Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they don't really play up the guerilla warrior aspects very well either. wood elves are some nightmare combination of the picts, the traditional scary, insane fairies, and the vietcong. i think their characterisation is the weakest out of any of the factions in warhammer total war.

which isn't to say its awful, its just that every other faction is so well characterised that they look bad by comparison. duruthu the insanely pissed tree boy is still good though.

Nagarythe feels more like I imagine how Wood Elves should play. Then again, whats more Wood Elfy than a stack of Way Watchers providing counter battery fire with almost 300 range.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you think the Empire is bad compare Bretonnia to a map of France.

Some of the bretonnian places are named so hamfistedly that the french translation of Warhammer invented new names because it’s literally just poorly-drawn France with some extra syllables.

Like imagine a country of fantasy Englishmen named “Welshia” with a capital named Crown and featuring such cities as Windechester, Ganterburrey, and Leeds.

I am imagining as hard as I can but the dlc announcement doesn't seem to be happening

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i'm concerned that "malus darkblade" is a pretty silly name and doesn't match the serious and grounded tone of warhammer fantasy, the setting where the moon is made out of magic cheese

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Leon Leoncoeur, the name so nice he got it twice

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Hawgh posted:

There's a town in northwestern Zealand named 'Kværkeby', which translates as Choketown.

I've always worried about that place

Is it really stranger than Stoneless [has the same dirt double meaning as in English], Boneless, Bedless, Make Out, Intestine, Member [body part, also includes the same dirty double meaning as in English], and other strangely-named towns across Denmark? Probably they've all got some more-or-less innocent etymology.

I suppose it just goes to show that however stupid the name you try to think up, someone or somewhere already has an even more stupid name.

edit: or Seed [double meaning], or Beer Piece, I could go on. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 7, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is a town in Pennsylvania called Intercourse and another called Blue Ball

Real life has way dumber names than any fantasy setting

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving, Austria. Which presumably should be somewhere in the north of middenland.

Or near me: Sexhow.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 7, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

alex314 posted:

At least you dudes get some entry. All of Eastern Europe is shoved into fantasy not-Muscovy.

Technically Sylvania cribs a bite from Transylvania, so there's your fantasy Romania/Hungary. Talabecland is supposed to have some Czech elements and both Ostland and Ostermark are meant to evoke unspecific Eastern Europe vibes from Kislevite settlers and refugees intermingling with the local population.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When using mods that give core recruitable humans to vampire counts, I totally feel eastern europe.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZearothK posted:

Technically Sylvania cribs a bite from Transylvania, so there's your fantasy Romania/Hungary. Talabecland is supposed to have some Czech elements and both Ostland and Ostermark are meant to evoke unspecific Eastern Europe vibes from Kislevite settlers and refugees intermingling with the local population.

The Border Princes are also roughly equivalent to the Balkans.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

I can't remember if you are Norwegian or Swedish. But I'm Norwegian and we have lots of "heims"*, even if it may be kind of old-fashioned. Also common in surnames, due to lots of surnames coming from farm names.

*and variants, "hus", "hem", "hjem", etc. would be the same thing dependent on language and local dialect. It's a common naming scheme. And not just in Norway.

Saying it is not used is just flat out wrong.

i love that our third largest city is literally called "trond's place" it owns

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

When you try to translate place names they all become extremely silly, everywhere.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The boss at Darkwater Fort is totally loving broken, he'll oneshot you on any difficulty with a power attack and it's bullshit.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ZearothK posted:

No hope like Poland in the Victorian era.

That is a pretty savage 7 year burn there, but I deserve that.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Some clips of the new units in action:

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/FineExpensiveGoblinChefFrank?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Demigryph Knights wanting no part of Jezzails.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/AliveCoweringWaspStoneLightning?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Ancient Stegadon (Engine of the Gods) with a little friendly fire.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/SecretiveLitigiousFriesHoneyBadger?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Lord Kroak again showing off his Deliverance of Itza.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/AuspiciousBlazingRaisinKippa?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Ikit Claw in his Doomwheel and Doom-Flayers having fun.

Can't seem to find any clips of Ratling Guns, I don't think anyone used them yesterday, but here is the casters showing off all the new units/RoR pre battle:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407044536?t=01h55m10s - Skaven unit overview
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407044536?t=02h05m18s - Lizardmen unit overview

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

turn off the TV posted:

When you try to translate place names they all become extremely silly, everywhere.

Men Defender's Town is a dark, dark place

ad090 posted:

Some clips of the new units in action:

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/FineExpensiveGoblinChefFrank?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Demigryph Knights wanting no part of Jezzails.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/AliveCoweringWaspStoneLightning?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Ancient Stegadon (Engine of the Gods) with a little friendly fire.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/SecretiveLitigiousFriesHoneyBadger?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Lord Kroak again showing off his Deliverance of Itza.
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/clip/AuspiciousBlazingRaisinKippa?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time - Ikit Claw in his Doomwheel and Doom-Flayers having fun.

Can't seem to find any clips of Ratling Guns, I don't think anyone used them yesterday, but here is the casters showing off all the new units/RoR pre battle:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407044536?t=01h55m10s - Skaven unit overview
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407044536?t=02h05m18s - Lizardmen unit overview

Holy gently caress Natty jezails are invisible and can shoot WHILE invisible at 300 range :psyduck:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I can't remember if you are Norwegian or Swedish. But I'm Norwegian and we have lots of "heims"*, even if it may be kind of old-fashioned. Also common in surnames, due to lots of surnames coming from farm names.

*and variants, "hus", "hem", "hjem", etc. would be the same thing dependent on language and local dialect. It's a common naming scheme. And not just in Norway.

Saying it is not used is just flat out wrong.

The amounts of time I have used Heim in everyday speech (Swedish/Danish) can be evenly divided between talking about Vikings/Norse gods and WH things. Neither of which I do on a regular basis.
So Including hem/hjem in it is just moving the goalposts.

Btw trying to make real world sense of fantasy settings is kinda silly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Lucky is back and brings a preview video for his Greenskins overhaul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYf1p4FgI4

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

I am imagining as hard as I can but the dlc announcement doesn't seem to be happening

Not-England and Not-Britain kinda permeate every ham faction that isn’t explicitly a Not-Somewhere-Else but actually I’d love to see a full GW take on Not-England.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The warplock jezzail RoR having concealment bombs, snipe, stalk, shield breaker, silver shields, 70 armor, 40 speed, 300 range and AP missiles seems pretty insane.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not-England and Not-Britain kinda permeate every ham faction that isn’t explicitly a Not-Somewhere-Else but actually I’d love to see a full GW take on Not-England.

Isn't that just Bretonnia?

e: I guess to clarify, Bretonnia has always struck me as an amalgamation of Brittany, Normandy and England and draws influence from periods where those three were pretty heavily intertwined politically with some extra french geographical elements thrown in for good measure.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 7, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

toasterwarrior posted:

Lucky is back and brings a preview video for his Greenskins overhaul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYf1p4FgI4

I really like the specialization lines. Hopefully he can bring that to some other factions. Also the bodyguards!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Really ok with the exploding squig.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dude's put a lot of cool poo poo into this one, he mentioned that he hope it'll be the standard for faction revamps moving forward. I'd be stoked to have bodyguards for Dwarf Lords so they feel a lot cooler to use, and less cheesy just by parking some dude with all the ward saves from forging items out front while Vietnam occurs on all enemies surrounding him.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, we need another Orc faction up north.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just going by the names we're the vampirates.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

Just going by the names we're the vampirates.

Egotistical bloodsuckers raiding everywhere and taking everyone's poo poo?

Yeah, that checks out. That's us.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

The warplock jezzail RoR having concealment bombs, snipe, stalk, shield breaker, silver shields, 70 armor, 40 speed, 300 range and AP missiles seems pretty insane

Isn't that just Bretonnia?

e: I guess to clarify, Bretonnia has always struck me as an amalgamation of Brittany, Normandy and England and draws influence from periods where those three were pretty heavily intertwined politically with some extra french geographical elements thrown in for good measure.

I guess sort of. It’s kind of King Arthur pasted over France which at least as a non-british person doesn’t really use any modern british stereotypes. It’d be fun to see how brits self-parodied themselves in Hams.

CA having the knights and peasants be holy grail frenchmen and peasants is really good and seems british, that said

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh you wanted modern british? Orks.

You want old british? Bretonnia.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orkzit means Orkzit.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Third World Reagan posted:

Orkzit means Orkzit.

We’z gonna vote on Orkzit as many times as it takes me ta krump any git wut votes “no”.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Aerocrastic finally brought Rattlings, but they got run down pretty quick. Visually, they're perfect though.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

Aerocrastic finally brought Rattlings, but they got run down pretty quick. Visually, they're perfect though.

yea, that's the coolest woodelf use i seen, it was just a overrun :)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen jezzails get dumpstered. I wonder if anything but Wildriders can really do that, though.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Mordja posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407583441?t=02h18m46s - You can see them here in action.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh all of those weapon teams were kind of a weird pick on such a tiny map.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I guess sort of. It’s kind of King Arthur pasted over France which at least as a non-british person doesn’t really use any modern british stereotypes. It’d be fun to see how brits self-parodied themselves in Hams.

CA having the knights and peasants be holy grail frenchmen and peasants is really good and seems british, that said

If I remember right, the peasants have british accents and the knights (and Ladies) have French ones, at least in Total War: Warhammer. Make of that what you will.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Oh man, imagine these bad boys with veterancy, skill upgrades, and tech...

I love how the ratling gun in the trailer wasn't full-on minigun mode, then you remember that there's at least 30 of those bastards in a unit...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The british are just an old french colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly, I see more of the Carolingian cycle, particularly of the Peers of Charlesmagne (i.e.: literally where the word "Paladin' comes from) in Bretonnia than straight up Arthurian Tales. Though I must concede that there is a lot of similarities and cross-polination between them, and I might be biased because I am more familiar with the Matter of France than Britain's.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That is a pretty savage 7 year burn there, but I deserve that.

Hey, that was a pretty cool LP! It's a testament to it that I remember it every time I see your name.