Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

George Zimmer posted:

Class I employee here: I expect another big merger in the next fifteen years and a bunch of new short lines in the next five.

As for who will be in on the next merger, it’s anyone’s guess, there’s loads of possibilities.

1 merger means 2 mergers. its just a matter of how they pair up. a canadian road with an east coast road or a transcon merger. i dont think that the stb/congress/canadian regulators will allow it because there is very little benefit to anyone that isn't a shareholder.

naturally, the big 6 north american railroads want to merge. there's less competition. rates go up, wages stagnate. they can eliminate some duplicate headquarters job functions(1 ceo vs 2 ceo and on down the line) there are some dubious benefits to for the shipper, eliminating the chicago interchange and rates(via cost reduction) are usually mentioned. i don't think that rates have ever dropped and stayed low in the aftermath of a merger. i think that the chicago interchange is a red herring. you can interchange all that traffic at other points but it costs one road or the other some linehaul and that wont fly.

the big 6 effectively operate without any real competition. the other class 1 in the region can steal some business here and there but most facilities only have access to 1 railroad anyways. in places where you might be able to dual served at one end, the other end probably isn't. likewise, there is very little real competition in intermodal domestic lanes. csx owns the new england market because it's a full day faster to worcester(which is also closer to boston than the ns ramp). ns owns the atlanta-ny/nj lane because its double stacked the whole way through. international is a little less sensitive to time so they can be a little pickier.

shortlines don't offer real competition to a class 1 and saying that there will be new shortlines in the next 5 isn't surprising. csx is selling off whatever they can to pump the p&l statement(less cost, the linesale counts as profit). ns and up will do the same. if they're smart about it, they structure the deal and the property so that they can get their cake and eat it to. you dont sell lines with a connection to other railroads. you're the only company that can give them cars for local delivery. the class 1 gets all the linehaul and dump the local service operation on the shortline. you do the same, in reverse, for the traffic they're giving you. that's the most desirable state for a railroad to be in. you dont make very much money delivering cars to warehouses or chemical plants. you make a shitpot of money moving the cars between yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The DoD shot down any Canadian/US rail merger when Harrison tried buying out CSX while at CP, so that specific idea is going nowhere.

vains
May 26, 2004

iospace posted:

The DoD shot down any Canadian/US rail merger when Harrison tried buying out CSX while at CP, so that specific idea is going nowhere.

no, they didn't. they opposed placing cp in a voting trust with harrison as ceo as an interim measure while the stb ruled on the subject. im not legal expert, but i dont think that the dod has a direct say in the matter. maybe a de facto ability to block something, but not a de jure ability.

https://www.railwayage.com/regulatory/doj-dod-oppose-cp-ns-combination/

in fact, the canadians have bought or merged a number of us railroads and did so in an era where rail transportation was a much more prominent. soo lines, ic, grand trunk, delaware and hudson, etc. further, merger talks of a canadian and american road continue right now.

vains fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 7, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought they were staunchly opposed to a foriegn company handling their contracts, or that's how I read it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/n0Wonit.mp4

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:lol:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Melbourne_runaway_train

Suburban electric passenger train runs away, they cut the overhead power but it doesn't stop it going downhill towards the city.

Investigation report: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24454/rair2003001_001.pdf

quote:

Metrol – Yeah mate, we got a situation here, we got the runaway train, the up train fromBroady.

Spencer Street Signal Box – Yeah?

Metrol – It’s already at Glenbervie going towards Essendon. Just wondering, they suggesting that we going to bring it towards you.

Spencer Street Signal Box – You’re going to bring it towards me?

Metrol – Yep, number one box

Spencer Street Signal Box – Oh really? And where am I going to put it?

Metrol – Anywhere. Anywhere that’s safe for the train to stop. If that one, if that will cometowards Spencer Street.

Spencer Street Signal Box – I haven’t got, I haven’t got a platform to put it in.

Metrol – You got no platform to put it in?

Spencer Street Signal Box– Nope!

Metrol – (INAUDIBLE)

Spencer Street Signal Box – The only place I’ll have is platform one when the Adelaide goes. And then it’ll run down and hit the bottom anyway.

Metrol –Yeah.....yeah, that’s the thing.

Spencer Street Signal Box – And it’ll run out of wire and then of course nothing moves.

Metrol –Mmm-hmmm.

Spencer Street Signal Box – And that’s what they want to do?

Metrol – Yep, that’s right.

Spencer Street Signal Box – Righto

Metrol – OK?

Spencer Street Signal Box – No worries.

Metrol – No worries, seeya.

Spencer Street Signal Box – Yeah, hey listen.....(cut off)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Reading the timeline of events, that was handled monumentally poorly. I hope most railroads have better emergency management training in place than that (haha yeah right).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's very much not a train thing, but that still reminded me of the Helge Ingstad frigate incident we had back before Christmas, where a navy ship very calmly navigated straight into an equally calm oil tanker - the communication from everyone involved was completely atrocious, and if anyone at any point had said something like "you are aiming straight at an oil tanker 700m in front of you" instead of vague questions (and the memorable "so we'll have a collision here, then") we could probably have kept a hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars warship above water.

The incident investigation hasn't finished yet, but there's a reasonable summary of what's publicly known here. (Except that I don't think "ashore" means what he thinks it does.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 4, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It gets worse. The govt solicited bids to keep the ship from sinking. But the team that raised the Costa Concordia wanted a lot of money, so another group was hired. The cheaper plan of "chain it to rocks and pump the water out" failed, the ship sank, it's a total loss.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Just needs to dry out a bit.

Full gallery

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Uh so I may have missed it but does anyone have a link to the post about how bad a freight train can go off the rails?

All those knuckles and a billion pounds of freight and the engineer's best option is to jump the gently caress out?

It's probably in the OP or something, I"ll be watching Denzel in Runaway Train in the meantime.

e: Unstoppable, Runaway Train is a Soul Asylum song

Skratchez fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 12, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's been quoted a bunch of times in Funny Forum Quotes, but it looks like it's originally from this very thread ca. 2012:

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

It's been quoted a bunch of times in Funny Forum Quotes, but it looks like it's originally from this very thread ca. 2012:

Thanks much.

That's such a great read.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
ATSB report for the Pilbara runaway is out.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-018/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I have to wonder who made the brilliant decision to have the electric wunderbrakes release after 1 hour without automatically applying the conventional brakes. From the sound of the medium term actions it was done to save the batteries on the cars? :wtc:

vains
May 26, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I have to wonder who made the brilliant decision to have the electric wunderbrakes release after 1 hour without automatically applying the conventional brakes. From the sound of the medium term actions it was done to save the batteries on the cars? :wtc:

engineers, contrary to what they would have you believe, are the dumbest people on the planet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vains posted:

engineers, contrary to what they would have you believe, are the dumbest people on the planet.
Second only to the people who wrote the loving spec

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you want to read more about atomic trains I found a link

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks, that's good reading. You should consider cross-posting that here

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So my son watches a lot of train videos and I've always wondered this: why was coal stored in tenders dry? Given how how coal burns I can't imagine a little bit of water would be that much of a problem and mixing it with water would make it less likely to spill (and also be able to store some water)?

I don't know anything about trains, obvs.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

So my son watches a lot of train videos and I've always wondered this: why was coal stored in tenders dry? Given how how coal burns I can't imagine a little bit of water would be that much of a problem and mixing it with water would make it less likely to spill (and also be able to store some water)?

I don't know anything about trains, obvs.

Disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The big one will be that as your wet coal heats up and burns the water in/on the coal will turn to steam. For a given amount of water, the same amount of steam has a volume something like 1500x greater. All that steam will be in the firebox and the boiler tubes, taking the place of oxygen and exhaust gas. Without oxygen your fire won't burn as well and with your boiler tubes full of steam you won't get as good a transfer of heat from the fire gases to the water. You only want to be generating steam in the boiler barrel, not in the firebox and tubes. And when your wet coal burns some of the energy contained within it is wasted just boiling off the water. Not much, but not an insignificant amount when you are buying and using coal by the hundreds of thousands of tons.

There are other problems too - damp coal can be prone to spontaneous combustion, especially in the bottom layers of a heavy coal pile. It also causes nasty acids and other corrosive mixtures to form from the mix of water and compounds in the coal, which will quickly rot out the bottom of your tender.

On the other hand, engine crews did (still do on steam-hauled excursions, etc.) regularly hose down the coal, either the entire pile in the tender or as they take it out the tender and prepare it to be fed to the fire (or as it gets picked up by the mechanical stoker if you're dealing with some huge-rear end US steam loco). It keeps the dust down, which keeps things relatively clean, stops the pile shifting around too much and helps keep any 'slack' (dust and small particles from badly-screened or poor-quality coal) sticking to the larger lumps so it doesn't just fly straight up the chimney when its fed into the firebox. But there's a big difference between hosing down a pile every couple of hours and storing the pile in a water tank.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Stolen from the OSHA thread

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I mean, that would have been cool if I lived there for awhile.

Probably got old fast though. I wonder when they took out the rails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Syrian Lannister posted:

Stolen from the OSHA thread

You know it's a good Spite House when they actually win.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I don’t know why exactly, but I love street running. The NYNJ still does it in Brooklyn somehow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywc5oVmXE8

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Still happens in Fort Collins, too.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

This derailment happened in Hamilton, Ontario in 1953, close to the centre of the city. There's a mural of this image on a building near where it happened.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2019

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fornax Disaster posted:

This derailment happened in Hamilton, Ontario in 1953, close to the centre of the city. There's a mural of this image on a building near where it happened.

Holy gently caress I would not be standing that close to a still hot train boiler :stare:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Nebakenezzer posted:

As long as we're talking about atomic trains, I just want to bring this up: The movie Atomic Train is the worst/most absurd movie I've ever seen. It is nothing but :wtc: scenes where you constantly find yourself wondering, "how could this get any worse?", and then it does get worse.

Yes, it literally starts with a train full of orphans.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thisislucio/status/1112637637582602241

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

https://twitter.com/DonOBrien1/status/1112955594925903872?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:perfect:

Edit: actually, :golfclap: would work better.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Stupidity around trains has always been a thing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What's the conversion process like to switch a steam locomotive from coal/wood fired to oil fired?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

What's the conversion process like to switch a steam locomotive from coal/wood fired to oil fired?

Fairly straightforward - some locos were built to be convertible between one and the other depending on the logistics/economics of one fuel over the other.

The main one is that you need some way of introducing the oil into the firebox in a combustible form, which requires some sort of nozzle or sprayer (multiple nozzles/sprayers for a large firebox/boiler), for which some sort of fitting or port has to be put into the boiler backhead. Equally, the firing door(s) has to be removed or sealed since you won't be shovelling coal through them anymore.

Except...sometimes you might be. Many oil-fired locos require a coal fire to be lit on the grate when firing up from cold. This gets the firebox hot and starts generating steam. The oil can then be sprayed onto the burning coal which serves as an ignition source. Such locos will also have a bed of broken up firebrick on the grate. Once the coal has burnt away the firebrick remains and will serve as the ignition source for the oil. So you will still need a firing door for this part of the operation. This is often the case with locos burning relatively 'heavy' and low-volatility (hence cheap) fuels. Here in the UK the Great Eastern Railway made the most use of oil-burners and they had this coal-then-oil setup because as fuel they used the waste product of the plant which produced the naptha gas the company used for lighting its carriages.

On a pure oil-burner, using a more combustible fuel (more like kerosene or diesel) you just need a small port next to the oil sprayer - you get a lump of oil-soaked cotton waste on the end of a long stick, light the waste on fire, stick it through the port, turn on the sprayer and that serves as your ignition source. From that point on the already-burning oil coming out of the sprayer serves to ignite the fuel following behind it.

The firedoor may also be used as a means of controlling airflow, admitting secondary air (cold air that hasn't come up through the fire from under the grate) for improved combustion. A convertible locomotive (or one that had been permanently converted from coal to oil) may have the firing door blocked up by a bolt-on plate that holds the oil sprayer and an adjustable flap to control secondary air.

The other issue is how to get the oil from the tank/tender to the sprayer. This has to be done by pressurising it so it will flow along the fuel line (and then possibly a return line back to the tender for the excess). You can use a steam-driven reciprocating pump, a turbopump or, on relatively low-power systems, just use steam pressure from the boiler itself to pressurise a header tank and push oil from the tender to the burner. In any case you will probably need to arrange some means of heating the fuel so it will flow, atomise and burn properly, either by running a steam or hot water loop into the fuel tank to pre-heat the oil or running the fuel line from the tank along/around the boiler barrel so it heats up before it gets to the burner.

That's all the basics. Then you just need the various valves/controls to regulate the amount oil being burnt at any one time. Either a simple regulator valve on the oil pipe (prone to 'flaming out' the nozzle), a burner with two conical parts which are slid along each other to adjust the nozzle's size, a burner with a removable tip so nozzles of different sizes can be fitted or multiple small burners which are turned on/off as needed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Tired: converting steam locomotives from coal to oil
Wired: converting steam locomotives from coal to electricity http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FISHMANPET posted:

Tired: converting steam locomotives from coal to oil
Wired: converting steam locomotives from coal to electricity http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

Hopefully they will invent an engine that uses linear motors to drive pistons so we can get proper reciprocal locomotion instead of boring DC motors.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

~Coxy posted:

Hopefully they will invent an engine that uses linear motors to drive pistons so we can get proper reciprocal locomotion instead of boring DC motors.
I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.