Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

From what I understand the recommendation to newbies who might understandably have a reaction of "I should use a low-cost suit so I don't drag the team down as much" is "Actually, don't be afraid to use a high-cost suit because they have more tools and teach you how to better play the game and when you get more comfort and experience under your belt you can start looking at weaker, low-cost options once you know what you're doing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Part of the problem though is that Versus tells you gently caress all about what a lot of the high cost suit stuff does. Like yeah a lot of them are pretty obviously just beams and missiles, but things like the zero system, Tallgeese 2's buff, or whatever Throne Drei's special ability was weren't explained anywhere.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah I definitely had that problem cause I wanted to play the Wing Zero and even USING it was a mystery to me

Maybe it's true to the system in-show in that way

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CMD598 posted:

That's great but also mostly irrelevant to the discussion of using Ms tech for conventional vehicles. That you can has never been in question, how it would improve things is.

I don't honestly get what you're looking for. It improves things the same way a superior power source always improves things: by providing more power, more efficiently and/or for longer. That's all it can ever improve things, for any platform. Why would the military not use it? The only reasons I can think of are cost and/or size, and both of those are non-issues in UC as far as we can ascertain; and as such can be taken as non issues for the purposes of this hypothetical scenario.

Anything beyond that will be down to the design of the platform in question and not the power source, because the power source doesn't influence anything else. Including on mobile suits.

CMD598 posted:

I can't seem to find any indication that the core fighter has a reactor

Mark Simmons is one of the premier sources of official Gundam translation and information in the English speaking world, having worked directly for Sunrise translating information. His personal site has a good few articles he's translated or discussed on his own, including this one about power generation for units in UC.

Mark Simmons posted:

Consider the famous RX-78 Gundam. The Gundam has a pair of thermonuclear reactors installed in its core block, which also serve as engines when this central block unfolds into an independent Core Fighter. When the core block is connected to the Gundam's body, the reactors' thermal energy is transferred by high-pressure gas to chambers in the Gundam's waist and legs, where it can be used for supplemental power generation.

He hasn't listed data sources for that particular piece of information, but most of his stuff is taken from a variety of data books or gunpla manuals, and the article includes a table that lists the core fighter's reactors as the Gundam's main reactors while the unit itself only includes some supplemental generators. It's not definitive proof, but given his reputation I'd certainly give it a lot of weight and consider it true until proven false personally.

CMD598 posted:

We're not rebuilding our military to 70s standards to combat ecm particles in preparation for the the first space war after like a century of unified peace.

This is why hypotheticals exist.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 1, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Merilan posted:

From what I understand the recommendation to newbies who might understandably have a reaction of "I should use a low-cost suit so I don't drag the team down as much" is "Actually, don't be afraid to use a high-cost suit because they have more tools and teach you how to better play the game and when you get more comfort and experience under your belt you can start looking at weaker, low-cost options once you know what you're doing"

Very true, because low-cost suits often come with significant handicaps that take a lot of player skill to overcome. Like, the GM Sniper II is pretty incredible for having a really high-damage, nearly hitscan main gun but you better be drat good at boost usage because it has one of the lowest boost gauges in the game and attacking with said main gun consumes boost. Given to a new player, they're going to get punished mercilessly a lot.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

tsob posted:

I don't honestly get what you're looking for. It improves things the same way a superior power source always improves things: by providing more power, more efficiently and/or for longer. That's all it can ever improve things, for any platform. Why would the military not use it? The only reasons I can think of are cost and/or size, and both of those are non-issues in UC as far as we can ascertain; and as such can be taken as non issues for the purposes of this hypothetical scenario.

Anything beyond that will be down to the design of the platform in question and not the power source, because the power source doesn't influence anything else. Including on mobile suits.

I don't think I implied that it was impossible or stupid to do it, but that it really wouldn't do much by itself.

quote:

Mark Simmons is one of the premier sources of official Gundam translation and information in the English speaking world, having worked directly for Sunrise translating information. His personal site has a good few articles he's translated or discussed on his own, including this one about power generation for units in UC.

Didn't know that was still up.

quote:

He hasn't listed data sources for that particular piece of information, but most of his stuff is taken from a variety of data books or gunpla manuals, and the article includes a table that lists the core fighter's reactors as the Gundam's main reactors while the unit itself only includes some supplemental generators. It's not definitive proof, but given his reputation I'd certainly give it a lot of weight and consider it true until proven false personally.

I mean I guess it could work, but I've also seen random scans detailing the actual dimensions of an MS reactor that would basically make the core fighter a literal flying pair of reactors at best. Also, it's kind of saying that the core fighter is propelled by pure fusion somehow which is counter to everything I know about UC propulsion and also I'm pretty sure impossible in its configuration.

quote:

This is why hypotheticals exist.

We'll, it's basically down to whether someone builds it. I consider the canonical widespread adoption of mobile suits to be mostly a matter of circumstance and not everyone growing brainworms and deciding to just build giant robots. Just imagine a world where Zeon went with MIP instead of Zeonic...

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
A world where we still find Z'goks is a world worth living.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CMD598 posted:

I don't think I implied that it was impossible or stupid to do it, but that it really wouldn't do much by itself.

It'll do as much as a power source will ever do by itself: power things. It doesn't do more than that on any military platform. Including mobile suits.

CMD598 posted:

I mean I guess it could work, but I've also seen random scans detailing the actual dimensions of an MS reactor that would basically make the core fighter a literal flying pair of reactors at best. Also, it's kind of saying that the core fighter is propelled by pure fusion somehow which is counter to everything I know about UC propulsion and also I'm pretty sure impossible in its configuration.

I imagine that's down to the fact that no-one on the original production team sat down and drew exact diagrams of what the interior of the Gundam looked like, what went where, what all it's parts did etc. Any effort to do so is done so by people unconnected with the original designs, often well after the fact and there have been several conflicting efforts by different people over the decades. All with at least somewhat official sanction, and none of which were given any real precedence over the others to my knowledge.

That said, just because the core fighter is said to have thermonuclear reactors that double as engines doesn't make them impossible to my knowledge since thermonuclear propulsion has been a theoretical method of powering spacecraft since the mid 1950s. I also don't think the wording really disqualifies the idea those reactors simply power more traditional jet engines of some kind when used as the main propulsion; though that's definitely ambiguous at best.

I'd also consider the idea the real engine of the Gundam is in the frame of the body and not the core fighter kind of weird though, to be honest. The waist, legs, arms and head should have even less room to fit a main engine than the core block; which at least takes up the majority of the chest and connects directly to the main propulsion.

CMD598 posted:

We'll, it's basically down to whether someone builds it. I consider the canonical widespread adoption of mobile suits to be mostly a matter of circumstance and not everyone growing brainworms and deciding to just build giant robots. Just imagine a world where Zeon went with MIP instead of Zeonic...

I consider that to be ignoring the entire depiction of mobile suits versus basically any other platform from the beginning in 0079 and that they have always been depicted to be outright better in just about every circumstance than any other military platform so their adoption was necessary and not just circumstantial.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 2, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
After reading all this I think I may give Gundam Versus a shot again. I did enjoy the single player, actually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I consider that to be ignoring the entire depiction of mobile suits versus basically any other platform from the beginning in 0079 and that they have always been depicted to be outright better in just about every circumstance than any other military platform so their adoption was necessary and not just circumstantial.

Yeah, it's not like conventional military vehicles didn't exist in Gundam prior to the introduction of the mobile suit; they had access to all of the "standard" forms of conventional military vehicle we have today - tanks, fighters, bombers, submarines, etc. - and all of them were inferior to mobile suits. It wasn't a matter of "some crazy dude built a giant robot and it worked so everyone copied him", it was "by the physics of this universe our giant robots are more agile, adaptable, and powerful than standard platforms".

Presumably they could have taken a Type 61 tank chassis and stuck a fusion engine in there and gave it a beam rifle turret and luna titanium armor at any point, but instead they built GMs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I guess for a theoretical vehicle that could take the place of MS, you'd need something that can function as both a land tank and an agile spacecraft? So a tank with rocket thrusters on its rear end or something?

A version of gundam where instead of humanoid robots, the warfare vehicle of choice is the ball, but with treads on its underside

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

I guess for a theoretical vehicle that could take the place of MS, you'd need something that can function as both a land tank and an agile spacecraft? So a tank with rocket thrusters on its rear end or something?

A version of gundam where instead of humanoid robots, the warfare vehicle of choice is the ball, but with treads on its underside

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

More likely is that one vehicle wouldn't perfectly dominate both inside colonies and zero gravity, so you'd use multiple vehicles that might have some ability to operate in other environments but are mostly intended to specialize in a specific environment. Tanks don't fly and planes don't crawl for that reason. Balls probably wouldn't be the answer either honestly, much as they're often held up as the most reasonable unit in Gundam. Their main thruster pushes them up or maybe up and slightly forward with no real ability for thrust vectoring and the main gun operates on a completely different plane of orientation. Which seems kind of inefficient. Balls do have a ring of maneuvering thrusters on the underside, but (a) those aren't nearly as powerful as the main thruster so they'd struggle to overcome inertia to change direction and (b) the Ball still has no ability to thrust "down".

Also, while the main gun is called a recoilless rifle; recoilless actually means "less recoil" and not "no recoil" in reality. So any time it shot it's main weapon it'd throw itself completely out of whack given that it's main weapon is fitted at the outer limits of it's balance. None of those issues are easy to solve given the shape either, because the more thrust you add to the outer shell of a sphere the less surface area you're going to have for other things; like weapons, and if you mount them internally instead then you're taking up room the pilot needs for things like a cockpit or life support. So a Ball would have to be big. And the bigger it is the more armor and thrust it'd need.

A sphere isn't really that efficient a shape for space. More likely you'd have a central unit that might be a sphere, but that would probably include some pylons coming off the side in a vaguely X shape with engines fitted to them that allow it to quickly change direction without necessarily changing the unit's current trajectory. Which is why NASA showed some interest in the Starfury from Babylon 5 as a space vehicle. Project Rho also put some thought in to the subject of space fighters, and their contributors (who understand the subject way, way more than me) considered a tetrahedal shape a good one. You'll have to scroll way down to find that particular part of the article, but it's there. You can also find some information on it here

Or you'd just use a drone.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 2, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay, look, that's very clearly a tank from Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, not a Mobile weapon.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Airspace posted:

After reading all this I think I may give Gundam Versus a shot again. I did enjoy the single player, actually.

TBH the most fun I had with Gundam Versus was just playing couch versus 1-on-1 which is...

Well it's both good in that we had a lot of fun

And bad because that's not how the game is any other setting so you don't learn any of the 2-on-2 dynamics like cutting your partner's opponent off and having that situational awareness and such

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I think I saw this idea on TV in the 80s:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

tsob posted:

I imagine that's down to the fact that no-one on the original production team sat down and drew exact diagrams of what the interior of the Gundam looked like, what went where, what all it's parts did etc. Any effort to do so is done so by people unconnected with the original designs, often well after the fact and there have been several conflicting efforts by different people over the decades. All with at least somewhat official sanction, and none of which were given any real precedence over the others to my knowledge.

That said, just because the core fighter is said to have thermonuclear reactors that double as engines doesn't make them impossible to my knowledge since thermonuclear propulsion has been a theoretical method of powering spacecraft since the mid 1950s. I also don't think the wording really disqualifies the idea those reactors simply power more traditional jet engines of some kind when used as the main propulsion; though that's definitely ambiguous at best.

The methods of nuclear propulsion are limited to Orion style throw nukes out and ride the blast via giant pusher plate, using nuclear heat for an otherwise conventional rocket, or I guess powering an electric ion engine. None of these are as simple as described though one is supposed to be the Gundams primary propulsion.

quote:

I'd also consider the idea the real engine of the Gundam is in the frame of the body and not the core fighter kind of weird though, to be honest. The waist, legs, arms and head should have even less room to fit a main engine than the core block; which at least takes up the majority of the chest and connects directly to the main propulsion.

Aside from my misremembering components and dimensions, I think this is probably one of the reasons no one really talks about the core block system anymore and why it's never been seen outside of 0079, Thunderbolt, and Victory where it wasn't so much a plane as a flying torso.

quote:

The entire depiction features Zakus getting smoked by sabot rounds out of tanks and TOW knockoffs from infantry positions, ace ball pilots, and zeon practically getting booted from earth by tanks and towed arty guns. The success of MS is about half the Feds being terrible at war and half the zaku being functional combined with someone going "Hey we can just drop these directly on fed bases!"

After Loum(where they were too busy trying to turkey shoot Musais they got flanked) it was basically unavoidable, and the Gundam project probably had so much money dumped on it that Tem Ray was using it for insulation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CMD598 posted:

The methods of nuclear propulsion are using nuclear heat for an otherwise conventional rocket.

Given that the article mentions the thermonuclear engines connecting to supplemental generators using thermal energy via high-pressure gas I'm guessing it's this one. Or some variant thereof.

CMD598 posted:

The entire depiction features Zakus getting smoked by sabot rounds out of tanks and TOW knockoffs from infantry positions, ace ball pilots, and zeon practically getting booted from earth by tanks and towed arty guns.

I'm pretty sure all of that is in IGLOO, and that 0079, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91 and Victory built up the idea that mobile suits were the ultimate contemporary military platform and simply better than any previous platform in basically every way and every situation. That others have since slightly watered that down via works that are generally either unpopular or just ignored doesn't really change that it was the original intention and/or depiction.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

So you actually want to watch Heavy Object? :ohdear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you actually want to watch Heavy Object? :ohdear:

The premise of that show was really, really good.

The end product was really, really bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Heavy Object the show where a massive battle gets interrupted by a cute penguin that nobody wants to shoot at?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't Heavy Object the show where a massive battle gets interrupted by a cute penguin that nobody wants to shoot at?

I think so, yeah. The premise was that the big superweapons were so good that everyone gave up on all other warfare and surrendered whenever their Object got beaten. Except the heroes, as a couple infantry grunts, took an object down. And now they were expected to perform miracles in every battle from then on out.

As premises go, it kinda feels like the armies in any Gundam series would raise an eyebrow and say that wasn't how war works. (This includes G-Reco.). So yeah. Stopping the battle over a penguin scans.

Speaking of dumb things, on my poking at Gundam manga, I finally took a look at CDA. And then stopped pretty quickly, because it's nearly as long as Johnny Ridden, and the opening didn't exactly hook me or feel remotely in character. Anyone given it more of a look to say how it is overall?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While we're on the topic of manga can someone explain to me the legal issues around Gundam Sentinel? I heard it was some sort of rights thing similar to the Harmony Gold clusterfuck with macross and Robotech.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I think so, yeah. The premise was that the big superweapons were so good that everyone gave up on all other warfare and surrendered whenever their Object got beaten. Except the heroes, as a couple infantry grunts, took an object down. And now they were expected to perform miracles in every battle from then on out.

As premises go, it kinda feels like the armies in any Gundam series would raise an eyebrow and say that wasn't how war works. (This includes G-Reco.). So yeah. Stopping the battle over a penguin scans.

Speaking of dumb things, on my poking at Gundam manga, I finally took a look at CDA. And then stopped pretty quickly, because it's nearly as long as Johnny Ridden, and the opening didn't exactly hook me or feel remotely in character. Anyone given it more of a look to say how it is overall?

To expand on the premise a little bit, the infantry grunts managing to take out superweapons was also threatening the entire power balance of the world because the "if your superweapon loses you tap out since you can't win now" was basically the glue keeping everything from backsliding into total open warfare and proving that guys on foot can kill these things directly undermines that status quo, so their own government becomes increasingly desperate to see them fail to avoid having to deal with total war on all fronts. The idea that maybe the plucky protagonists continually beating the odds and taking down these titanic superweapons might actually be a seriously loving bad thing for world peace in general is a pretty interesting one, and it opens up exploring the debate over whether it's better to preserve a status quo where warfare is extremely common but also relatively limited in scope or not.

A shame the show was way more interested in extremely low-rent fanservice poo poo than exploring a pretty interesting geopolitical situation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, I finally watched the first episode of G-Reco, seeing as the 40th is tomorrow and...

Well. I can see some of why it's divisive already.

My Tomino's more limited than it should be, with Turn A being the only show of his I've watched all through, but it's interesting to compare like to like, putting this next to Turn A and the original.

Mainly because they're much better at being first episodes.

I talked about the original Gundam some in the context of SEED, but it's worth going back to because it's a really, really good first episode. First some scene-setting narration. Then you have an establishing shot of the Zakus to get you interested,(giant robots! Space colonies!) with some chatter to say what their deal is. Then we get Amuro in his underpants, we know our hero, and in the course of half an hour we get action, tragedy, some of the supporting cast, an antagonist, and an idea of where the show is going next. It leaves a lot for the future, but it's interesting on its own, and gives a clear reason to come back next week.

Turn A, by contrast, is more sedate, showing us Loran's time on Earth. There's relatively little action, but the story we get is interesting, and the last shot of Loran yelling at the moon is first rate. There's less of an obvious hook beyond curiosity at what the next wave of Moon visitors will do, but on its own, it tells enough of a story to work in a "we'll show you something interesting" way. And a lot of ground gets covered.

G-Reco doesn't really do either. It's very much a fragment of a story, with a lot of time spent on exposition in the classroom rather than Turn A's multi-year tour. At the same time, it doesn't end with anything interesting promised, unlike First Gundam. If I had to give an argument for watching episode 2 having only seen episode 1, with no idea of the crew or the rest of the franchise, I'd have relatively little. "Well, it looks nice", "Maybe things will clear up?" and "I've seen much worse" are all something, but it's less concrete than the original's "I want to see what this Char guy does. He seems cool." or "Did Amuro just kill his father? Are they going to do something with that?" (I get that "Why is Monday freaking out over the G mech?" is meant to be one of the big hooks, but mystery works better when you have enough pieces to start imagining patterns, rather than just knowing the girl with brain damage who used to pilot a mech has strong opinions on the mech.)

On the more positive side, Tomino Gundam's knack for nailing down the lead early continues. I'm not sure the exposition scenes were all to the good, focusing on details that the audience is unlikely to care about over anything that makes the setting clear, but it was pretty good at telling us about our hero. He's bright, he's friendly, and he's really bad at taking things seriously. When he took a worker mech out in the middle of a hostile attack, what we'd had of him made it feel like something he'd do, even beyond the setting's... odd grasp on military discipline. We also get a good amount of time just seeing how he interacts with his peers before the action starts, which you don't always see.

(It's interesting how both Mikazuki and Bellri can be effectively described most of the time with "Dude does not give a stone cold gently caress" while being so far apart.)

Of course, I knew more going in than people on the original viewing, so it was less confusing, and that confusion might be a hook for some people, but overall?

Not in love. If I didn't have mountains of shows I was trying to get through, I might go further, but for now, it's low in the pile.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Seiko is releasing gundam themed watches and I think the Zaku is just gorgeous

Casio did the same with Gshock but it was a bit of a fail since they did unicorn and banshee as well as the RX78 and char's zaku.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Ka0 posted:

Seiko is releasing gundam themed watches and I think the Zaku is just gorgeous

Casio did the same with Gshock but it was a bit of a fail since they did unicorn and banshee as well as the RX78 and char's zaku.

Something something something watch goes three times faster.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wish those watches were cheaper, I like the zaku one.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

G-Reco doesn't really do either. It's very much a fragment of a story, with a lot of time spent on exposition in the classroom rather than Turn A's multi-year tour. At the same time, it doesn't end with anything interesting promised, unlike First Gundam. If I had to give an argument for watching episode 2 having only seen episode 1, with no idea of the crew or the rest of the franchise, I'd have relatively little.

At the time, the main argument for watching episode 2 after having watched episode 1 was "it's airing immediately afterwards". Admittedly, I don't know if episode 2 really makes all that much difference to the people who didn't gel with G-Reco early, but there was some acknowledgement that episode 1 is more "the first 25 minutes of this show" than "a strong argument for watching 25 more episodes".

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure all of that is in IGLOO, and that 0079, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91 and Victory built up the idea that mobile suits were the ultimate contemporary military platform and simply better than any previous platform in basically every way and every situation. That others have since slightly watered that down via works that are generally either unpopular or just ignored doesn't really change that it was the original intention and/or depiction.

The last one was actually a reference to Odessa and tow knockoffs date back to MSG. I guess I could have thrown in that time a bunch of dudes on hover bikes trolled amuro, 08th team with shoulder fired rocket launchers, or that time in Zeta a mobile suit got taken out by a plane crashing into it, or that dude in Unicorn who carries rocket launchers for a sidearm and there's more, I don't even have to stay in uc to get more. And lol unpopular, igloo had three series, a manga, and various other spin offs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CMD598 posted:

The last one was actually a reference to Odessa and tow knockoffs date back to MSG. I guess I could have thrown in that time a bunch of dudes on hover bikes trolled amuro, 08th team with shoulder fired rocket launchers, or that time in Zeta a mobile suit got taken out by a plane crashing into it, or that dude in Unicorn who carries rocket launchers for a sidearm and there's more, I don't even have to stay in uc to get more. And lol unpopular, igloo had three series, a manga, and various other spin offs.

"Three series" is a pretty dramatic way to say "nine episodes". And every Gundam thing gets manga.

As for popular?

Well, since none of us have the setup for door-to-door checks in Japan, we're best off with existing polls, like the big NHK survey last year with over 1.5 million responses. And what the data has to say there is... illuminating.

On the one hand, the Zudah and Hildolfr did quite well for themselves, both making the top fifty most popular Mobile Suits.

On the hand preparing to knock Amuro across the room, the most popular of the three IGLOOs serieses ranked below AGE in the listings, with Gravity Front being the single least popular Gundam show ever. (To be fair, Build Divers wasn't included in the polling).

Unpopular seems a rather gentle description by those standards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm still amazed Build Divers is somehow getting another season. Someone must've managed to pitch a 50-episode allotment or something. Here's hoping they get a new Director and/or writer for it, cause hooo-boy was that a slog at the back half.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still amazed Build Divers is somehow getting another season. Someone must've managed to pitch a 50-episode allotment or something. Here's hoping they get a new Director and/or writer for it, cause hooo-boy was that a slog at the back half.

With Build Divers, it gets to the point where I don't wonder if there are pictures of some Bamco exec with farm animals, but how many.

Moving on a little, seeing so much Gundam is really making me like Iron Blooded Orphans more. I'm picking up more of how it plays with references to earlier stuff, which is interesting, but more than that?

Well, when it was airing, I'd seen Turn A and 0080 in full, read The Origin, and hit some of the highlight reels for G and Build Fighters. I'd mostly been exposed to Gundam at its best, so I kind of saw IBO as just doing what was expected of it. It was nice that it was able to hang out with them while being its own thing, but, hey. Gundam. That's normal, right?

Having seen a lot more Gundam, I can now say that no, that's not normal. Iron Blooded Orphans's weaknesses (like off-model shots and somewhat awkward pacing mid-season) are actually pretty common, while its dynamic fights, attention to detail, and willingness to (mostly) see its themes through are much rarer traits than I assumed.

Also, with more as reference, the first episode is definitely up there with the best. I mean, it introduces somewhere around 22 important characters, gives enough of the setting to feel comfortable with it, kicks off the main conflict, and has an amazing introduction for the lead Gundam. It's ambitious, but it pulls it off gracefully enough that it's easy to miss how much it does.

Like, G's got a great opening episode, but "all" it has to do is sell us on Domon, introduce his dynamic with Rain, give a broad outline of the whole Gundam Fight thing, and give us the first opponent of the week story. It does it all well, sure, with a lot of hints to later arcs it pays off later, but it's clearly a ramp up, not Orphans's full on charge.

Interesting stuff.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

You can make build divers try an incredible series by simply deleting Riku from it. The easiest fix imaginable. All of the adult characters that were brushed thin could be further developed. They could have the final episode be meeting Rommel in person and it turned out to be meijin Kawaguchi all along

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

god, why did they have to name the cute mascot rommel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

With Build Divers, it gets to the point where I don't wonder if there are pictures of some Bamco exec with farm animals, but how many.

Some of the animation is embarrassingly cheap too. One of the "big" scenes late in the show uses all of four reused frames. Blatantly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

god, why did they have to name the cute mascot rommel

I did always find it interesting that Rommel in ZZ was a fanatical teamkilling rear end in a top hat.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Divers has a thing over Try in that they do not reuse the water-drop JigenHaoh-- poo poo every drat episode to pad out those minutes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ka0 posted:

You can make build divers try an incredible series by simply deleting Riku from it. The easiest fix imaginable. All of the adult characters that were brushed thin could be further developed. They could have the final episode be meeting Rommel in person and it turned out to be meijin Kawaguchi all along

It still blows my mind that they didn't have a single character revealed to be humorously different from their online avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/wantstobeapanda/status/1114882533311664129?s=19