Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DoctorWhat posted:

Good info but not answering his question.

It's not a question that really can be answered because the human eye does not have a refresh rate, but individual frame timings beyond 144hz (~6.9ms per frame) become nearly impossible for most human beings to perceive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Our own perception of reality is delayed by as much as 120ms. You can experience this for yourself if you rapidly dart your eyes back and forth from a clock with a second hand. The second hand will appear to hang for longer than a second because your brain needs time to fill in the new visual information.

Okay smart guy, then how do speedrunners pull off frame perfect tricks. I await your answer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're all cheating + on roids as far as I'm concerned.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Okay smart guy, then how do speedrunners pull off frame perfect tricks. I await your answer

They press the button 120ms early, that's how they've learned the timing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They press the button 120ms early, that's how they've learned the timing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I totally hit the goddamn baseball, loving lag

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
As for the framerate question, our eyes actually perceive a different "framerate" depending on whether your talking about our direct vision or our peripheral vision.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just got the latest Amiibo in the mail and it owns. Raz confirmed for Smash!

Shut up, let a man dream.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nickoten posted:

I dunno if I'd pay the current price for NSMBU if it were just for me to play by myself, but both NSMBU and NSMB Wii really shine in 4 player. It's worth the price and more if you've got 4 players ready to death race to the end of a level, trying to murder each other on the way. I have no idea if this is how the games were meant to be played but it is definitely one of the best Mario experiences if you can get that going.

One of my favorite things to do on the Wii U version was to have the tablet, and do the thing where you can help people by placing blocks for them to jump on.

Unless, of course, you're me, and you wait for your friend to jump so you can put a block right above him and so he ends up hitting his head.

If that is still in the Switch version, then...

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
👏kenka👏banchou👏7👏for👏switch

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is going to be an expensive month for me. Too many dang games I’ll immediately drop when RE4 hits next month.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Andrast posted:

Sounds like you just need to get a better connection
It's not a connection thing, the brain lies to you to hide design problems with how your eyes work (follow the comment thread)
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1014267515696922624

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Half life 1 and 2 with gyro support. Why not?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oscar Wild posted:

Half life 1 and 2 with gyro support. Why not?

because they don't hold up

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Holy poo poo, we're still getting dragon's dogma this month.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tamba posted:

It's not a connection thing, the brain lies to you to hide design problems with how your eyes work (follow the comment thread)
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1014267515696922624

get better eyes to go along with the better connection

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can't wait to play Kevin Smith's Dragons Dogma

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Can't wait to play Kevin Smith's Dragons Dogma
https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1114995516662665217

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheScott2K posted:

because they don't hold up

Finally, someone that agrees with me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1114995516662665217[/url]

Please, I may eat today. Welp writing that made me wretch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I had nearly purged that from memory. Thank you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kevin Smith has a clit?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i don't think so, not until Kevin Smith's Dragon's Dogma 2 at least

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Speedrunners train frame-perfect tricks by drilling the timing into muscle memory based on some slightly earlier cue. The human eye and conscious brain aren't quick enough for a wholly spontaneous reaction, so the unconscious brain pitches in and learns to slam your thumb on that button exactly X moments after Y cue.

Y'know content-aware-fill in Photoshop? Your brain is doing that all the time on everything you're not directly looking at. Except that your brain is better at it than Photoshop, because you have temporal and contextual awareness, and that makes your brain a better guesser. Your eyes & brain don't have a "refresh rate" because you're not seeing a fixed stream of objective images, you're seeing a shifting soup of varyingly-accurate impressions that your brain adds up to a clear & comprehensible totality. True objectivity is unattainable to the senses. All knowledge is ultimately based on that which we cannot prove. Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eyes own. GOAT

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A friend recommended Overwhelm and it loving rules, highly recommended.

It's a mashup of Super Metroid, roguelikes, and Alien. Your goal is to traverse a small Metroid-style world and collect 5 gems. Each gem is guarded by a boss. Every time you kill a boss, the world gets more difficult - enemies get new powers, and there are more enemies. You die instantly if anything touches you, but enemies also die in one shot. The controls are really tight and it's simultaneously really fun and really stressful.

I think maybe 10 people on earth bought this game and it deserves a bigger audience!

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZdNJYwdZo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought I clicked on the wrong thread in my bookmarks. We need another Direct soon.:lol:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a mashup of Super Metroid, roguelikes, and Alien.

You had me at Super Metroid and Alien.

And then you lost me again at roguelike.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

less laughter posted:

You had me at Super Metroid and Alien.

And then you lost me again at roguelike.

It's not really a roguelike... the world is not randomized at all, so it's just a tricky small game that you have to play a bunch of times to beat. There are also a lot of very smart design decisions that make the game not at all tedious to replay multiple times.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is it by the Downwell guy? It looks really similar.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Heath posted:

Is it by the Downwell guy? It looks really similar.

Nope. Downwell is Ojiro Fumoto, Overwhelm is Ruari O’Sullivan.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Had my first successful run of Into the Breach last night! I ended up finishing the final fight with 1 grid power left, it was intense. Rusting Hulks seemed underpowered at first, but I ended up loving them.

I just unlocked Flame Behemoths as my 4th squad. Anyone have any basic tips for them? I don't necessarily want every aspect of their strategy, but maybe some info on utilizing fire damage would be cool. I haven't really hosed with that much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a mashup of Super Metroid, roguelikes, and Alien. Your goal is to traverse a small Metroid-style world and collect 5 gems. Each gem is guarded by a boss. Every time you kill a boss, the world gets more difficult - enemies get new powers, and there are more enemies. You die instantly if anything touches you, but enemies also die in one shot. The controls are really tight and it's simultaneously really fun and really stressful.

I think maybe 10 people on earth bought this game and it deserves a bigger audience!

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZdNJYwdZo

My friend, you are a prime candidate for Game Of The Year All Years, Broforce, on the Nintendo Switch

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Broforce would be the best game of all time if not for DOOM.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Speedrunners train frame-perfect tricks by drilling the timing into muscle memory based on some slightly earlier cue. The human eye and conscious brain aren't quick enough for a wholly spontaneous reaction, so the unconscious brain pitches in and learns to slam your thumb on that button exactly X moments after Y cue.

Y'know content-aware-fill in Photoshop? Your brain is doing that all the time on everything you're not directly looking at. Except that your brain is better at it than Photoshop, because you have temporal and contextual awareness, and that makes your brain a better guesser. Your eyes & brain don't have a "refresh rate" because you're not seeing a fixed stream of objective images, you're seeing a shifting soup of varyingly-accurate impressions that your brain adds up to a clear & comprehensible totality. True objectivity is unattainable to the senses. All knowledge is ultimately based on that which we cannot prove. Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

You get the same with FPS players. When you're skilled/practiced enough you don't spot an enemy and go through the conscious thought of aiming and shooting you react spontaneously. Then you get people who are amazing at this like Shroud.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Broforce would be the best game of all time if not for DOOM.

having both on the switch is absolute luxury

highly recommended

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My friend, you are a prime candidate for Game Of The Year All Years, Broforce, on the Nintendo Switch

Can someone please explain the intense love goons have for this game; I have it in the PS4, and to me, it's just average.
Like, I love the terrain destruction ( :rip: Return Fire ), and the 80s/90s action star references are enjoyable, but... enh?
What am I missing?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
So does Kevin Smith repeat that every year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Facetious posted:

Can someone please explain the intense love goons have for this game; I have it in the PS4, and to me, it's just average.
Like, I love the terrain destruction ( :rip: Return Fire ), and the 80s/90s action star references are enjoyable, but... enh?
What am I missing?

If you play co-op you do a screen-shaking high five that puts you into bullet time, and also you can flex your muscles