Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's right, I was misremembering

Either way, the overall point stands. The League isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all of Pokemon battling competitions, given not even Tobias and his two Legendaries has fought a champion. The Orange League is still comparable, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Either way, the overall point stands. The League isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all of Pokemon battling competitions, given not even Tobias and his two Legendaries has fought a champion. The Orange League is still comparable, I think.

Pity they didn't end it there.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Just found these unredeemed Shiny Poipole and (regular) Zeraora cards while cleaning. The cards supposedly expired in December and January, but it couldn't hurt to try if you have a copy of Ultra S/M that hasn't redeemed these gifts yet right?

Shiny Poipole
A878KJGENJFS5S8P

Zeraora
A8922HJASJPRT56X
A8922LCLD892CJX2
A8922KJXTS5SC75S

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

The writers clearly disagree with you since they see Ash losing every League he gets as the only way to keep him traveling.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ash is a role model for the modern youth, who teaches that you can't just win at life even if you try your hardest, might as well just enjoy the journey.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Ash is a role model for the modern youth, who teaches that you can't just win at life even if you try your hardest, might as well just enjoy the journey.

This but somewhat less ironically. It would have felt weird if Ash had come in first in a 256-person tournament as a rookie, and the way some people see Ash as a "failure" for not coming in first in 256-person tournaments arguably reflects some messed-up attitudes.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ash is a role model for humans, who teaches us that even when you win, it doesn’t count.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saoshyant posted:

And that when you lose your frog to some guardian deity who can't do poo poo for itself apparently, you should simply go back into education.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not convinced Ash had ever been to school prior to Sun and Moon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm mostly okay with Ash not winning yet. He came top 16 in Kanto (which, considering how green and quite frankly bad he was at the time is a huge accomplishment, especially considering how much the writers poo poo on him during that arc), then came in top 8, top 8, top 4, top 8, and top 2 in the preceding league tournies. That's pretty drat impressive, honestly. And he won the Orange League and the Battle Frontier.

If we really want to get picky, then...

...there's all these other competitions he's either won or done really well in, too. :v:

I'm not really sure what my point is but hey Ash is a way better trainer than he usually gets credit for.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And that when you lose your frog to some guardian deity who can't do poo poo for itself apparently, you should simply go back into education.

He “lost” his frog (read, willingly allowed his friend to do something important) because he had the ability to detect the roots spread across Kalos by Team Flare’s monstrosity, which were still an ecological threat to people, not because Zygarde is helpless.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The writers clearly disagree with you since they see Ash losing every League he gets as the only way to keep him traveling.

I am fully aware of that, but looking at them all objectively, they are still comparable in an in-universe context, and it’s still clear that the fandom deliberately undersells them to make it appear as if he has achieved less than he has. This happens with tons of poo poo, like with the whole meme that Ash never evolves his Pokémon when the majority of Pokémon he’s caught have evolved at least once.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 7, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nodosaur posted:

The "full league's" contestants have included a guy using a Bellsprout and a girl with a Quilava. Ash himself entered multiple tournaments with unevolved Pokemon.

The difference isn't as stark as you're making it out to be.

To be fair that Bellsprout was awesome and dunked on Pikachu.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The "Ash is loser" meme is just one of those things that the anime is best known for, just like the first English opening theme, the Team Rocket trio's general antics, Pokémon saying their names as their main form of communication and calling onigiri "donuts". No matter how far away the anime manages to get away from them, someone's going to remember the anime for these things.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Squats posted:

Just found these unredeemed Shiny Poipole and (regular) Zeraora cards while cleaning. The cards supposedly expired in December and January, but it couldn't hurt to try if you have a copy of Ultra S/M that hasn't redeemed these gifts yet right?

Shiny Poipole
A878KJGENJFS5S8P

Zeraora
A8922HJASJPRT56X
A8922LCLD892CJX2
A8922KJXTS5SC75S

Yeah it says these have expired. Thanks though!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

The "Ash is loser" meme is just one of those things that the anime is best known for, just like the first English opening theme, the Team Rocket trio's general antics, Pokémon saying their names as their main form of communication and calling onigiri "donuts". No matter how far away the anime manages to get away from them, someone's going to remember the anime for these things.

It's mainly Ash and co. is boring. I have the same problem with the Pokemon anime that I have with the Simpsons, South Park , etc. A series that seems to go on indefinitely will eventually lose me because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be invested in. The characters are unchanging, there's nothing compelling here and we all know how the arc is going to end. I guess someone can say but the journey! Yeah well the journey is predicable at this point and really can't bring myself care about the characters because they'll be shelved semi-permanently within a year. That's why I don't like it. Also I listened to english dub by accident and my God it was horrendous. They ain't even trying now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is up with the lack of effort in the Sinnoh Pokedex text. I noticed it in Go and now as I catch Sinnoh Pokémon in OR I contrast the gen4 entries with gen3 and previous and they're just lacking. Like "this Pokemon has wings. It flies.". Instead of something cute and/or weird.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vandar posted:

I'm mostly okay with Ash not winning yet. He came top 16 in Kanto (which, considering how green and quite frankly bad he was at the time is a huge accomplishment, especially considering how much the writers poo poo on him during that arc), then came in top 8, top 8, top 4, top 8, and top 2 in the preceding league tournies. That's pretty drat impressive, honestly. And he won the Orange League and the Battle Frontier.

If we really want to get picky, then...

...there's all these other competitions he's either won or done really well in, too. :v:

I'm not really sure what my point is but hey Ash is a way better trainer than he usually gets credit for.

What I'm getting from this list is that Ash may not be the best at battling, but he absolutely fucks poo poo up if there's a gimmick. Good to see his king Tauros seems to have shown up to continue to own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nasgate posted:

What I'm getting from this list is that Ash may not be the best at battling, but he absolutely fucks poo poo up if there's a gimmick. Good to see his king Tauros seems to have shown up to continue to own.

Do we even know it's the same Tauros every time?

Ash releasing his Pokemon just means he's got buddies in every drat region he goes through. Oddly enough a lot like N.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ash has only released six Pokémon, and two of them (Goodra and Greninja) are technically still his anyway if he should choose to call on them/once Greninja finishes doing the thing.

So it’s really only four. And I imagine we’ll see Poipole again by the end of Alola to give him a roster of six for the league.

... unless Lusamine loans him the Ride Garchomp.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 7, 2019

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like catch pokemon

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

Didn’t the anime state that the League is just a preliminary selection for starting the Elite Four challenge? I kind of remember that from somewhere.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Didn’t the anime state that the League is just a preliminary selection for starting the Elite Four challenge? I kind of remember that from somewhere.

Yes. That was established in Sinnoh. Winning the Pokemon League is basically what gets you to the majors, so to speak.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

well yeah, most of us stopped watching it like 20 years ago

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nodosaur posted:

Yes. That was established in Sinnoh. Winning the Pokemon League is basically what gets you to the majors, so to speak.

How does that place the league in game context?
Like is the league (tournament) a thing the games skip over and we straight go from 8badges/trails to trying to become the regional champion?

So in anime continuity it would be pokemon league champ > challenge elite 4 > challenge champ ? With you being able to become elite 4 down the road if you keep up long enough and an old one retires or something?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't there some talk that Heracross was originally going to be Pinsir's evolution? The same game introduced Scizor(who is Pinsir's counterpart), their heights are the same, they're in the same game version, ect.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nope, this was Pinsir's evo:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
...And that's obviously an early version of Heracross.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

Nope, this was Pinsir's evo:

So Mega Pinsir’s legless fury goes way back before Mega Evolution was a twinkle in Gamefreak’s eyes?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do we even know it's the same Tauros every time?

Ash releasing his Pokemon just means he's got buddies in every drat region he goes through. Oddly enough a lot like N.

"It has never been revealed whether Ash uses the same Tauros whenever one of them is transferred to him or if Professor Oak simply sends him a random one each time."

My personal head Canon is that Oak just grabs whichever one is leading the herd at the time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ash's Tauros is like a school of Wishiwashi. If you look at the animation frame by frame you can see that the Tauros he's using in any particular battle is actually all his Tauros interlocking with each other.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Ash's Tauros is like a school of Wishiwashi. If you look at the animation frame by frame you can see that the Tauros he's using in any particular battle is actually all his Tauros interlocking with each other.

They've yet to form a giant angry cow. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cT6ULpScZA

Cross-posting from the Polygon thread because I think this thread can appreciate having their own Terry at one point or another.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's really magical

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zedd posted:

How does that place the league in game context?
Like is the league (tournament) a thing the games skip over and we straight go from 8badges/trails to trying to become the regional champion?

So in anime continuity it would be pokemon league champ > challenge elite 4 > challenge champ ? With you being able to become elite 4 down the road if you keep up long enough and an old one retires or something?

There’s no way to tell because we’ve never seen what happens after you win the league. Only a few of Ash’s actual league rivals have gone on to win the championship, and we never saw Tyson or Tobias make the attempt while Alain seems content to go back to his old job without pushing further.

Considering though that we keep seeing the Elite Four challenging the champion (Aaron and Flint both take Cynthia on, for example), I would guess there’s a sort of pro league consisting of people who have the right to challenge Elite Four members, and then, if you win a position in said Elite Four, you then have the right to challenge the Champion. But this is just an inference based on what we’ve seen.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Cross-posting from the Polygon thread because I think this thread can appreciate having their own Terry at one point or another.

this is fantastic

bdg is a treasure

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What should I do with Type:Null ? I have a revolving door for a sixth slot and it seems interesting enough to keep around while I do post-game stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nasgate posted:

What should I do with Type:Null ? I have a revolving door for a sixth slot and it seems interesting enough to keep around while I do post-game stuff.

If it evolves you get a mini-Arceus that can change into any type you like. If you keep it as it, you get a big wall that can buff itself while taking hits -- it can also equip the Eviolite.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Oh my goodness, that was amazing. I ended up watching the whole thing, laughing all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

That was outstanding and wonderful, but how does one manage to accomplish something like this while still saying Pokeymon

Are there Pokeymon say-ers in this very thread??