Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dancer posted:

Weren't there like... a lot of S1 penises? There was penis in the cosmic mind-space, there was djinn fire-penis there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.

I guess this got impacted by the budget cuts as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
*extremely Ian McShane voice* That's a lotta cocks

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There's a lotta need for cocks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Flatscan posted:

In the book Shadow is just a nickname, his birth name is Balder.

McSpanky posted:

Is this a huge spoiler?

It's not anymore, I haven't read the book but figured it out when I saw the ledger being held by the Girl Guides, a name written down with no date and no balance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dancer posted:

Weren't there like... a lot of S1 penises? There was penis in the cosmic mind-space, there was djinn fire-penis there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.

Friend of mine took a scientific approach to this. Results here:

Now, the results from episodes 7 and 8 aren't shown, but even with an incomplete data set we can conclude; Yes. There has been a quantitative reduction in onscreen penis for S2 thus far.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dancer posted:

there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.

Shadow smashing the LCD picture frame in anger was one of the unintentionally hilarious scenes from S1.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Not enough money in the budget for penis this season.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
You get Ricky Whittle in a towel and shy away from showing his enormous dong? Instant L for this season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

God this show is so boring. Can just please something happen.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
We didn't even get leprechaun dong. Shameful.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MiddleOne posted:

God this show is so boring. Can just please something happen.

I made the mistake of rewatching some S1 episodes and S2 feels completely glacial and nonsensical at this point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nothing really happened in the first season either, it just had a faster pace. At least we are getting some actual character development now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly why did this get renewed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oasx posted:

Nothing really happened in the first season either, it just had a faster pace. At least we are getting some actual character development now.

Isn't it the exact other way around? The first season was a setup for the plot, so every episode had some semblance of character development as we needed to learn the character's motivations, and it was coupled with also setting stage for the backstory of the world they're in. The only real event that happened on-screen is a mafia-like scene where a bunch of people are murdered in a restaurant early on the season. The climax of all that is a war that, so far, we only know that is happening because we had a scene with a small board being used by two characters saying "someone attacked some place somewhere". That's the extension of the war that started at the end of S1 where a Goddess showed some crazy rear end powers and changed nature on a wide scale. You can see a more interesting reaction to Gods loving up with the world if you watch the TV scenes from Bruce Almighty. The filler scenes are either setting up the world or the characters. Right now we already know the characters, and as far as the new season goes:

* Odin is the same character.
* Mr. World is the same character except he now barely appears.
* Leprechaun follows Dead Wife, wants her coin. Distrusts Odin. Leprechaun has a thing for Dead Wife, which is really not anything new considering that he had the chance to reclaim his coin in S1 and didn't, something that can be easy to forget.
* Dead Wife doesn't give a gently caress about Leprechaun. Dead Wife is pursuing husband. Dead Wife invades a train to save husband, spends a season and a half looking to get into his good graces, only to have a sudden change of heart which doesn't really qualify as character development as much as it qualifies as bad writing. You either have - Wednesday, her bff she cheated on and everyone else was right, and she has no love for Husband, in which case this would be the worst case of "character progression" on the show, or you have a huge plot hole, which is why was she seeing him as a bright light in the first place? What connects her to him?
* Husband follows Odin and questions him somewhat but doesn't do anything about it and still follows him blindly. Last season ended with Dead Wife telling Husband what Odin did in what was a pretty big soap opera reveal. He doesn't do anything about it. He doesn't really have a strong reaction to anything at all - any reaction he has is immediately subdued by him leaving the room obediently.
* Media became... New Media... and no amount of craziness coming from her comes even close to how great it was to see Gillian Anderson as David Bowie. She's a new, worse character replacing a very good, confident one. And even if you consider that as fitting for the plot, the way the new character is executed is campy at best, absolutely awful at worst.
* Bilquis is... on the fence, doing nothing, really. She's warned about being on the fence. And she's on the fence.
* Tech Boy makes no sense. He has no real divine portfolio. He's one of the more interesting characters this season and yet he's completely wasted. If Money is a God and "any form of money" is in his portfolio then for all intents and purposes Tech Boy should be extremely powerful. However even Odin seems to have more power over electronic devices than him.

The "villains" are non-present. Mr. World barely appears, Tech Boy is gone and seems far less powerful and consistent, Media literally morphs into a new character that seems clueless and is kinda just there, and Mr. World has a henchman who had 0 character development and barely shows up. Argus dies. The plot went into such a way that right now there are effectively two villains and one of them has zero presence as a villain. The New Gods side went from looking like a mysterious vast network of powerful new Gods that control every aspect of the modern society (remember the police station scene?) to a guy in a dark control room with a war board.

Contrasting with S1, S01E04 for example can be seen as a filler episode but there's a lot packed in it, you get introduced to characters that are lasting and you get the great interaction of Laura and her friend having a freak out. It's a character-driven episode, a bit slow, almost entirely about character development. You can see the point of the episode and where it's going even if at the time people thought it was slow. This season has people going "someone explain the point of this episode" instead.

Being a bit cynical but not nearly as much as I'd like, this season feels greedy. It feels like instead of taking the blessing of renewal and moving along it wants to stretch its plot as much as it can as if there were 5 seasons planned ahead.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Between this and Arrested Development I’ve learned to stop wishing for shows to come back

I know reports were saying Gaiman wanted the show to be closer to his book but honestly as someone who has read a lot of Gaiman books - S1 of this show was on track to be MUCH better than the book.

Ah well life goes on

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

First episode of the season that I didn't care for. Just felt like filler.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a great scene on S1 is the meeting with Mr. World. The Gods have a very alien quality to them, not enough to separate them completely from humans (after all they're based on humans) but enough to show that they're manifestations of abstract things. Odin was given a personality by his mythos, and he follows it almost as if he can't. Mr. World doesn't have a mythos giving him any humane personality so he's this weird alien awkward thing that Media coughs to point out he's going too far. Media herself is all about presentation, choice of words, wrapping things up in a nice paper, saying things in quotes, existing as manifestations of human media, thinking about how to renew herself since adapting is pretty much what she's presenting to Odin, but unable to be anything other than concept of media herself. Tech Boy is a perfect representation of an angry teenager on the Internet, someone who'd ragequit in a game of LoL ("gently caress respect") and amusingly enough looks like the most human of them (although a terrible, terrible human).

That scene was preceded by a great scene with the double interrogation. Odin is being a trickster, playing the con man. The dialogue is fun. We get this small connection with reality, where the cop is suspecting that something VERY wrong is afoot. That scene was preceded by an even greater scene where two of the New Gods meet in this VR futuristic device. We learn that Media is pretty old (and didn't seem to have to be "reborn") and remembers the War of the Worlds panic, and suggests that because of human belief even Martian Aliens now exist. The interrogation also shows actual power from, presumably, either Mr. World or Tech Boy - a Fax Machine, turned off, worked by itself. We know the influence that the New Gods can have over the world and the music has a tone of Terror, the environment is claustrophobic, and everything is set up to show that the New Gods are all-encompassing in the modern world. Complete knowledge of Shadow's whereabouts as one would expect from Godly Entities representing a knowledge of everyone, technology, globalization, essentially a shadow government. Odin makes an en passant line about how the photographs are from a particular God's eye, but at that time that adds to the mystique. Now I have to think that they had to scream at Argus to get the GPS from Shadowmoon while Tech boy screams at him because he doesn't seem to have any real power of his own, which we saw in a very odd scene.

Those scenes from S1 on the other hand are all back to back great. The ghostly Marilyn Monroe entrance was otherworldly in a way that was great.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 7, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao guys episode 5,6 and 7 leaked already. If you want anything AT All to happen before episode 8 I have some bad news for you.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

Lmao guys episode 5,6 and 7 leaked already. If you want anything AT All to happen before episode 8 I have some bad news for you.

drat they're going crazy with the leaks this season, huh.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Well gently caress.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Johnny Truant posted:

drat they're going crazy with the leaks this season, huh.

Every few years there's a giant one and it's like the greatest Monkeys paw. I want it all early but now I'm stuck doing nothing for the next 3 weeks. extra burn on the NY Life magazine lady whose name was imposed over the video. SCREENER COPY//PROPERTY OF: [name] DO NOT DUPLICATE

shes in trouble. the same scene group uploaded the first 2 episodes of The 100's new season too:woop: and that doesnt air until the 30th

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

shes in trouble. the same scene group uploaded the first 2 episodes of The 100's new season too:woop: and that doesnt air until the 30th

Uhhhh WHAT. I care wayyyy more about this than American Gods. I know we can't discuss :filez: but uh... can we discuss these :filez:???

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I’m on episode 6 now and find myself doing anything besides actually watching the episode.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Elentor posted:

Being a bit cynical but not nearly as much as I'd like, this season feels greedy. It feels like instead of taking the blessing of renewal and moving along it wants to stretch its plot as much as it can as if there were 5 seasons planned ahead.

Bout sums it up

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I liked ep 5 for the most part. All the black history stuff was cool and feels in line with s1

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I really don't care if "things happen" as long as what's on screen continues to be entertaining

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The problem with making it more like the novel is that the novel has problems. At some point in the near future, Wednesday is going to dump Shadow into an episode of Supernatural and gently caress off for a few months.

I enjoy the book but its uneven as all hell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that they went to the effort of doing the Ifrit's eye flames even though his eye was only seen for a split second.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Between this and Arrested Development I’ve learned to stop wishing for shows to come back

I know reports were saying Gaiman wanted the show to be closer to his book but honestly as someone who has read a lot of Gaiman books - S1 of this show was on track to be MUCH better than the book.

Ah well life goes on

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The problem with making it more like the novel is that the novel has problems. At some point in the near future, Wednesday is going to dump Shadow into an episode of Supernatural and gently caress off for a few months.

I enjoy the book but its uneven as all hell.

Indeed, people should also stop wishing for adaptations to hew so closely to the source material. Variety is the spice of life.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Speaking of plot, does anyone really give a poo poo about the actual 'war', though? You want a giant gently caress-off battle on some field, with a hundred million dollar special effects budget? I just don't get what people actually want from the plot when they say it's not going anywhere.

I watch the show mostly because I'm fascinated by the tone and visuals of the world-building. I really like the mystical and mythical portrayal of Americana, steeped in dreamlike unreality, which is why the recent episode with the lynched black man and his rage was great, even if it didn't bring us closer to a conclusion of anything. It's also why I'm tolerant of things that don't exactly make sense, because the obscufated motives of players, weird locales, and the hard to interpret visuals only strengthens the idea of Gods as these unknowable actors that mess with our lives.

Does it have problems? Sure. I find Crispins Glover's portrayal of Mr. World to be more goofy than menacing, which is a real problem for the Big Bad. I also find Ricky Whittle to be a bit one-note, and the character Shadow Moon hasn't really evolved a lot from 'reacting to weird poo poo'. But overall I like the journey it's taking us on.

I should say I haven't read the books so I don't really have any investment in whether it diverges from that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ovenmaster posted:

Speaking of plot, does anyone really give a poo poo about the actual 'war', though? You want a giant gently caress-off battle on some field, with a hundred million dollar special effects budget? I just don't get what people actually want from the plot when they say it's not going anywhere.

If you don't want to tell a story about a war then don't use a war as the driving element of the story. All of these characters are supposedly doing what they do in service of this war. But we're not shown a war, it's not really clear what the stakes are in such a war nor even really who the focal characters are. We're told it's Wednesday and Mr World, but from what's happening in the episodes they seem like side characters in their own story. Shadow is introduced as a or the main character but he's been shunted to the side while other characters go on side-adventures. What even was the episode when tech-boy got shunted.

If I'd outline my problems with the show it's that there's no pacing, there's no clear stakes and there's no focus. The last season finale upped the stakes, only for the show to immediately deflate them again after the first episode of this season.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 8, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The "war" in the book was like 1 page long and was not at all the driving thrust of the plot

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ovenmaster posted:

I watch the show mostly because I'm fascinated by the tone and visuals of the world-building. I really like the mystical and mythical portrayal of Americana, steeped in dreamlike unreality, which is why the recent episode with the lynched black man and his rage was great, even if it didn't bring us closer to a conclusion of anything. It's also why I'm tolerant of things that don't exactly make sense, because the obscufated motives of players, weird locales, and the hard to interpret visuals only strengthens the idea of Gods as these unknowable actors that mess with our lives.

Does it have problems? Sure. I find Crispins Glover's portrayal of Mr. World to be more goofy than menacing, which is a real problem for the Big Bad. I also find Ricky Whittle to be a bit one-note, and the character Shadow Moon hasn't really evolved a lot from 'reacting to weird poo poo'. But overall I like the journey it's taking us on.

I should say I haven't read the books so I don't really have any investment in whether it diverges from that.

I don't particularly care much for action scenes, but I'd like for the plot to go somewhere. Also scenes can be impactful without being a giant "gently caress-off battle on some field" - Ostara's Environmental Change was an incredibly exciting scene and an amazing ending to S1 and it was completely shrugged off. That scene was more interesting than any combat scene and it was essentially the declaration of war. I don't care about the book either, and I sure wouldn't be able to know that the "war" was "1 page long" because we don't seem to be anywhere close to it, and in the TV show it definitely is the driving thrust of the plot because almost everything happening is Odin running errands preparing for the war.

Again, to compare with S1 - everything there was going somewhere. Laura went through death, resurrection, then finding out why she died, then revealed to Shadow, all while developing some sort of weird dysfunctional relationship with Leprechaun who wants his coin back. It was interesting to see everything that happened to her in S1 culminating in her confronting Odin - something that had no repercussion whatsoever. This season Laura exists purely for a Will-they-won't-they. Nothing happened, she's basically running errands trying to... become alive? love Shadow? Like, what's the endgame? Even if you take her scenes out of context and out of plot, they're not interesting scenes by themselves, they're certainly nowhere as interesting as Laura's friend freaking out in the bathroom, or her telling the Death God to go gently caress himself. She's on a season-long quest of moving around with no real goal while being constantly second guessed by the other characters. Her meeting with Shadow at the end of S1 should have had bigger repercussions just like Ostara's action, but instead it resulted in a big bunch of nothing.

The entire season instead is built like filler, and we learn absolutely nothing new. It's like a procedural, but without a procedural content. S1 had interesting and cool scenes and generally had world building. S2 neither offers new questions, nor answers to the questions we already had - even the Gods seem to speak in filler tongue, something which kinda annoys Shadow Moon. And apparently from what someone the only plot advance that may happen is in the last episode since they've been all leaked up to 7, which only adds up to what I said that this season is built like a multi-season long show and whatever they're saving for will happen in the last episode, probably as a cliffhanger. Kinda like Lucifer, I guess.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ep 5 reallllllllly sucked. Like, even Anansi couldn't improve it.

Whoever said they end up doing anything other than watching this show is spot on.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

In season 1 I didn't really understand what was happening and I felt like I was probably missing something

In season 2 I don't really understand what's happening but I have the nagging feeling this is because nothing is happening

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Johnny Truant posted:

Ep 5 reallllllllly sucked. Like, even Anansi couldn't improve it.

Whoever said they end up doing anything other than watching this show is spot on.

That was me, and it's held true up until the very end of Episode 7.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I got a good chuckle at Wednesday's final, subtle dig at Salim's God before they got back on the road---for what bits the show perhaps loses the thread on, little moments like that and almost any time Anansi does anything at all carry it onward.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Something that season 2 seems to kind of gently caress up on is the feeling of despair/abandonment that the old gods have. The whole idea is that it's a sort of pathetic and lonely existence as they fade into obscurity, but S2 just is like lol nah gently caress that, there's gods coming outta the goddamn walls. They're everywhere! We got introduced to what, 3 or 4 separate gods in just this latest episode? For what purpose? Oh this wasn't the dwarf you're looking for, there's a different one you gotta go see k bye.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

The only good thing about Laura is that her scenes generally have Sweeney in 'em. I wish she'd rot already, can't stand her character or the pointlessness of it all. Absolutely preferred how she was in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least even she's naked now, she doesn't look like an actual corpse