Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurui posted:

They have robots to service the bouys. Obviously.

Going back a couple of pages but this is obviously O'Brien's next posting, a three year mission for which he'll be issued a compact runabout to carry his whole family.

Also, the runabout computer's entertainment modules will suffer an irreparable total cascading failure just far enough out of port where it's impossible to get back to have them fixed without screwing up the whole maintenance schedule. Fixing the modules is a five minute job if you have a polyionic fermostat, which unfortunately has to be made of saronidic beryllium and thus can't be replicated. O'Brien had misplaced his and was going to get a new one right before he left dock, but just as he was heading to Requisition, Keiko commed him and told him he had to pick up the a suitcase she left in their old quarters. When he gets back to Requisition, he finds out that it closed early -- 10 minutes ago -- thanks to a Bajoran religious festival. And the docking bay had to be cleared immediately to make way for another craft coming in so no waiting around,

Because the runabout was a prototype of a new production line, there is basically no soundproofing to speak of, so everything someone says or every little girl's high-pitched squeal carries through the whole runabout. As does the just-below-conscious-perception grating humming of the warp drives. (The background noise we hear on the shows is the filtered version; the real sound is much like shifting gears without using a clutch.)

e: oh gently caress the worst snype ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonights episode of TNG, Picard gives the best intentional self own in history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-J9dpG6-Pc

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Worf once described prune juice as "A warriors drink" has anyone ever done an analysis on what this implies about Klingon cuisine

I just did a reread of Fifty Year Mission and your comment brought this to mind from Ronald D. Moore:

Ronald D. Moore posted:

There was a Star Trek novel written by John M. Ford in the early to mid 80s called The Final Reflection. It was a unique Star Trek book at the time, and probably still is, because it was written from a Klingon point of view. It was just a really interesting book I was fascinated with, and I read it a few times. I remember one thing in particular, where he said Klingons liked pastries and sweet juices. I loved the idea. I think as a kid, or a young man, just the notion that these big burly, crazy warriors had a sweet tooth, and that was just part of their culture, was great. I always remembered that. Worf’s love of prune juice was a direct callback to that.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
What We Left Behind, the DS9 Documentary will be screening nationwide on May 13th as a Fathom event. Tickets already on sale via Fandango.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/star-trek-ds9-documentary-hits-theaters-on-may-13/

CaveGrinch fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 8, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always assumed prunes were sour or something, c which would make your face prune

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I always assumed prunes were sour or something, c which would make your face prune

Prunes are dried figs, so they look like giant raisins. Sour things make your face look like a prune.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Prunes are dried figs, so they look like giant raisins. Sour things make your face look like a prune.

Dried plums. And they're pretty sweet.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

CaveGrinch posted:

What We Left Behind, the DS9 Documentary will be screening nationwide on May 13th as a Fathom event. Tickets already on sale via Fandango.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/star-trek-ds9-documentary-hits-theaters-on-may-13/

Hell yea there's a screening near me. This coincides almost perfectly with my yearly DS9 rewatch.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Void (VOY S07E15) is the best episode of Season 7. It re-uses the plot of a TAS episode, wherein Kirk works with a Klingon captain to pool their ships' resources to escape from a void, but with a longer run-time length, more species, and a bigger budget. Starting a new Federation from nothing in a state of anarchy in one episode makes me glad that Janeway gets promoted after the series ends, as opposed to all the TOS/TNG/DS9 admirals who are repeatedly brought in to introduce the conflict of a superior with dubious moral values

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can't improve on TAS, it's impossible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galenanorth posted:

The Void (VOY S07E15) is the best episode of Season 7. It re-uses the plot of a TAS episode, wherein Kirk works with a Klingon captain to pool their ships' resources to escape from a void, but with a longer run-time length, more species, and a bigger budget. Starting a new Federation from nothing in a state of anarchy in one episode makes me glad that Janeway gets promoted after the series ends, as opposed to all the TOS/TNG/DS9 admirals who are repeatedly brought in to introduce the conflict of a superior with dubious moral values
It’s also very very similar to the plot of the Star Trek: Elite Force game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is prune juice just plum juice then

How can you have juice specifically of the dried version of a fruit

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

Thank you, that's bothering me too!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

They dry the plum out, making it a prune, then they basically cook it in hot water to leach out the prune goodness. I assume plum juice would just be stuffing fresh plum into a juicer.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Delsaber posted:

Torme also created Sliders, right? I wonder if some version of The Royale happened there and I never noticed.

The closest episode I've seen so far is where they get trapped inside a computerized version of the hotel they usually stay at, and the manager is controlling everything and deletes one of them (but they're able to undelete her because he never empties his trash bin).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

galenanorth posted:

There's maybe one good VOY episode per season (and I only watched Voyager on the original airings) and the Void actually sticks with me as one I really enjoyed full stop.
Another example of "the whole show should be like this"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just posted a new CYOA (choose your own adventure) thread in The Game Room that might interest my fellow Trekspergs: Original character, do not steal: SomethingAwful Joins Starfleet.

Alternate title: let's write a fanfic.

Head on over if you want to participate in making the sluttiest green alien, the warcrime-iest Cardassian, a collaborative story with Something Awful's very own OC Mary Sue stand-in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:hmmyes:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Was just reading this oral history of webcomics and I had to share:

quote:

In San Diego, me and the Dumbrella guys would always go to this very fancy Art Deco hotel with a little piano bar. We made friends with this tiny bartender named Alfred. He taught us everything he knew about scotch. It became legendary.

One year, 60 cartoonists showed up. We were hanging out drinking, and realized Jonathan Frakes, Riker from Star Trek, and Avery Brooks, who played Sisko, were sitting in a corner — basically Star Trek royalty. Riker went to the piano and sang show tunes for an hour and a half. When he was done, Sisko went up and started doing jazz, getting progressively drunker until they shut the bar down.

I’ll never forget that. It was just an entire bar packed full of webcomics people, watching in dead silence while drunk-as-poo poo Star Trek captains sang show tunes all night.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is not accurate, his arm isn’t messed up

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: oh gently caress the worst snype ever

People can hold a thought while changing pages in threads.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zesty posted:

People can hold a thought while changing pages in threads.

What's this about?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CaveGrinch posted:

Purchased! Thank you

I want to support this sort of thing but it only took me one moment of imagining seeing the DS9 opening credits on the big screen again for me to click that link

(the local nerd club commandeered a movie theater at the university for first-run DS9 & VOY watches when they were fresh and new and it was :krad:)

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 8, 2019

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

CaveGrinch posted:

I threw a little cash at this during the kickstarter, enough for a poster. I'm definitely buying tickets to see DS9 on the big screen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want to see DS9 on the big screen but not really the documentary and sure as hell not with other Star Trek lovers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I want to see DS9 on the big screen but not really the documentary and sure as hell not with other Star Trek lovers

Pick sitting alone in her theater of solitude wearing a bajoran earring and crying into a box of popcorn when Bareil dies

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Want this on a shirt now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that the documentary is going to be a lot of self-congratulatory bullshit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that the documentary is going to be a lot of self-congratulatory bullshit.

I put extra money into it to support it, and to generally send a message that DS9 is relevant (let me have this), but I don't actually have any interest in seeing it beyond the high-res clips. I love the show but this type of thing often ends up really, yeah... wanky.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
given how the rest of the franchise went afterward if I had been involved with the creation and production of deep space nine I'd probably be all up my own rear end about it too

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

I put extra money into it to support it, and to generally send a message that DS9 is relevant (let me have this), but I don't actually have any interest in seeing it beyond the high-res clips. I love the show but this type of thing often ends up really, yeah... wanky.

Well, the thing that really rubs me the wrong way is that Adam Nimoy--who is no great shakes, mind you, I didn't like For the Love of Spock at all--stepped down out of the blue and Ira Steven Behr took over as the director, and Behr is the type to get high on his own farts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Don't care how wanky 85% of it is, I'm going to get to see several glorious minutes in big-screen HD in a comfy recliner

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nimoy had to step down because he became obsessed with Jadzia Dax and knew he must drop everything to pursue a relationship with her

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Well, the thing that really rubs me the wrong way is that Adam Nimoy--who is no great shakes, mind you, I didn't like For the Love of Spock at all--stepped down out of the blue and Ira Steven Behr took over as the director, and Behr is the type to get high on his own farts.

The guy with the purple facial hair? no way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love DS9 but it's a super uneven show with a really goddamn rough last season that routinely threw new characterizations for its core cast against the wall in a valiant effort to see if they could make something stick, instead of just committing, and who regularly forgot stuff they'd written earlier, not in a "this was ill-advised so we'll ignore past mistakes" kind of way but a "we don't have a full grip on the thing we're writing" way. the biggest stalwarts for character coherency seem to be the freaking actors who were playing them, whose emotional investment is precious and commendable but shouldn't have to be their job.

I pretty much guarantee it'll be everyone just talking about how the biggest tragedy is that they didn't get to make more of it, despite the fact that they were already late-seasoning themselves into miles o brien going undercover to get a cat

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

I pretty much guarantee it'll be everyone just talking about how the biggest tragedy is that they didn't get to make more of it, despite the fact that they were already late-seasoning themselves into miles o brien going undercover to get a cat

Nah, it's going to be 90 minutes of "We were the red-headed stepchild / Berman hated us / Paramount were dicks / We were the first serialized show / We broke so much new ground on television / Nevertheless she persisted."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm actually just mad that we only saw Chester twice and garak never ate a tribble

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ira Behr comes off like a weeaboo fanfic writer who actually got the chance to run their own show and relished every minute of it. It’s both very endearing but also a bit self-indulgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh no I hope the retrospective documentary about DS9 isn't too positive about its successes! I'll feel awkward watching it otherwise!

Haha nah I'll watch it alone at home. I'm always alone. I'd never go out and sit next to others who enjoy the same thing, I'm better than them you see. Also I post on this forum 20 times a day