Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey guys, thinking about getting back into drums. Used to play super casually back in high school and loved it. I still air drum and play other instruments, so I have some measure of limb control/Independence and overall music ability.

I was thinking of getting a drum practice pad, a rudiments book, and just plopping away with a metronome. I live in a large apartment complex, so I don't think an acoustic or electronic drum set is feasible for the moment. There are some places that you can rent a drum room for a few hours so I might try to do that a couple of times a week.

Anyone have any other suggestions for ways I can start to practice and get involved? YouTube series to watch/books to buy/etc? I'm mainly interested in playing metal drums, but I also do enjoy a bunch of other genres and want to keep my horizons open. Open to any kinda of suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
drumeo, Mike Johnston, Stephen Clark, Adam Tuminaro, Emmanuelle Caplette, drum beats online all have a ton of free content, usually with the sheet music on youtube so you don't have to signup for their premium stuff. You''ll see suggestions for other great channels too. A ton of drum line websites also have audition pamphlets that have warmups and intermediate exercises you can work on if you prefer written music instead of video lessons.

I wouldn't even bother buying a rudiment book since you can get it all for free, plus youtube demos are just that much better. If you're dead set on one, there's Rudimental Logic by Bill Bachman.

Prologix makes a pretty quiet pad called the blue lightning. It's basically a super thick old school mouse pad. You really have to hammer on it to make it audible between walls/floors. The rebound is pretty low compared to a real drum and other pads out there, but it should keep you in the clear with your neighbors.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 22, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Stick Control is the One True rudaments book IMO, and to ricecult's questions Syncopation for the Modern Drummer would probably give you enough material to chew on for years.

ricecult posted:

Thanks everyone who's given more advice, this post is what I've been looking for! I've been working on it very heavily for just a few days and I'm getting there, but I'm going to keep these pointers in mind because this all makes sense to me as particular strategies.

If you have one poly in particular that you're working on, try finding a song that uses it. It isn't quite the same, but I'd never be able to wrap my head around looping non-regular time signatures without musical examples.

29:8 (3 bars of 7:8, 1 bar of 8:8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mDQNRs5JCs

13:4 (3 bars of 3:4, 1 bar of 4:4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTIWzR2pifc

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I'm thinking of getting something like a DD75 to make practice sessions a little more interesting. I also have carpet on my bedroom floor so I'm thinking of getting an actual kick pedals + an electronic bass drum pad. I'm wondering, are electronic bass drum pads interchangeable? If I buy a Roland kick drum pad (like a Roland KD-10/KD-9), can I use that with the Yamaha DD75? Or are all the connections/signals vendor specific?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm the opposite of a gearhead. Can any of you tell me anything about this kit? All I got is Tama, 12(X12?), 14x14, 18(x14?), 14(x5.5? x6.5?). Seems older since they don't do the lug casing all the way across anymore. Considering buying it since it's super cheap and I've been looking for an 18 bass drum, but I also kinda hate the wrap. Would that be a pain/expensive to redo?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2019

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

My guess would be Tama Rockstar just based on the double ended lugs.

As for wrapping, I did my vintage Imperialstar about a year ago and I pretty much just got it done over a weekend. The most time consuming part was scraping the old glue off so that the new wrap would sit properly without gaps. It cost me about $300 CAD for a set of wraps to go on my kit (13x9, 16x16, 24x14) but I was able to just pick it up from the guy so I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I pretty much went by these two videos as rewrapping tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgD2ZlVPjys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MOwJyI0UjE

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

but I also kinda hate the wrap. Would that be a pain/expensive to redo?

That's definitely an ol rockstar™ of some sort - I'm guessing probably early/mid 2000's

Refinishing: nope the wood under there is gonna look like poo poo
Rewrapping: knock yourself out.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

update: the guy selling it said he was moving out of state today, and he ended up ghosting me. would've been a killer kit for 175$, oh well

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Bummer. My first acoustic kit was an Imperialstar (hairline blue wrap, 2015 model I think). I didn't like the Meinl cymbals it came with but the drums themselves and all the hardware were solid. Still using the small tom and snare after upgrading my toms and bass to bigger shells.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
$175? Yeah that's pretty decent.

175 and suddenly moving? Mmmmhmmmm

175, "moving", and was this via craigslist? Stolen. :v:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Any recommendations for small space practicing? Just moved, have my jazz kit, nowhere to set it up, in apartment and starting to play with a group. They have a space but it’s a guy’s basement so can’t use it beyond rehearsals with them. I’ve heard of these mesh practice heads but again, no room to set up my kit and that sounds like a pain to swap out every time you gig.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

Any recommendations for small space practicing? Just moved, have my jazz kit, nowhere to set it up, in apartment and starting to play with a group. They have a space but it’s a guy’s basement so can’t use it beyond rehearsals with them. I’ve heard of these mesh practice heads but again, no room to set up my kit and that sounds like a pain to swap out every time you gig.

I've had great success with mute pads, bass mute, and optionally a set of L80 cymbals. Expensive set up, but you could probably find a few DIY alternatives since the muting pads are basically just big mousepads.

EDIT: The space issue could be mitigated with something like this, with one of these. Or just set the kick pedal against something sturdy and use a regular practice pad.

Nebraska Tim fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 2, 2019

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Practice pad in a snare stand, bass drum practice pad w/double bass pedal (left foot is hi hat). I've been doing this for like a year now and just checking stuff on a kit at rehearsals and it's been working for 95% of what I do

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I thought I had seen that practice pad tree before. Honestly I feel like a practice pad and a kick pad would probably do the trick just to practice some coordination before rehearsals

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Is there a certain technique that drummers use to do extremely fast one handed rolls? In the song "Reign of Darkness" by Thy Art is Murder, for example, there's a really fast blast beat that I can't even begin to fathom playing. I know that there's the trick of using the rim to do gravity blast style things, but the youtube covers I found online weren't using that technique. Is it just incredibly fast finger motion, or is there something more to it? Alternating fingers?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

Is there a certain technique that drummers use to do extremely fast one handed rolls? In the song "Reign of Darkness" by Thy Art is Murder, for example, there's a really fast blast beat that I can't even begin to fathom playing. I know that there's the trick of using the rim to do gravity blast style things, but the youtube covers I found online weren't using that technique. Is it just incredibly fast finger motion, or is there something more to it? Alternating fingers?

Technique is my specialty!

This guy is using mostly finger technique, with a little radial-ulnar rotation.

This guy is using almost entirely wrist (and will likely develop an RSI)

This guy is using mostly finger technique with a little bit of wrist.

This gal is using elbow and fingers (and is super tense in general, yikes!)

I'm guessing this is the original drummer? He's using mostly fingers, with a little bit of wrist, and maybe some rotation. Great technique and looseness.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jazz Marimba posted:

Technique is my specialty!

This guy is using mostly finger technique, with a little radial-ulnar rotation.

This guy is using almost entirely wrist (and will likely develop an RSI)

This guy is using mostly finger technique with a little bit of wrist.

This gal is using elbow and fingers (and is super tense in general, yikes!)

I'm guessing this is the original drummer? He's using mostly fingers, with a little bit of wrist, and maybe some rotation. Great technique and looseness.

Thanks! Is there a video or a resource that explains how to use some of these movements, like radial-ulnar rotation? It sounds like getting to those speeds is just a matter of hard work and practice and there's no special technique used to get rapid fire one hand rolls (outside of the gravity blast technique).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno if this random video I saw yesterday helps but I had fun watching it so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqhv8MhuL4

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks! Is there a video or a resource that explains how to use some of these movements, like radial-ulnar rotation? It sounds like getting to those speeds is just a matter of hard work and practice and there's no special technique used to get rapid fire one hand rolls (outside of the gravity blast technique).

Not that I know of. I went out of my way to study kinesiology at a local college several years ago. Even got to do the final project--a multi-joint movement analysis--on drumming. Not sure where that is anymore :(

Grab a doorknob (not the flat handles that are somewhat common). Turn it. That's radioulnar rotation. The radioulnar joint is ~1" past your elbow (towards your hand) on the thumb side. Traditional grip primarily uses radioulnar rotation, a moderate amount of fingers, and a little bit of wrist.

Adding on to something Dom Famularo said in the lesson Siivola linked, practice traditional grip, even if you don't use it; it forces you to learn how to use different techniques (radioulnar rotation) that you will then use in your preferred grip.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jazz Marimba posted:

Grab a doorknob (not the flat handles that are somewhat common). Turn it. That's radioulnar rotation. The radioulnar joint is ~1" past your elbow (towards your hand) on the thumb side. Traditional grip primarily uses radioulnar rotation, a moderate amount of fingers, and a little bit of wrist.

I use that same doorhandle analogy to help teach students working on 4 mallet Stevens grip to twist with their inside mallets! Though to be fair it's probably something I picked up from Giff Howarth or his book. https://www.tapspace.com/books-education/simply-four

I highly doubt that's a rabbit hole you'd want to go down Wind, but learning to manipulate 2 mallets in each hand is immensely helpful in isolating and working all the different muscle groups from your elbows down: forearm, wrist, fingers, etc. Although if there ever was a metal drummer who went out and bought 4 identical yarn mallets to work on his or her blast beats, well, that'd be a drummer I'd like to listen to. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Well great, now I wanna hear blast beats on a marimba

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Well great, now I wanna hear blast beats on a marimba

Not quite blast beats, but 8 mallets is totally a thing

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody know about identifying old kits? I'm thinking about selling mine as it's just been collecting dust for the past 15 years. I bought it second hand for $500 in 2002, and I have no idea where it came from before that.

It's a silver/grey five piece Tama Imperialstar kit with the T badge and 6 digit serial numbers. Cursory googling says they might be from the late 70s or early 80s, because Tama started including the year of manufacture with 8 digit serial numbers in 1982. The snare mechanism is stamped with "Tama Diwari Asahi Aichi Japan." Other than that, I don't know how to date/ID them. They need new heads and a good dusting, but they're in mostly good condition.

I was thinking about throwing the whole thing up on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks, but then I started googling the individual parts, and it looks like they're worth a lot more if you piece everything out. I know shipping would be a pain in the rear end, but an identical-looking snare recently sold for $200 shipped, a floor tom for $300, etc.

Other pieces I've got lying around:

Zildjian ZBT Plus 16" China
Unbranded 20" Ride (Edit: Upon further inspection, there's a tiny Zildjian Constantinople stamp hidden on the rim of both the crash and the ride)
Unbranded 16" Crash
Paiste 2002 14" Medium Hats
Yamaha SD265 Snare
Tama Swingstar Rack Tom

Any advice on where to start is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Best photo I could get of the stamp on the cymbals:

It's almost impossible to read with the naked eye, but I think it says
MADE IN U.S.A.
[Arabic]
A.Zildjian & Co.
Constantinople
Cymbals

Looks like they're from 73-87. https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-an-avedis-zildjian-cymbal

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2019

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
I'm considering taking up drums and I have a few questions to clear up before I take the plunge and put money into a kit.

Due to my living situation (fairly small house with a wife and neighbors that I don't want to annoy), I will need to keep it quiet for the most part. Initially I was eyeing the Roland TD-1DMK electric kit which seems to be well regarded as an entry kit.

But I really prefer the idea of an acoustic kit for a number of reasons (cooler, sounds better, what I ultimately want to play). I've seen a lot of products like the RTOM Blackhole, Remo Silentstroke, Zildjian quiet cymbals etc that seems like they'd allow me to keep the feel of an acoustic kit while keeping the noise down, and when I'm able to play at full volume I can remove them and do that. I ultimately want to learn metal drumming and blast beats and it just seems like electronic drums wouldn't be good for that.

That second option of the dampened acoustic kit sounds good to me - you can't beat the real thing. But I wanted to check this thread's opinions and experiences with this decision. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

PosteriorChain posted:

I'm considering taking up drums and I have a few questions to clear up before I take the plunge and put money into a kit.

Due to my living situation (fairly small house with a wife and neighbors that I don't want to annoy), I will need to keep it quiet for the most part. Initially I was eyeing the Roland TD-1DMK electric kit which seems to be well regarded as an entry kit.

But I really prefer the idea of an acoustic kit for a number of reasons (cooler, sounds better, what I ultimately want to play). I've seen a lot of products like the RTOM Blackhole, Remo Silentstroke, Zildjian quiet cymbals etc that seems like they'd allow me to keep the feel of an acoustic kit while keeping the noise down, and when I'm able to play at full volume I can remove them and do that. I ultimately want to learn metal drumming and blast beats and it just seems like electronic drums wouldn't be good for that.

That second option of the dampened acoustic kit sounds good to me - you can't beat the real thing. But I wanted to check this thread's opinions and experiences with this decision. Can anyone weigh in on this?

The guitarist from the mathmetal band I'm in has that exact e-kit, so I use it every week at rehearsal. You won't be able to learn gravity blasts on it due to the size and material of the pads and the rims, and the cymbals are a bit low on rebound and might make blast beats difficult/impossible, but it's a great kit overall.

On those goals, I'd highly recommend an acoustic kit and investing in soundproofing a room for practice (which will reduce the volume, but not eliminate it). FWIW my roommate plays contemporary jazz (kinda loud) and lined the walls and ceiling of his practice room with acoustic foam and yeah it reduced the sound transfer, but I can still hear every note he plays if I'm in the living room (right above his practice room). Definitely would be annoying to a non-musician.

I haven't used any of the silencing methods, but Stephen Clark compared three of them. tl;dr get the RTOMs

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

Jazz Marimba posted:

The guitarist from the mathmetal band I'm in has that exact e-kit, so I use it every week at rehearsal. You won't be able to learn gravity blasts on it due to the size and material of the pads and the rims, and the cymbals are a bit low on rebound and might make blast beats difficult/impossible, but it's a great kit overall.

On those goals, I'd highly recommend an acoustic kit and investing in soundproofing a room for practice (which will reduce the volume, but not eliminate it). FWIW my roommate plays contemporary jazz (kinda loud) and lined the walls and ceiling of his practice room with acoustic foam and yeah it reduced the sound transfer, but I can still hear every note he plays if I'm in the living room (right above his practice room). Definitely would be annoying to a non-musician.

I haven't used any of the silencing methods, but Stephen Clark compared three of them. tl;dr get the RTOMs

Thanks for the info! Yeah I think the acoustic set is the way to go. I'll look into that and the sound dampening.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Getting the best out of "Progressive Steps to Syncopation"? Play it like it is written (A = bass; E = snare) and try to alternate hands in the pattern?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So my 4 year old has been consistently asking for a drumset for half a year now, which means I'm legitimately considering getting him something for, say, his fifth birthday. Why can't he play the viola like me??

I don't see much in the way of small kits on CL nearby, so I'm wondering what might make sense for something off Amazon (or another site if it makes more sense, or maybe physical store?)

Just wondering if folks have any advice for young kids specifically. I sure am looking forward to waking up to it, yep.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

silvergoose posted:

So my 4 year old has been consistently asking for a drumset for half a year now, which means I'm legitimately considering getting him something for, say, his fifth birthday. Why can't he play the viola like me??

I don't see much in the way of small kits on CL nearby, so I'm wondering what might make sense for something off Amazon (or another site if it makes more sense, or maybe physical store?)

Just wondering if folks have any advice for young kids specifically. I sure am looking forward to waking up to it, yep.

I asked the same question a few months back and didn't get a response; but from poking about elsewhere on the internet your options are basically to buy a "kids" kit of which there are many in varying quality from awful toy crap to some quite decent things which could be slowly upgradeable (better heads, cymbals, pedal, snare etc) as needed, or a small-sized adult kit (18" kick) which will probably be better quality again.

Or get an electric kit, which might help with noise, but that's a whole other debate.

What's your budget like?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Good question. Probably aiming in the 100ish range since, y'know, who knows if he really truly will play it, but I'm open to higher if that only means crap.

Knowing options would be good basically. I think non electric for now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, yeah. It's sort of a tough question! In order to find something suitably sized for a kid younger than middle school age, you're probably only going to be able to find what essentially amounts to a toy kit. I don't even know if any of the major brands (Pearl, Tama, DW, etc.) make drum kits for kids, but even if they do I would advise against ponying up for one.

My advice is to go ahead and go cheap for something like this. Worst case scenario your kid is actually pretty drat good and quickly outgrows whatever you buy them, and THEN you can maybe look into something nicer. But IMO the joy of playing a drum set for the first time consists of having a pedal that goes BOOM, a hi-hat that goes CHIK, and a snare that is nice and loud. Toms and cymbals may all sound like poo poo as well and it won't matter, because it's the limb independence, chops, and coordination that your kid is going to be working on as a beginner to drum set, and tbh that can be done on some pots and pans.

And if the toms and snare are just way too loud or obnoxiously tuned, there's always moon gel or, the poor man's version, taping some paper towels to the heads.

I hope this makes sense! And if anyone disagrees, please feel free to speak up—this is just my point of view.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sugarfoot Moffett (Michael Jackson's drummer) started out with only a snare and then got gifted more and more parts of a kit every Christmas.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

silvergoose posted:

Good question. Probably aiming in the 100ish range since, y'know, who knows if he really truly will play it, but I'm open to higher if that only means crap.

Personally I'd want to avoid anything that doesn't have a proper configuration of (at least) bass, snare, high tom, floor tom, hats and cymbal. So something like this piece of poo poo would be right out.

This sort of thing feels much better, and the separate cymbal stand (rather than mounting from the bass drum on a flimsy piece of crap) is a particular selling point for me. The quality isn't going to be amazing for that money but at least everything will be in the right place and somewhat tuneable (low number of lugs is slightly concerning but as people have said above moon gel and/or gaffer tape can work wonders.)

Beyond that you're looking at spending a bunch more money on a kit from a decent named manufacturer, probably not worth it unless your kid is really going to get into it long-term. There is some cool stuff out there though if they're getting serious in a few years time and you want to upgrade.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I posted in this thread a bit back about wanting an inexpensive electronic drum kit to make basic riffs for Superior Drummer 3. I didn't end up getting anything at the time for various reasons, but a combination of having reward bucks I needed to use at a specific store before they expired, a good deal, and the wife deciding she was really interested in playing drums, I ended up going whole hog and ordering a Roland TD-17KV along with an assortment of sticks, a throne, bass pedal, and so forth. Probably completely ridiculous, but I've always wanted to play the drums since I was like, 4 years old, and I'm almost 40 now so I guess whatever - it ended up being a really good price.

I picked up Stick Control as well. I probably will pick up something for limb independence since that's always been a thing that took me a while when playing rock band drums or whatever.

Thanks again to the thread for the advice, even though I pretty much completely ignored it :v: I'll probably have better and more specific questions as I try to learn how to play decently.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watching Danny Carey drum live is like going to church. God drat

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

In general you can cheap way out on the drums themselves, as long as the shells aren't physically cracked or broken then with new heads and proper tuning you can make almost anything sound playable. The first ~2 minutes of this video shows even the cheapest POS snare drum off Amazon sounds decent with a cursory tuning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVh-FXLxIDg

For an actual babby's first drumkit just get the cheapest thing you can find on CL / Nextdoor / a garage sale, as long as it isn't literally broken you can make it sound good enough to learn on.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Get him ear plugs or headphones. Hearing protection of any kind. Children have no sense of volume, and no sense of using their strength at anything but maximum. He will have permanent hearing loss within five minutes of playing if you don't make him use hearing protection.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

Get him ear plugs or headphones. Hearing protection of any kind. Children have no sense of volume, and no sense of using their strength at anything but maximum. He will have permanent hearing loss within five minutes of playing if you don't make him use hearing protection.

Noted, though it might turn him off of the whole thing. We'll see.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

silvergoose posted:

Find pictures of professional rock drummers wearing ear protection, there's plenty of it out there - that should help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

silvergoose posted:

You're going to need to be a parent here and demand it. Or start saving for tinnus treatments.