Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Mankind Divided is a very excellent iteration of the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Seems to me that only the first had that story + gameplay that hooked us all in and keeps us here (isn't this the 20th anniversary or was it a 00 release?) many mediocre games later.

DX: story + gameplay
IW: Gameplay
HR: Story
MD: Gameplay

Not that the gameplay in HR was bad but it was more constricted and I was mostly there for the prequel story. MD started to really recapture the gameplay with the large Prague hubs but as we know the story is a cancelled fart.

Also I'd like to thank the goon who linked the review videos above, I've watched the first two and both were so good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Thief Missions still exists, as does Taffer's Paradise. I might make a new thread.

Make a new thread so someone can play all the Dark Mod missions and tell me which are worth installing.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I suspect a lot of the issues regarding the gameplay in IW were due to the unified ammo system.
poo poo like enemies being bullet sponges to incentivize you to use big guns, but then big guns require wayyyy more ammo, but ammo is a shared pool, so if you use your big guns to kill enemies quickly you can't really fallback to your small weapons for when you run out of ammo and so on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make a new thread so someone can play all the Dark Mod missions and tell me which are worth installing.

Will do later on today!

Thief: Take anything not taffing nailed down

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, Mankind Divided is a very excellent iteration of the gameplay.

The architecture and design is also incredible. I think the main flaw is confusing writing and the structural issues of having no real ending. People bag on it for the politics, but the sense of looming horror it gave me of a tightening pogrom was really effective.

Oh and it needs an ssd, playing it without one would be torturous.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of the art of Deus Ex, art director Jonathan-Jacques Belletête has left Eidos Montréal.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I played Thief Gold for the first time last month and really enjoyed it, even if some levels were frustrating. It took Thieves Guild and Down in the Bonehoard to make me realise you have to look everywhere and look hard on anything more than normal. The undead are just an annoyance and the errand-giving ghost can go gently caress himself

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Besides fan made levels for Thief there is also the Doom3 mod "The Dark Mod" which seems to have come a long way. http://www.thedarkmod.com/news/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One thing MD does better than anything else in the series is make you feel like you're taking part in an actual operation. Mostly just the last and first missions but it does it really well. Particularly the last mission where it quickly dawns on you that something is very wrong.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I think I'm about to hit my first Mankind Divided boss fight. I got to an elevator guarded by a turret and there is a locked room with a shitload of high level guns in it.

The gameplay is really good. The stealth system is a big upgrade from HR and as others have said, the level design is more organic. Just that pacing issue after the opening mission though.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I still struggle with MD's setting compared to HR. I liken it to Half-Life and HL2’s issue with setting: you go from unique environments in the first games (Black Mesa, the multi-layered city of Hengsha) to moderately generic European towns in the sequels.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
At least HL2 has some unique stuff happening, like the receding seas, the brutal implementation of Combine tech in old human architecture, and the citadel of course.

MD vs HR though: I don't really see it? Chicago is almost identical to Prague in terms of uniqueness, and Golem City is unique like Hengsha. Also, the giant vault in the bank is a very cool set piece. I agree Hengsha was cool, but unfortunate that they didn't do much with it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The Panchaea setting for the last bit of HR is really cool but I basically just wanted to explore something that looked huge and awesome and find out more about it, but basically it was just a window backgrop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tetrabor posted:

to moderately generic European towns in the sequels.

But that's what Prague is like? They very successfully captured the feel of the city while making fictional districts in MD.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Karpaw posted:

Speaking of the art of Deus Ex, art director Jonathan-Jacques Belletête has left Eidos Montréal.

Nice. I Hope that means we will get a less rear end in a top hat main character. I rather sacrifice all the the stunning art for better characters, animations and a proper story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Desole, mais Deus ex est mort, mon vieux.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

haldolium posted:

Nice. I Hope that means we will get a less rear end in a top hat main character. I rather sacrifice all the the stunning art for better characters, animations and a proper story.

what a shame

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Desole, mais Deus ex est mort, mon vieux.

Que c'est dommage.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

haldolium posted:

He's still keen to go back though

quote:

I wish I could’ve had time to make another Deus Ex game. Deus Ex is literally a part of me, a part of us, the core team. It’s our baby, our universe. We spent so many years thinking about those characters, those locations, their themes and meanings. We’d eat Deus Ex for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and we’d probably dream about it at night. I will probably always miss it, but it was time for me to tackle new challenges. And who knows what the future holds? Maybe I’ll still find a way to make another Deus Ex game one day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Please, my triangles collection is not complete.

Edit: can’t remember if I posted this before, but I saw this advert in Berlin back in Feb, and it totally looks like something in game from MD.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 8, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Samopsa posted:

I agree Hengsha was cool, but unfortunate that they didn't do much with it.

Apparently a lot of Hengsha got cut - there was supposed to be a whole "Upper Hengsha" level, Montreal was supposed to be a Hub, and Jensen would have a quick trip to India.

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112768-Deus-Ex-Devs-Taunt-Us-With-Cut-Content

quote:

"We had planned for a lot more city hubs," adds Lapikas. "Montreal was supposed to be one. Upper Heng Sha was actually built, but it was never finished."

"At the beginning of the project we even planned to go to India. But as we constructed the city hubs, and understood the amount of work it took, we had to pare it down."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Meanwhile SE blows all their money on Final Fantasy and gets pissed off that their other properties don't make up the difference. So they get backburnered.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I like the part where he claims Far Cry to be a successful Montréal based IP.

The most fun and praiseworthy game in that franchise was developed by Crytek. Everything since then just keeps descending into cynical misanthropy and self-loathing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

DXHR was not a short game by any means- it would have been singularly massive with upper Hengsha and Montreal.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Montréal and the last quarter of HR were really rough around the edges. I would have been happier to have HR end on a cliffhanger and have a gotten a part 2 of similar length and quality with something a little more interesting the Aug Zombies.

It reminded me of how Mass Effect 3, really suffered from a similar drop in quality.

I know that episodic games will fail forever as a model, but it would be nice to see a AAA game be split into two parts than have a mediocre or worse ending glued onto an otherwise good game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

une bombe!

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

quote:

I wish I could’ve had time to make another Deus Ex game. Deus Ex is literally a part of me, a part of us, the core team. It’s our baby, our universe. We spent so many years thinking about those characters, those locations, their themes and meanings. We’d eat Deus Ex for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and we’d probably dream about it at night. I will probably always miss it, but it was time for me to tackle new challenges. And who knows what the future holds? Maybe I’ll still find a way to make another Deus Ex game one day.

It isnt his baby or his bloody universe and for someone waxing lyrical over their spiritual ownership of Deus Ex they sure did manage to miss the god-drat point by a few dozen miles.

gently caress that statement pissed me right off.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

El_Elegante posted:

Montréal and the last quarter of HR were really rough around the edges. I would have been happier to have HR end on a cliffhanger and have a gotten a part 2 of similar length and quality with something a little more interesting the Aug Zombies.

It reminded me of how Mass Effect 3, really suffered from a similar drop in quality.

I know that episodic games will fail forever as a model, but it would be nice to see a AAA game be split into two parts than have a mediocre or worse ending glued onto an otherwise good game.

That's exactly what the publisher mandated they do with Mankind Divided, and it turned out just about as well as you'd expect.

Ending is removed from game and saved for sequel to tell a more complete story
Game is criticized by fans and reviewers for having no ending, hurting sales
Sequel is cancelled due to low sales

I know that's not the only publisher meddling that hurt MD but it was one of them.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Finished Mankind Divided, and wow did Eidos/square Enix drop the ball on not having a follow-up game in the pipeline.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shame about the art dude leaving. I liked Jensen a lot as a protag, and really felt that HR captured what made the original game so great. The only thing missing were the conspiracy theory inspired writing, but overall I really enjoyed HR and MD. I also loved their art styles.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m surprised they continued with the Lazarus radio format of HR.

A) Alex Jones is not a good guy and it sucks to have to listen to the dime store version of him as the only alternative media to Eliza Cassan.

B) Do they really expect me to just hang out by a radio to hear an audio clip with no discernible beginning or end? Retrievable audio logs have been in games since Sysyem Shock 2. Who thought this was a better implementation?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think I'm almost done with Golem City. How much more game do I have?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’d say Golem ends at about 60% of the way, if you’re doing as many side quests as possible. A little more than that if you’re not.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The game feels a lot lighter on sidequests compared to HR. Either fewer of them, or the ones that are there just aren't that complicated. Is that accurate or does it sound like I'm missing a lot of sidequests?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I agree-I think they put so much effort into fleshing out Prague as a hub that quests feel minimal as a result.

sebmojo posted:

The sense of looming horror it gave me of a tightening pogrom was really effective.

That is definitely where this game excels. I wish they could have made the conspiracy intrigue a little more gripping.

All the stuff between the Juggernaut Collective and the Illuminati is really interesting, as are some of the gameplay moments where you have to choose who to trust and assist. But it never quite feels tense.

By way of example, take the last conversations with staff on the way out of UNATCO. You see people who are truly conflicted on their roles and the right thing to do. You can even convince some its time to flee. Not only can Jensen trust no one at TF29, he doesn’t try to flip any personnel to his side either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I know a lot has been said about og Deus Ex being able to be set in a world where every 90s conspiracy theory was true because they were all mostly harmless and fantastical, whereas now you've got a far more dangerous and fervent atmosphere when it comes to weaponised main stream lunacy as peddled by President Dotard, but I think there's a shitload of good material to be had from our current febrile environment that I'd love to see expanded on.

Everything to do with state political interference, cambridge analytica, monolithic technology companies exploiting social media seems like it would be ripe for exploiting a suitably grim and believable near future setting in a less cack-handed way than the aug lives matter poo poo. They can even throw in some of the more batshit conspiracy theories like chemtrails for fun

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Butterfly Valley posted:

Everything to do with state political interference, cambridge analytica, monolithic technology companies exploiting social media seems like it would be ripe for exploiting a suitably grim and believable near future setting in a less cack-handed way than the aug lives matter poo poo. They can even throw in some of the more batshit conspiracy theories like chemtrails for fun

This is why I expect Cyberpunk to be the spiritual successor to DX.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

just finished 2nd MD run today as well

:toot:

if I start another NG+ now it still apparently (according to the stuff in my inventory) takes the file from my very 1st playthrough. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

haldolium posted:

just finished 2nd MD run today as well

:toot:

if I start another NG+ now it still apparently (according to the stuff in my inventory) takes the file from my very 1st playthrough. Is that normal?

Does it matter?