Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The oled dark theme turns on spell check in fyad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Auto switching from OLED to default bright theme/vice versa causes the page to position to shift.

Otherwise OLED theme owns so hard.

E: all of gbs is old dark. Won't go OLED.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 8, 2019

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Latest beta update with OLED theme:

The 'End of Thread' tag seems to be below the page picker and pulling down to see it/look for new posts jumps me to the top of the page on a reload.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

101 posted:

The 'End of Thread' tag seems to be below the page picker and pulling down to see it/look for new posts jumps me to the top of the page on a reload.

Do you mean “pulling up”?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean “pulling up”?

Yeah. Pull up

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah I’m noticing the same thing. The bottom of the main viewport seems to be snapped to the bottom of the screen instead of the top of the nav-bar.

Latest beta, iPhone XR (12.1.2), classic theme (haven’t tried other themes)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This seems to be getting worse, and the app is quitting in background much quicker than it used to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has anyone found a pattern as to when the [/..] button is incorrectly disabled? It seems to work sometimes...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

This is it with all those bits (now including the • • • icon) in #767676

A bit brighter than the previous image - the grey I used was actually 30 brightness, not 40. Still, it's important to meet accessibility guidelines, and it is darker than the current grey so it helps.

e: Could the joined / post date be a touch smaller maybe?

I’ve never liked the way the platinum grenade pushes the username over, thoughts on it being appended to the end of the username?

I also opened my original designs for this iteration of the design and remember my original intent with the gradient, which may not be realistic or even good:

To have it fixed to the bottom of the screen as you are scrolling through posts you’ve already read, and being fixed to the bottom of the last one when you’re about to start scrolling new posts into the view port. So there’s really only one gradient on screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Something's not right with the way autolayout is working between the translucent and opaque toolbar, I think. I don't remember it happening when I was just messing around with things so there might be something we still need to do to get that working. The grey bar on the thread list is also caused by similar issues and a bug in (I think) autolayout. My guess is it has to do with switching over from a theme where the bottom bar is translucent to one where it's opaque.

And the only way to fix the page jumping around when auto switching will be to create/update the light theme to use the same page elements as the dark theme.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I’ve never liked the way the platinum grenade pushes the username over, thoughts on it being appended to the end of the username?

I also opened my original designs for this iteration of the design and remember my original intent with the gradient, which may not be realistic or even good:

To have it fixed to the bottom of the screen as you are scrolling through posts you’ve already read, and being fixed to the bottom of the last one when you’re about to start scrolling new posts into the view port. So there’s really only one gradient on screen.

Yeah that's bothered me too re: grenade. Try popping it to the right of the user name if you can. Then there are the extra tags that can appear there too like mod stars (these should be colour shifted mini versions of the stars you see in the main forum list view.)

The gradient idea is cool. The current implementation of gradients isn't bad though IMO.

It looks like when I use the top Previous Posts button, the gradient look works, but if I go into a thread from my bookmarks with no new posts in it the UI defaults to the old grey background appearance.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 7, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that's bothered me too re: grenade. Try popping it to the right of the user name if you can.

Smaller, and to the right of the join date? Maybe?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Smaller, and to the right of the join date? Maybe?

I think it might look jarringly microscopic in detail at that size. The new grenade icon is a bit more pleasing / harmonious in a circle so shifting it to the right could clean that area up some.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Here’s the current grenade moved to the right:

Spanky, would you mind linking me all the images you want swapped out again? I’ll get them added as soon as I see them and can post again. In the meantime I can make any other tweaks to the icon size/location as people think of them

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Spanky, would you mind linking me all the images you want swapped out again? I’ll get them added as soon as I see them and can post again. In the meantime I can make any other tweaks to the icon size/location as people think of them

Here you go. Platinum-Members is in there, and I made a new icon called Quote-Clean for those quote bubbles. It's meant to be a separate icon from the quote button icon.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Here you go. Platinum-Members is in there, and I made a new icon called Quote-Clean for those quote bubbles. It's meant to be a separate icon from the quote button icon.

Cool. The platinum icon is black for theme, but the new quote icon slides in quite nicely.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so to provide more detail on the "crashing every time I post" issue:

It kicks me to desktop on any action that would go back to the regular reading interface from the text entry one. So... like editing posts does it too.

Also it remains open after the crash but when I navigate back to the app, it'll either be at the top of the thread prior to me having posted OR return me to the text entry field and get me stuck in a hellish loop of hitting "cancel"/crashing/reopening/"cancel"/crashing

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Cool. The platinum icon is black for theme, but the new quote icon slides in quite nicely.

Is that quote icon at 100% scale? It looks quite small.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

One of my book marked threads is stuck using non OLED dark theme. The others open in the appropriate colour theme and switch. This one does not.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Holky gently caress, dark tweets!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Holky gently caress, dark tweets!

Test

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

Edit:
Sweeeeet

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Mine are still white, are they only in the beta?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Pull to go to the next page just spins for me, but next page arrow works fine.

Also the new dimmer gradient for previously read posts is very hard to see under certain light (outside at night with streetlights). Had to raise up the brightness a bunch to see it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah once I got out of my house the gradient is tough to see.

Wow dark twitter embeds, what a little game changer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Okay, we really gotta figure out a way to declare what we're working on. I was half way to getting dark tweets working...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

Okay, we really gotta figure out a way to declare what we're working on. I was half way to getting dark tweets working...

:justpost:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

Pull to go to the next page just spins for me, but next page arrow works fine.

Also the new dimmer gradient for previously read posts is very hard to see under certain light (outside at night with streetlights). Had to raise up the brightness a bunch to see it.

I'm having the same issue with pull-for-next-page.

Another idea for last read could be to add a little eye icon to seen posts. You could touch the eye to make it disappear and set your new read position.

While we are fiddling with the username area it'd look good to add a bit more padding to the area between the text and avatar.

The dark tweets continue to be excellent - the app has come so far this last week!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Another idea for last read could be to add a little eye icon to seen posts. You could touch the eye to make it disappear and set your new read position.

We would finally have a “mark unread” model that matches everything in the universe!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really like the classic dark theme but also really like the design for quotes in the OLED dark theme. Is that design planned to be moved to the other non-forum-specific themes?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Thanks for the pull for next fix!

I'm having the same issue with pull-for-next-page.

I like this idea, but with the quotes icon being gray and the gradient going away I feel like I’d miss seeing the blue.

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 9, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
[quote="spanky the dolphin" post="4940719

[/quote]

Adds unnecessary visual clutter IMO - not a feature that needs to be brought up from the ... options menu for a post

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I like this idea, but with the quotes icon being gray and the gradient going away I feel like I’d miss seeing the blue.

Hyperlinks, menu buttons and OP names would still be blue in this example. The blue is nice but it draws your eye so much it needs to be used sparingly and functionally. Like it'd actually fit this last read concept as you'd get a sense you're in old posts, and it'd also obviously be a usable button.

Keith Atherton posted:

Adds unnecessary visual clutter IMO - not a feature that needs to be brought up from the ... options menu for a post

You're probably right.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that eyeball is extremely heavy visually for functionality that I don’t think deserves top billing.

FWIW I actually miss the blue from the quotes, kind of gave it a nice little pop of color and personality, I don’t expect anyone else to agree with me on that though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

Yeah that eyeball is extremely heavy visually for functionality that I don’t think deserves top billing.

FWIW I actually miss the blue from the quotes, kind of gave it a nice little pop of color and personality, I don’t expect anyone else to agree with me on that though.

I could go either way on it, I thought the blue icon was fine.

Personally I like the last read gradient when it’s subtle, it is true it’s hard to see in bright light but it’s still something to look for when you’re wondering if you’ve seen the post or not. Adds a little accent without jumping out too hard.

I’m also for keeping the last read behavior matching the forums. It’s not intuitive but at this point I think most have internalized the behavior and switching now would be just be more confusing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah it's not pokeymans fault, I just wonder if here or the repo is the better place to stake a claim

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This has probably been asked before but I can't find anything in the last 30 pages.

Can Awful load gifv files? On Desktop Safari I can see the videos in this post with sick Destiny kills, but in the Awful app I have to click through to Imgur. Is this just my settings or an Awful/iOS limitation?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stare-Out posted:

Just the one page. They move around the list, sometimes separate, but once either one is tapped they seem to group back up. Both seem to work fine for going into the thread, but only one shows the new post marker correctly. Deleting either deletes them both.

Good info, thanks! If it gets real annoying you can probably “fix” it by logging out and back in. But clearly there’s an underlying issue I need to figure out.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

tyler posted:

The oled dark theme turns on spell check in fyad

Whoops, I can fix that.

Laserface posted:

Auto switching from OLED to default bright theme/vice versa causes the page to position to shift.

Otherwise OLED theme owns so hard.

E: all of gbs is old dark. Won't go OLED.

I think I’ve fixed this in the next version.

101 posted:

This should be fixed now.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so to provide more detail on the "crashing every time I post" issue:

It kicks me to desktop on any action that would go back to the regular reading interface from the text entry one. So... like editing posts does it too.

Also it remains open after the crash but when I navigate back to the app, it'll either be at the top of the thread prior to me having posted OR return me to the text entry field and get me stuck in a hellish loop of hitting "cancel"/crashing/reopening/"cancel"/crashing

I did find a crash in the logs that seemed like it might be this one? So it might be fixed in the next version, or it might not. The extra info is helpful, thanks!

carry on then posted:

Whoops, sorry! I’ll start watching your fork. Though I’m not sure if that’ll let me know about new branches and commits.

carry on then posted:

Yeah it's not pokeymans fault, I just wonder if here or the repo is the better place to stake a claim

I tend to ignore this thread for days at a time, so the repo is probably better. If you like, you’re more than welcome to make branches on the Awful.app repo instead of your own fork, and there’s a higher chance I’ll see them. I’m also down to self-assign to issues; I’m pretty good at checking the issue before I start working on something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sounds good, I'll make sure to claim or create issues for what I'm working on. Don't worry about watching my fork, I don't put anything there until I have something to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
The OLED theme is amazing, thanks for the update.

Rowdy Ringsports sub forum shows up as the normal daytime theme for me still, though. On iPhone X and the newest non-beta.