Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He's God Dan "The Gamemaster" Kuroto, he can name it whatever he drat well pleases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Is Lupinranger/Patranger worth watching?

No. It pretty much commits the worst sin in blatantly insulting the audience's intelligence, it wastes all the potential it has, and it has great characters only to waste them in favour of a team where 3/4 are awful.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The Lupinrangers definitely get preferential treatment but the Patrangers are much better characters and are just generally better despite everything being against them. And the Lupins do develop into good people too IMO. I really liked Kairi by the end.

Too bad the series decides to throw all that development off the window at the last moment because it'd mean changing the status quo which must be kept at all costs - even when the series is over.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's God Dan "The Gamemaster" Kuroto, he can name it whatever he drat well pleases.

Refer to him by his proper name, God and Game Master, Neo Dan "Dangerous Zombie" Kuroto-King Deus aka Kamen Rider Genm aka Another OOO.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Burkion posted:

Ultramen are naturally 40 meters tall, with UltraSeven being the only one of the main Showa cast who has actual size changing powers. Ultraman WAS shrunk when he fought the Dada, but they did that to him specifically.

UltraSeven has shrunken himself at least twice to a size smaller than human, once to load himself as ammo for a cannon (and get shot out), and another time down to microscopic size so he could fight a kaiju that had invaded a girl's body; he even had the gall to use his emerium beam willy nilly at that size, I shudder to think of what would have happened had he missed..

Ultraman Tiga was also shrunk down by a ray fired by Alien Raybeak in episode 13, but he just grew back to normal size.

quote:

Generally it's held that Ultramen CAN go to human size if they want, but their natural size is 40-ish meters.

Think it was around Episode 23 of Ultraman Gaia that Gaia and Agul fight a grudge match in an abandoned factory while mostly at human size.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Too bad the series decides to throw all that development off the window at the last moment because it'd mean changing the status quo which must be kept at all costs - even when the series is over.
Agreed on that, that last scene was thoroughly unnecessary and it wastes how good (imo) the last couple episodes were otherwise.

That scene, the scene where the Lupins unmask, and Noel's "secret" are definitely top three moments where LvP could have been great but instead just shat the bed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zi-O 29 is out

Huh, a female Another Rider. That's neat. Out of curiosity, is the woman playing Amane here the same actress who played her as a child in Blade? Nice to see Diend again at any rate.

Nice that they acknowledged the end of Blade but how exactly was Kenzaki still able to transform while Another Blade was still around?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 6, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Some Numbers posted:

It has great characters and its a great collection of watching the characters play off each other. In terms of a overarching plot, its pretty bullshit. Nothing really matters and there's 0 closure. Its just cops and the thieves that clown on them, then, now, forever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Zi-O 29 is out

Huh, a female Another Rider. That's neat. Out of curiosity, is the woman playing Amane here the same actress who played her as a child in Blade? Nice to see Diend again at any rate.

Nice that they acknowledged the end of Blade but how exactly was Kenzaki still able to transform while Another Blade was still around?

Probably
because of the date? Another blade had a current date, not a past date. Why however I don't know.

Also loved DiEnd. He definitely proved why he was considered so dangerous in Decade by Narutaki.

Also digging the extra background.
[Spoiler]What is the deal with the Wozs[/'s spoiler
Zio is definitely on a roll now!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Possibly I just thought that it had been established that when an Another Rider appears the original one loses their powers (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Also, at the moment I'm betting that the Big Bad of the series is going to turn out to be either White Woz as he literally tells Geiz that he'll destroy the world if his ambition doesn't come to pass or Swartz (who started Sougo down his current path to begin with).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 6, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind, we've seen original riders fight Another Riders before. They don't lose their powers immediately, it takes a bit for them to fade.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

[Rider Time Ryuki spoiler] Apparently Raia and Gai gently caress

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This episode was so goddamn good. As to why Kenzaki is still able to transform I assume it's

Darth TNT posted:

Probably
because of the date? Another blade had a current date, not a past date. Why however I don't know.

And the reason why I assume is

White Woz says he wants to destroy the world. Using Amane to become Another Blade brought Hajime out of hiding, and Hajime wanting to protect Amane got him to transform, which alerted Kenzaki to his presence, drawing Kenzaki to him. Now they have to fight, and as they're both Jokers, no matter which one wins, the Battle Fight ends with a Joker victory and the world gets destroyed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So reddit is melting down about how Over-Time is intentionally translating Zi-O slowly cause of pure hate for the show.
Any more nuanced opinions/facts for it :v: ?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Rider team has actual jobs somewhere, maybe even translation jobs. It still took abnormally long when standard is Wednesday or Thursday release.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jeeg mentioned being the only one into the show at some point, but also who cares lmao, people have lives and whether it's personal conflicts or lack of enthusiasm, getting huffy over how fast your free stuff comes is dumb.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Like thats ever stopped goons before :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why import reddit drama?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Some Numbers posted:

Watch it until you stop having fun. It has a strong start, good music, and I enjoyed the fights when they were puzzles for the lupins to figure out how to beat. The characters range from really good, keichiro is among the best reds, to just kinda there. The only really bad one is the seventh, and a couple characters get robbed.

When you stop having fun, the mid season big bad and the last few eps are fun, but don’t expect shinkenger story or gokaiger antics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Looks off into the middle distance*

Can you see me, Shirakura? I finally know about Trinity. I hope you're proud of me, wherever you are.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The people working on Zi-O don't really hate Zi-O (except the TLC). Jeeg being an adult with things to do doesn't help much tho

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I can hate Zi-O. I will hate Zi-O.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's been a mess of good stuff dropped lately so why people are getting funky about this, I dunno.

I finally got around to watching the Cross-z movie and it was pretty good. It does a good brother vs brother theme that also reinforces what a shitbag Evolt is. Banjo doing his level best to shake his new girlfriend and flailing is my new life fuel. Sento's loving dark in the this episode. He just broods in the basement and makes tools of mass murder to sell to kids.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

coconono posted:

There's been a mess of good stuff dropped lately so why people are getting funky about this, I dunno.

I finally got around to watching the Cross-z movie and it was pretty good. It does a good brother vs brother theme that also reinforces what a shitbag Evolt is. Banjo doing his level best to shake his new girlfriend and flailing is my new life fuel. Sento's loving dark in the this episode. He just broods in the basement and makes tools of mass murder to sell to kids.

They do establish Sento as being in a really dark place in these specials since he’s not really sure what to do in this new reality. Given that the new forms his teammates have surpass anything he’s got so far, I’m thinking that they’re setting up for a point when he eventually gets his groove back and busts out one last upgrade in some future movie before fully retiring the belt and moving on as a person.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Loved the Cross-Z movie, but the whole series sorta being null and void is valid with Evolt being back and sill evil, just not genocidal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why import reddit drama?

Wasn't trying too, just looking for a levelheaded take on fake drama.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Zi-O 29: Was that the actual café set from Blade? Unlikely since it's a 2004 show, but I want to believe that they went for that deep of a cut.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I watched Zi-O 29 and it's so cool to see Diend back and kicking rear end!!! :aaa:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

A really dumb question and I'm legit not trying to trigger a negative response... but.

I recognize that most? tokusatsu shows kind of revel in their cheesiness and "airy" character choreography/special effects, but is there a single tokusatsu show that's less cheesy than the rest? Or should I just accept the genre pretty much has nothing to watch that doesn't have these aspects?

I honestly liked some of the aspects of the story in Amazon Riders, but every battle scene just completely shatters my suspension of disbelief and I just can't continue. Again, I don't fault anyone for not having a problem with this but I just... can't.

I know it's not really tokusatsu but comedy and not part of Toei's line-up but Akibaranger managed to entertain me quite a few episodes, too.

I know I might as well be asking for for a tokusatsu show without tokusatsu, basically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dessel posted:

A really dumb question and I'm legit not trying to trigger a negative response... but.

I recognize that most? tokusatsu shows kind of revel in their cheesiness and "airy" character choreography/special effects, but is there a single tokusatsu show that's less cheesy than the rest? Or should I just accept the genre pretty much has nothing to watch that doesn't have these aspects?

I honestly liked some of the aspects of the story in Amazon Riders, but every battle scene just completely shatters my suspension of disbelief and I just can't continue. Again, I don't fault anyone for not having a problem with this but I just... can't.

I know it's not really tokusatsu but comedy and not part of Toei's line-up but Akibaranger managed to entertain me quite a few episodes, too.

I know I might as well be asking for for a tokusatsu show without tokusatsu, basically.

Have you ever watched Kamen Rider Kuuga?

How adverse to older shows are you? Like, with effects on par (or superior to) OG Star Trek

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burkion posted:

Have you ever watched Kamen Rider Kuuga?

How adverse to older shows are you? Like, with effects on par (or superior to) OG Star Trek

Kuuga is much cheesier than Amazons. Honestly, if he can't watch Amazons because of the cheesiness surrounding the combat scenes, I think he can't watch Toku at all.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Dessel posted:

Not 100% sure if by cheesey you mean over the top and hard to believe that colored spandex let's someone jump straight up and fall/ at a 60 degree angle into a monster that lacks shoulders. AKA B movie special effects.
If that's the case and Amazon's dismemberment didn't cut it for you. I'd suggest either fast forwarding through fights or look into Toku movies like Jossy's, or Hurricane Polymer I remember having realistic fights. Idk if you've tried the Garo series yet. That might be more your speed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

Kuuga is much cheesier than Amazons. Honestly, if he can't watch Amazons because of the cheesiness surrounding the combat scenes, I think he can't watch Toku at all.

I disagree entirely.

Amazon is a lot more fun than Kuuga is. It has a lot more style and energy and is just way more entertaining.

Kuuga's fight scenes are, with few exceptions, incredibly down to earth and largely realistic. The violence is more impactful and the fist fighting isn't fancy at all.

The way they're shot is also very much against the grain for normal Toku

All of this owing to the ultimate message of Kuuga, in that violence is always awful, even if it must be necessary.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, Amazons battle scenes were the most negative thing for sure. Maybe I'll check Garo or try to bear with Amazons. I actually was looking for (ugh please don't kill me) grim dark take of the genre so Amazons was kinda neat in every other respect. Not that I couldn't have dealt with a more cheerful show, mind you.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 7, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
looking for grim dark? my dude have you heard of a little film known as Mechanical Violator Hakaider

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dessel posted:

Yeah, Amazons battle scenes were the most negative thing for sure. Maybe I'll check Garo or try to bare with Amazons. I actually was looking for (ugh please don't kill me) grim dark take of the genre so Amazons was kinda neat in every other respect. Not that I couldn't have dealt with a more cheerful show, mind you.

Again, Kuuga might be the show for you. The effects are a lot more dated in some respects, but the violence can be even more brutal than Amazon, if not less frequent.

Also depending on if you can stomach older shows or not, while it's not a perfect show, UltraSeven X might be up your alley.

Ultraman Nexus is also another option, though that has a lot more giant monster stuff, it's all relatively toned down

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burkion posted:

I disagree entirely.

Amazon is a lot more fun than Kuuga is. It has a lot more style and energy and is just way more entertaining.

Kuuga's fight scenes are, with few exceptions, incredibly down to earth and largely realistic. The violence is more impactful and the fist fighting isn't fancy at all.

The way they're shot is also very much against the grain for normal Toku

All of this owing to the ultimate message of Kuuga, in that violence is always awful, even if it must be necessary.

I watched Kuuga recently, and while I agree that tonally it's a lot different from modern Rider, it's still really cheesy. The fights aren't as ridiculous as, say, Zi-O, but they're definitely not super grounded, and still really obviously hitting each other with toys most of the time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it depends on what you consider cheesy.

That's a super broad term that could mean a lot of things.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think Garo is going to help you if your problem is "airy." There's a lot of flying CG Garo. The weapons and armor do look nicer, I guess.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Without that one science line that explains why kuuga and the Grongi can turn tiny charms into weapons. and that's like 3/4th through the show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the Garo stuff is in line with CW's DC Comics shows in terms of cheese and airy. Its grittier and focuses more on the drama than the plot formula. I'd also consider it in the same vein as Amazons.

Some of the early 90s movies(like Hakaider) were unsung cinematic masterpieces. They went heavily for style over substance. They could make the cheesy 80s action pan between the villain and the hero look loving amazing. There's good stuff out there once you dig past the really toy-heavy lines.

But even the seemingly vapid ones can make something compelling. The best of those turn the silly and the cheese into assets. Both Ex-Aid and Build excelled at this. By giving the goofy stuff context, it makes a madman's sense, building a world that only exists in the dreamlike confines of the show.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Does anyone have that tweet about how Build is paced on hand? I need to show it to a friend and I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rather than searching for Toku That Isn't Like Toku, I recommend instead exposing yourself to as much Toku as possible until your brain rewires and you start to crave the cheese instead of being repelled by it. Toku is the pure concentrated joy of childhood and your life is improved by its presence.

Once you've spent an entire year watching a show and you feel unimaginable hype when the characters do The Exact Same Thing They Do EVERY EPISODE But Without Helmets, you'll know you're ready.