Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That said, sometimes it is nice to try someone else's take on a dish you're comfortable with. Like, I love my coquille st Jacque recipe, I've been making it at home for 20+ years now (yes I am old), but if I see that on the menu I might be tempted to order it just to see how someone else does it.

I've tried this exactly twice with carbonara, and got real fuckin' mad about it both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah it's kind of incredible that I've paid restaurant prices for carbonara and they're still too cheap to add the peas.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

No Wave posted:

Yeah it's kind of incredible that I've paid restaurant prices for carbonara and they're still too cheap to add the peas.

I can't tell if you are joking or not

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

get the gently caress out of here i'll cut you

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

spoken like folk without kids

we gotta jam vegetables into the good poo poo in order to trick them

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

Natural wine can also be a mess because it is basically discarding several centuries of human experience in how to ferment grapes without getting off-flavors and thus waste.

Less than you'd think. If you have good pH and complete fermentation wine can be fairly stable, and a lot of "off-flavors" can be from things that have only been considered as such relatively recently, for example pyrazines. If you're not tasting some kind of green pepper in your cab franc then you aren't drinking good cab franc. If you haven't had pinot with just the right enough amount of brett to make it interesting as gently caress then I dunno, go get some Parkerized poo poo and beat off about wine points.

Dudes in Georgia have been burying giant urns in the ground, filling them with crushed grapes, and making some awesome wines for a lot more than several centuries; are they loving it up now because someone decided oxidation is an off-flavor?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
My second job is a place that sells only natural wines, personally, I know jack poo poo about wine so can't really weigh in. Although the customers do seem to be divided, they either love them or think they've gone off.

My main job that I walked out on a while back due to mismanagement/short staffing etc. ended up not firing me but did put me on a warning... however one of the better managers has moved to run another of their properties and requested I come there and run the kitchen.

It's an 18-20% pay rise but the position is only open April - Oct each year, so I would go back to my current position in the offseason to help with catering functions and so on.

Tempted to take it, could do with the extra £££ but everything has been going pretty well here since I walked out (they actually hired some people, took some advice and bought things we needed etc.).

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

idiotsavant posted:

Less than you'd think. If you have good pH and complete fermentation wine can be fairly stable, and a lot of "off-flavors" can be from things that have only been considered as such relatively recently, for example pyrazines. If you're not tasting some kind of green pepper in your cab franc then you aren't drinking good cab franc. If you haven't had pinot with just the right enough amount of brett to make it interesting as gently caress then I dunno, go get some Parkerized poo poo and beat off about wine points.

Dudes in Georgia have been burying giant urns in the ground, filling them with crushed grapes, and making some awesome wines for a lot more than several centuries; are they loving it up now because someone decided oxidation is an off-flavor?

A few good points here, but I think you are also disregarding the many, many hype-beast schnooks that are willing to disregard serious faults that make wines unpleasant to put in one's mouth and consume, all in the name of "natural winemaking" and the romance tied up in that. Plus the fact that one bottle to the next from the same batch can go from brilliant to undrinkable. I have a hard time shelling out $30+ retail for something that has a 50/50 chance of being really good or something I'm going to pour down the drain. That said, there are people that have been doing "natural winemaking" since before "natural winemaking" was a thing and have it dialed in such that it is much less of a gamble.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
As with everything else marketing itself as natural, natural wine is just another way of overcharging wealthy hippies for subpar products. The fact that a few "natural" wines accidentally turn out to be drinkable doesn't really change this fact.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CleverHans posted:

A few good points here, but I think you are also disregarding the many, many hype-beast schnooks that are willing to disregard serious faults that make wines unpleasant to put in one's mouth and consume, all in the name of "natural winemaking" and the romance tied up in that. Plus the fact that one bottle to the next from the same batch can go from brilliant to undrinkable. I have a hard time shelling out $30+ retail for something that has a 50/50 chance of being really good or something I'm going to pour down the drain. That said, there are people that have been doing "natural winemaking" since before "natural winemaking" was a thing and have it dialed in such that it is much less of a gamble.

So here’s the thing: there are absolutely natural wines that have awful flaws, and there are absolutely supporters of natural wine that overlook those awful flaws and blow woo about zero sulfur and that kind of thing. I find the reaction to natural wine hilariously overblown, though, and often very telling. Natural wine is a teeny, tiny, minuscule fraction of the world of wine. There was probably more fake Pinot noir sold from one case than the total amount of natural wine produced over a decade worth of harvests. The amount of flawed natural wines compared to the amount of just pure poo poo commercial wines that have been doctored to hell and back (and don’t disclose any of it) is negligible. And yet people freak out when someone has a bottle of weird Basque cider and enjoys it.

One thing that I love about natural wine (whether I find it drinkable or not) is that it has really democratized wine culture for a lot of new wine drinkers. You don’t have to know poo poo about the Bordeaux chateaus, or shell out a ton of money you don’t have trying to learn Burgundy or Barolo, because you’re drinking a $20 bottle some dude makes from weird Loire grapes that doesn’t have any historical weight behind it other than “once people in this village made wine from these vines.” That’s really exciting. That results in wines that are interesting, and wines that provoke, and wines that pull new people into actually experiencing a wine and finding out about it and wondering what makes a wine. Sometimes that’s something pretty dreadful, but them’s the breaks.

Anyways that’s probably enough off-topic stuff from me for now!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I will add, if a wine is doctored up, but they (maybe not on the bottle but somewhere accessible) disclosed what they did I'd probably buy it (by the case if it's decent+) just because that's hella cool.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

As with everything else marketing itself as natural, natural wine is just another way of overcharging wealthy hippies for subpar products. The fact that a few "natural" wines accidentally turn out to be drinkable doesn't really change this fact.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a company that lasted a year or so who made your own vintage of wines in the 'burbs I grew up!

Parents did a chard. It was so awful that the bottles could just be looted for underage drinking with no risk of inventory notice. This was terrible and not a natural wine.

My great great grandfather had a cask with whatever juices/grapes could be tossed in which was also terrible, but natural.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

There is a wide gulf between your grandpa’s basement wine and say, Martha Stoumen. There is excellent natural wine just as there is lovely traditional wine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The thing is, it really isn’t hard to make good, drinkable basement wine with a pretty low amount of fuss and basically no additions or manipulations other than maybe a little sulfur to keep things stable. It does help a lot to have a certain mass just to keep fermentation temps in a good spot, but you can also do that with a small space heater and/or suitable fermentation containers.

I mean, two of the guys Martha started out with still make their wines in literally the basement of one of their parents house in the East Bay.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I mean, I make mead in half-gallon mason jars on my counter.

Modern sanitation and a little attention to detail is all it takes to make hooch.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

No Wave posted:

Nah, the worst part is when you have the peas, but they don't even bother to add the cream. Like, I can get being stingy because good cream's expensive, but geez.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
they didn’t even have foraged morels + ramps, worst carbonara ever

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Carbonara with ramps sounds like something i want. Will try to remember in three weeks.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2019

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
No, you want a plate of ramps with a side of carbonara. Like seriously, if I could have ramps year round, I would just have a plate of grilled and fermented ramps with ramp pesto, some toast, and random protein all day erryday.

But for real tho, I would. I loving love ramps as much as my white trash upbringings led me to love Lemon Pepper on everything.

gently caress you, I love Lemon Pepper.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really see the difference between putting the ramps on top of or next to when I'm just going to just shovel everything into my mouth before I'm done chewing anyways.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't have eggs, guanciale, or pecorino so I made carbonara with spam, half and half, peas, and carrots.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm calling the police

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mods??

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean I can't -stop- him.

I can judge him however. :catstare:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't have eggs, guanciale, or pecorino so I made carbonara with spam, half and half, peas, and carrots.

I thought I knew what a garbage plate was

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mu Zeta posted:

I did the same thing but I didn't have spaghetti either so I made carbonara with rice, tuna, frozen broccoli, cream of cheddar soup, and some breadcrumbs.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

I did the same thing but I didn't have spaghetti either so I made carbonara with rice, tuna, frozen broccoli, cream of cheddar soup, and some breadcrumbs.

you’re trying too hard

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coasterphreak posted:

yum

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
make ramps like sebollitas oaxaca and have a good time. it goes with literally everything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is a ramp

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Tollymain posted:

what is a ramp

This site should answer all your questions

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

I now have new questions

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
A ramp is a simple machine used to move objects up a vertical distance with minimal effort.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
The best party about ramp season is the fiddleheads. Ramps are poo poo. Fiddleheads are glorious.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Resting Lich Face posted:

A ramp is a simple machine used to move objects up a vertical distance with minimal effort.

I'm inclined to learn more.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm inclined to learn more.

They’re basically just a plane old wild onion

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Naelyan posted:

The best party about ramp season is the fiddleheads. Ramps are poo poo. Fiddleheads are glorious.

I worked at a hotel and we had a guest chef and she was eating ferns out of the planters (they were not fiddleheads)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

Fiddleheads are good, but morels are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Fiddleheads are good, but morels are better.

I disagree with you, but understand your view and will protect your right to your opinion.