Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

It's Nintendo. They are not going to patch botw for 60fps (and any Switch model will not be strong enough to do that in the first place).

Yeah, they never patched any older games to run better on the N3DS as far as I remember. Hackers showed it could have worked (forcing Pokemon to run at N3DS clocks cuts down the lag significantly without breaking anything) but Nintendo never made it official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I am forever grateful for my terrible eyes that have never been able to to discern graphical problems or frame rates. Like, Nintendo tells me Smash and Mario Kart run at 60fps and I believe them but gently caress if I'd know or care otherwise.

I'm with this guy, 60 frames, 30 frames,. As long as they're isn't sharp drops in frame rate its the last thing on my mind. As for 4k well my television is 24inch and I mostly play handheld, I honestly could tell 4k from 720 on that thing. gently caress having an enormous TV uglying up my house for the "ultimate gaming experience".

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Andrast posted:

I don't think this is the case for botw
You're right, both versions are capped at 30. It's more correct to say that the level of performance is different in both modes, and that the docked mode has access to more resources but nintendo chose to spend the increase on running the game in a higher resolution, which actually leads to a worse FPS in some cases. The performance is definitely scaleable though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

man, I would pay so much for a Mario: Kingdom Battle game.

Heard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brother Entropy posted:

beelining the master sword means delaying upgrading your stamina bar until you have enough heart containers for the sword and like, that is way more important when it comes to enjoying the game than having the master sword

No it doesn't. You can swap stamina and heart upgrades at the one village shrine, it just costs some money to do so. So play with high stamina and using food for bonus hearts until you hit the threshold then go get the sword. You can have the best of both worlds.

sethsez posted:

Weapon durability only sucks because it's at its absolute worst in the first few hours of the game, for just long enough to really build a grudge against it. Mid-tier and better weapons are reasonably durable, and you spend the vast majority of the game with them, but by the time you've gotten there you're already spent a few hours schlepping around with sticks and lovely clubs and the damage has been done.

You can literally pick up knight swords and other durable, mid-high tier weapons as soon as you leave the plateau. But like all open world games, it's a matter of coming across them. Or you can just rush the castle and do some high risk exploration because I'm pretty sure there are royal (great)swords right by it.

Or the one map tower that spawns royal greatswords on top of it for a source of free, zero risk (once you climbed the tower) high powered weapons.

Stuff like bone weapons will never stop having poo poo durability because that's the intent, but dragonbone clubs are still nice for smashing the hell out of enemies.

OTOH I never encountered the Korok seed NPC until after I beat the game, so I played the entire thing with the default inventory size. :shepicide:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can't play it on the bus tho :dukedog:

look at dis guy what doesnt own a 2080 alienware laptop :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to bring the switch on the metro but I'm worried I'll drop it when it jostles. It's kind of unwieldy.

I need to get an actual controller too the joycons are awful feeling

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to bring the switch on the metro but I'm worried I'll drop it when it jostles. It's kind of unwieldy.

Do you have a nerve disorder or something

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you bring it on the metro or what

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have a nerve disorder or something

Lol no it's just a bit weighty and the DC metro is a piece of poo poo, it's nothing about the switch itself

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol there we go, perfect

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
When I played Overcooked 2 when it first came out I thought in was trivially easy. In 2 player we 3 starred most levels on our first try and almost all of them on our second.

Just went back to try again since I read they added a 4th star in the newest update and lol. Just stupidly difficult. Requires near perfect dashing, routing, and throwing at max speed the whole time. This has gotta be balanced for 4 player specifically. But now I feel like a chump if I come back and say it's too hard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Technically switch related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJTeVOOFMHM

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Literally can't tell a difference

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Literally can't tell a difference

I wish I couldn't tell a difference. The animations are so slick in that video. Even Link's resting animation is smoother.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bushisms.txt posted:

I wish I couldn't tell a difference. The animations are so slick in that video. Even Link's resting animation is smoother.

Yeah, everything is super smooth it's beautiful, lol if you can't tell the difference between a solid 60fps at the Deku Tree and the 20 you get on the Switch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't mind low fps as long as it's consistent

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The deku tree canonically has a magical field that makes the world 20 fps. That's what he does in Ocarina of Time, but he was more powerful back then and could affect the entire world before he died and was reborn

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That man is a treasure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The deku tree canonically has a magical field that makes the world 20 fps. That's what he does in Ocarina of Time, but he was more powerful back then and could affect the entire world before he died and was reborn

Yeah but he dies tho so the frame rate should have gone up after the first dungeon. :colbert:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah but he dies tho so the frame rate should have gone up after the first dungeon. :colbert:

The deku sapling is growing slowly the entire game though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW is a screen protector worth the price or not really

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

RBA Starblade posted:

100% yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Depends how much you care about the matte finish

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Count me amongst the disposable income dipshits who would drop $300 on a non-portable 4K 60FPS Switch or a $400 portable that can do 4K60 docked and something close in tablet mode.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It’s worth it imo

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Count me amongst the disposable income dipshits who would drop $300 on a non-portable 4K 60FPS Switch or a $400 portable that can do 4K60 docked and something close in tablet mode.

Not even the "pro" consoles can do that and you are hoping for a tablet?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I bought a PS4, then upgraded that to a Pro. I bought an Xbox One S, then upgraded that to an X after 2 months. I'm 99% sure I'll buy whatever "pro" version of the Switch that eventually comes out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks yall I'll pick one up, wasn't sure how resistant it was

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

lunar detritus posted:

Not even the "pro" consoles can do that and you are hoping for a tablet?

Yeah this.
I'd totally drop USD $450+ on a non-portable version though, because gently caress the UI for the other two.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks yall I'll pick one up, wasn't sure how resistant it was

Get one of the tempered glass ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The screen on the switch looks so so poo poo without a glass cover

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Glass screen protector is pretty much required for the Switch. You can buy whatever dumb grips and accessories or overpriced cases (like mine) that you want, but nobody should have to have a touchscreen device with a lovely plastic screen in TYOOL 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did they kill the sound emulation just to keep it at 60 in the korok forest?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Any news on that new mainline Pokemón-game for the Switch that was announced recently? I want to say I remember Nintendo saying it'll come out in Summer, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Libluini posted:

Any news on that new mainline Pokemón-game for the Switch that was announced recently? I want to say I remember Nintendo saying it'll come out in Summer, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Pokemon games usually come out in November, so I would expect the same for this years entries.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Libluini posted:

The only release info given was "late 2019." Will probably end up being a November release.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I caved and bought Zelda lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

RBA Starblade posted:

The switch screen is not like a phone screen, it's plastic and WILL scratch. Speaking as someone who uses his phone with no case or screen protector and has no issues, I would not own a switch without a tempered glass protector on it.