Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Xarbala posted:

Like how the first Dragon Age wanted to make sure you never stopped thinking about the taint.

To be fair more media should glorify the cleansing of the taint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I have the feeling the mortality of the side characters in this chapter is going to approach 100%.

I think the Crescian woman who just offed Danila might be vampire? She's got that big necklace that looks like a gaping mouth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_15.html

So Foi-Hellick did get Crescian help after all. Just not enough.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
* trains magically gifted children as wizards and sends them to war

* complains that enemy soldiers are attacking children

I thought that the cognotively dissonant bootlicking was just a Duane thing, apparently there really are other Alds drinking the kool-aid

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Huh, if you re-read Duane's narration at the start of this chapter, it sure sounds like he and Lem weren't involved in the fighting until AFTER Roger had vanished/defected to Cresce, leaving the rebellion to fend for itself. And yet here he is, right in front of Lem.

I wonder if this is when he and Sonorie went to fetch Ruck?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Motherfucker posted:

She is really good at making names with stupid loving pronunciations. 'Adelier' is NOT said 'Adeliyay' Sette is not said 'setty' the gently caress.

Right up till his disguise randomly and suddenly expires... that's gotta be awkward when you're tryna line up a backstab.

No that's exactly how you would pronounce Adelier actually.

Sette though, yeah that's not intuitive.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

No that's exactly how you would pronounce Adelier actually.

Sette though, yeah that's not intuitive.

Adelyay I'd give you; Adeleeyay definitely not unless you're stretching the word for effect.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The name's don't bother me since Cope herself takes the piss out of them as early as the second chapter.

Duane tries to get all fancy with his intro and Sette just goes "Dwayne? DWAYNE?! DWAAAYNE?!"

I feel like people keep forgetting that page when they gripe about the names.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

Cat Mattress posted:

Adelyay I'd give you; Adeleeyay definitely not unless you're stretching the word for effect.

Looks like somebody has never heard of french

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Looks like somebody has never heard of french

It's only my native language.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm enjoying this arc and I hope it ends with Duane jawing another snooty Jet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
plat child soldiers: "roflmao look at this nerd who's traumatized by his family exploding"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The life of a Plat is nasty, brutish, and short.

Very short.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

The Q&A tumblr mentioned this squad is all orphans from the plague-stricken district of Fachlyne, who were then drafted into military service, so it does kind of make sense that none of them have much in the way of empathy happening here.

I'm also pretty sure that little silver kid is Will, the boy missing an arm Mikaila chatted with while Duane was busy punching Brodie.

Also, the fact that Duane's wife specifically advised him not to punch Bodie means Duane probably has a history of punching authority figures he shouldn't punch. High odds of Claggart eating his teeth, I'd wager.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I'm also pretty sure that little silver kid is Will, the boy missing an arm Mikaila chatted with while Duane was busy punching Brodie.

wild how much better the shading has gotten between then and now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm enjoying this arc and I hope it ends with Duane jawing another snooty Jet.

even aside from the extratextual stuff I actually somewhat like Captain Claggart

Lem definitely seems to be kinda a poo poo rn

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

plat child soldiers: "roflmao look at this nerd who's traumatized by his family exploding"

they really are the most adorable child soldiers I've seen in a while

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Things are looking up for this company of child soldiers now clearly marked as having never suffered a casualty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Things are looking up for this company of child soldiers now clearly marked as having never suffered a casualty.

and also for young master william, who we already know is missing an arm from the elbow down

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

and also for young master william, who we already know is missing an arm from the elbow down

And also for Lemuel, who appears to be just fine and dandy!

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I'm probably an idiot but why is Lemuel hacking away at the giant pig? I thought it was still alive and moving when the rebels saw it hit Lem and apparently squash him. Wouldn't the rebels have taken it with them? And why the pig and not the rebel leader guy if Lemuel saw him and both were in target range?

I mean, immediately informing your superiors that a known rebel leader was within stinging range would be the most prudent and practical move but at the moment Lemuel does not appear to be in a particular mental place for that.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Tar_Squid posted:

I'm probably an idiot but why is Lemuel hacking away at the giant pig? I thought it was still alive and moving when the rebels saw it hit Lem and apparently squash him. Wouldn't the rebels have taken it with them? And why the pig and not the rebel leader guy if Lemuel saw him and both were in target range?

I mean, immediately informing your superiors that a known rebel leader was within stinging range would be the most prudent and practical move but at the moment Lemuel does not appear to be in a particular mental place for that.

I think the rebels were more concerned with an orderly withdrawal than catching and calming a berserk riderless warboar. I presume when Lem regained consciousness the Rebels were long gone, his friend was long past saving and the pig had succumbed to it's wounds, so he's just having a therapeutic moment with the boar.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Between this, Lem's face when he nearly killed his commanding officer, the fact that he's early-to-mid-teens, and that he just watched a very good friend die, I think it's pretty clear Lem needs a whole lot of psychological help he's not getting and isn't going to get.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lem 100% had a hand in killing his brother and if they ever reunite it is going to be spectacularly horrible

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Yeah, I think Lem was trying to turn him into a martyr for the Ssaelit against the Gefendur - it wouldn't surprise me if Lem was a straight Ssaelit separatist, especially since the note left on the wall was supposed to indicate an alliance of the Crescian and Aldish Gefendur. Then Bastion did the worst possible blasphemy by turning Duane into an undead instead, because Bastion thinks human experimentation on unwilling victims is super-great and god he sucks so bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Watch your step.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are actually two new pages today; this is the first one.

Wow, that's brutal. Just, yikes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is such a horrible world to live in

it is also frequently a horrible world to die in

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oh cmon its no less gruesome than a regular landmine

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It actually is more gruesome because it's slower, so you have the time to feel it happening.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Oh cmon its no less gruesome than a regular landmine

Based on Ashleys comment,

Ashley posted:

Soon as a certain Material comes in contact with it - boot leather, rawhide, human skin - it lashes up with a spell to expand the Contour Aspect of any Human Blood it encounters. So your blood swells until your body gives, and you burst like a fat tick.

In my original script it was just an incendiary landmine but I thought that was a little dull for this world.

Landmines just don't cut it in the magical explosive gore factor for Unsounded :unsmigghh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Based on Ashleys comment

More like Ashley Nope, amirite?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Two comments down from her explanation of the mechanics is the question "Ashley why are you like this" and I do feel, under the circumstances, it's a fair question.

Chapter 14's subtitle should be "Or why Lemuel Adelier is not a well man"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
War sucks and is really good at making broken bodies and broken minds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Two comments down from her explanation of the mechanics is the question "Ashley why are you like this" and I do feel, under the circumstances, it's a fair question.

Chapter 14's subtitle should be "Or why Lemuel Adelier is not a well man"

remember that duane's supposed to be telling the story of an ancient two-toe deity to a bedridden and blind grandmother, who is no doubt very confused as to why he is instead going into frank detail about his younger brother's metal mental and physical mutilation

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is pretty metal isn't it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xarbala posted:

This is pretty metal isn't it

'tis

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I dunno man, I always found a specific fact of war to be pretty fuckin' gruesome. Specifically that you should aim to wound. Killing is cheap but wounding someone causes much greater damage to morale and expense so realistically your weapons should have a high casualty rate but low fatality.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably another reason the blood mines go off so slowly. It's horrible enough for the victim sure, but then you've also got the added trauma for all his friends who watch him swell up and burst over the span of several eternal seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah that's definitely a weapon meant to terrorize your enemies because gently caress that's awful.