Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More dinky bass from the park pond. Caught three almost back to back with the first one being the second cast of the day, but I dropped the second one into the water before I could get the phone out to take a picture. I caught the first two on a 1/16 oz black in-line spinner I picked up recently, and the third was on a grasshopper wobbler that's probably older than I am, and he went for it the second it touched the water. The third bass (2nd image) is also the biggest bass I've caught from this pond. I'm interested in trying out a wacky worm setup but I'm thinking the bass are still too small at this pond for that to work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe chuck a superlight ned rig instead?

Edit: speaking of, I just nabbed some mushroom head jigs and some watermelon red trd craws. Gonna ned rig it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
For tiny bass, I like catching them on my trout rod using mini jigs or tiny swim baits. The big ones eat the tiny baits too!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Lunch sesh

He barfed up a fish which looked almost exactly like the Keitech I was using, match the hatch baby! My slowly dying Tatula went to poo poo when I caught that fish, which sucked, but I found a 1000 size Penn Battle II laying in the dirt by my car so that's cool.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

Lunch sesh

He barfed up a fish which looked almost exactly like the Keitech I was using, match the hatch baby! My slowly dying Tatula went to poo poo when I caught that fish, which sucked, but I found a 1000 size Penn Battle II laying in the dirt by my car so that's cool.

Nice find, just bought one of those, nice fish too!

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The bass stopped being dinky real fuckin' fast. :stonk:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What died in the tatula? I've been wanting one and tend to be not nice to my gear. :ohdear:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

If you don't fish the salt then you'll be fine I bet. Mine got all rusty and it seized up. It was never the same afterwards. Yesterday it was making a grinding noise and the drag was slipping so I broke it down, cleaned/greased/oiled it, and it still sounds like crap but the drag works better now at least. I need to send it in to Daiwa I think.

Update: I fished the Tatula today, it sounds like absolute trash but worked fine. I think there's salt or dirt or something in one the bearing on the side plate. Upgraded to a bigger spottie model today:

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 5, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Most of the reels I use on the kayak sound like a kid eating a bag of chip but they still catch fish so whatever

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

The catch from my first solo spearfishing trip today. Kind of a :wtf: moment to tool along and see... a golf ball under some seaweed.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I think people like to hit golf balls into the ocean for some reason. When I snorkel in my go to spot in Kauai I always find golf balls. Nice catch bro!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sadly, I've come to admit that I was not successful with the dick lure :(

However my buddy caught this, which none of us could identify. Any thoughts? We're in SoCal, apparently the lake has catfish, trout (rainbow and brown), crappie (white and black), largemouth, smallmouth and stripers. It had sort of a flat mouth like a catfish, but the body of a trout(ish). Didn't have the standard trout mouth, and wasn't colorful at all, so it didn't become dinner.

He somehow hooked it in the tail and landed it.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Think it’s a channel cat.

Small mouth, body shape is about right and boring grey color.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Think it’s a channel cat.

Small mouth, body shape is about right and boring grey color.

No whiskers though, which we found odd.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

No whiskers though, which we found odd.

No spines? Scales present?

May be some sort of native minnow, hitch or chub. I don’t know where my taxidermist book of CA fish is but it’s fairly crazy boo diversity of fresh water fish.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

No spines? Scales present?

May be some sort of native minnow, hitch or chub. I don’t know where my taxidermist book of CA fish is but it’s fairly crazy boo diversity of fresh water fish.

Nope, no spines or scales, it looked and felt like a trout scale wise. We even asked another angler about it, "not sure what they're called, I see them every now and then, but they sure are ugly".

I tried using google lens on it, and it came back with a bunch of bass, but nothing similar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Grass carp or some similar Asian carp. It’s the scales that are confusing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I just came across a Sacramento Blackfish, looks pretty similar. Apparently they've made their way into the socal reservoirs like the stripers via the aqueducts.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 7, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just came across a Sacramento Blackfish, looks pretty similar. Apparently they've made their way into the socal reservoirs like the stripers via the aqueducts.

Well I wasn’t too far off with the native minnow guess. Congrats on snagging one. As a filter feeder it’s not too likely to take a hook.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh hey Colorado raised fishing license rates by 15%.

On the flip side: I am champing at the bit to get out. It’s been two months or something. Got a poo poo load of jujubee midges, juju baetis, radiation baetis, Griffith’s gnats, poison tungs, and a few other patterns tied up. Let’s goooooo!!!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Well I wasn’t too far off with the native minnow guess. Congrats on snagging one. As a filter feeder it’s not too likely to take a hook.

Yeah pretty good guesses there, we were totally oblivious to what it was haha.

Wonder how they taste?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I finally got kicked out of that spot I've been fishing lately (I was 100% sure it was private property but I've gotten lucky), but not before I caught a few bass and a nice little halibut! It's been a while since I've caught one, my last was in August of last year.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I finally got kicked out of that spot I've been fishing lately (I was 100% sure it was private property but I've gotten lucky), but not before I caught a few bass and a nice little halibut! It's been a while since I've caught one, my last was in August of last year.

What lure did the halibut take? Also I forgot sometimes that there are types of halibut that don't need to be shot before landing.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

What lure did the halibut take? Also I forgot sometimes that there are types of halibut that don't need to be shot before landing.

Dang bro, you calling my fish small!? (It was, only maybe 12 inches)

That one ate a 2.8" white Keitech on a 1/4 oz round head jig. Keitech just put out a new line of saltwater swim baits with harder plastic, but only in the 4 inch size.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Dang bro, you calling my fish small!? (It was, only maybe 12 inches)

That one ate a 2.8" white Keitech on a 1/4 oz round head jig. Keitech just put out a new line of saltwater swim baits with harder plastic, but only in the 4 inch size.

It's still a barn door fish, just for a very small barn.

My buddy who lives out on the peninsula is sending me pics of his limits of blackmouths and I'm sitting here at my desk like :suicide:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’ve just arrived at the campground at Portland for another crack at a tuna. When I eventually get one it’s going to be a very loving well earned fish with the amount of kilometres I’ve paddled.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I’ve just arrived at the campground at Portland for another crack at a tuna. When I eventually get one it’s going to be a very loving well earned fish with the amount of kilometres I’ve paddled.

Gonna eat the heart?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Went fishing yesterday and caught a small fuckload of tiny bluegill that *all* tried to swallow the hooks, only one managed to kill itself doing so. I spent an hour and a half trying to entice either of these two huge bass that were hanging around a small pit near the shore to no avail. Second to last fish I caught before heading home was this itty bitty pumpkinseed.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
My trout fishing expeditions have been pretty blown out by rain, but I confused a bunch of city fishermen by catching a bunch of bluegill on my tenkara rod at a local lake.

Pulled up 3-4 one after another until one transported my fly to another dimension through it's mouth (how do they swallow it so deep?) and I didnt have time to re-tie it.

Nobody else caught anything at all so I call it successful! Also, little fish on tenkara feel way bigger than they are, so it was super fun.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 13, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SoapyTarantula posted:

Went fishing yesterday and caught a small fuckload of tiny bluegill that *all* tried to swallow the hooks, only one managed to kill itself doing so. I spent an hour and a half trying to entice either of these two huge bass that were hanging around a small pit near the shore to no avail. Second to last fish I caught before heading home was this itty bitty pumpkinseed.

Hanging around a small pit? Is it brooding season? They wouldn’t be hungry but they would be highly aggressive towards panfish their number one destroyer of egg nests. Get a blue gill shaped lure and toss it at the nest next time. However you may be destroying a successful mated pairs clutch.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You're probably correct, as I watched them chase off a few smaller bass & panfish (which I then caught). I'll avoid their little home if I see them again. I was pretty surprised to see them hanging out 2-3 feet from shore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SoapyTarantula posted:

You're probably correct, as I watched them chase off a few smaller bass & panfish (which I then caught). I'll avoid their little home if I see them again. I was pretty surprised to see them hanging out 2-3 feet from shore.

Water stays warmer for the eggs. Yeah it’s a nest.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gonna eat the heart?

I don’t think I will.

Ended up being an interesting day. I was able to find asquid to troll around easily enough and before long I heard some huge splashing coming my way and a flock of birds gathered over head. I couldn’t see the fish themselves but I could see the splashes as they smashed something on the surface - these weren’t school size tuna. The rod with the squid on it went screaming off, I’ve never had s run like this before. I tightened the drag but the fish didn’t notice. I was hooked up for less than 30 seconds before the leader popped, in that time half the spool was emptied. I’m not using light gear either, the reel was a Penn Slammer 760 spooled with 50lb braid.

After that I rerigged and caught another squid, but as soon as I had it rigged up and was about to set off a seal showed up and stole it. Seals are big fuckers when they’re only a meter or two from your kayak. Luckily it had the good sense to eat around the hooks. After that the wind picked up and headed back to be off the water a bit after midday.

So now I’m thinking I might upgrade the reel to a 1050 spinfisher V with 80lb braid, that way I can really clamp down with the drag and hopefully get towed around rather than lose line. Those spinfishers are sealed too which is going to be handy on the yak.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

I don’t think I will.

Ended up being an interesting day. I was able to find asquid to troll around easily enough and before long I heard some huge splashing coming my way and a flock of birds gathered over head. I couldn’t see the fish themselves but I could see the splashes as they smashed something on the surface - these weren’t school size tuna. The rod with the squid on it went screaming off, I’ve never had s run like this before. I tightened the drag but the fish didn’t notice. I was hooked up for less than 30 seconds before the leader popped, in that time half the spool was emptied. I’m not using light gear either, the reel was a Penn Slammer 760 spooled with 50lb braid.

After that I rerigged and caught another squid, but as soon as I had it rigged up and was about to set off a seal showed up and stole it. Seals are big fuckers when they’re only a meter or two from your kayak. Luckily it had the good sense to eat around the hooks. After that the wind picked up and headed back to be off the water a bit after midday.

So now I’m thinking I might upgrade the reel to a 1050 spinfisher V with 80lb braid, that way I can really clamp down with the drag and hopefully get towed around rather than lose line. Those spinfishers are sealed too which is going to be handy on the yak.

Goddamn man that’s the way it goes sometimes! Good plan with the reel.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

LegionAreI posted:

My trout fishing expeditions have been pretty blown out by rain, but I confused a bunch of city fishermen by catching a bunch of bluegill on my tenkara rod at a local lake.

Pulled up 3-4 one after another until one transported my fly to another dimension through it's mouth (how do they swallow it so deep?) and I didnt have time to re-tie it.

Nobody else caught anything at all so I call it successful! Also, little fish on tenkara feel way bigger than they are, so it was super fun.

Nothing better than bluegill on a tenkara rod. Especially the right one; anybody that’s interested in tenkara needs a Suntech Kurenai HM33r or HM39r. They’re amazingly sensitive, and unbelievably light and strong. The 33 is the red rod in these pics (if I can get Imgur to work), and weighs in at a whopping 1.1oz. The shorter 30 length one is like 0.9oz without the cap. I’ve caught tons of forearm sized and bigger bass, and untold hordes of bluegill on mine, and it’s such a blast. Those little guys will make your rod absolutely sing (no really, it hums and whistles with the line tension on a good one).

Well, here’s the album, if the pics don’t work.

Trying to upload and link these from an iPad, and it’s a pain in the rear end. Looks like it’s all there, but I just see blank boxes when I preview it. Click on the link above if you wanna see some nice pics of bluegills and flies and stuff.

Seriously, if you’re into ultralight fishing, it’s hard to get any lighter than ~1 ounce. So much fun.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The walleye have arrived finally. Caught one Sunday morning before work.

Then went out last night for a couple of hours until after midnight and brought back a six packer.

The toothy bastards are in. :yarr:

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The bass have grown to a pretty good size at the park pond. Caught like 6 bass today using watermelon red curltails on a ghetto texas rig. The one in the second picture was easily two to two and a half pounds, making it my personal best largemouth!

Also been looking at picking up a baitcaster, as the one I sometimes bring is older than I am, anyone in the thread have experience with cheaper (under $70-80) baitcasters? Any specific brands I should avoid / look for? I'm never going to fish salt-water and don't really need crazy high capacity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SoapyTarantula posted:

The bass have grown to a pretty good size at the park pond. Caught like 6 bass today using watermelon red curltails on a ghetto texas rig. The one in the second picture was easily two to two and a half pounds, making it my personal best largemouth!

Also been looking at picking up a baitcaster, as the one I sometimes bring is older than I am, anyone in the thread have experience with cheaper (under $70-80) baitcasters? Any specific brands I should avoid / look for? I'm never going to fish salt-water and don't really need crazy high capacity.

Abu-Garcia has solid designs and their budget reels could be that low or lower.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A black max is always a good option. Daiwa also has some sub $100 options that are supposed to be super nice for their price point in an "80 size" baitcaster. The CR80 has some good reviews at $80.

If you are willing to step up just a hair, the abu garcia revo x is a hell of a workhorse reel at $100.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go for the black max as a starter for now, especially because the left handed version isn't an extra $20.

Also as a side-question, is braid really as fragile when it comes to abrasion as I hear? There's all sorts of poo poo in the waters I go to and I've wanted to try it out, but I don't know if I should be concerned about line breaks more than I would be with mono.