Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

opengl128 posted:

I noticed that too. It's got a weird bend and angle to it.

Sometimes, that's how babies are made.

Why in the hell did the engine need to be replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Odd question but thought I'd ask here, can someone point me to the DIY section on random appliance repairs?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Odd question but thought I'd ask here, can someone point me to the DIY section on random appliance repairs?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-H...,1810,1803,4743

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, about what I feel like. And actually doing this repair requires a sledge and in some cases a scissor jack from a car believe it or not. Combined with a 2x4.

Maytag/Whirlpool can go gently caress themselves.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why in the hell did the engine need to be replaced?

A big run of defective engines. Started ticking loudly, got a new engine under warranty. Well that was after the first service writer I talked to tried to blame in on the aftermarket oil filter because "they can move around and send oil to the wrong places". The gently caress. It's a known issue.

Took almost 5 months because they were backordered across the country because they are dropping like flies. They originally only wanted to cover a rental for 10 days, lol. Eventually got them to cover it for the whole deal. We'll probably sell it before the CPO warranty expires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks. Love the you need to "have engines in stock" innuendo. Yeah, got plenty of room.

Weirdest thing about rod knock. The tolerances are so slim on the rod bearings when new. Measurements are to the hundredths or thousandths. Drop the pan, poke the rod and will clunk if it is bad.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Meet the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ, a glorious old school text infodump

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

Read the particulars in the safety section first, of course.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wife's 17 Impreza just got a foot long crack and now I get to deal with the nightmare that is eyesight glass replacement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eyesight glass?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Eyesight glass?

eyesight is subaru's camera autopilot thing. The cameras have to be re-calibrated for a new windshield.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh. And here I thought it was a fancy windshield so you didn't need to wear glasses.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I picked up a foot long crack this morning as well. It's allllll the way at the edge of the passenger side so I'm gonna let it ride unless it gets worse. If I replace it now I'm sure I'll pick up another chip or crack soon, frigging PA turnpike.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I picked up a foot long crack this morning as well. It's allllll the way at the edge of the passenger side so I'm gonna let it ride unless it gets worse. If I replace it now I'm sure I'll pick up another chip or crack soon, frigging PA turnpike.
Yep, wait as long as you can. I picked up a big crack, got it inspected, and picked up another big set of cracks 6 months later. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Today’s list:

Valve cover gaskets
Thermostat

While you’re in there and you have the plenum off (takes like an hour to get off and an hour and a bit to get back on), might as well do plugs and the evap canister valve as preventative

Send thoughts and prayers pls

well three out of four aint bad - got the plugs, and the evap valve, and the thermostat... but didn't get the god drat valve cover gaskets done because i could not figure out how to put the driver's side cover back on without the gasket coming off it. also tore a bunch of skin off the back of my hand :cool: was thinking how easy it would be on an M52 in that bay rather than the S62... ugh

got it towed to the shop they are going to clean up my mess.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Yesterday I replaced the up-pipe, down pipe, and catback in my 2004 WRX Wagon w/ 3" Invidia. It sounds way better, but I forgot to replace the BPV->Intercooler gasket and it now whistles so loud it sounds like a Tuvan throat singer hitting the highs and lows at the same time :V New gasket arrives tomorrow ><

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I always do a translucent smear of rtv on the corners on the valve cover side, seems to hold things well enough and doesn't cause sealing issues. Makes that nonsense so much easier imo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ooo, I like the look of that Hart Powersledge. Kinda Dwarven.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HART-12-lb-PowerStrike-Sledge-with-Fiberglass-Handle-HS12FS1/204281027

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

Yep, wait as long as you can. I picked up a big crack, got it inspected, and picked up another big set of cracks 6 months later. :(

Welp, it doubled in size just from sitting all day at work. Son of a bitch.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
On my road trip last week, I noticed the hazard button on the dash of my C5 Corvette was pushed in. It didn't seem to work, and I didn't want to fiddle with it on the road for fear that I'd get it stuck on and then have to go buy tools to fix it. Before I left, I'd put in a new ignition bezel because it was cracked when I bought it, so I've become pretty good at getting the dash apart. I got lucky in that the switch wasn't broken, it looks like someone just jammed it too hard and it popped loose. Reaching in behind and pushing it forward, I heard it click back into place and everything works properly. After I was done, I went to the auto parts store and got some weatherstripping, and flush mounted my taillights. Hopefully that keeps the dust and dirt from pooling in the recesses.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Installed a NLA ATE booster on my M3 to try and fix some pedal feel issues. Lucky for me someone replaced one on their race car before they were NLA but then totaled the car.

Also installed some front control arm "bushings"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are those the Garagetastic or the Treehouse Racing ones? I had THR ones on my E46, they felt great compared to stock (other than the noise over bumps).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Condor. They make sets that keep stock geometry on 96-99 M3s, all the other companies use the E30 M3 offset geometry which would destroy my fender liners.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Was going to replace the oil pressure sender (it's pissing pretty bad). Can't find the new one, so I decided to do the valve cover gasket and fuel filter that I've been putting off for over 6 months. So. loving. Many. Bolts. 14 bolts on the valve cover. :wtc:

Fuel filter? No problem at all. 5 minutes, 3 of those minutes R&Ring the rusty bracket.

Valve cover? Well... it wouldn't be an STR post if something didn't go wrong.

I'd call that pretty clean for almost 175k. Some varnish, one intake cam lobe has a scratch, but it doesn't catch a fingernail. Surprised to see rollers in such a pedestrian engine. No real slack in the timing chain (it's been parked for well over 12 hours, so the tensioner has no oil pressure behind it). Gasket is cracked in a few spots. I do know the head gasket was done around 40k, I have no idea if it got a timing chain kit or not when that was done. Probably not, since it was an extended warranty covering it.

gently caress

YOU

I didn't manhandle the purge solenoid at all. Just nudged it while removing the valve cover and *snap*. New OEM is :20bux: on Amazon (this one is less than 2 years old, and OEM :fuckoff:), should be here tomorrow. Upside is I have a full tank of gas, so I should be able to drive it, just need to keep the vacuum line plugged (can't put gas in it, and I'm sure it's gonna throw a bunch of evap codes + smell even more like gas than usual). And use a pick to remove what's left of the nipple from the hard line. I did start it and let it get up to temp, it immediately threw a purge solenoid code (it's disconnected electrically, but still mounted and has the vacuum line connected), but ran fine otherwise. Didn't notice any leaks from the valve cover.

Car certainly starts a lot easier with the new filter, but I couldn't blow through the old one at all. The car has had some severe stumbling problems for a bit; no codes, but the fuel trims have been whacky. Hopefully the new filter fixes that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 9, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That reminds me that I need to grab some of those connectors from the wrecking yard to use in my EFI conversion. It's either those or military-style round connectors.

STR posted:

gently caress

YOU

I've simply drilled the nipple out on stuff like that before, and epoxied in a piece of brake tubing or copper line, but for $20, eh.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I did babby's first brake job, putting Zimmerman rotors and Textar pads on my 07 S4. It took me the better part of a Sunday and a few hours of the following evening to complete, even with some help from a friend on Sunday. I saved ~$250 by doing it myself and honestly I'm not entirely sure it was worth the trouble. I immediately tweaked an old slipped disc in my back upon starting. Getting old sucks. The kicker is the stuff that was on the car still had plenty of life left, despite my shop telling me they needed to be done in the next 2500 miles. Not too motivated to go back there now.

On the upside I used the opportunity to put on my summer wheels with brand new summer rubber. The pictured wheel is also brand new because I found it as a spare for $150 with a brand new michelin tire on it, which replaces the worst curbed one I had. New new new, all the new things.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
re herniated disc - not calling you overweight, but losing weight and starting to stretch every day before bed has made my flare-ups become a rarity rather than a daily or weekly thing. definitely didn't fix the nerve damage, but it is certainly more livable. good luck with it though

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The original injury was from playing tennis almost 10 years ago when I was about 145-150lbs @ 5'8. I'm up to 170 now and have definitely developed a pretty moderate case of dad-bod so your advice is not off-base. It probably wasn't wise to have an intense 90 minute practice session with a stronger player before starting the brake job, too.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting old is hell. Turns out I have a narrowing of the spine, and now I lose feeling in my feet/legs if I stand or walk for long periods of time. Hope to get it fixed, but having a nice roller stool and chair in the garage is a godsend.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Just start mainlining cornstarch and that'll thicken ya right up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've also herniated a disc in my back playing hockey a few years back (re-injured a few months ago) and working on my car seems to be one of the more painful things to do. I can still play hockey, snowboard, hike and ride my dirt bike all without pain so long as I stretch or warm-up. All the awkward hunching over, sitting in weird positions for long periods of time etc seems to not help very much.

I'm about to start doing yoga as I've heard from multiple people with similar injuries that it made a huge difference in flexibility/comfort.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Verman posted:

I'm about to start doing yoga as I've heard from multiple people with similar injuries that it made a huge difference in flexibility/comfort.

+1. But make sure you take it easy as you begin. Hatha style is my recommended one.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Brought the 9-7x in to quickly change the oil and switch winter wheels and tires for the summers. Oil change went smooth but 2 of the summers were flat. Spraying some leak detector revealed terrible bead leaks 50% of the way around one wheel and 90% of the way around the other. These are 50 series tires on 20” aluminum wheels so I used the “bead buster xl” to create enough room for me to wire brush the wheels and apply new bead sealer. Seemed to work so now the truck is off to a local shop getting long tube headers, high flow catted Y, and catback installed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I've simply drilled the nipple out on stuff like that before, and epoxied in a piece of brake tubing or copper line, but for $20, eh.

Yeah, considering it's a hair under $20 to have an OEM one overnighted... I'd probably spend more on the expoy and copper line. Annoyingly, I did lose the nut that holds it on to a stud on the head. I'll probably pull the stud and go to Lowe's to find a matching nut.

Oddly, the CEL went back off (though I did plug the solenoid back in for now). It hasn't popped an evap leak code, despite the evap being completely disconnected from the engine. And it still shows the evap monitor as incomplete, despite it being several thousand miles since the PCM was last reset.

It did get a hunting idle when I first started it today, but it went away after a minute. I assume it was cycling the evap solenoid and creating a vacuum leak, but I can't be sure of that.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Freshly polished headlights:

Freshly swapped exhaust:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I swapped the clock in the Volvo over to 24h time.

I was also poking at the gauge cluster as the temp gauge stopped working, but it did respond to the VIDA instructions to perform a function test.

Just P2 things.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Yeah, considering it's a hair under $20 to have an OEM one overnighted... I'd probably spend more on the expoy and copper line. Annoyingly, I did lose the nut that holds it on to a stud on the head. I'll probably pull the stud and go to Lowe's to find a matching nut.

If it were Japanese it would be easy - M6 (10mm head) is almost always the answer.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
got to looking at the Corvette yesterday, and I found that on one of the rear tires, on the edge, it has some cord showing. The PO must have ran them with low pressure, because they have a fair amount of tread in the middle, and the war is on the outer edges. I check them every month or so, and they've always been spot on. I'd buy new wheels and tires, but today I got up and the well pump had burned up in my house. Spent about $400 repairing that. Looks like no driving it for a month or so until I can get new wheels and tires.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

EvilBeard posted:

got to looking at the Corvette yesterday, and I found that on one of the rear tires, on the edge, it has some cord showing. The PO must have ran them with low pressure, because they have a fair amount of tread in the middle, and the war is on the outer edges. I check them every month or so, and they've always been spot on. I'd buy new wheels and tires, but today I got up and the well pump had burned up in my house. Spent about $400 repairing that. Looks like no driving it for a month or so until I can get new wheels and tires.

Do the needful. C6 wheel are stupid cheap, I got mine for $200 in like new condition.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

Do the needful. C6 wheel are stupid cheap, I got mine for $200 in like new condition.

That was my plan. If I can't find any local, I can get a set from new online for $678. With PilotSports, that puts me around $1500 all in. The water issue just set me back a few weeks.

Then again, it looks like I can get Nittos for $775 installed.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EvilBeard posted:

No TPMS?