Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not afraid :colbert:

At least (most of) Radical Action is on Apple Music

As far as I can tell, the LIVE stuff post 2014 is fair game, but is anything before then online by agreement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
2000s Crimson is so underrated imo. Some real gnarly, aggressive stuff in there which is when KC are at their best (FraKctured and Level Five are just :stonk: ), cool glitchy electronic drums that make them sound almost drum&bass-like and as always some great live stuff - EleKtrik is definitely one of their top live albums. There's no one else who ever made any music that quite sounds like that era of KC.

Plus I'll always respect Fripp for continually trying to "move their sound forward" instead of just rehashing Schizoid Man for 50 years. Even though Schizoid Man is literally the best song ever.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

cgfreak posted:

2000s Crimson is so underrated imo. Some real gnarly, aggressive stuff in there which is when KC are at their best (FraKctured and Level Five are just :stonk: ), cool glitchy electronic drums that make them sound almost drum&bass-like and as always some great live stuff - EleKtrik is definitely one of their top live albums. There's no one else who ever made any music that quite sounds like that era of KC.

Plus I'll always respect Fripp for continually trying to "move their sound forward" instead of just rehashing Schizoid Man for 50 years. Even though Schizoid Man is literally the best song ever.

Yeah I really like that dark sound and I agree nothing sounds like it.

Makes me think of Nuages and Industry off ToaPP. I really enjoy the atmospheres in those tracks, it's quite unique.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Anil Prasad is at the *nine* hour KC50 press event, and posted this on FB:

Anil Prasad posted:

Today’s focus is attending a King Crimson 50th anniversary media event in London, running across 9 hours. Four hours involves Robert Fripp addressing attendees and taking questions. The first two hours have been extraordinary with great depth and sensitivity applied to many topics by Robert.

A little news: Theo Travis has been announced as King Crimson’s ninth man, joining the group on keyboards for its forthcoming tour while Bill Rieflin focuses on family matters. I’ll have more to say later and will weave together some of this material into a piece.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hell yes but now put it on streaming thanks.

Ask and ye shall receive.

quote:

At a press event in London on Saturday, King Crimson manager David Singleton announced that the band’s entire studio-album catalog will soon launch on Spotify. Describing the move as part of an “outreach year” for the band, Singleton said the albums are set to begin streaming in time for the avant-rock legends’ upcoming 50th anniversary tour.

Singleton said that the band’s 13 studio albums — from 1969’s In the Court of the Crimson King through 2003’s The Power to Believe — would roll out on other streaming platforms in May before arriving on Spotify on June 10th, the day King Crimson kick off their world tour in Leipzig, Germany.
“The reason we’ve been slow on Spotify is that, unlike apparently the whole of the rest of the industry that’s been telling us that physical is dead, we’ve had rising physical sales for probably the last 10 years,” Singleton said, referring to titles issued via the band’s own DGM label. “But that argument was valid for a while, and it isn’t anymore.”

He went on to say that, at this point, the pros of streaming outweigh the cons. “In the end, our prime function is to serve the music and make the music available, and Spotify has now definitely become one of the places that people, particularly younger people, find music.”

RDreamer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 7, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm so loving happy about this news :swoon: I've been listening to music almost exclusively through Spotify the last couple years, so when I want to hear a KC song, I've had to search YouTube for it. This will make things so much easier.

e: https://twitter.com/rickthelai/status/1114900396621713409

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 7, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:vince:

yessssssssssss

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Did anything else come out of that day long press conference?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

teen bear posted:

Did anything else come out of that day long press conference?

Poor Bill. :(

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/king-crimson-robert-fripp-press-conference-819254/

Ouch.

quote:

But one of Saturday’s most striking moments came when Fripp described his dissatisfaction with the Crimson ProjeKCt tour that featured Stick Men (a band including current Crimson members Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto) and the Adrian Belew Power Trio. He went to see the group at London’s Shepherd’s Bush Empire in March of 2014, feeling “very excited,” and as he put it, “prepared to jump up and down and shout out loud, demanding for ‘Schizoid Man.” But his mood soon took a turn.

“What I saw with the excellent Stick Men, the excellent Adrian Belew Power Trio, and of all the King Crimson music they played, they had the notes and none of the music,” Fripp said. “In other words King Crimson had not left the building; King Crimson had not even entered the building. And I was angry.” Here he gritted his teeth to totally un-comedic effect and repeated, “I was angry.“

“And I walked out of the Shepherd’s Bush Empire wishing never, ever again to play a note of King Crimson,” he said. “Awful. Two great trios and nothing to do with King Crimson.” Of course he would relaunch Crimson soon after, but he said, “it was a hard choice, because I was really hosed off.”

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They put up FraKctured from the remaster with re-recorded drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aecG7-S3l8Q

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Eh, I honestly don't care for it that much. It's a bit too busy and feels disconnected from the vibe of the original track in the way that rerecorded parts often do, and the beginning and ending sections really didn't need an added drum part.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Eh, I honestly don't care for it that much. It's a bit too busy and feels disconnected from the vibe of the original track in the way that rerecorded parts often do, and the beginning and ending sections really didn't need an added drum part.

I’m honestly kinda iffy on it too but I’ll give the whole thing an honest chance. It does change the mood quite a bit. The electronic drums gave it a kind of sterile feel throughout the album, which I think worked well enough.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yowsa, where can I find more albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys?

It hits a lot of my buttons. Specifically:
  • Folk instrumentation
  • Well-thought-out orchestral arrangements (as opposed to some cello hits)
  • Long, meandering songs that aren't repetitive
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo
  • Emotionally expressive vocals

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hammer Bro. posted:

• Folk instrumentation
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo

You may like Laurie Anderson. Particularly Mister Heartbreak

Edit: Perhaps you may also consider Joni Mitchell? Give Hejira a spin and see what it does for you.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2019

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Edit: Perhaps you may also consider Joni Mitchell? Give Hejira a spin and see what it does for you.

Mister Heartbreak is so good, and the associated film Home of the Brave is by far my favorite concert film.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Newsom was inspired by Roy Harper's album Stormcock, so that would be my first recommendation—it meets all of those criteria. I'd also look into psychedelic and progressive folk in general. First Utterance by Comus is essential.

Renaissance didn't really have dense, esoteric lyrics, but they excelled at everything else you listed, and I think you'd enjoy them, even if they're probably a bit lighter in tone than what you're looking for. I recommend starting with either Novella or Turn of the Cards, but I'd recommend without reservations all of their albums from Ashes are Burning through A Song for All Seasons.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

XBenedict posted:

Haha, thus far Mister Heartbreak wasn't what I was expecting but it's definitely holding my attention. I've even heard Excellent Birds before. (The '80s were a weird time.)

I get moderate Kate Bush's The Hounds of Love vibes from it; there's a chance you may enjoy that one.

I swear I must've heard some Joni Mitchell growing up but I can't pull any to mind so I'll look her up too.

Rollersnake posted:

Newsom was inspired by Roy Harper's album Stormcock, so that would be my first recommendation—it meets all of those criteria. I'd also look into psychedelic and progressive folk in general. First Utterance by Comus is essential.

Renaissance didn't really have dense, esoteric lyrics, but they excelled at everything else you listed, and I think you'd enjoy them, even if they're probably a bit lighter in tone than what you're looking for. I recommend starting with either Novella or Turn of the Cards, but I'd recommend without reservations all of their albums from Ashes are Burning through A Song for All Seasons.

Noted and noted, though I feel like I've plumbed the depths of prog folk pretty well.

Oh yeah! I adore Scheherazade and Other Stories, though I don't think any of their other albums ever clicked with me. Though that was a while ago. I think I may even have Ashes are Burning in my dusty vinyl pile; I'll go root around.

Edit: While I'm at it, Jack o' the Clock's Repetitions of the Old City - I is superb.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 16, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

• Folk instrumentation
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo

Dare I recommend Current 93? Thunder Perfect Mind, Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre, or All the Pretty Little Horses would hit that mark.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I swear I must've heard some Joni Mitchell growing up but I can't pull any to mind so I'll look her up.

It was Big Yellow Taxi. I promise.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Joni Mitchell has always been a favorite of mine. I recommend Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, Court and Spark and Blue.

Listening to Joanna Newsom for the first time right now and I really dig it. Her voice reminds me of that husky old time jazz style like Carol Channing/Phyllus Marshall (the lady that played catgut in the Muppets Musicians of Bremen). Also getting some Melanie vibes. Really takes me back to my youth.

Also if you like Annie Haslam of Renaissance, you might like Maddy Prior. She has a similar folky/classical voice. She sang The song of Hiawatha on Mike Oldfield's Incantations.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 18, 2019

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hammer Bro. posted:

• Folk instrumentation
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo

1000% check out My Brightest Diamond

One of the more complex tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYS4CYF4Y1Q

A bit more straightforward/rocky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrmaLFIh1w

Other super good cuts of hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFne6WJHdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNd6P2W9c2I

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

• Folk instrumentation
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo

The guy who recommended Current 93 is spot on(and check out Sleep Has His House in addition to the albums he mentioned) but since this is the prog thread you should probably also listen to Comus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGTBLeBXnE

e: Spirogyra is also worth checking out although not as wild as Comus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8cIQ0UYxxc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It took me forever to “get” Newsom. My partner would put on an album and it would hit me the wrong way immediately. Last time we listened to her I read the lyrics and really listened to what was going on with the music and it clicked with me. She’s an incredibly unique talent. Interestingly enough Current 93 was that way when I first heard his music and now I’ve been a huge fan for years. The comparison sounded strange to me at first but I totally get it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Current 93 adjacent to neo-Nazis in some way? I feel like I keep hearing that rumbling but nothing specific.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't Current 93 adjacent to neo-Nazis in some way? I feel like I keep hearing that rumbling but nothing specific.

Death In June isn’t racist, don’t worry. You’re safe.

e: that comes off as sarcastic and smug but I wasn’t trying to be

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

XBenedict posted:

You may like Laurie Anderson.

initially read this as "Louie Anderson"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Hahaha, I can perfectly imagine O Superman sung in his voice.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There was a phase where Death In June's Doug P. and a similar crowd were collaborating quite closely with Tibet, but Tibet collaborated with everyone he came across - his association with Nurse With Wound and Coil were more sustained and Doug and crew largely drifted away from the Coil/Nurse/C93 crowd when the latter got wise to their deal.

(Doug claims it's because Tibet was palling around with Tiny Tim, who Doug couldn't abide due to Tim's homophobia... Except Doug kept being buds with Boyd Rice, who was as close to Tim if not closer. Also, note the irony of Doug "Death In June" Pearce advocating shunning people for obnoxious beliefs.)

There's an entire song on Thunder Perfect Mind which can be summarised as "Doug, I love you, but this Nazi thing is kind of a weird obsession with you".

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

David Tibet was never into that stuff even though some of the people he collabed with in the 80s/early 90s were, and he's been doing his own thing separate from those people for like 20 years at this point.

Warthur posted:

There was a phase where Death In June's Doug P. and a similar crowd were collaborating quite closely with Tibet, but Tibet collaborated with everyone he came across - his association with Nurse With Wound and Coil were more sustained and Doug and crew largely drifted away from the Coil/Nurse/C93 crowd when the latter got wise to their deal.

(Doug claims it's because Tibet was palling around with Tiny Tim, who Doug couldn't abide due to Tim's homophobia... Except Doug kept being buds with Boyd Rice, who was as close to Tim if not closer. Also, note the irony of Doug "Death In June" Pearce advocating shunning people for obnoxious beliefs.)
that was one explanation given(i think the one given by tibet, it's mentioned in england's hidden reverse) but doug p has talked about a few things relating to the collapse of world serpent being a factor as well. in any case they haven't been on speaking terms for about 15 years.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Death In June isn’t racist, don’t worry. You’re safe.

e: that comes off as sarcastic and smug but I wasn’t trying to be
he's probably not a literal nazi like some people assume but he is a white nationalist who moved to australia because the uk was getting too multicultural for him. more concerning however is the fact that every death in june release since about 2000 or so has been incredibly bad, just godawful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

he's probably not a literal nazi like some people assume but he is a white nationalist who moved to australia because the uk was getting too multicultural for him. more concerning however is the fact that every death in june release since about 2000 or so has been incredibly bad, just godawful.

Really? I never heard about that. I always assumed his weirdness was just, well, weirdness. He’s an odd person but I never thought he was a white nationalist by any means.

& yeah I haven’t listened to much since then but I haven’t been inspired by much of it if any. Not sure what he’s going for or if he’s just bored or what. Oh well, he made enough great music before.

e: http://www.whomakesthenazis.com/2013/09/queers-to-shut-down-death-in-june-in.html?m=1 hmm well

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 19, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A human heart posted:

I'd put the cutoff at Rose Clouds of Holocaust, which incidentally is also the last DIJ album to include contributions from Tibet and Cashmore and other C93 folk, which strongly suggests that without a decent musical partner carrying him there isn't much to Doug P.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Warthur posted:

I'd put the cutoff at Rose Clouds of Holocaust, which incidentally is also the last DIJ album to include contributions from Tibet and Cashmore and other C93 folk, which strongly suggests that without a decent musical partner carrying him there isn't much to Doug P.

That's been my impression as well. The earlier material had other contributors too, like Tony Wakeford for the post punk era and Patrick Leagas on Nada(there's a solo album he did which has new versions of like half the Nada songs which suggests he had a lot of input).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The prog-rock/jazz/drum corps collaboration you didn't know you wanted has returned!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrz6RPSww0

(Bluecoats is the same corps that put a Thank You Scientist song in their show in 2017.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I missed The Tangent's 2018 album, Proxy, and it's a real good one. Here's the opening track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRRQw3tyar0

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I dunno if I'd call it prog but Estas Tonne's The Inside Movie is an uninterrupted two-hour, one-guitar noodlefest that's right up my alley.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Theo Travis was to step in for Bill Rieflin but Fripp announced on FB they are going out as a septet instead, so no Theo. :(

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Theo Travis was to step in for Bill Rieflin but Fripp announced on FB they are going out as a septet instead, so no Theo. :(

Does that mean no keyboards...?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Colonel J posted:

Does that mean no keyboards...?

Jeremy Stacey plays good keyboards... no fairy dusting though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single