it's very uncomfortable (though she has no problem if I put my finger in there for some reason).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My vet gave me some liquid to pour in the ear while his head is tilted. Then I try to keep his ear shut and rub the ear around to try and the liquid everywhere. Afterwards he shakes it out and I go in there with a bit of paper towel to wipe up. I guess your results will depend on how much she's willing to put up with.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bamhand posted:

My vet gave me some liquid to pour in the ear while his head is tilted. Then I try to keep his ear shut and rub the ear around to try and the liquid everywhere. Afterwards he shakes it out and I go in there with a bit of paper towel to wipe up. I guess your results will depend on how much she's willing to put up with.

She won't let me do that, but I put the ball of toilet paper that is soaked in the liquid in her ear, close her earflap and massage it around a bit. Stuff is still stuck pretty deep though.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

actionjackson posted:

Happy birthday! 14 is pretty impressive. I live in a very cold climate but Abby refuses to do the booties. So winter pretty much always sucks.

Ty is okay with me putting the boots on these days, but the front ones don't stay up well, and only stay on for a little while. I've tried at least 3 different kinds of boots for him, too.

actionjackson posted:

Any tips to get deep earwax out? Abby only gets wax in her right ear for some reason, and way at the bottom is some dark wax below this little ridge in her ear. I typically reach in with a little ball of toilet paper coated in the ear solution stuff. I can't use a q tip because she immediately starts shaking her head. I'm sure it's very uncomfortable (though she has no problem if I put my finger in there for some reason).

Ty actually was in pain several years ago from a wax buildup, and the vet had to clear it out while he was sedated for a dental. (The vet tech seemed impressed with how much they got out.) I have some solution I'm supposed to squirt in his ears and hold/massage in for a while before letting him shake it out, but I haven't used it in a while. I never noticed anything coming out from it, but I suppose it could be pretty hard to see, especially if it didn't come out in big clumps. If your dog won't let you squirt anything in, I'm not sure what else you can do, but you could talk to your vet about clearing it for her the next time she's anesthetized.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

How long did it take your dogs to settle in? We got a greyhound a little more than a week ago now, and she's starting to pick up on our routine, but still seems to struggle with concepts like "I have a day off" or "my wife has a rehearsal and will be home late".

It seems like every day she does a little better, but I'm wondering what to expect for the next month or so.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

epic bird guy posted:

How long did it take your dogs to settle in? We got a greyhound a little more than a week ago now, and she's starting to pick up on our routine, but still seems to struggle with concepts like "I have a day off" or "my wife has a rehearsal and will be home late".

It seems like every day she does a little better, but I'm wondering what to expect for the next month or so.

It took months before what I consider Sparty's "true" personality to come through. It was a gradual process where we were both figuring out how the other operated and what preferences were. Just spending time together will be enough.

There were periods where we weren't sure it would work out (he had worms and constantly had to go to the bathroom and we couldn't sleep through the night) but they all eventually got better. Even if he's still garbage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

epic bird guy posted:

Just curious, what do you mean by struggles with the concept? Our guy just sleeps in his crate when we're out. Sleeps in his sleeping bag when we're in the house. And gets super excited and worked up whenever a car pulls into the garage. But he's pretty indifferent to how our schedules work or any change in schedule. We do walk and feed him at the same time every day though.

Also I guess he somehow knows when we're about to take him into the car vs take him outside when we grab his leash and gets way more excited about the former.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

epic bird guy posted:

We're 4 weeks in and she's just starting to adjust to routine. She's still getting used to the idea that the cats don't want to play with her.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'd say a few weeks to a month. The first day or two Abby was all sad because the foster parent left.

xsf421 posted:

We're 4 weeks in and she's just starting to adjust to routine. She's still getting used to the idea that the cats don't want to play with her.

Congrats, that's a gorgeous greyhound. What's she at, 50 pounds? Any issues with the wood floors and her slipping when she picks up speed?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Just over 60lbs. She's learned not to rush on the hardwood, she still slides around chasing toys though.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

It took months before what I consider Sparty's "true" personality to come through. It was a gradual process where we were both figuring out how the other operated and what preferences were. Just spending time together will be enough.

There were periods where we weren't sure it would work out (he had worms and constantly had to go to the bathroom and we couldn't sleep through the night) but they all eventually got better. Even if he's still garbage.

I wouldn't say we're dealing with any major issues, but I'm curious to see what she's like when she really opens up!

bamhand posted:

Just curious, what do you mean by struggles with the concept? Our guy just sleeps in his crate when we're out. Sleeps in his sleeping bag when we're in the house. And gets super excited and worked up whenever a car pulls into the garage. But he's pretty indifferent to how our schedules work or any change in schedule. We do walk and feed him at the same time every day though.

Also I guess he somehow knows when we're about to take him into the car vs take him outside when we grab his leash and gets way more excited about the former.

She does some whining, seemingly at random and she's taken a liking to tearing up her crate mats (though tbqh pulling the fluff out of those does seem fun). Generally speaking she seems to go between seeming totally comfortable and kind of anxious.

Overall she's been a really well behaved dog. I just want to make sure she's happy :ohdear:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

epic bird guy posted:

I wouldn't say we're dealing with any major issues, but I'm curious to see what she's like when she really opens up!

She does some whining, seemingly at random and she's taken a liking to tearing up her crate mats (though tbqh pulling the fluff out of those does seem fun). Generally speaking she seems to go between seeming totally comfortable and kind of anxious.

Overall she's been a really well behaved dog. I just want to make sure she's happy :ohdear:

Something we figured out, our new grey hates the feel of her crate mat and microfiber bed. We put a blanket over them and now she loves them, doesn't mess with them at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a behaviourist told me about the rule of threes for a dog settling in

3 days until it stops being overwhelmed by its new surroundings
3 weeks until it starts getting a sense of routine and belonging
3 months until it feels completely at home and part of the family

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

a behaviourist told me about the rule of threes for a dog settling in

3 days until it stops being overwhelmed by its new surroundings
3 weeks until it starts getting a sense of routine and belonging
3 months until it feels completely at home and part of the family

This is a good rule of thumb and tracks when we observed overall changes in behavior. After the first month is when he started opening up and not being "aloof", and after three or four he'd revealed most of his goofball tendencies

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

This is a good rule of thumb and tracks when we observed overall changes in behavior. After the first month is when he started opening up and not being "aloof", and after three or four he'd revealed most of his goofball tendencies

I think we need more pics of Sparty’s goofy self, yanno for science.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

I think we need more pics of Sparty’s goofy self, yanno for science.

I have no idea what you're talking about :colbert:

The bed was made when I left...

I like big butts and I cannot lie

What is wrong with you, dog

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hurray! Such a cute goof hound. Reese approves.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I was lucky enough to take a walk with a professional photographer and she took some glamour shots of Gello.

She's a very pretty dog.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Very nice - what a good doggo!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wow yeah those are great pictures! I definitely need to get a few professional shots of Abby at some point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gello’s a real beaut :swoon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a snoot!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie had an operation last Friday - nothing serious, just removing a lump from the side of her head (almost certainly benign but was growing, so vet wanted to remove it while it could be stitched up without having to do a skin graft)

She absolutely HATED the cone, and wouldn’t settle with it on. Spent hours going between her bed and the sofa, pawing at it, etc. So that first night, being the big bleeding heart dork I am, I took the cone off and slept on the sofa beside her.

Anyway, I ordered a Comfy Cone for her, and she absolutely doesn’t mind it at all. She sleeps soundly in it, she doesn’t make any attempt to struggle against it being put on, it’s great! The only downside is the Velcro is kinda loud, so she is a bit scared of it getting ripped off.

Tldr: buy your dog a Comfy Cone, they’re real good.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I got another batch of photos. I call this the 'Bicycle Seat' series.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Radiation Cow posted:

I was lucky enough to take a walk with a professional photographer and she took some glamour shots of Gello.

She's a very pretty dog.

Love them ears

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I got another batch of photos. I call this the 'Bicycle Seat' series.

That's a mighty fine bike seat you got there

What about you, Sparty?

...you suck :mad:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

What about you, Sparty?

...you suck :mad:

Dunno what you're talking about, Sparty is an excellent bed-warmer/bike seat.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess has been stuck in bed for a few months due to a re-occurrence of valley fever. It's in her neck, and the swelling in her spine weakened her back legs so she can't stand or walk without help. She's been improving very slowly, and is in a good mood at least. And she gets lots of hot dogs with her pills.

She :burger: turned 9 on April 1 :burger:

Tennyson got some burger too. He was very excited so all of my pictures of him were blurry.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol @ burger face

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tessy baby :ohdear:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So Bonnie’s has a hell of a time of it lately

All day Thursday she didn’t eat or drink anything. She seemed fine otherwise until the evening, when she had diarrhoea which turned really bloody as the night wore on. We took it in shifts sitting with her overnight, and eventually took her to an emergency vet. They gave her some anti-emetics and such to calm her stomach.

Friday morning and Bonnie starts drinking again. Yay! But after each drink, she starts whining and panting for a few minutes, and settles eventually. After a couple of hours she wants to go outside.

She goes outside and it’s like her rear end in a top hat is recreating Carrie. An insane amount of blood comes out. I’m freaking out, my partner is freaking out. We get another emergency vet appointment, and they take her in for blood tests and to put her on an IV drip for the rest of the day.

Her blood tests came back with lowered white cell count, meaning it’s most likely an infection that she’s fighting off. She gets an antibiotic and is released to us overnight. She sleeps through the night, doing a normal pee and drinking a little bit.

The vets wanted to see her again on Saturday (this morning as I write), and when we took her they were encouraged with her improved heart rate and temperature. Still brought her back in for another round of IV and another day’s worth of antibiotic. While there, she peed normally again and are a tiny bit - first food she’s had in almost 3 days. Yay!

We brought her back home a few hours ago, and after eating and drinking a tiny amount she’s had another really big bout of diarrhoea :smith: we were told there might be some left in there, so we’re really hoping that that’s what it was. It was way less bloody than Friday morning’s disaster, so I guess that’s something?

Anyway, still terrified about what’s going to happen. Exhausted from spending all night on the couch the last 2 nights.

Tldr; blood and poo poo and 5am vet trips, :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's something called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis that Sparty had for a bit, it was really scary but some probiotic powder seemed to clear it up (after the antibiotics got the worst of it to stop)

Hope your needle nose feels better soon :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry to hear about Bonnie! Hope everything resolves itself.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

There's something called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis that Sparty had for a bit, it was really scary but some probiotic powder seemed to clear it up (after the antibiotics got the worst of it to stop)

Hope your needle nose feels better soon :ohdear:
yeah the vets said it was probably that! Thanks for the powder advice, I’ll go to the vets when the antibiotic course is done and ask them about it.

Do you remember what the timeline was like for recovery?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Gannon had a bout of it one year. He went from fine to off his food to making GBS threads blood in a day. Got him on probiotic chews that day and he was recovering by the next day. He was back to normal a day latter.

Probably a shorter timeline than your case but you're hopefully looking at a day or two of treatment at most before things start to get back to normal.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

She’s been nibbling for a few hours at chicken and tinned food designed for bad stomachs. No more shits sooooo that’s tentatively positive? Right?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah if she's eating that's a good sign. It means her stomach is starting to feel better.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah it only took a day or two to get better, it's definitely an acute sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks for the advice and support, y’alls good people :unsmith: she’s actually eating like she’s hungry now, and her last movement had a mix of runny and solid sooooo, improvement!

Pics:

Waiting for the vet on friday, just after The Carrie Poop

After her first round of IV. Note the thousand yard stare that only comes with industrial-strength painkillers