Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Too bad they can't mind-control themselves into not being idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Does the Potterverse have cures for things like Down syndrome? They can’t fix minds, but what about genetics?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:iiam:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Their socially accepted solution to a little boy who can't magic good is to throw him out of the window, so I'm guessing "no" to that.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does the Potterverse have cures for things like Down syndrome? They can’t fix minds, but what about genetics?

Here's Rowling answer on Pottermore.

Rowling posted:

I decided that, broadly speaking, wizards would have the power to correct or override ‘mundane’ nature, but not ‘magical’ nature. Therefore, a wizard could catch anything a Muggle might catch, but he could cure all of it;

I suppose it depends on how you interpret "catch" and "cure". There's no reference to "mundane" disorders either way outside of maybe Luna, and Hogwarts is ridiculously unsuited for purposes of accessibility, so it's entirely possible to read between the lines and interpret that the Wizarding population is big into mundane eugenics as well.+

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean, you have Moody stumping around with magical prosthetics that are effective upgrades.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isn't there one family that transformed themselves into five legged spider starfish monsters, seems like if you can do that zapping an extra chromosome is nbd

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, you have Moody stumping around with magical prosthetics that are effective upgrades.
Why didn't Moody get himself a second magic eye? I mean, constant vigilance! Literally constant!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Effective Altruism sure doesn't get much more effective than asking for $28,000 to give away copies of HPMOR, which is already free (except the erosion of one's soul).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is it even legal to sell copies of this thing?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

YaketySass posted:

Nope.

Fan works are already a "gray" legal area of sorts. I don't know if it has ever been put to a legal test whether you can publish something related to an IP you don't own for free or not; most authors and publishers (though not all) take the unspoken stance of "as long as you don't try to make money out of it, it's fine".

If you do try to make money out of it, however, expect to get Cease&Desist'd at the speed of light, if not sued outright. Because 1. corporations don't like someone who are not them making money out of something they own, and 2. it could set a dangerous precedent, in that if they let it through once they might lose control of the IP altogether.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

divabot posted:

Effective Altruism sure doesn't get much more effective than asking for $28,000 to give away copies of HPMOR, which is already free (except the erosion of one's soul).

WTF

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The rationality community have gradually decided that the most effective use of charity money is to give it to themselves.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Qwertycoatl posted:

The rationality community have gradually decided that the most effective use of charity money is to give it to themselves.

That's what happens when you rid yourself of all biases.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Looks like it's not as bad as I thought though - GiveWell, despite being run by that sort of person, still as far as I can tell has all their recommendations be basically "medical stuff for developing countries", so they've not been completely infected.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

YaketySass posted:

The person distributing these booby prizes appears to be Russian, and will be distributing them to people at events either held in Russia or with a significant Russian entry. By Western standards, Russia plays notoriously fast and loose with copyright law and derivative works, as demonstrated by things like Tanya Grotter and The Last Ringbearer.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Qwertycoatl posted:

Looks like it's not as bad as I thought though - GiveWell, despite being run by that sort of person, still as far as I can tell has all their recommendations be basically "medical stuff for developing countries", so they've not been completely infected.

so what vaccination drives &c

i remain convinced that the best way to donate to the development of countries is a) state aid to training bureaucracies and universities and b) civil society engagement and support unless c) mine and UXO clearing efforts are applicable. medical stuff is a lot of years for the buck, but i get the awful feeling that in a lot of cases the local regime just uses it as an excuse not to provide medical services in those regions at all

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why didn't Moody get himself a second magic eye? I mean, constant vigilance! Literally constant!
I vaguely remember it being a "one-of-a-kind ancient artifact" type thingie that he had to kill some rando evil wizard in Africa for. I don't think there actually are any others for him to get.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Might be worth to double-check that they don't just mean cryogenic storage or something equally stupid by that, because that's exactly what the whole "effective altruism" has rather ironically turned into ever since all the dot-com bubble Silicon Valley types discovered it a few years ago. Considering that the overwhelming majority of people who find Yudkowsky's cult of rationality appealing also tend to belong to that general demographic, it isn't exactly a coincidence. If you think regular IT or engineering nerd types tend to be conceited enough about their supposed intellect already, then you haven't met a nerd yet who actually did make it big and very much wants to believe that it wasn't really just because he got lucky where others didn't.

After all, the lives of a few hundred thousand Africans a year really don't matter a lot compared to saving a hundred million million billion people from being tortured in Super-AI Superhell forever ten thousand years from now, so "rationally" there's really no point in wasting donation money on things like Malaria prevention when you could be giving it to MIRI instead. Clearly you just aren't rational enough to get it, or you would be a Facebook billionaire yourself. :jerkbag:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiovorax posted:

I vaguely remember it being a "one-of-a-kind ancient artifact" type thingie that he had to kill some rando evil wizard in Africa for. I don't think there actually are any others for him to get.

Might be worth to double-check that they don't just mean cryogenic storage or something equally stupid by that, because that's exactly what the whole "effective altruism" has rather ironically turned into ever since all the dot-com bubble Silicon Valley types discovered it a few years ago. Considering that the overwhelming majority of people who find Yudkowsky's cult of rationality appealing also tend to belong to that general demographic, it isn't exactly a coincidence. If you think regular IT or engineering nerd types tend to be conceited enough about their supposed intellect already, then you haven't met a nerd yet who actually did make it big and very much wants to believe that it wasn't really just because he got lucky where others didn't.

After all, the lives of a few hundred thousand Africans a year really don't matter a lot compared to saving a hundred million million billion people from being tortured in Super-AI Superhell forever ten thousand years from now, so "rationally" there's really no point in wasting donation money on things like Malaria prevention when you could be giving it to MIRI instead. Clearly you just aren't rational enough to get it, or you would be a Facebook billionaire yourself. :jerkbag:

might want to give their site a look, their recommended charities work with incredibly boring and very specific things like vitamin A deficiency

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Qwertycoatl posted:

Future generations are gonna look back on the 21st Century as the Century of Grifting

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

might want to give their site a look, their recommended charities work with incredibly boring and very specific things like vitamin A deficiency
Since 2015 alone, its offshoot, the Open Philanthropy Project, has wasted three and a half million dollars by donating them to MIRI. Good on them for not turning entirely stupid, but at 1.10$ per person per year, that's a lot of Malaria prevention they weren't doing with it instead.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 8, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mikl posted:

it could set a dangerous precedent, in that if they let it through once they might lose control of the IP altogether.
That is not how copyright works. The rights holder can basically allow or disallow whatever copies and derivative works they want under whatever terms they want, and they can change their mind at any time.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

That is not how copyright works. The rights holder can basically allow or disallow whatever copies and derivative works they want under whatever terms they want, and they can change their mind at any time.

Yes, but if it's done without the copyright holder specifically allowing it then the copyright can be challenged on that basis, as they are no longer the sole provider of works falling under that copyright.

edit: Jesus loving christ the loving donations these idiots are funding though.

quote:

($70,000): A major expansion of the Metaculus prediction platform and its community
A forum for cerclejerking about how you're so rational you can predict the future.

quote:

($40,000): Scaling up scenario role-play for AI strategy research and training; improving the pipeline for new researchers
Post apocalyptic LARPing.

quote:

($20,000): Performing independent research in collaboration with John Salvatier
Pay my PA's salary.

quote:

($70,000): Building infrastructure for the future of effective forecasting efforts
Buy me a server.

quote:

($25,000): Supporting aspiring researchers of AI alignment to boost themselves into productivity
Buy us a round of drinks.

quote:

($30,000): A research agenda rigorously connecting the internal and external views of value synthesis
Buzzword gibberish.

quote:

($27,000): Building infrastructure to give X-risk researchers superforecasting ability with minimal overhead
Also buy me a server.

quote:

($20,000): Working to prevent burnout and boost productivity within the EA and X-risk communities
Also buy us some drinks.

quote:

($50,000): An offline community hub for rationalists and EAs
Buy me a whole drat bar.

quote:

($39,000): Producing video content on AI alignment
I'm gonna be a youtube star.

quote:

($30,000): Formalizing perceptual complexity with application to safe intelligence amplification
Pay me enough and I can totally make you smarter.

quote:

($30,000): Broad project support for rationality and community building interventions
Slush fund.

quote:

CFAR ($150,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

quote:

($50,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

quote:

($50,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 9, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stroth posted:

Yes, but if it's done without the copyright holder specifically allowing it then the copyright can be challenged on that basis, as they are no longer the sole provider of works falling under that copyright.
No. This literally the opposite of how copyright works. You always, by default, have copyright over anything that can loosely be defined as a creative, immaterial work of art. You factually cannot lose it unless you willfully sign it away. Even if you never tell someone, even if it's never published, even if no one will ever know. It's yours by the de jure axiomatic fact that you made it.

You're thinking of how trademark can work like that in some cases if the plagiarist decides to make a legal case that the trademark's identity has been neglected for so long that it cannot be said to be exclusive to one particular product made by one particular manufacturer anymore. And even then, that's only that how works for the way "Kleenex" became a generic through sheer cultural momentum.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 9, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

You're thinking of how trademark can work like that in some cases if the plagiarist decides to make a legal case that the trademark's identity has been neglected for so long that it cannot be said to be exclusive to one particular product made by one particular manufacturer anymore. And even then, that's only that how works for the way "Kleenex" became a generic through sheer cultural momentum.
Yeah, there's a lot of confusion between the concepts of copyright and trademark. Copyright is automatic and ludicrously flexible. It basically allows the rights-holder to tell people to gently caress off whenever they want. Trademark is very specific.

Trademark is about protecting your identity. You have to register a specific thing as being identifying of you (as a person or corporation) and you have to both maintain that thing's uniqueness and specify a domain. If someone is using your trademark in the specified domain (meaning that consumers could be confused as to which company or person was supplying the product or service) then you can use your trademark to get them to stop. If they're using it in a way that couldn't cause confusion then you're out of luck. Like, you might have heard of companies trademarking particular colours; that only applies if those colours are used for the kind of product that the original company sells. "Barbie pink" is trademarked, but you can use it without fear of reprisal as long as you're not selling dolls or toys or games or anything that Mattel also sells under that brand. And if you own a trademark but let others get away with using it then you may lose it based on the fact that it no longer uniquely identifies you , your business, or your product. Like if Mattel let other companies package their dolls in Barbie Pink then they'd likely lose the trademark because it would no longer be uniquely associated with their company.

Copyright is about... well, technically it's supposed to be unique expressions of ideas, but it's actually pretty vague. It always comes down to a judgement call. Is this work derivative or merely inspired by another? And if it is derivative, is it parody or criticism? But it never matters whether or not it's unique. You can allow a thousand people to write fanfiction and then sue the 1,001st because it's not about identity, it's about ownership. You can allow any number of people to use your property without ceding your ownership of it, and since you still own it you can still say that this particular person is not allowed to use it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

"Barbie pink" is trademarked, but you can use it without fear of reprisal as long as you're not selling dolls or toys or games or anything that Mattel also sells under that brand. And if you own a trademark but let others get away with using it then you may lose it based on the fact that it no longer uniquely identifies you , your business, or your product. Like if Mattel let other companies package their dolls in Barbie Pink then they'd likely lose the trademark because it would no longer be uniquely associated with their company.
And even then, they'd have to neglect acting against it for so long that people come to think of "Barbie pink" not just as a particular hue that Mattel uses, but rather that this is what the color's name actually is.

quote:

You can allow any number of people to use your property without ceding your ownership of it, and since you still own it you can still say that this particular person is not allowed to use it.
And, in fact, even if it's widely tolerated or even accepted as a thing that just naturally grows out of fandoms the way black mold grows out of badly ventilated basements, anyone who didn't get that personal permission is in fact doing so illegally. A fanfiction writer stays one on entirely on the sufferance of whoever's work it is that they're appropriating for themselves.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tiggum posted:

Trademark is about protecting your identity. You have to register a specific thing as being identifying of you (as a person or corporation) and you have to both maintain that thing's uniqueness and specify a domain. If someone is using your trademark in the specified domain (meaning that consumers could be confused as to which company or person was supplying the product or service) then you can use your trademark to get them to stop. If they're using it in a way that couldn't cause confusion then you're out of luck. Like, you might have heard of companies trademarking particular colours; that only applies if those colours are used for the kind of product that the original company sells. "Barbie pink" is trademarked, but you can use it without fear of reprisal as long as you're not selling dolls or toys or games or anything that Mattel also sells under that brand
I mean...

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/05/apple-norway-progress-party-logo-trademark-opposition/

That's hardly a unique story.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They try that kind of thing every so often. I don't they have actually gotten away with it set. If they ever do, it certainly wouldn't be in Norway of all places. Scandinavia isn't exactly known for being militantly corporatist.

Reminds me of that funny story about when American Budweiser tried to sue Polish Budweiser for their name and got told to kindly gently caress off and also their beer sucks anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion between the concepts of copyright and trademark. Copyright is automatic and ludicrously flexible. It basically allows the rights-holder to tell people to gently caress off whenever they want.

https://www.treehugger.com/culture/artist-saves-land-pipeline-copyrighting-it-artwork-peter-von-tiesenhausen.html

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, I think I get it. It's how Disney / Marvel can copyright their depiction of Thor and Mjolnir, but they can't trademark them because Thor and Mjolnir as concepts predate those depictions; thus, anyone can use Thor and Mjolnir, as long as they don't use the specific Marvel versions of them. Did I get it right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mikl posted:

Oh, I think I get it. It's how Disney / Marvel can copyright their depiction of Thor and Mjolnir, but they can't trademark them because Thor and Mjolnir as concepts predate those depictions; thus, anyone can use Thor and Mjolnir, as long as they don't use the specific Marvel versions of them. Did I get it right?

That is basically exactly right. That said, I think they can trademark their particular version of Thor, they just can't stop you from coming up with a different superhero also called Thor so long as he is sufficiently visually distinct from their own version, because the name is generic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Not really. Thor and Mjolnir, the Norse god and his hammer, are public domain because they predate copyright. Anyone can use them and adapt them in any way they like. Thor, the super hero, is a distinct character created and owned by Marvel. If you wrote a story that used the character of Thor, the legality of that would depend on whether it was based on the god or the super hero.

They can't trademark the character of Thor because trademark doesn't apply to characters. A trademark is a word, phrase, or symbol. They could trademark the name "Thor" on the basis that comics with "Thor" in the title would be assumed to be published by Marvel, meaning that if other used it then they could be passing themselves off as published or endorsed by Marvel - except that other companies have also published comics about Thor so they might not be able to make that argument.

But the difference between trademark and copyright is about the type of things they apply to. Copyright applies to the expression of ideas, trademark applies to identifying marks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

They can't trademark the character of Thor because trademark doesn't apply to characters.
In practical terms, however, since they sell merchandise of these characters, they can trademark the combination of name and appearance. This is why and how selling bootleg merchandise can be illegal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

In practical terms, however, since they sell merchandise of these characters, they can trademark the combination of name and appearance. This is why and how selling bootleg merchandise can be illegal.

Pretty sure that's copyright. The design of the character is a creative work, just like a painting or sculpture.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure that's copyright. The design of the character is a creative work, just like a painting or sculpture.
According to sites like this one, it falls under trademark law if the product takes a particular shape related to an IP, but is in and of itself not part of the intellectual property. Merchandising is treated as a type of advertising for that purpose, as far as I can tell. A Thor doll is a special, trademarked type of doll the same way a Coca Cola bottle is a special, trademarked type of glass bottle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

According to sites like this one, it falls under trademark law if the product takes a particular shape related to an IP, but is in and of itself not part of the intellectual property. Merchandising is treated as a type of advertising for that purpose, as far as I can tell. A Thor doll is a special, trademarked type of doll the same way a Coca Cola bottle is a special, trademarked type of glass bottle.

The whole thing is very vague and complicated. In any case, it always ends up coming down to the fact that the people with all the money can do whatever they like and the rest of us are subject to their whims.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

The whole thing is very vague and complicated. In any case, it always ends up coming down to the fact that the people with all the money can do whatever they like and the rest of us are subject to their whims.

Pretty much. It doesn't have to be a -valid- copyright or trademark case for the company to simply tie it up in court until the little guy runs out of money and settles.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The simplest tl;dr is that trademark covers branding, while copyright covers specific content, and some stuff is both branding and specific content, like book covers.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If companies start physically branding their employees, could they trademark them? Asking for a multinational conglomerate friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 113: Final Exam

So Voldemort just summoned the death eaters and they're all standing around awkwardly while he lectures them about how disappointed he is in them. He tortures a couple of them to show how evil and mean he is. One of the death eaters attacks him and so he kills him in retaliation. Then Voldemort makes Harry swear an Unbreakable Vow.

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

Voldemort laughed, a strange bitter laugh. When he spoke on his high voice was precise. "Here is the oath's intent, Mr. Grim, Mr. White, Harry Potter. Listen well and comprehend the Vow that must be sworn, for its intent is also binding, and you three must share an understanding of its meaning. You will swear, Harry Potter, not to destroy the world, to take no risks when it comes to not destroying the world. This Vow may not force you into any positive action, on account of that, this Vow does not force your hand to any stupidity. Do you understand that, Mr. Grim, Mr. White? We are dealing with a prophecy of destruction. A prophecy! They can fulfill themselves in twisted ways. We must be cautious that this Vow itself does not bring that prophecy about. We dare not let this Vow force Harry Potter to stand idly after some disaster is already set in motion by his hand, because he must take some lesser risk if he tries to stop it. Nor must the Vow force him to choose a risk of truly vast destruction, over a certainty of lesser destruction. But all Harry Potter's foolishness," Voldemort's voice climbed, "all his recklessness, all his grandiose schemes and good intentions - he shall not risk them leading to disaster! He shall not gamble with the Earth's fate! No researches that might lead to catastrophe! No unbinding of seals, no opening of gates!" Voldemort's voice lowered again. "Unless this very Vow itself is somehow leading into the destruction of the world, in which case, Harry Potter, you must ignore it in that particular regard. You will not trust yourself alone in making such a determination, you must confide honestly and fully in your trusted friend, and see if that one agrees. Such is this Vow's meaning and intent. It forces only such acts as Harry Potter might choose himself, having learned that he is a prophesied instrument of destruction. For the capacity for choice must also exist, to be sacrificed.
Apparently this vow is so... long? Complicated? Something anyway, that one of the death eaters (Mr White, whoever that is) has to basically sacrifice basically all their magic to make it work.

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

"Return to your places..." said Voldemort. "Good. All eyes on the Potter child, prepare to fire the instant he tries to flee, or raise his wand, or speak any word..." The Dark Lord floated high in the air, the black-clad figure overlooking the graveyard. Again he held a gun in his left hand, and his wand in his right. "Better. Now we shall kill the Boy-Who-Lived."

Mr. White staggered. Mr. Grim was laughing again, and so were others.

"I did not do that to be funny," Voldemort said coldly. "We are dealing with a prophecy, fools. We are snipping the threads of destiny one by one; carefully, carefully, not knowing when we may first encounter resistance. This is the order in which the next acts shall be done. First Harry Potter shall be stunned, then his limbs severed and the wounds cauterized. Mr. Friendly and Mr. Honor will examine him for any trace of unusual magics. One of you shall shoot the boy many times with my Muggle weapon, and then as many of you as can shall strike him with the Killing Curse. Only then will Mr. Grim crush his skull and brains with the mundane substance of a tombstone. I shall verify his corpse, then his corpse shall be burned with Fiendfyre, then we will exorcise the surrounding area in case he has left a ghost. I myself will guard this place until six hours have passed, for I do not fully trust the wards I have set against Time's looping; and four of you shall search the surroundings for signs of anything noteworthy. Even after that we must remain vigilant for any sign of Harry Potter's renewed presence, in case Dumbledore has left some unimagined trick in play. If you can think of any trick that I have missed in being sure that Harry Potter's threat is ended, speak now and I shall reward you handsomely... speak now, in Merlin's name!"
And then Yudkowsky basically tasked his readers with coming up with the ending to the story.

Eliezer Yudkwosky posted:

This is your final exam.

You have 60 hours.

Your solution must at least allow Harry to evade immediate death,
despite being naked, holding only his wand, facing 36 Death Eaters
plus the fully resurrected Lord Voldemort.

If a viable solution is posted before
*12:01AM Pacific Time* (8:01AM UTC) on Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015,
the story will continue to Ch. 121.

Otherwise you will get a shorter and sadder ending.
I don't know if he was admitting that he didn't know how to finish the story or if he'd claim that he had a solution in mind and was just testing his audience, but the threat of the "shorter and sadder ending" suggests that he was genuinely looking for someone to pull him out of the hole he'd dug himself into. Either way it's a weird threat.