Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shoren posted:

The funny thing is that after I told her about Google suggesting articles about Holmes' upcoming wedding she suggested we talk about something completely unrelated to see if Google picks up on it. She brought up John Oliver's segment on the WWE from a recent episode of Last Week Tonight, three specific subjects I also haven't had any recent activity with either. I did see another suggestion about how Bret Hart was recently attacked during a WWE event, but that can be chalked up to it being a trending story.

Immediately after reading your post, I switched to my Twitter tab and the top tweet was this:

https://twitter.com/APEastRegion/status/1114921577404092416

:tinfoil:

Well, it was the main AP account retweeting that one, so yeah the trending news effect is big. And it might be more useful to advertising than simply suggesting something you are already talking about. Lots of algorithms today seem to be simply "suggest the trending stuff to everyone, rack up those views".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nah I don't but just try it and see what happens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is it possible SHE googled about deadlifting while you were talking to her?

I could totally see google corresponding searches and geo-location to suggest similar topics.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bull3964 posted:

Is it possible SHE googled about deadlifting while you were talking to her?

I could totally see google corresponding searches and geo-location to suggest similar topics.

Nope, she wasn't using her iPhone at the time and although I have her number in my phone we're not connected via any Google services or social media accounts. That's why this whole situation feels so bizarre!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kerning Chameleon posted:

If the Pixel 3a XL has comparable specs to my 6P, that'll be good enough for me. It's still fine for now, but sooner or later this phone will die and I can't ever afford bigboy pixel money, so it's good to get a feel for the field ahead of time.

NFC is a must, aside from how nice Google Pay is I have a Yubikey challenge-response added to unlocking my Keepass archive. Fingerprint sensor and stock Android are very nice, but can slide if need be. Everything else is negotiable.

I think the 3a is supposed to be comparable to the OG Pixel but with a 3 camera which sounds really good but Google will probably price it at $500 and support it as well or even worse than the 3

Google probably gave up trying to fix memory management on the 3 with Pie and just punted to Q like they did with BT on Oreo

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 7, 2019

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
How would they transfer and analyze all that speech data though? Listening to everything 24/7 must be gigabytes of data every day. Pretty sure people would notice when their data caps are being hit because of secret Google voice transmissions. Or are they analyzing it on the phone? Because I can't imagine they could do speech analysis 24/7 without a significant battery hit.

Also, my Google home can't understand "hey Google turn off the light" half the time when there background noise. I can't imagine theres much use in audio recorded from my pants pockets while walking or while the phone is laying in the next room.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I get people get paranoid about spying but you can be sure tons of other people have hooked those things up to Ethernet traffic analyzers and don't see anywhere enough traffic to cover constant 24/7 audio transmission

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Every time I have one of those moments it's creepy but there's usually another plausible explanation, like I had a spoken conversation with somebody talking about a local butcher shop and a restaurant that both had "meat" in the name, used my phone to look up some info on the butcher shop. Hours later I get one of those suggestion notifications for the other restaurant, and it does feel weird, but I see how they got there. The veneer of omniscience is mitigated by how dumb some of the other ones are -- I also get "place you might like" suggestions for places I already go to all the time.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm not suggesting that Android phones are recording their users and sending recordings of every spoken word to a Google server somewhere. I was thinking more along the lines of how if the Pixel phones can identify songs without a data connection then what's stopping them from having a function that listens for speech and picks out keywords (all done locally) that later get sent as simple text strings so Google services can suggest stuff to you? Just text would be small enough in size to get lost in all the data that gets transmitted.

Anyway, I'm getting too conspiratorial with this line of thinking and I'm not the right type of engineer to work it out anyhow. I was just trying to rationalize the weird thing that happened, but I understand that this is a kind of rabbit hole that we probably shouldn't go down in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shoren posted:

I'm not suggesting that Android phones are recording their users and sending recordings of every spoken word to a Google server somewhere. I was thinking more along the lines of how if the Pixel phones can identify songs without a data connection then what's stopping them from having a function that listens for speech and picks out keywords (all done locally) that later get sent as simple text strings so Google services can suggest stuff to you? Just text would be small enough in size to get lost in all the data that gets transmitted.

Anyway, I'm getting too conspiratorial with this line of thinking and I'm not the right type of engineer to work it out anyhow. I was just trying to rationalize the weird thing that happened, but I understand that this is a kind of rabbit hole that we probably shouldn't go down in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback.

FWIW I think there's something to this and so do many others I've spoken with. There's definitely the risk of selection bias, but keep testing it with things you could plausibly be interested in.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Shoren posted:

Nope, she wasn't using her iPhone at the time and although I have her number in my phone we're not connected via any Google services or social media accounts. That's why this whole situation feels so bizarre!

Do you use Google contacts? If so I bet if her phone number is attached to her Google account and Google has already linked the two of you together. Now your friend who normally comes from a few IP addresses (home, work, T-mobile/Spring/etc) suddenly comes from a different one and hey look Shoren does to! That right there is enough to link the two of you together as "friends". There's no way Google is listening for keywords to send back to the mothership to feed you ads, some security researcher would have announced it because that's a story worth $$$. However, inside the Google network are they doing all sorts of AI shenanigans to find links to feed you content? Sure! Probably similar to Facebook's shadow profile. Basically, there's no way around it without going Ted Kaczynski and giving up everything modern.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I get people get paranoid about spying but you can be sure tons of other people have hooked those things up to Ethernet traffic analyzers and don't see anywhere enough traffic to cover constant 24/7 audio transmission

As mentioned above, 24/7 audio transmission is obviously not required. The voice recognition software is on the device. It just needs to listed for a certain phrase that matches some set of advertising parameters. I'm thinking it would be costly on processing power and battery time, speech recognition is fairly heavy stuff to compute.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, these companies correlate by IP address all the time even through several degrees of seperatation. I can look up something in an private tab in firefox on a computer and then less than 10 seconds later Facebook is serving ads associated with what I was looking at on my phone even if I'm connected to cellular and off my network.

The only way you are not going to get tracked and profiled is to withdraw from the internet altogether.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is anecdotal moreso to all of you, but it actually happened to me: approx 5-6 years ago, my wife and I heard that this sort of thing was happening with people's phones. We were at home and did an experiment with it. We looked around our place, chose an object at random, and then talked about it, with our phones on, for ten minutes. We chose to talk about ovens, and in a few days, sure enough we both ended up with oven ads on our Facebook feeds. Not sure if it's Google or Facebook directly, but someone is DEFINITELY listening.

I couldn't care less; I realize there's no way to stop being advertised to, so it might as well be properly targeted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm officially having the dumbest issue imaginable with my Huawei Mate 10:

Every time the phone is restarted, such as getting a security update, the phone turns on the system-wide sound virtualization options and fucks up the audio output.

It's an easy fix but WTF, Huawei.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Google and Facebook can use your location data and some fancy math to figure out what you're buying without having to listen in on you: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/607938/google-now-tracks-your-credit-card-purchases-and-connects-them-to-its-online-profile-of-you/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can remap or disable the button in 9.0 iirc, check the Bxactions app

You can also assign routines and stuff from the actual app at this point. I've got mine set to drop media volume to 0 and then follow up with Ringtone et al to 0 which kicks everything into a vibrate only mode. Just wanted a hardware mute button and close enough that it works for me. I had the third party apps on my 8 and felt weird about giving it permissions so I just avoided the button altogether.

Slowly improving every year based on complaints; the samsung method.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 8, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Whatever Google has data mined about my identity, it hasn't been enough to get targeted ads that would interest me. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

It's been years since a factory reset has actually fixed any issue I've had with a phone that couldn't have been done by clearing cache instead so I get legit annoyed people continually recommend it like it's some Windows 98 computer
I couldn't find any way to fix my Note 10.1's bootloop last month other than doing a factory reset. Now it's doing it again, and clearing the cache isn't helping. gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is anecdotal moreso to all of you, but it actually happened to me: approx 5-6 years ago, my wife and I heard that this sort of thing was happening with people's phones. We were at home and did an experiment with it. We looked around our place, chose an object at random, and then talked about it, with our phones on, for ten minutes. We chose to talk about ovens, and in a few days, sure enough we both ended up with oven ads on our Facebook feeds. Not sure if it's Google or Facebook directly, but someone is DEFINITELY listening.

I couldn't care less; I realize there's no way to stop being advertised to, so it might as well be properly targeted.

I think what's happening here is you're seeing ads for random bullshit all the time, so if you start looking for a specific kinds of ad you'll eventually see it. It's like how if you consider buying and do research on a particular model of car you start seeing the car everywhere because your brain picks it out from the background noise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think what's happening here is you're seeing ads for random bullshit all the time, so if you start looking for a specific kinds of ad you'll eventually see it. It's like how if you consider buying and do research on a particular model of car you start seeing the car everywhere because your brain picks it out from the background noise.

I considered that, yeah, but for a good 6 months before then, I started really being selective about what ads I see, what pages I hit like on, hell, even what posts from friends I react to. Like I said, I know I'll never not be advertised to, so I at least try and steer it towards stuff I'm actually interested in. So, amid ads for audio plugin sales and video game stuff, I (well, both my wife and I) started to see ads for ovens from big chain stores as well as smaller, local dealers. None of these stores I've ever interacted with through FB, and since we were renting, we weren't even in the market for them.

I'm not in any way saying you're incorrect, because that phenomenon DOES happen (especially with words and language), and it might've been at play here. I'm just elaborating on my specific situation.

Edit: I should say that I'm a big believer (?) / supporter (?) of Occam's Razor, and I legitimately don't know what to truly believe to be more likely or unlikely... That my phone is picking up on keywords from my mic that didn't have any sort of permission restrictions applied, or I ended up noticing ads for appliances, specifically ovens, more. I really don't know. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 8, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got the 9.0 update last week on my S8± and now my alarm in Timely doesn't go off. It goes off after I wake up, get on the phone, and open up the app. I tested it before bed by setting it two minutes away and then looking at something else and it went off but I guess that's because I still had the phone open. What settings got screwed up?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They're down to minutes now in some cases.

It doesn't bother me so much like it does some others. The problem I have is when I search for something weird or random because it came up in something completely out of context, and then it takes a few days/weeks for ads to filter out of the chain again. If they can figure out the difference between genuine interest and curiosity, then we'll all be in real trouble.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Are the new Nokia phones any good?

The 8.1 is currently £280 putting it about the same price as the Moto G7 Plus which I was also considering.

I've had a Hauwei P10 for the past couple of years, but the total lack of updates (in the UK) has been frustrating, as is dealing with Huawei support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ultrasonic fingerprint sensor in the S10 series has been defeated by lifting a fingerprint off a wine glass and using a $450 3d printer to create a false 3d fingerprint.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-galaxy-s10-fingerprint-sensor-defeated-by-a-450-3d-printer/

Capacitive sensors remain the most secure fingerprint authentication as they are the most logistically difficult to fool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

The ultrasonic fingerprint sensor in the S10 series has been defeated by lifting a fingerprint off a wine glass and using a $450 3d printer to create a false 3d fingerprint.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-galaxy-s10-fingerprint-sensor-defeated-by-a-450-3d-printer/

Capacitive sensors remain the most secure fingerprint authentication as they are the most logistically difficult to fool.

What's the inscreen one in my Nokia 9?
If I was a journalist I'd want to see someone reproduce the experiment before I unequivocally declare this as true though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

If someone's going to go through the trouble of 3D printing your fingerprint you've got bigger problems than how secure the biometrics on your phone are.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have cheap USB-C earbuds they like? I'm using the Google ones (like the Assistant, but don't use it much, and like the open design for use in an office), but the bass in the left ear went out and it's annoying.

I was looking at trying these from OnePlus. $20 ain't bad.
https://www.oneplus.com/product/oneplus-type-c-bullets-earphones

Amazon has a bunch in the $20-30 range, but none from brands I recognize. Decent reviews, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Desk Lamp posted:

If someone's going to go through the trouble of 3D printing your fingerprint you've got bigger problems than how secure the biometrics on your phone are.

Law enforcement comes to mind. All of the current legalities about whether or not they can compel you to unlock your phone with a finger goes away if they can just fingerprint you and print something out to unlock your phone.

Charles posted:

What's the inscreen one in my Nokia 9?

An even less secure optical one that can be filled by a picture.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Uthor posted:

Anyone have cheap USB-C earbuds they like? I'm using the Google ones (like the Assistant, but don't use it much, and like the open design for use in an office), but the bass in the left ear went out and it's annoying. [/url]

Amazon has a bunch in the $20-30 range, but none from brands I recognize. Decent reviews, though.

Yeah, the Pixel-C buds ended up being on the lovely end for me as well, they can't deal with sweat or rain without completely freaking out.

I gave up on cords and went with the Skullcandy Method Wireless on the Google store when I received the $50 code for being an early Pixel buyer. Works like magic and has decent audio considering it's Bluetooth.

Those $20-$30 no-name brackets on Amazon are all comparable in quality to the Pixel-Cs, they just don't have Google Assistant.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a couple of wireless sets. I dislike using them outside of when I'm cycling. Want to stick with wires.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

An even less secure optical one that can be filled by a picture.

How much less secure though considering people have been having issues with reliably unlocking with it? Apparently glass screen protectors will make the situation even worse. I have a protector on mine and I gotten the hang of making it somewhat reliable. That said, it does need some considerable pressure to work and seems to be really sensitive to anything but indoor room temperature conditions. More often than not, I'll just unlock with my pin after two failed readings.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I don't think the 3D printed fingerprint thing is going to be the next huge scandal. I guess any story that highlights the importance of not relying on any one security mechanism is good, but ultimately if your phone has been stolen, the safest thing is to trigger a remote wipe of your phone or something like that. Anything less is never a guarantee.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The reason why it's notable is Qualcomm made a big deal about it being a 3d scan and how it could detect blood flow which would make it far more secure. But it turns out it just needs depth info, it doesn't even have to be correct depth info, and the blood flow stuff can be tricked through gloves.

At the end of the day, it really isn't much more secure or faster than the optical scanner, so it might be better to dispense with adding the extra cost and just go that route.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I just got updated to Pie and holy gently caress is the mutitask window loving poo poo now. What idiot thought that spreading everything out so you don't have everything close together and easily accessible was a good idea? Jesus

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lemming posted:

I just got updated to Pie and holy gently caress is the mutitask window loving poo poo now. What idiot thought that spreading everything out so you don't have everything close together and easily accessible was a good idea? Jesus

The cards need to be big so you can see what you're selecting when you copy and paste any arbitrary text from the multitasking pane!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sourdough posted:

The cards need to be big so you can see what you're selecting when you copy and paste any arbitrary text from the multitasking pane!

This has actually come in handy a couple times when an app wouldn't let me copy from within it, but I could from the overview.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anyone a clue what the icon on the left means? It appeared on my mom's Moto G5+ (Oreo). It doesn't seem to be associated with a notification and it's not in the right place for it anyway. It looks Google related.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anyone a clue what the icon on the left means? It appeared on my mom's Moto G5+ (Oreo). It doesn't seem to be associated with a notification and it's not in the right place for it anyway. It looks Google related.

I think it's a Data Saver icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think it's a Data Saver icon.

It is.