Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

Did you fix his weird censorship or did he edit the post because it spells abuse as ab*** twice, poo poo as s***, and whore as w****

I believe it's because reddit forums have bots which auto delete or auto blank posts containing those words as other reddit forums are better suited for such topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Did you fix his weird censorship or did he edit the post because it spells abuse as ab*** twice, poo poo as s***, and whore as w****

Nah. I found his post in r/relationships and it was typed out without asterisks. Looks like he double-dipped and posted in there and r/relationship_advice, and in those he self-censored.

I have no idea if not censoring those words are why some of his posts are removed. I think you can't use terms like 'bitch' and 'whore' in those subs.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If you skipped this one because of its length like I did initially, go back and read it right the gently caress now. This is the reason this thread exists, I’ve never wished so much ill will on someone as I have this guy. Holy gently caress.

Yeah that guy needs to die of his terminal illness quicker.

gently caress Your Website posted:

If this is real your friend is pathetically desperate for attention and he’ll need to step it up several levels, because as established people in the service industry give zero fucks about you and if they extend the barest courtesy of conversation it’s going above and beyond the call of duty. When I was a cashier nothing short of purchasing duct tape, chloroform, quicklime, tarpaulins, and rope in one purchase would elicit more than the barest ‘thanks for shopping with us, have a good evening’, and I can assure you people will buy lube and massive vegetables to cram up themselves with zero shame several times a night, so your friend has no clue.

Cashiers don’t ask because they don’t want to get drawn into a stupid conversation with either an unfunny prankster or a creepy weirdo, they just want to get through their shift, so tell your ‘friend’ to give it up or get way more imaginative.

Yeah he is real. He is an idiot, but he is real. I don’t encourage any of his behavior.

Bronze Fonz posted:

He posted an update today:

I [28M] am going to get in touch with my ex [27F]

That terminal illness is taking way too loving long.

I would volunteer to add “baseball bat” to his terminal diagnosis if it was legal.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for not wanting to use the bathroom at the same time as a grown man?

quote:

So I'm a teenage girl. And my parents had a family friend over, he's around his mid 30s.

I was taking a shower when my mom opened the bathroom door asking if it's be okay for him to use the bathroom. I got really weirded out because I'm her teenage daughter, naked in the shower. And some grown man will come in, use the bathroom while I'm standing in the shower with nothing but a curtain between us??? Um, no.

I told her this and she got all defensive about how he wouldn't do anything, that he's a family friend. Yeah sure he's a family friend but he's also a grown adult. I'd feel so uncomfortable if he came in while I was showering. So I told her to just use the other bathroom. She got upset with me saying that there was nothing wrong with him using this one and that the other bathroom was there's (it was in my parents bedroom)

I refused to let him in while I was still using it so she closed the door. (I have no way of locking it since the lock is broken.)

I figure that's done with but then I hear the door click open again and I thought it was my mom so I told her to just go away that I didn't want him coming in here.

It was him.

I screamed and shouted at him to get out, then my mom came running in and screaming at me for it. I got mad at her for yelling and letting him in here when I told her not to.

They left and I finished showering. I came out in my clothes, and my mom told me he left the house after my outrage. She kept telling me I was rude and that I should have just let him use the bathroom, nothing would have happened. I told her she was wrong and she yelled at me again saying I was being an rear end in a top hat.

So, AITA???

EDIT: I gave it a lot of thought and I will go to the counselor at my school tomorrow. I just feel really humiliated because I don't know why any of it happened or what would have happened. Thank you to everyone being supportive and helping me figure out what to do

EDIT #2: So I should clarify for those who are worried about me, I am okay. After our fight I talked with my mom about the situation and we both ended up crying.Our family friend is someone who's helped us a lot in the past. So my parents feel very indebted to him. Apparently he insisted 'nothing would happen' and to just let him go in quickly. I think he used my mom's trust and guilt against her. We've both been talking and just trying to figure everything out together.

I wonder how much money they are in the hole to him for her mother to try and sell her off to him.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Jesus that's weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ad090 posted:

I wonder how much money they are in the hole to him for her mother to try and sell her off to him.

this is sexual grooming 100%

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sounds appropriately disruptive. I don't get what the startup was providing even if everything worked as planned. A divider?

Well, they crashed and burned and then scammed everyone in the most libertarian way possible, so they probably accepted cryptocurrency

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dienes posted:

This is my I make my capstone/thesis students upload a copy of their manuscript and data each week for class. You'd be shocked how many asses that's saved in the last year.

10 pages back and not even the OP, but why not use github? I think they even have private repos for free now, if being public before publish date is an issue.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

goatsestretchgoals posted:

10 pages back and not even the OP, but why not use github? I think they even have private repos for free now, if being public before publish date is an issue.

1) Because the university requires us to use Canvas and its easier to have them use one website rather than two.
2) Because if something goes wrong the IT dept will help a student with Canvas but not github.

Appreciate the suggestion, though!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not telling my brother that his girlfriend had an abortion?

I’ll just get right into it. My 19 year old brother got his 18 year old girlfriend pregnant and she decided to get an abortion. I am really close with both of them, and I can say with 100% confidence that they are people who are not fit to raise a child. I also think it was a good decision on her part because she has unstable mental illnesses with urges to harm herself and hormonal disorders that exacerbate her emotional state. I don’t think that she could safely go through a pregnancy. She does have a therapist and a social worker as well as regular medical providers she sought consultations with before making the decision because she has no family to support her. She and my brother both live with my parents because they work minimum wage jobs and have no education beyond high school.

When she suspected that she was pregnant, I was the first and only person she told (besides her therapist and social worker of course) and by the time she told me she had already made up her mind. She asked me if I would take her to the appointments and be there to support her through the process as a friend. She also asked that I not tell my brother because she knows that he would probably react poorly and might become irrational. I agreed with that. He is a hothead who struggles with alcohol and pills. He’s also been arrested for assaulting a neighbor over a much lesser issue. So I agreed to not tell him and just supported her through it. My brother never even knew she was pregnant. I of course was put in a really difficult position that I didn’t want to be in, but I did what I felt was right in my heart and decided to be there for her.

With that being said, I have extreme guilt over the fact that my brother had no say in this. The past few weeks I’ve been questioning myself and the morality of the situation. I’m not questioning the morals of abortion and I don’t want this to be a debate, but I am questioning the morality of not telling my brother. I almost feel like it’s his right to know. Of course I’m not going to go back on my promise to stay quiet and tell him. If he found out he would justifiably be very upset and blow this situation up to the point I could him ending up in jail again. I also know that this girl needed my support, asked me not to tell him and that it was probably for the best. But why do I feel so terrible about keeping it from him? Was I morally in the wrong by agreeing to take her to the counseling sessions, consultation and doctors appointment? AITA for not telling my brother what happened?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting basically the same tattoo as Air Force para-rescue usually get?

So backstory: I recently overcame some struggles that had to do with some bad choices I made. One of the things that inspired me to get better was a short YouTube video of a group called Air Force para rescue (or PJs). They just seemed so cool and if inspired me to get my act cleaned up.

As a way to honor these guys proxy improving my life I decided to get the same tattoo that they get when they graduate basic training. It's basically two green feet. I Think it looks so aweome.

I went to the gym just now and this guy asked me where I served. I said I wasn't sure what he was talking about. He said my tattoo, I explained to him what I said above and he basically looked at me like I was a piece of poo poo and told me what I did was inexcusable. I asked why he was an authority and he said he was an army guy and would never dream about "stealing" another units tattoo. I was really intimidated by him so I just sort of walked away.

Am I an rear end in a top hat or was he just massive gatekeeping?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol you guys sure have some pretty spicy hot takes about a 16 year old girl going on tinder and lol it being really NBD.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Yeah, that was some serious creepiness.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting basically the same tattoo as Air Force para-rescue usually get?

So backstory: I recently overcame some struggles that had to do with some bad choices I made. One of the things that inspired me to get better was a short YouTube video of a group called Air Force para rescue (or PJs). They just seemed so cool and if inspired me to get my act cleaned up.

As a way to honor these guys proxy improving my life I decided to get the same tattoo that they get when they graduate basic training. It's basically two green feet. I Think it looks so aweome.

I went to the gym just now and this guy asked me where I served. I said I wasn't sure what he was talking about. He said my tattoo, I explained to him what I said above and he basically looked at me like I was a piece of poo poo and told me what I did was inexcusable. I asked why he was an authority and he said he was an army guy and would never dream about "stealing" another units tattoo. I was really intimidated by him so I just sort of walked away.

this is what happens when you don't do your homework and/or go to an artist who dgaf about tattoo history

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

MarcusSA posted:

Lol you guys sure have some pretty spicy hot takes about a 16 year old girl going on tinder and lol it being really NBD.

It is bad, men are bad, and it is also very bad when I see "I don't know why this stupid profile says I'm 25 lol I'm 21" YOUNG LADY YOU KNOW WHY

But I also remember what it's like to be a 16-year-old little poo poo and I'm guessing attention from literally thousands of men is more appealing than dad making your life suck

Something something the more you clench your fist the more something something through your grasp

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

fwiw i do think it's alarming and wrong for a 16 year old to be on tinder, but grounding her for months, taking her phone, and not letting her hang out with friends or go to school sports games is an overreaction that pushes away from her parents, makes her more secretive, and makes her focus all her thinking on "I need to hide better" rather than "what I did was hosed up"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

Dude she's nearly 17 it's basically legal if she's in e.g. Botswana

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taking her phone at the very least is the right thing to do. Yeah some of the other stuff is a bit much but I can see why he would react like that.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
an all-time classic

https://local.theonion.com/man-knows-unsettling-amount-about-nationwide-age-of-con-1819565878

(they've reused the premise too many times since tbh)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm guessing attention from literally thousands of pedophiles

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

Taking her phone at the very least is the right thing to do. Yeah some of the other stuff is a bit much but I can see why he would react like that.

great way to find out that you raised a slut with daddy issues imho

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ad090 posted:

Holy poo poo ! That's hosed up. Girl needs to start telling people, like, now. Dad's cell. Police non-emergency. Whatever she can. In the comments she's freaked out and says she'll start with a school counselor tomorrow.

The minimal outcome is dad fixes the bathroom lock and changes her bedroom lock, if only for peace of mind. Oh, and family friend has a long and awkward talk with the police. <o, has some explaining to do too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ad090 posted:

:stonk:

A lot of people dancing around the obvious sexual grooming in the comments, and I hope the authorities aren't also like "Oh how weird. Good for you for standing up for yourself. He probably ran off because he was confused by the whole situation. Tell someone if it happens again."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ad090 posted:

Yiiiiiiiiiiikes

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Plot twist: he couldn't use the master bedroom bathroom because her aunt, uncle, and cousins took a bunch of huge shits and threw menstrual pads they never flushed in that toilet a few weeks ago

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
There was also apparently a third bathroom in the house, that presumably wasn't connected to the master bedroom, and thus no one's privacy/boundaries would have been breached. So yeah, loving yikes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not telling my brother that his girlfriend had an abortion?

By the time I got to 'brother is a hothead and has a problem with alcohol and pills', I got nervous, and scrolled back to the title, hoping I misread it.

Thankfully I had missed 'not'.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Not exactly an r/relationships thing, but this was posted to "Humans of New York" and got everyone angry

HONY posted:

“It wasn’t a secret. The first day we met I told her I was bisexual, and that I’d been with men and women my entire life. At the time she shrugged it off. And it wasn’t an issue for the first ten years of our marriage. The relationship was perfectly loving and stable. But then I don’t know—something happened. It wasn’t a particular man. I never cheated on her. It was something abstract. I just missed relationships with men. So I told her. I was honest. But when I uttered that thing it was like a bomb went off. She turned away her face like she’d been slapped very hard. It caused her so much pain. She lost a lot of weight. We cried and cried and cried about it. For three years we cried. We’d meet at Starbucks every day and cry in front of everyone. We didn’t live together after that. And we were never sexual again. But we were still intimate. We still took a lot of naps together. I always held her. We’d go shopping and walk arm-in-arm. She kept my last name and called me her gay husband. Her health began to deteriorate in 2007. It was a nerve disease. She lost her hearing. Then her sight. And I took care of her. She always told me to forget about her. To go out there and find a good guy. But I stayed by her side. We’d never officially gotten divorced, which helped in the end. They let me in the hospital room as her husband. I wasn’t allowed to touch her, but I was right next to her as she died, breathing with her. It’s been two years now. I’ll move away soon. There’s nothing left in this city for me. But first I’m going to have a ceremony in Central Park, and give an envelope of her ashes to everyone who loved her. I don’t know whether to call her my wife. It’s not important to me. Alexandra was the love of my life.”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

twerking on the railroad posted:

Not exactly an r/relationships thing, but this was posted to "Humans of New York" and got everyone angry

Angry about what? That story is sad.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Angry about what? That story is sad.

Gonna guess it's the wife just melting the gently caress down over something every bi dude says at some point in passing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Gonna guess it's the wife just melting the gently caress down over something every bi dude says at some point in passing

I read it more as he was actually gay but :shrug:

Also she melted down so hard she died.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He was so bisexual it gave her cancer.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Good job finding that one army dude who knew AF unit symbols and cared about "stolen valor".

I don't think the OP is an rear end in a top hat but he knew the history behind the tattoo and that it would cause confusion. Should have gone with a different color or left it black and white if he wanted to honor them but not get called out on it.

edit
Telling somebody you missed being with a type of person that they themselves can never fill that role after 10 years of marriage seems like a pretty dumb idea.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 8, 2019

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The Gay Agendas plan keeps getting more byzantine by the year.

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 8, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cyks posted:

Good job finding that one army dude who knew AF unit symbols and cared about "stolen valor".

I don't think the OP is an rear end in a top hat but he knew the history behind the tattoo and that it would cause confusion. Should have gone with a different color or left it black and white if he wanted to honor them but not get called out on it.

I've spent most of my 40 years around former military, and had never heard of stolen valor until recently. Good chance this dude had no clue about the concept either.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You don't need to be an expert on stolen valor to know that getting a tattoo only worn by specific people who did specific extremely difficult and dangerous things is dumb.

But, this is a guy who apparently had his life saved by "a short youtube video" of guys that are "cool" so

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheScott2K posted:

Yiiiiiiiiiiikes

Yeah this is bad

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (40F) partner (44M) proposed with a ring that isn't my style at all, and I would be prohibited from wearing at my job. We each think the other is being ridiculous about it. Help us.

Together 4 years.

My 2nd marriage/engagement, he was engaged once but broke it off before the wedding because they couldn't agree on where to live (she was from another country).

I work in medicine and do direct patient care. When we first discussed marriage I said I want a very simple ring. I'd be totally happy with just a band - there are so many available materials and styles beyond just a traditional gold or silver flat ring - or small, close set stones. There are some styles of silicone ring that I really like as well. I didn't want a setting on the ring. I'm not much of a jewelry person anyway and nothing huge and "glamorous" would suit my personal style, I don't care for the look, and I would not be allowed to wear it at work.

It can and would tear gloves and scratch patients. Infants and seniors have extremely fragile skin, a small nick to us can be a huge skin tear to them.

He understood.

And then, Thursday night, proposed with a giant brick I hate and never would or could wear.

I brought it up with him the next day after thinking about how to say it. I said something like "I really look forward to starting a future with you and I realize a ring is just an object - it's our marriage that matters. But, to me, a ring is a symbol of that commitment and I want to be able to wear it. I can't wear the ring you chose at work, and it doesn't suit my style. We talked about what I was looking for in a ring so I'm confused why you deviated from that so drastically. Maybe we could return to the jewelry store together and find a compromise, if you want me to have something "nicer" or "flashier" than I would choose, we may be able to find something you like that I can also wear. Or, we could return that ring, get a fancy looking "placeholder" that's less expensive for the ceremony and formal occasions, and I could wear a simple band or silicone for daily wear. How do you feel about those options?"

He got very upset.

He thought I was just being self sacrificing by "not asking for much" so he wanted the ring to be extra special because I deserve it.

I appreciate that thought but I was NOT being self sacrificing. I rarely wear jewelry beyond stud earrings or a simple necklace. I'm a tomboy type, always have been, glamour just isn't me. I'm not trying to sell myself short, it's just not me. I don't like that style.

And even if I loved this ring I CAN'T WEAR IT 90% of the time!!!

I'd be happy to return this ring and buy a higher end CZ for the wedding or formal occasions if he wants something that looks flashy. It's still not me but I don't mind making that compromise. He gets a say too. Wearing a big ring on nights out doesn't harm me in any way.

But this ring is useless to me and not to my tastes AT ALL. We've been together 5 years, when I was married previously we used cheap $20 bands for the ceremony and didn't even wear rings! He was a plumber and tried silicone bands but after tearing 2 of them he just went without, and at this time there weren't many available designed for women so again, because of my job, I didn't wear one. When we went out, we wore our gold plated original bands.

I wonder if my husband to be doesn't feel he's "competing" with my ex, or doesn't want to do the same thing but I genuinely have no use at all for this ring. It isn't HIM, it's the RING and I can't get him to understand that.

What can we do or is there a different way to approach it?

tl;dr I wanted a simple band or silicone wedding ring because I cannot wear set stones at work, nor do I like large, glam jewelry and that's exactly what my now-fiance proposed with. I don't like and can't wear this ring. I suggested compromises and he's insistent that I "deserve" this ring..... that I hate and can't wear. Help.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (40F) partner (44M) proposed with a ring that isn't my style at all, and I would be prohibited from wearing at my job. We each think the other is being ridiculous about it. Help us.

tl;dr I wanted a simple band or silicone wedding ring because I cannot wear set stones at work, nor do I like large, glam jewelry and that's exactly what my now-fiance proposed with. I don't like and can't wear this ring. I suggested compromises and he's insistent that I "deserve" this ring..... that I hate and can't wear. Help.

"I don't want something like this."
"Ohhhh, I gotcha, WINK WINK"
"No, really, I don't like it and I can't wear it ever."
"IIIII'm pickin up what you're putting down. WINK."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I had forgotten about this video...where can I find it again?