Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol jfc

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1114890599428251648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

JFairfax posted:

hurrrr durrr im an idiot who hasn't seen what labour's said since day one on this

"A Labour government will immediately guarantee existing rights for all EU nationals living in Britain and secure reciprocal rights for UK citizens who have chosen to make their lives in EU countries. EU nationals do not just contribute to our society: they are part of our society. And they should not be used as bargaining chips."

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/

that doesn't contradict what I said at all

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

im the shaky camera

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vlex posted:

Mestizo, up by Euston. Any other answer is inadmissible.

Even in GWS, London goons will recommend Wahaca and Tex-Mex.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'd like to submit Cafe Pacifico near Covent Garden as a close second?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also, not quite Mexican but Cubana down near Waterloo station does some amazing Cuban food and - importantly - does strawberry daquiries for half price during happy hour. So easy to get absolutely pissed to death on those

thanks will try and report back

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aw poo poo Jose you been called out son

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Pull right out of that loving Holocaust denier playbook, but if it's the Holodomor you're denying it's fuckin' A-OK. I would hope to see someone denying a genocide for personal political reasons be punished for it on this forum, but here?

This fuckin genius comes in to back him up.

Jose posted:

post your sources

"post your sources". "post your sources" about one of the most prominent historical facts of the 20th century, Joseph Stalin killed millions of people. Good to know we have a proud genocide denier on the mod team. Here's your source, Jose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
Engineered famine that killed 7 million Ukranians, began in the spring of 1932.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany
The people that were actually responsible for every death on the Eurasian continent from 1920 to 1950, seized control of the government January 1933. Almost a year after a genocide caused by the Soviets happened.

And all of this in a loving derail in the car forum.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

V. Illych L. posted:

the point being, it's not a particularly courageous bit of political signalling, but claiming that it's arguing for a restrictive immigration policy is also not reasonable - because it's saying nothing at all. again, arguably good politics since they seem to have got away with it, but certainly not good policy (in that it's not making any policy statement at all)

I agree with this, but I do think it’s implausible to suggest that it could mean that Labour would intend to replace it with exactly the same thing. I don’t think anyone other than the most hardcore “Corbyn is a secret remoaner” type could take seriously the suggestion that the statement in the manifesto is a secret way to say they want to keep freedom of movement without explicitly saying so. If you want an immigration system that restricts migration much more, you can read that from the statement. If you want an immigration system which treats all countries equally when assessing applicants, you can read that from the statement. But if you want a bilateral agreement with the EU guaranteeing the right of future Britons to live and work in the EU without any restriction at all and guaranteeing the same for future EU immigrants, i.e. you specifically want Freedom of Movement and not just “a fairer immigration system”, I don’t think you can plausibly read that from the manifesto—so it’s a bit silly, I think, to take the tack that the statement is completely devoid of intent. It is a call for a different system, but as you say not necessarily a more restrictive one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JFairfax posted:

im the shaky camera

Seriously. Camera person got the DTs? Amateur hour poo poo, just get a tripod, ffs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

God she's so loving poo poo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Holy poo poo the weird little laugh when she mentions 'compromise'. This is a 2 minute video was this really the best take they could get from her?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Foster posted:

Seriously. Camera person got the DTs? Amateur hour poo poo, just get a tripod, ffs

i think it's supposed to make it folksy, or like a YouTube?

but then most you tubers have better setups lol

also I like the way she stumbles over a line and they didn't do another take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

Aw poo poo Jose you been called out son

"post your sources". "post your sources" about one of the most prominent historical facts of the 20th century, Joseph Stalin killed millions of people. Good to know we have a proud genocide denier on the mod team. Here's your source, Jose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
Engineered famine that killed 7 million Ukranians, began in the spring of 1932.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany
The people that were actually responsible for every death on the Eurasian continent from 1920 to 1950, seized control of the government January 1933. Almost a year after a genocide caused by the Soviets happened.

And all of this in a loving derail in the car forum.

yeah i saw lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can someone summarize that vid i have negative desire to watch it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bump_fn posted:

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MUST GET A DEAL NOTHING HAS CHANGED FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRT :byodame:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

bump_fn posted:

Imagine your parents threatening to stop the car if you don't behave but you're going somewhere you don't want to and it's a hollow threat anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1114898975562268673

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bump_fn posted:

basically the tweet i posted last night

https://twitter.com/polhomeeditor/status/1114641374228504578?s=12

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1114898572426862595

That's the Melt one that doesn't require it's members to be Jewish but does require them to "promote the centrality of Israel in Jewish life and its development on the basis of freedom, social justice and equality for all its citizens."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nutters gonna nut

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see Labour are ahead in the polls again.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's the Melt one that doesn't require it's members to be Jewish but does require them to "promote the centrality of Israel in Jewish life and its development on the basis of freedom, social justice and equality for all its citizens."

wait that's actually a membership commitment? one that's completely at odds with the rules of party membership?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, it's a bit tonally odd but the guy seems to be sincerely and unreservedly condemning the paras who shot at the Corbyn target so... what's the problem?

For me at least it was how he seemed to think it was “lack of discipline” first and “actual crime” later

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

So a non-Jewish group that is antisemitic (by IHRA definitions) claims that Jewish interests are not the same as ordinary people's.

Very normal group.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spangly A posted:

wait that's actually a membership commitment? one that's completely at odds with the rules of party membership?

https://www.jewishlabour.uk/full_membership

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hello, this is the captain of the Titanic.
Over the last few hours people have been asking me about the Iceberg.
And I can understand that as we have planned this trip for several years now.
Well where we're at is that after the Bridge Crew talking wtih my engineers, and
my preference was to continue sailing. But my engineers have rejected that, they want to evacuate.
So the choice we have ahead of us, is to continue to sail to New York, or evacuate to the life boats.
Now I think, as the Bridge Crew, we MUST continue to sail to New York.
So we need to look at new ways, to find an agreement with the engineers.
That means cross party talks.
When you think about it, the passengers did not pay to mingle with the other classes in the life boats.
And I think the first class passengers would want us ship workers to work together.
Now there's lots of things I disagree with the engineers.
And so we are talking, and it would mean compromise on both sides.
But I believe that sailing on to New York is the most important thing to us.
I want to do this in a good way, and that's what the Bridge Crew is working for.

(apologies to the real Titanic captain)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

well this explains a lot

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spangly A posted:

well this explains a lot

They're basically the politically correct wing of Labour Friends of Israel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

Hello, this is the captain of the Titanic.
Over the last few hours people have been asking me about the Iceberg.
And I can understand that as we have planned this trip for several years now.
Well where we're at is that after the Bridge Crew talking wtih my engineers, and
my preference was to continue sailing. But my engineers have rejected that, they want to evacuate.
So the choice we have ahead of us, is to continue to sail to New York, or evacuate to the life boats.
Now I think, as the Bridge Crew, we MUST continue to sail to New York.
So we need to look at new ways, to find an agreement with the engineers.
That means cross party talks.
When you think about it, the passengers did not pay to mingle with the other classes in the life boats.
And I think the first class passengers would want us ship workers to work together.
Now there's lots of things I disagree with the engineers.
And so we are talking, and it would mean compromise on both sides.
But I believe that sailing on to New York is the most important thing to us.
I want to do this in a good way, and that's what the Bridge Crew is working for.

(apologies to the real Titanic captain)

Don't apologise to him, he was also a loving idiot who wouldn't listen to sense.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

Don't apologise to him, he was also a loving idiot who wouldn't listen to sense.

To be fair to him, at least he went down with his ship. Can't see May following his example.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TheRat posted:

poo poo I guess we are an institutionally antisemitic party until they're expelled

e; azza you're a treasure

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:perfect:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TheRat posted:

Seriously don't know why the leadership isn't responding to this poo poo more aggressively, these dumbass loving groups whined and moaned until Labour adopted flawed IHRA definitions that they themselves constantly violate (centrality of Israel in Jewish life ffs). It's actually obscene, going by the rules they demanded they're the source of piles more antisemitism than the Labour left (which has a couple of genuinely problematic nutters and a slightly larger collection of idiots failing to be adequately careful in their language). Why aren't they being called out on this? I'm half of a mind to start submitting complaints whenever I see this, but given how much pressure the admin guys are under I'm uncertain. This whole thing is really, genuinely upsetting to watch, especially as it does seem to be sticking to some extent. It's just some of the most staggeringly bad faith bullshit, and the leadership should absolutely be going on the offensive rather than hand wringing about it and making themselves seem more guilty than they are.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

So I assume hodge was recording this but I don't see what the problem is? Curious that now is when the antisemitism stuff has come up again though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABX4V9oe3N0

This is hilarious. The Sunday Times gets someone to seeeecretly record Corbyn’s behind-closed-doors anti-semitic ranting, but the best they get is him boringly talking about procedure. And they still put it on their YouTube channel for the incredible exposure of 936 views.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is hilarious. The Sunday Times gets someone to seeeecretly record Corbyn’s behind-closed-doors anti-semitic ranting, but the best they get is him boringly talking about procedure. And they still put it on their YouTube channel for the incredible exposure of 936 views.

You’ll just have to imagine the horrid things he was doing to a cold tin of beans at the time.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Jedit posted:

why was he an idiot? genuinely don’t know

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

So I assume hodge was recording this but I don't see what the problem is? Curious that now is when the antisemitism stuff has come up again though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABX4V9oe3N0

Uh, did she secretly record a private meeting with the leadership and then leak it to the press? I feel like that should be grounds for expulsion

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I dunno guys I'm looking at the IHRA guidelines and it doesn't really say anything about not conflating Israel and Jews.

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism

At most there's this:

quote:

Accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel, or to the alleged priorities of Jews worldwide, than to the interests of their own nations.

Then there's also this, which can suck my diaspora Bund balls

quote:

Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.

Am I reading the wrong thing?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Seriously don't know why the leadership isn't responding to this poo poo more aggressively, these dumbass loving groups whined and moaned until Labour adopted flawed IHRA definitions that they themselves constantly violate (centrality of Israel in Jewish life ffs). It's actually obscene, going by the rules they demanded they're the source of piles more antisemitism than the Labour left (which has a couple of genuinely problematic nutters and a slightly larger collection of idiots failing to be adequately careful in their language). Why aren't they being called out on this? I'm half of a mind to start submitting complaints whenever I see this, but given how much pressure the admin guys are under I'm uncertain. This whole thing is really, genuinely upsetting to watch, especially as it does seem to be sticking to some extent. It's just some of the most staggeringly bad faith bullshit, and the leadership should absolutely be going on the offensive rather than hand wringing about it and making themselves seem more guilty than they are.

Because nobody actually gives a poo poo about the IHRA definition and telling them off will trigger another week of "antisemitic labour bashes the jews". Obviously that's happening anyway thanks to these assholes, but I assume that's the party's thinking. It's easier to fight when you don't have concrete examples and expelling JLM is a very good example. Personally I think they should just bring Jewdas in instead (or JVL if you're boring, I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Abel Wingnut posted:

why was he an idiot? genuinely don’t know

basically didn't slow the ship down despite getting several warnings on the day of the sinking saying "there's a poo poo-ton of ice nearby"