Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Freudian posted:

Pick, go gently caress yourself.
New forum title, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachelbels Cannon
Oct 26, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun part of autism is that unless you are extremely lucky and have understanding parents who are willing and able to accommodate your needs and provide a healthy upbringing, you're very likely to suffer all kinds of bullshit in crucial stages of your development that leaves you various flavours of broken, even moreso than going through said bullshit without being autistic would do!
Or everything's fine for decades and you're completely oblivious.

I have severe sensory issues but school and university tended to be quiet enough. Home life was super quiet too (probably because parents are also autistic, it's genetic after all).

And then I graduated and found myself in an open plan office. I can't function in those, the sensory overstimulation triggers the fight or flight respone and I become an unpleasant intolerant rear end in a top hat and I can't seem to get any work done unless I do overtime - because that's when the office is finally quiet.

If I knew at an earlier age I would have picked a career that didn't involve offices.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

The autistic kids who are broken are the ones who would be classified with another more serious developmental disability twenty years ago. The vast majority of autistics get along just fine with a little extra accommodation.

We probably need to differentiate the groups more. Then again this way probably creates more resources for kids who might not have otherwise received help.

I think that’s where the big divide is and what causes the lack of communication. Autism runs a whole spectrum from “Has trouble understanding metaphors sometimes” to “Makes no conscious actions except screaming and breaking things”. The people who want a cure for autism are looking at the latter, but the autistic people who are actually able to look at that movement critically are the former.

Also Pick has talked at length about her childhood in the past and I can absolutely guarantee that she’s hosed up by her parents and not any form of autism.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Open offices are hellish, I'm not autistic (as far as I know) and half the time I still can't stand being in that environment. Some days I've had just about enough of it by noon. It's just a bad design trend that suits specific personality types, who will proceed to talk loudly and endlessly, and everyone else can just suck it up and suffer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

Open offices are hellish, I'm not autistic (as far as I know) and half the time I still can't stand being in that environment. Some days I've had just about enough of it by noon. It's just a bad design trend that suits specific personality types, who will proceed to talk loudly and endlessly, and everyone else can just suck it up and suffer.

Yeah, I'm kinda in my first non-open office for once, I have my own cubicle tucked away in the back corner so no one can sneak up on me, and the surrounding 3 cubes are empty most of the time, because they're reserved for interns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The perfect environment for me would be in a closed office with two or three of my closest coworkers, so you can exchange ideas and make small talk when you feel like it without having to suffer through the cacophony of random people's inane conversations and other assorted noises - conversely, others aren't subjected to your conversations that way.

That's just with having a more introverted personality or tending towards hypersensitivity, which is a significant portion of the population, I can only imagine what it must be like if you have an actual diagnosed disorder like autism. I'm glad the open office trend is finally getting some pushback, though it's not nearly enough

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I'm in a NOC so it's long rows with stadium seating and monitors so everyone behind me can see my poo poo posting. It also means I get to listen to my co-worker talk about mail order Asian brides and his CPAP machine. He's probably a Goon so this will be an awkward way of outing myself.

But yeah, open offices are wonderful for people who like to talk to captive audiences who can't easily escape.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Also Pick has talked at length about her childhood in the past and I can absolutely guarantee that she’s hosed up by her parents and not any form of autism.

Some of those things, like not being allowed to chew inside the house, were because of autistic siblings so it's not unrelated on that end either.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun part of autism is that unless you are extremely lucky and have understanding parents who are willing and able to accommodate your needs and provide a healthy upbringing, you're very likely to suffer all kinds of bullshit in crucial stages of your development that leaves you various flavours of broken, even moreso than going through said bullshit without being autistic would do!

Yeah, or like, not get diagnosed till you're in your 30s because you're a girl and relatively "functional" for want of a better term, so everyone just thinks you're an annoyingly precocious child who happens to be lazy and insensitive at times, and makes a fuss about noises and lights for reasons they don't really understand, so no one ever really looks into it. Especially if your dad is also undiagnosed, so it's assumed you've picked up your "bad" habits from him (which is true, in a way, I guess.)

I don't like the term broken applied to anyone really, but 100% in retrospect an earlier diagnoses and support would probably have helped me sidestep various things that contribute to the massive, at times crippling, anxiety disorder I ended up with. I feel worse for my dad though, because he was born in 1943 and no one said anything to him until he was in his 60s and had already helped gently caress up his kids by throwing fits about such exciting things as "the food is too brown", having to move 5 times in every restaurant, and forks touching plates.

Autism is a weird spectrum really because it's so wide, and there's such a variation in ability and behaviour. Like, it's weird to me that a never-verbal adult who needs supported living and can't really communicate or care for themselves has the same diagnosis as a successful, garrulous cinematographer who's lived independently since he was 15. I know why it's like that, but the needs of different autistic people can be incredibly far apart, and I think it complicates conversations around it immensely.

Pachelbels Cannon
Oct 26, 2018
Is there an autism thread somewhere? There was one a few months ago but it got gassed without explanation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kind of wish Aspergers hand't been consumed by ASD, because that was a pretty succinct way of saying "I can be accidentally rude inadvertently, but also super focused on technical things and super sensitive to random poo poo but otherwise mostly functional"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

FilthyImp posted:

Kind of wish Aspergers hand't been consumed by ASD, because that was a pretty succinct way of saying "I can be accidentally rude inadvertently, but also super focused on technical things and super sensitive to random poo poo but otherwise mostly functional"

Agreed, it was useful in that way, but it being added to the spectrum seemed to quiet the people wearing Aspergers as a badge of honor really drat quick. I haven’t heard anyone mention an “aspie” in years.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else keep earplugs on their person for loud locations too? I keep mine in a keychain pill holder.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I remember once reading something written by an anti-vaxer. She said she didn't want to vaccinate her children because she was afraid they would get autism. She said she didn't want the light in their eyes to be extinguished. I remember that made me very angry.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well its gonna happen anyway when they die from polio

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Japanese Duke Cannon?

anatomi posted:

Marketing is so loving stupid sometimes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

I remember once reading something written by an anti-vaxer. She said she didn't want to vaccinate her children because she was afraid they would get autism. She said she didn't want the light in their eyes to be extinguished. I remember that made me very angry.

You'd have to be stupid and/or horrible to be a part of that movement to begin with, so it makes sense that she would say something stupid and horrible like that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://imgur.com/gallery/kkyOclZ

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pachelbels Cannon posted:

Or everything's fine for decades and you're completely oblivious.

I have severe sensory issues but school and university tended to be quiet enough. Home life was super quiet too (probably because parents are also autistic, it's genetic after all).

And then I graduated and found myself in an open plan office. I can't function in those, the sensory overstimulation triggers the fight or flight respone and I become an unpleasant intolerant rear end in a top hat and I can't seem to get any work done unless I do overtime - because that's when the office is finally quiet.

If I knew at an earlier age I would have picked a career that didn't involve offices.

Ive slowly been losing my mind in open offices.

However I recently shelled out for really good noise cancelling headphones and it's just so drat nice to be able to turn on the silence and actually concentrate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Ive slowly been losing my mind in open offices.

However I recently shelled out for really good noise cancelling headphones and it's just so drat nice to be able to turn on the silence and actually concentrate.

I'm so glad I have the option to work from home when I want to. Open offices are awful when you actually want to concentrate on something.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Snatch Duster posted:

All these campaigns succeeded though?

People are still talking about them and the brands long after they stopped airing.

At least in my case, it was the straw that broke the camels back that switched me to be aggressively PC. I like Hodgman, I can't stand the other dude. He's arrogant. He reminds me of who I was in the 90's. An arrogant Mac user. Hodgman showed me the light and I've been using only PCs since the ads. I used to do tech support for PCs but still used a Mac at home. After the ads, it reminded me that Mac users are insufferable. It reminded me that I was insufferable. They made me feel like a bad person. I've been PC ever since. Of course, I had my Linux fling and I'm a big fan of FreeBSD as a server platform, but I'll never use a Mac again.

Buy a Macintosh. Everyone will hate you.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mostlygray posted:

At least in my case, it was the straw that broke the camels back that switched me to be aggressively PC. I like Hodgman, I can't stand the other dude. He's arrogant. He reminds me of who I was in the 90's. An arrogant Mac user. Hodgman showed me the light and I've been using only PCs since the ads. I used to do tech support for PCs but still used a Mac at home. After the ads, it reminded me that Mac users are insufferable. It reminded me that I was insufferable. They made me feel like a bad person. I've been PC ever since. Of course, I had my Linux fling and I'm a big fan of FreeBSD as a server platform, but I'll never use a Mac again.

I've got some bad news for you. I don't think it was the Mac causing that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

mostlygray posted:

Mac users do stuff like quote 5 year old posts of permabanned trolls

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Fishstick posted:

Mac users do stuff like quote 5 year old posts of permabanned trolls

Be kind, his John Hodgeman era pc finally loaded the page.

E: to add something of value to this post, Hodgeman is killing it in season two of The Tick. Go watch it, he's a delight as a bad guy

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Autism is a disability, and is inherently bad.
It is always preferable to be not autistic than autistic.
Autists do not think differently, they think badly; their brain fails to process the world as effectively as a non-afflicted person. The pseudo-beneficial idiot-savante mythos of autism sufferers is extremely uncommon; the negative effects of autism are necessary to the condition, even in high functioning autists.
High functioning autists suffer because of their autism.

My autism exclusively causes a negative outcome for me and the people around me; the primary cause of suffering in my life, and the suffering I inflict on others, is directly related to the specific social issues that my autism causes.
I will not have children, due to the high chance of passing on this genetic failing; I would abort any child that shows even the slightest indication of autism, and be devastated if my child showed indications of even the slightest autistic tendencies.
This is despite the fact that I am able to hold a real job, run my own life, and poo poo unassisted.
Autism is a lovely sentence, and non-existence is absolutely preferable.

This does not make autists bad people, per se, but they are bad at being people, and cause suffering in every personal relationship they briefly maintain.

As an aside, my therapist says I should put Pick on ignore.

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Apr 12, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
lots of self-loathing in this thread

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
True of every thread.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Elfface posted:

True of every thread goon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

lots of self-loathing in this thread

Yeah, I know. Someone actually admitted to liking Windows Vista. Talk about broken.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, I know. Someone actually admitted to liking Windows Vista. Talk about broken.

Is there a way I can set up Windows 10 to run Microsoft Bob??

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1116762406804426752

I guess you have to admire their desire for transparency, asking how many of their fans are Nazis

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Literally a quarter of SW fans identify as nazis jesus loving christ nerds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I joined the Empire for the health insurance package.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Say what you will but the average stormtrooper's complete inability to ever actually hit what they're shooting at is absolutely hypnotic. Free entertainment, really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kinda wonder how many people in the star wars universe join the Nazis because they're from dirt poor desert planet and can't get off that rock any other way?

Like joining the irl armed forced

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

Kinda wonder how many people in the star wars universe join the Nazis because they're from dirt poor desert planet and can't get off that rock any other way?

Like joining the irl armed forced

Luke was about to join the Imperial Academy in Episode 4 because of this. Same thing with Han joining the army (and apparently how he got his last name).

The First Order kidnaps children, though. Kinda like the Jedi.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The MSJ posted:

Luke was about to join the Imperial Academy in Episode 4 because of this. Same thing with Han joining the army (and apparently how he got his last name).

The First Order kidnaps children, though. Kinda like the Jedi.

Because Disney Star Wars is scared of having villains that echo the real world, and kinda just try to make them cartoonishly, generically evil.

That doesn't count as a dumb marketing move, though. They're just filing off as many of the reasons you might feel bad about buying merch of the villains as they can.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cleretic posted:

Because Disney Star Wars is scared of having villains that echo the real world, and kinda just try to make them cartoonishly, generically evil.

But you just said they were afraid of having villains that echo the real world.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How soon did we forget Kony 2012? Must I go on a nude rampage to make everyone remember (that was bad marketing, but unintentional).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

The MSJ posted:

How soon did we forget Kony 2012? Must I go on a nude rampage to make everyone remember (that was bad marketing, but unintentional).

There's a Kony sticker on a traffic sign near my office that's been there since that was a thing. It's like a little time capsule.