Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Price Check posted:

Anyone else think that Dave was weirdly negative on the MSG show? Obviously the ROH stuff wasn't as good as the New Japan stuff but it's not like it ruined the show or whatever.

I haven't heard the podcast yet but go back to read the livethread. The slow women's angle was bad and killed the momentum from the hot opener dead. Immediately followed by whatever the hell that New York Street Fight was. First we hear Juice is too hurt. Then he comes out anyway to save Flip, looking fine. It was a 15 minute match that felt like it went twice that. And then after a fun spotty tag scramble there's a really loving execrable worked shoot angle which drags out for a long time, featuring two guys nobody likes. It just took the crowd out of it again. Tana & Zack managed to bring it back eventually, but the crowd searching social media to find out what the gently caress just happened was clearly detrimental. Even that PCO entrance was just this slow, unnecessary nonsense that was a fun idea on paper poorly executed which just dragged things out a bit more.

It didn't ruin the show but it could have if New Japan didn't book their matches like this was a really big show. The show could have and maybe should have been the best event the entire week but instead half of it was a complete slog to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Price Check posted:

Anyone else think that Dave was weirdly negative on the MSG show? Obviously the ROH stuff wasn't as good as the New Japan stuff but it's not like it ruined the show or whatever.

It was two great matches on a five hour show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Price Check posted:

He wasn't negative enough

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Price Check posted:

they brought back the beautiful people

they shot their own stupid angle involving an ex-WWE guy fired for raping someone and his buddy whose sole job qualification is "tall"

they have become TNA

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Incessant Excess posted:

It was two great matches on a five hour show.

That’s my take on it. I was there, had a lot of fun, but I was anticipating an all-time classic show and got a very good show that was way too long. Plus, the gulf in the strength of the two rosters was apparent-NJPW’s is much better than ROH’s and I’d much rather have seen an 3 hour NJPW show than what we got.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

they brought back the beautiful people

they shot their own stupid angle involving an ex-WWE guy fired for raping someone and his buddy whose sole job qualification is "tall"

they have become TNA

Worse, when TNA had the beautiful people they also had a motivated AJ Styles , Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels.

I mean it still sucked, but I had at least a few reasons to like parts of the show.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TL posted:

That’s my take on it. I was there, had a lot of fun, but I was anticipating an all-time classic show and got a very good show that was way too long. Plus, the gulf in the strength of the two rosters was apparent-NJPW’s is much better than ROH’s and I’d much rather have seen an 3 hour NJPW show than what we got.

I have not listened to Dave yet but it's incredible the platform RoH had and wasted. It's a historic moment, WrestleMania weekend, and you've got tons of new eyes on you and that's what they booked for themselves. The only decent RoH match was the ladder match and it wasn't amazing. Everything else felt like their regular show. Also everything they did was overshadowed by a worked shoot with Enzo "consensual penis" Amore. They wildly blew their shot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wait was the enzo stuff actually planned by RoH? Somehow that’s even dumber than him legit hopping the fence hahahshshahahahahahaha

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

wait was the enzo stuff actually planned by RoH? Somehow that’s even dumber than him legit hopping the fence hahahshshahahahahahaha

Enzo and Cass vs Briscoes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

So says Voices of Wrestling's sources. Apparently it was forced on them by upper management

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1114705273552347136

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The fight went on a really long time without security doing a thing. You can see in one of the videos where a security guy in the crowd had a hold of Enzo and just kind of limply let him go. No one in NJPW seemed particularly worried, more just coldly disinterested/annoyed.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

“Ibushi did that middle rope German, dropped the guy right on his head”

“Not quite on his head but on the back of his neck, but it was bad, yea”

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave's reaction to Bryan joking about Enzo being in Best of the Super Juniors was amazing TBH

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Bryan: "SO WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH FLIP'S KNEE?!"
Dave: "he's got a bad knee."
Bryan: "REALLY THOUGH?"
Dave: "yeah."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave on WOR said there was some debate on which title match would go on last shine on ROH lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wish ROH had gone last just so half the crowd leaving could’ve made the company look like an even bigger joke.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave on WOR said there was some debate on which title match would go on last shine on ROH lol

ROH is delusional.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me if ROH capitulated and let Okada go on last to avoid the mass exodus possibility while framing at as them being magnanimous.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wish ROH had gone last just so half the crowd leaving could’ve made the company look like an even bigger joke.

Also I could have gone to bed 45 minutes earlier and not be the walking dead right now

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Amazing that NJPW keeps on putting up with these chucklefucks when they add so little to the relationship.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

dsriggs posted:

Amazing that NJPW keeps on putting up with these chucklefucks when they add so little to the relationship.

They got to main event at MSG off the backs of Sinclair’s legal and financial resources.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

dsriggs posted:

But the elite already left? :confused:

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

dsriggs posted:

It seems like the MSG show was the last real positive thing ROH could offer to New Japan, except maybe visa sponsorship?

If the rumors are true and AEW is close to announcing a tv deal, I hope Harold Meij decides to drop ROH and partner with them. I'd love to not give any support to Sinclair Broadcasting even tangentially. I've given Vince zero of my dollars for years and it feels good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's actually super funny that the Garden show was bought and paid for by ROH but everyone there and afterwards was saying they wanted it to be a New Japan show and loved the New Japan stuff/hated the ROH stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's actually super funny that the Garden show was bought and paid for by ROH

This is why it didn't surprise me at all they at least made a push to have their title match be the main event. Very happy New Japan won that particular fight

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That ladder match would've turned into an Empty Arena Match if it went on last

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It would have looked like that Mania where chunks of the crowd got up and left during the main event because lol Lesnar/Reigns again

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Live there was a ton of bullet club guys there and the match was over. Maybe some people would have left but Scurll I thought was possibly the most over guy on the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlmightyPants posted:

For whatever it's worth, I met Bryan and Vinny after the G1 Supercard and they're really, really nice guys. Can't say how nice it is to meet the voices who accompany me on my commute and they turned out to be so great in person!
I've been to Bryan's house for Summerslam a few times and he's amazing. And everything you've heard about Brent Kremen is true.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Willninho posted:

Live there was a ton of bullet club guys there and the match was over. Maybe some people would have left but Scurll I thought was possibly the most over guy on the show.

Did anybody really think Scurll was gonna get the belt? Dude is halfway out of the company already.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I definitely thought he'd get a transitional reign considering he's still there for months

They gave one to Kyle O'Reilly the month his contract was expiring

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also Marty leaving is only a guarantee if you let it be. You give him the belt and a mega push, maybe after a few months he thinks hey, he's happy being a top guy and decides he wants to stay after all, and you have a nice little draw on your hands who for once isn't walking out the door with everyone else. And if he still wants to leave then fine, you shot your shot, but at least you gave him a chance. ROH never taking a chance on guys is why they keep bleeding talent in the first place.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Did anybody really think Scurll was gonna get the belt? Dude is halfway out of the company already.

ROH has a long history of giving guys the belt when they're halfway out the door dating back to CM Punk.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave, just say Hogan is a horrible human being, it’s okay!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

triplexpac posted:

Dave, just say Hogan is a horrible human being, it’s okay!

What if Hogan burns down another Observer mag? :ohdear:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

Also Marty leaving is only a guarantee if you let it be. You give him the belt and a mega push, maybe after a few months he thinks hey, he's happy being a top guy and decides he wants to stay after all, and you have a nice little draw on your hands who for once isn't walking out the door with everyone else. And if he still wants to leave then fine, you shot your shot, but at least you gave him a chance. ROH never taking a chance on guys is why they keep bleeding talent in the first place.

Taven's the only guy that could carry it. Jay hasn't been turning any heads lately and Scurll's not really a guy that can go 15-20 minutes without a heavily gimmicked match. It looks like they're building towards Taven vs Rush for Final Battle, while not being a fresh matchup, it'll be new to a lot of ROH fans.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

Scurll's not really a guy that can go 15-20 minutes without a heavily gimmicked match.
the gently caress

E: didn’t realise who i was quoting lmao

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Taven's the only guy that could carry it. Jay hasn't been turning any heads lately and Scurll's not really a guy that can go 15-20 minutes without a heavily gimmicked match. It looks like they're building towards Taven vs Rush for Final Battle, while not being a fresh matchup, it'll be new to a lot of ROH fans.

Oh poo poo, I hadn't thought about them booking Taven because he has lucha experience and can work with Rush.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

Oh poo poo, I hadn't thought about them booking Taven because he has lucha experience and can work with Rush.

Good because they'll gently caress it up when they try and make it matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Remember when people were flipping out how Dave is so clueless for thinking Kurt Angle is actually wrestling Corbin at WrestleMania and it is obvious he's wrestling John Cena?