Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

univbee posted:

Canada's been doing something similar but I think the nuances are less bad.

If I'm not mistaken, they cover your medical school tuition and then for like 5 years following your graduation they choose which part of the country you practice out of (but I think you otherwise keep all your earnings). Helps to get doctors into underserved parts of the country.

No this is "we give you a loan and we take x% of your wages for y years. Planet money did an episode on it here: https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510289/npr.streaming.adswizz.com/anon.npr-mp3/npr/pmoney/2019/03/20190329_pmoney_pmpod903.mp3

If you are unemployed but looking for work your time counts down and I think you receive no garnishment. If you get a super highly paid job you can get out of it quicker. Rates and time differ by major.

Generally it is symptomatic but I can see it being better than student loans in your shithole country under some circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I like this.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

univbee posted:

If I'm not mistaken, they cover your medical school tuition and then for like 5 years following your graduation they choose which part of the country you practice out of (but I think you otherwise keep all your earnings). Helps to get doctors into underserved parts of the country.

Cuba's medical program will accept you on the condition that you serve 2 years in a rural area in your home country. The program is tuition-free, includes room and board, and students get a stipend.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

exmachina posted:

No this is "we give you a loan and we take x% of your wages for y years. Planet money did an episode on it here: https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510289/npr.streaming.adswizz.com/anon.npr-mp3/npr/pmoney/2019/03/20190329_pmoney_pmpod903.mp3

If you are unemployed but looking for work your time counts down and I think you receive no garnishment. If you get a super highly paid job you can get out of it quicker. Rates and time differ by major.

Generally it is symptomatic but I can see it being better than student loans in your shithole country under some circumstances.

Nah, it creates messy hosed-up incentives that'll wreck the educational system. Since the cost of college isn't directly tied to the actual expenses the college faces under that model, and since the schools adopting that model are mostly private schools with no government subsidies, it provides a very strong incentive for the schools to select for students with a higher earning potential during the admissions process.

And while the first thing that pops to mind there is that they'll cut liberal arts education to barebones levels and focus exclusively on STEM degrees instead, choice of degree isn't the only factor that impacts pay after college. Skin color, gender, and socioeconomic status all impact people's pay, which will encourage the school to skew admissions toward rich white males who want to be computer programmers or businessmen. When the school gets paid based on your salary after college, that provides a very strong motive for them to discriminate against groups that tend to be on the bottom end of a wage gap.

That's all made even worse by the fact that schools using this model usually put a hard cap on how much they can take from each student, so that their percentage-based model doesn't end up raking in newsworthy piles of cash from students who hit it big and get really high-paying jobs. But that makes it an explicitly regressive funding scheme that takes a smaller effective percentage from richer graduates. Of course, by artificially limiting how much they take from the richest students, they limit their ability to use the big paydays from rich students to subsidize the education of poor students, which amounts to artificially limiting how many low-income-potential students they can afford to take.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

univbee posted:

In theory, the public loan forgiveness program should do something similar in the US: you voluntarily work in underserved areas and get your loans forgiven after 10 years of making payments and working in associated places. In practice, it fucks over everyone because the program has basically always found a way to deny the application.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/03/709656642/episode-760-tax-hero
https://priceonomics.com/the-stanford-professor-who-fought-the-tax-lobby/

In America, the way you pay your taxes is arcane and burdensome compared to the way people do it in other countries where most of the form is just pre-filled out. A professor in California tried to change this, only to be fought by the company behind turbotax (who make money off of the difficulty paying taxes). Also, once he finally managed to get politicians to listen to him, Republicans shut him down as part of the tax pledge devised by human garbage, Grover Norquist. The idea is that if paying taxes is easy and painless, people wouldn't resent taxes as much, which would damage the politicians campaigning on an anti-tax platform.

Basically, the Republicans fought to extend suffering so they could pretend to slightly alleviate it, while there is also a big business making money directly off of the suffering. Not like the most suffering, there's worse suffering out there, but it's one more way to make your life worse.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have to file in merca and it's a loving headache every time even though I owe nothing in the US, earned nothing in the US, and don't even live in the US. They screwed up an extension so I had to pay a fine even though I should have been exempt. It's so dumb.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Pretty sure sagan was a spiritual man (couched in science though it may have been) and Einstein was as well.

Not sure where anyone is getting information to the contrary.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lol, Sagan and Einstein were bleeting God botherers. What a couple of dummies.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Spiritual. They didn't believe in "God" but they believed there were forces beyond our current understanding which would blow the gently caress out of our dumb human minds. Einstein even figured a few out!

Einstein did some interviews on the subject later in life. He made it very clear that what he believed existed was nothing like any classical religions beliefs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dunno if you can be an honest theoretical physicist without acknowledging that there are goings-on beyond current human comprehension

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cuba's medical program will accept you on the condition that you serve 2 years in a rural area in your home country. The program is tuition-free, includes room and board, and students get a stipend.

I honestly cant figure out why anybody goes for American medical schools for their pick. I know the programs in Havana are difficult to get in to, but uh, its one of the best medical schools in the world lol. And it's cheaper. I dunno if the AMA accepts Cuban certification though, I guess that would be a pretty big barrier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to practice medicine in the US you need a US residency and there aren’t even enough residencies for US graduates

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Larry Parrish posted:

I honestly cant figure out why anybody goes for American medical schools for their pick. I know the programs in Havana are difficult to get in to, but uh, its one of the best medical schools in the world lol. And it's cheaper. I dunno if the AMA accepts Cuban certification though, I guess that would be a pretty big barrier

They have a specific program for Americans to make it so you can practice in the states.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Pretty sure sagan was a spiritual man (couched in science though it may have been) and Einstein was as well.

Not sure where anyone is getting information to the contrary.

Sagan was legit pretty cool and I would regret using him as a symbol of institutional forces but I never regret my posts

But yes, Sagan exemplified a form of spirituality that was legit and cool, though it's not what he's better known for

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
How do I regain spirituality in my life if I don't believe in spirits or God?

Like, I feel like stuff like this VV is pretty profound and poetic, but it's not magic either.

A cold materialist posted:

The cosmos is full beyond measure of elegant truths; of exquisite interrelationships; of the awesome machinery of nature. The surface of the Earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean. On this shore we've learned most of what we know. Recently we've waded a little way out, maybe ankle deep, and the water seems inviting. Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return. And we can. Because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

redsniper posted:

Like, I feel like stuff like this VV is pretty profound and poetic, but it's not magic either.

learn to believe in sports and superstition will follow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
do mushrooms

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Suffer a minor case of serious brain damage.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

redsniper posted:

you don't have to believe in spirits, god, or any woo-woo tbh

take shrooms and devote yourself to the human soul >:E

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno if you can be an honest theoretical physicist without acknowledging that there are goings-on beyond current human comprehension

There is an entire book about this called The Quantum Enigma and it turns out my physicists simple ignore the things they don’t like and pretend they are not strange

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lactose Is Wack posted:

There is an entire book about this called The Quantum Enigma and it turns out my physicists simple ignore the things they don’t like and pretend they are not strange

yeah some scientists become sam harris and make everyone else look like assholes

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Syria gettin wild with their weapons

Appears to be a PKM hooked up to some sort tv screen to allow the gunner to see without exposing himself

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Suffer a minor case of serious brain damage.

but im already american

Shear Modulus posted:

we might not be able to explain in formulae exactly what's going on within atoms or obscure biology or dark matter, but it doesnt mean magic did it

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

got any sevens posted:

but im already american

we might not be able to explain in formulae exactly what's going on within atoms or obscure biology or dark matter, but it doesnt mean magic did it

There's no such thing as magic, but there's absolutely unknowables. Dealing with them requires either a level of spirituality or pretending they don't exist. In so much as spirituality is your ability to believe in things without hard evidence. As if you dig into anything deep enough you'll absolutely run out of hard evidence.

*Just brain farts*

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got any sevens posted:

but im already american

theres no luminous aether but there are about a billion unsolved problems in physics. fundamental questions about the nature of spacetime and causality or whatever are dealing with the same world of questions that theology tries to answer. cutting-edge experiments are giving people a peek into a layer of the universe that is completely beyond our ability to observe with our senses, and in fact the actual universe in which we live is but a product of higgs bosons or whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pidgin Englishman posted:

There's no such thing as magic, but there's absolutely unknowables. Dealing with them requires either a level of spirituality or pretending they don't exist. In so much as spirituality is your ability to believe in things without hard evidence. As if you dig into anything deep enough you'll absolutely run out of hard evidence.

*Just brain farts*

I dont know why my house isn't plumetting into the earth but I'm sure enough that there's poo poo like rocks and dinosaurs and Brendan Frasier down there holding it up, and that if i put in enough effort and had a TheCore vehicle I'd figure out what's down there. Just because I don't know for sure doesn't mean I assume it's magic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, I loved it when I opened up my lunch bag as a kid and my mom had splurged and packed me an Unknowables.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, I loved it when I opened up my lunch bag as a kid and my mom had splurged and packed me an Unknowables.

i do not understand anything anymore

i get that the mystery part is the joke but the kabobulator is real

no country for old men

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Apr 9, 2019

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
People keep throwing out the word magic and I'm not really sure what they mean by it or what relevance it has.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

if this is real, the why haven’t I seen the Goatse photoshop yet?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Looks like a tortilla, shredded cheese and a stick of over processed salami. Wowzers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Outrail posted:

Looks like a tortilla, shredded cheese and a stick of over processed salami. Wowzers.

sounds like a standard lunchable

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shear Modulus posted:

sounds like a standard lunchable

You can't know that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Outrail posted:

You can't know that.

How can you know enough about it to declare that it can't be known, because if it can't be known then you can't. Paradoxical and inconvenient.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

silentsnack posted:

How can you know enough about it to declare that it can't be known, because if it can't be known then you can't. Paradoxical and inconvenient.

Because an unknown unknown is a known unknowable.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Outrail posted:

I have to file in merca and it's a loving headache every time even though I owe nothing in the US, earned nothing in the US, and don't even live in the US. They screwed up an extension so I had to pay a fine even though I should have been exempt. It's so dumb.

I just filed my Dutch taxes and will be filing my American taxes here shortly. If I could speak Dutch I would have finished them in 15-20 minutes and that’s with mortgage stuff and everything. My US taxes will take longer and I haven’t even lived there for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Lactose Is Wack posted:

Looking at synopsis, it seems as if the books has more to do with the absolute poo poo job physicists do explaining what they're talking about than anything else. Unfortunately, what they mean when they say "observation" has nothing to do with what it sounds like when they say it. It just means that quantum systems are delicate and only have specific values for certain things we want to measure after they've been disturbed sufficiently by interaction with another system. The fact that we can't even observe quantum systems directly with our perceptions should have been a huge clue to this- it would imply that reality didn't even exist until the early 20th Century.

What really bugs me about physicists, and other scientists operating in fields such as the psychology of consciousness, is how they aggressive they are about looking at evidence which suggest some conclusion is a possible interpretation and then eagerly talk to the public as if that result is certain, without acknowledging that there are alternate interpretations and strong criticisms from within their field, that theirs is not tested, that the role of interpretation in science is to generate new hypothesis to be tested and that their untested interpretation is in fact no more valid than saying "god did it," and in some important recent cases involving cosmic inflation and the idea of a multiverse, that the conclusions they've drawn are unfalsifiable and their argument is actually that we should effectively give up and abandon science entirely in key areas of cosmology.

Meanwhile, most of their peers actually acknowledge the limits of their methods and evidence, but don't get nearly as much attention because they have a sense of responsibility and argue from evidence instead of their own institutional authority.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Apr 9, 2019