Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lake of Methane posted:

Speaking of the Isuzu NPR, I recently learned of the Chevy Lieutenant.

I'd drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Lake of Methane posted:

This is why we have abortions people

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lake of Methane posted:

The B-pillar transition is so graceful. Bertone couldn't sculpted a more beautiful design.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

I'd drive it.

Yeah I absolutely do not hate it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Colostomy Bag posted:

The B-pillar transition is so graceful. Bertone couldn't sculpted a more beautiful design.

It looks like hot, kit bashed garbage in real life, but that profile drawing is... not something I totally hate? I mean, if I look at it for a second or two I can see that awful transition and then it starts looking a lot worse, but at a glance I kind of like it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From the Dodge E-class

https://i.imgur.com/dd9EWR2.mp4

It's FWD and cable shift so they could have put the shifter anywhere and gave it any kind of throw.

They chose to make what looks like the most uncomfortable everything.

That boot weirds me out, too.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
buying that same car on craigslist with no plates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftM0A0vh7w

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

From the Dodge E-class

It's FWD and cable shift so they could have put the shifter anywhere and gave it any kind of throw.

Those boots always creeped me out. It's like a rubbery corrugated scrotum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those boots only got worse as they aged and picked up grime from daily use too.

I mean, worse than any other center console on any daily driver ever.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sticky trashy rubbery corrugated scrotum

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Goober Peas posted:

Sticky trashy rubbery corrugated scrotum

Sooooo the regular kind?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Sooooo the regular kind?

Awww nuts!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Powershift posted:

My first car was a [hand me down] Plymouth voyager. The shifter on mine was very similar, boot and all.

Here is a pic of the shifter placement on he minivans- SUPER low. Mine was silver, with shiny, hot as the surface of the sun in summer, vinyl seats, and just as stripped- it had no AC, power anything, TACH, cupholder, the front seats didn’t recline, there wasn’t a seek function on the radio only head unit... it only had the three seater bench in the second row, there wasn’t a third row in ours.

I absolutely hated it at the time (mid- late 90s), but I’d love to have it now.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 7, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dat jiggle doe

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah those boots were like a petri dish from from hell. Good old American bean counting tech.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

STR posted:

Ironically, not looking at another Avalon because they're "too big for a car, too small for a SUV". Her 2nd gen Avalon barely fits in the garage now. It looks like she's leaning toward a Lexus NX on a 2 year lease - I believe that'd be shorter, but taller. It's the length of the car that will determine if she can get it in the garage. The Camry probably won't be an option; she's had a double hip replacement, and can't fall into a car - she already has trouble getting into her Avalon, and even the latest model Camry sits a bit lower. She's much more comfortable climbing into the car and falling out (so to speak). She refuses to get into my current car.

She recently whacked 70, and she doesn't drive nearly as much anymore. So I think a low mileage lease would work well for her.

I'll admit I was thinking more about the larger RX than the NX. The latter sounds like something she'd go for.

Powershift posted:

From the Dodge E-class

Floppy rubber shift boots are primo 1980s material.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vga221-xUFg

Tired of riding around something that has so much turn.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Zeluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vga221-xUFg

Tired of riding around something that has so much turn.

Muzak, reverb on the voice, weird floating heads...

Probably the boomerest thing I've seen in a long while.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I'll admit I was thinking more about the larger RX than the NX. The latter sounds like something she'd go for.

Floppy rubber shift boots are primo 1980s material.

They even have a neat sound when you move them around.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I encountered this in the parking lot of Target yesterday, I know when cheap plastic bumpers fade they get a little stripey but this is insane:

It's fascinating... you can see how the injected plastic flowed through the mold with such clarity.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 7, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Luxrage posted:

I encountered this in the parking lot of Target yesterday, I know when cheap plastic bumpers fade they get a little stripey but this is insane:

It's fascinating... you can see how the injected plastic flowed through the mold with such clarity.

It helps it hide in tall grass.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looks a lot nicer than the GM paintjob just falling off the vehicle at least.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"had a major exhaust leak, car ran like poo poo after getting some muffler work done"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The classic "blind gasket" I've encountered that on freshly-delivered ships in numerous systems.

Like, you just put that in like that and didn't loving question it?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Luxrage posted:

this is what i expect to see whenever someone brags about their carbon fiber thing that apparently exists for their car

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

The position when entering/exiting is a real concern for her (get your loving minds out of the gutter, she's 70 you sick fucks) - she had a double hip replacement a few years back. It's hard for her to climb in/out of cars that require either climbing up or falling in, though she's a lot more mobile than she was before surgery. Her current Avalon is a little hard for her to get out of. She doesn't have too much trouble with GF's car (1st gen Toyota Matrix), but the seating position is considerably higher than a regular Corolla.

I think the NX is a nice compromise. I was pushing for the Camry more because of mileage, but after rethinking it, I think it's just too low. My dad (not my stepdad) has a Camry - he's older than her at 72, but in far better shape. He and my mother rarely talk, and he's not much of a car guy these days, but I asked him about the Camry the other day and mentioned the hip replacement. He likes his Camry, but did mention it sits a bit lower than both the current Avalon and NX. His mother-in-law has similar mobility issues, and can't get in his car (or even her own... this is a good thing for everybody in their city, trust me) anymore.

Unfortunately, dad's 95 year old FIL is still driving (last time I rode with him - about 5 years ago - he was doing about 25 down a 50 mph road, and was too busy gesturing with his hands and talking to me to pay any attention to the road - definitely the most white knuckle trip I've ever had in a car - and I've been in a 70s car doing 150+). They're.... working on that.

A little bit of irony: my dad is retiring "fully" before his FIL (FIL retired from the military, but he still works full time as a [bad] realtor). He closed on his retirement home in the mountains of New Mexico last week; once he sells his business he plans to move up there. Until then, it'll be a short term rental (which is very common for the area it's in - tourist trap area - and fully sanctioned by the HOA, they actually handle the advertising and rentals). Fully furnished, including a golf cart and country club membership. Only issue the inspection found was the original 40 year old water heater. :stonkhat: "Recommend replacement soon". Yeah uh... I told him to shut off the water and gas right-the-gently caress-now and get it replaced, it's a ticking time bomb. No catch pan, house empty most of the time, water heater is upstairs... get that loving thing out before it causes a massive insurance claim. If there was someone checking on the place every day I'd say "replace it as soon as you can", but since it sits empty a lot, that's very much a "oh gently caress no, tear that poo poo out NOW".

That Works posted:

Looks a lot nicer than the GM paintjob just falling off the vehicle at least.

You think it mostly applies to GMs painted in white, but my black GM very much has paint falling off.

At least it has plastic body panels under the paint... which if factory parts, are black. The front bumper isn't factory, so it's this weird poo poo brown color where the paint is missing (not a color my car was ever sold in, and it's definitely bare plastic). My car is a very good candidate for the dreaded full front bra; they hide damage pretty well so long as the bumper is roughly where it should be. It's one of the few occasions where it'll make the car look better AND not have to worry about loving up the paint.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Luxrage posted:

Wait, I assumed this was some kind of lovely vinyl wrap. This is just bare plastic?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The classic "blind gasket" I've encountered that on freshly-delivered ships in numerous systems.

Like, you just put that in like that and didn't loving question it?

Well the exhaust doesn't leak any more now does it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

Well the exhaust doesn't leak any more now does it

Can't leak if it's blocked off at the first union! *galaxy brain*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

woof

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Luxrage posted:

That bumper should be in a museum, or used in an industrial manufactring process and design college.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Humphreys posted:

A lecturer at some School of Design introduced the students to the French Curve Ruler:

And one student graduated then promptly tried to mash every type of angle into the CH-R

I've just seen some studio photos of this car and it's made me notice another thing about this car that I hate. The thing is if it was implemented better I'd think it was kinda cool but it's just pointlessly done because it adds nothing.

The shoulder line on the doors. It starts from the back door, runs all the way through the front door, into the front quarter, down back into the front door, all the way back to the rear door where it swoops up into the rear quarter and then pivots BACK INTO the rear door where it just kinda stops and doesn't accent any other line on the car. It's so weird.

This loving car is some nightmarish Lovecraftian mess of lines and nonsensical decisions. It's like if you tried to get AI to understand car design by feeding it a Juke.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This loving car is some nightmarish Lovecraftian mess of lines and nonsensical decisions. It's like if you tried to get AI to understand car design by feeding it a Juke.

Get used to it. Sadly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Get used to it. Sadly.

Toyota specifically went off the rails recently. The only halfway decent thing to come out of Toyota in the past three years is a milquetoast BMW.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MrYenko posted:

Toyota specifically went off the rails recently. The only halfway decent thing to come out of Toyota in the past three years is a milquetoast BMW.

Speaking of BMW, where the hell did Bangle end up? At Toyota?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's our own fault. All those years of complaining that all Toyota was giving us was invisible beige appliances gave their artists crippling depression and this is how they're dealing with it.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The shoulder line on the doors. It starts from the back door, runs all the way through the front door, into the front quarter, down back into the front door, all the way back to the rear door where it swoops up into the rear quarter and then pivots BACK INTO the rear door where it just kinda stops and doesn't accent any other line on the car. It's so weird.

Does Cumberford still do the design critiques in Automobile magazine? Hell, is he still alive? Those two pages alone kept me subscribing for years longer than I would have otherwise.

E: Yep, he sure does. These spreads translate better to the web than I would have guessed. Cool.

glyph fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 8, 2019

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of BMW, where the hell did Bangle end up? At Toyota?

A shallow grave, I hope.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No. 6 posted:

A shallow grave, I hope.

Butt up first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bangle's work is definitely not as bad in hindsight

and while that toyota is a mess it legitimately looks better than most of the cars BMW is making GBS threads out now