Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This. Love that game.

RandomFerret posted:

Very no. Wii Sports had ten times as much content

1, 2 Switch has a decent amount of content but it’s still not worth $50. It’s really fun to play with “non-gamers” though. I’d pick it up on sale if you need a game like that.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Leal posted:

Then literally no 60 fps games exist.

lol, good lord this is dumb.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
god dammit my stupid idiot straight son cant drive home so hes crashing here. i told him to leave because id ont care aobut his safety but hes just too loving responsible

i hate the morning after when my friends are still in my place and im hungover as gently caress. its gonna be way more awkward with my son. i explicitly told him he couldn't use the bathroom and had to poo poo in the cat box

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

cumshitter posted:

Saw Friends of Ringo Ishikawa mentioned in this thread and took a dive on it.

It's like Stardew Valley in that you have to manage how you spend your time each day. The map is super confusing because you go left in some sections and then suddenly you're walking right. Took me a little longer than usual to piece poo poo together because of that.

Game owns. It's Stardew Valley but instead of growing plants you beat up dudes from other schools. It ends abruptly. It plays for several hours and then it's just like over which kinda sucks. Feels more like an episode in a game like those Walking Dead story games or something rather than a game that exists on its own.

Strongly recommend it. It loving owns beating up a bunch of dudes and then popping a slav squat to smoke a cigarette before you loot the money off of your enemies for cheeseburger cash.

There is no tutorial stuff, it just throws you in the pool and tells you to swim so there's no shame in reading this guide first:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/0/405692758710999007/

Dialogue is also really good too. It starts off with the principal calling you into his office because you got held back senior year.

"I'm going to make sure you loving morons graduate this year."

"Thanks, sensei. We knew we were your favorite students."

Do you think it's possible to do multiple runs and have different outcomes?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

cumshitter posted:

god dammit my stupid idiot straight son cant drive home so hes crashing here. i told him to leave because id ont care aobut his safety but hes just too loving responsible

i hate the morning after when my friends are still in my place and im hungover as gently caress. its gonna be way more awkward with my son. i explicitly told him he couldn't use the bathroom and had to poo poo in the cat box

I love my live straight son

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you think it's possible to do multiple runs and have different outcomes?

I don't know. I've only played through once. It was good enough that I did it in one night. It's like a 5-6 hour game.

Without ruining anything, it feels like a lot of what you do ends up being meaningless because the game ends abruptly. It definitely ends way better if you spend some time every afternoon practicing your fighting skills though.

It should be episodic and it should take into account whether you were a hoodlum or going for class valedictorian.

Heath posted:

I love my live straight son

lol whoops my bad. but for real: do you want mine? hes neutered.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Without giving too much away, no. I don't think you can change the ending. It's loving awesome getting there though.

Really looking forward to the next version of it.

One of the cool parts of it is that between classes you can go to the bathroom and smoke a cig. You don't get anything out of it. It's just cool that the guy who made the game designated the school bathroom as a place where you can smoke cigs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

cumshitter posted:

This is the kind of thing the Nintendo Switch was made for.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

cumshitter posted:

Saw Friends of Ringo Ishikawa mentioned in this thread and took a dive on it.

It's like Stardew Valley in that you have to manage how you spend your time each day. The map is super confusing because you go left in some sections and then suddenly you're walking right. Took me a little longer than usual to piece poo poo together because of that.

Game owns. It's Stardew Valley but instead of growing plants you beat up dudes from other schools. It ends abruptly. It plays for several hours and then it's just like over which kinda sucks. Feels more like an episode in a game like those Walking Dead story games or something rather than a game that exists on its own.
Sounds like the Kenka Bancho game on the PSP.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope GSync/freesync becomes a thing in consoles at some point. It's such a huge improvement in any game that you can't reliably hit a stable 60 (or 30 I guess) fps in.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Andrast posted:

I hope GSync/freesync becomes a thing in consoles at some point. It's such a huge improvement in any game that you can't reliably hit a stable 60 (or 30 I guess) fps in.

some xboner models support freesync nowadays, I think. shame about there being no games on em :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

Not only that but removing the costly overhead of V-Sync in general would allow games to perform better when they don't have to lock to some fraction of the display's own refresh rate and can just run uncapped.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

If I've got BotW, Odyssey, and Smash, what's the 4th best switch game that didn't come out for the WiiU?

Hollow Knight.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Stardew valley

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ItBreathes posted:

If I've got BotW, Odyssey, and Smash, what's the 4th best switch game that didn't come out for the WiiU?

DOOM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:hmmyes:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Donut Country.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thank you so much for to ripping their guts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Going by my parental control log Yoshi's crafted world took my son 14.5 hours to finish. He made it through the whole game collecting at his own pace and never had to do a flip side or a scavenger hunt task until the last robot, who required 30 flowers (my son had 22 left). So he did like two flip side and two scavenger hunt tasks. If he was a little better at finding flowers his first time through or remembered to put costumes on he wouldn't have needed to do that. All that stuff truly is optional.

I am doing a %100 complete run and about 20 hours in and about 2/3 through the main game. I have so many extra flowers. I'm curious how baby of these I need to actually unlock all the bonus levels. I have a little bit of a feeling that maybe I would have enough even without doing the scavenger hunt, and those are there only to give players options if certain levels are too hard. I'll track it and find out. I actually enjoy doing those anyway, my son is really good at spotting things when I am not so I can play through the levels and he can participate (I like this better than the actual co-op where I think the two characters get in the way of each other.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The log tells you how he played the game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

The log tells you how he played the game?

No my eyes tell me that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I haven't played NSMBU on WiiU, so Deluxe would be the first time I'm experiencing that specific content. Played the hell out of NSMB on DS, and NSMBWii, and my son loves the latter. We don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around for getting new games all the time, especially when they're like $80 CDN (:negative:), and I'm already definitely planning on getting Mario Maker 2 in June... I'm wondering if that game will more or less totally supersede Deluxe.

Yeah, there are a lot of lovely or way too hard levels that'll get uploaded, but there'll also be a bunch of good stuff, too. Generally, it'll be a virtual infinite amount of Mario platforming, so I'm thinking that Mario Maker 2 will be the defacto platform game on the system for a while. Am I crazy?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It eventually will be, but until there's enough quality levels made you could have hundreds of professionally designed ones to play through. I understand the money situation though, that does complicate things. I guess it would come down to if either of you would actually be making levels too? If that part interests you then waiting would probably be good, if not then I would go for the guaranteed pack of finite but top quality over the potential for infinite decent to good quality.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around for getting new games all the time, especially when they're like $80 CDN (:negative:)

Buy used and resell when you're done. Especially first party Nintendo games hold their value, so you end up basically playing the game for the price of shipping.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It eventually will be, but until there's enough quality levels made you could have hundreds of professionally designed ones to play through. I understand the money situation though, that does complicate things. I guess it would come down to if either of you would actually be making levels too? If that part interests you then waiting would probably be good, if not then I would go for the guaranteed pack of finite but top quality over the potential for infinite decent to good quality.

I will be making so many levels, both for my son, specifically (who's actually not that bad at Mario games in general), but also for the general community. Actually, holy poo poo, he has this game he likes to play, irl, where I have a slinky held up above him, and it's bouncing up and down, and he tries to run underneath it when it goes up. He actually calls it the 'thwomp game', because of his familiarity with the Mario games, so.... so I'm going to make him his own thwomp game level.

Aaaaaauuuhhhh.... I kind of just got a bit teary at that. :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NSMBU is very okay, if almost completely unmemorable. I played through it and I didn't have a bad time, but I haven't picked it up since. I'd have trouble recommending it at full price, though I'm not sure how Mario maker is/was/will be for actually playing.

Used switch games tend to go for 3/4 to 2/3rds new, maybe you could get a deal in the SA-Mart game thread or on Reddit.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so I haven't played NSMBU on WiiU, so Deluxe would be the first time I'm experiencing that specific content. Played the hell out of NSMB on DS, and NSMBWii, and my son loves the latter. We don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around for getting new games all the time, especially when they're like $80 CDN (:negative:), and I'm already definitely planning on getting Mario Maker 2 in June... I'm wondering if that game will more or less totally supersede Deluxe.

Yeah, there are a lot of lovely or way too hard levels that'll get uploaded, but there'll also be a bunch of good stuff, too. Generally, it'll be a virtual infinite amount of Mario platforming, so I'm thinking that Mario Maker 2 will be the defacto platform game on the system for a while. Am I crazy?

There's something about NSMBU physics I loving hated. It's like it takes years for mario to lurch into action, Everything seems delayed by an entire second. I would recommend against it.

wait for mm2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guilty posted:

There's something about NSMBU physics I loving hated. It's like it takes years for mario to lurch into action, Everything seems delayed by an entire second. I would recommend against it.

wait for mm2

Every game style in Mario Maker uses the NSMBU physics though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Every game style in Mario Maker uses the NSMBU physics though

Yeah, I'm already used to those physics. They are a bit floaty, but the extra moves make up for it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I dunno if I'd pay the current price for NSMBU if it were just for me to play by myself, but both NSMBU and NSMB Wii really shine in 4 player. It's worth the price and more if you've got 4 players ready to death race to the end of a level, trying to murder each other on the way. I have no idea if this is how the games were meant to be played but it is definitely one of the best Mario experiences if you can get that going.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

RBA Starblade posted:

What is the framerate of reality

Approximately 1.8 x 1043 fps :science:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nickoten posted:

I dunno if I'd pay the current price for NSMBU if it were just for me to play by myself, but both NSMBU and NSMB Wii really shine in 4 player. It's worth the price and more if you've got 4 players ready to death race to the end of a level, trying to murder each other on the way. I have no idea if this is how the games were meant to be played but it is definitely one of the best Mario experiences if you can get that going.

It has to be. There's no way they could create something that perfect by accident

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

too low

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eh, a PC could do better :reject:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the refresh rate of human vision

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4hz

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Our own perception of reality is delayed by as much as 120ms. You can experience this for yourself if you rapidly dart your eyes back and forth from a clock with a second hand. The second hand will appear to hang for longer than a second because your brain needs time to fill in the new visual information.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Our own perception of reality is delayed by as much as 120ms. You can experience this for yourself if you rapidly dart your eyes back and forth from a clock with a second hand. The second hand will appear to hang for longer than a second because your brain needs time to fill in the new visual information.

Sounds like you just need to get a better connection

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

exquisite tea posted:

Good info but not answering his question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

irl lag