Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

CT even fixes one of the base things that was plaguing the base game since AA

Oh? What thing was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gutter Owl posted:

Oh? What thing was that?
Terror Ops in CT don’t set regions to opposition, it can only set it back to neutral from support. COIN was always a bit suspect in the theory that terror operations somehow made the population support your cause.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Terror Ops in CT don’t set regions to opposition, it can only set it back to neutral from support. COIN was always a bit suspect in the theory that terror operations somehow made the population support your cause.

It was always that way for 'neutral' insurgent factions but yeah CT tries to do that. I'm not a huge fan of COIN's political modeling(it's very simplistic to me) but it's a step up- it's also got a more lenient action economy that actually makes terror operations a reasonable choice in some situations whereas terror is generally inefficient in other COIN games(you're better off rallying over and over and moving support in interphases or with other actions).

COIN is hardly the only wargame that deals in insurgency but it's probably the most accessible one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't agree with that: in terms of cost-efficiency, terror actions are worth it because in most games, it isn't possible for insurgent factions to take control of certain spaces, especially cities. Terror in COIN is meant to take away support and make it harder to gain it back rather than anything else.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Got in my first face-to-face COIN game in ages last night, playing the main scenario in Falling Sky. Belgae took it in the second winter. Sure seemed like everyone was more worried about my Rome though -- Aedui wouldn't cooperate with me at all and Arverni were using all their might to harass my supply and scorch the earth. Not that I am bitter. :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Known Lecher posted:

GMT is dropping Scramble for Africa.

I took a look at this game on BGG and I have to say this is a good call. I normally am 100% against censoring historical material, but Scramble for Africa didn't even look like it used the setting for much. Its about as historically deep as a game of Risk, it's a generic map to move armies around on. There are random "native encounter" cards, which you can draw anywhere in Africa (because as we all know every African culture is the same right?). This game could just as easily be Scramble for Narnia and it wouldn't make a difference.

There is a lot of historical material to make a really good board game about the Scramble for Africa. This is not it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Got in my first face-to-face COIN game in ages last night, playing the main scenario in Falling Sky. Belgae took it in the second winter. Sure seemed like everyone was more worried about my Rome though -- Aedui wouldn't cooperate with me at all and Arverni were using all their might to harass my supply and scorch the earth. Not that I am bitter. :)

Were the tribal players new to COIN/Falling Sky? I find this happens a lot in the first play of this game in particular. It's like when people worry about Khorne too much in CIOTW and throw it to someone else.

e: I played Dominant Species last night and won by ~1~ point as the Amphibians. Game is still amazing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Aedui are basically just handing it to the other Gallic players if they don't exploit the Romans. Averni don't need them, and belgae are unchecked if Rome can't get north occasionally.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
How many Star Wars games are there?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr Tran posted:

How many Star Wars games are there?

A lot

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/bo...ormal&B1=Submit

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/the-lord-of-the-rings-journeys-in-middle-earth/products/lord-rings-journeys-middle-earth/

Anyone have opinions on FFG's new Lord of the Rings game? Looks like a bit of Descent/GH, a bit of Mansions of Madness, and a bit of the Arkham Horror LCG (specifically that they seem to have held themselves back from making it a dicefest).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/the-lord-of-the-rings-journeys-in-middle-earth/products/lord-rings-journeys-middle-earth/

Anyone have opinions on FFG's new Lord of the Rings game? Looks like a bit of Descent/GH, a bit of Mansions of Madness, and a bit of the Arkham Horror LCG (specifically that they seem to have held themselves back from making it a dicefest).

From what I'm hearing it's Mansions of Madness 2E meets Gloomhaven.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The previews I heard from GAMA made it sound pretty good, but then, they always do at those shows.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Looks good but I'm so incredibly sick of the LotR setting. Haven't we already played/seen all these battles with these characters already?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

From what I'm hearing it's Mansions of Madness 2E meets Gloomhaven.

It’s not a legacy game as far as I can tell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mayveena posted:

It seems like it would have to be?

quote:

Each individual game of Journeys in Middle-earth is a single adventure in a larger campaign.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

It seems like it would have to be?

You can have a campaign without legacy elements.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I wasn't talking about legacy, I was talking about mechanics. JiME is apparently driven by a card system in place of dice.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Chronicles of Crime last night with my gf. An interesting, app-powered game that solves a lot of the issues I had with Sherlock Holmes - you can ask suspects about specific things or people, by scanning the person you're talking to, then the object o ask about. In addition, based on the time in the game, people can show up in different locations, or certain actions can trigger different responses later on. Only one case in so far but it definitely also feels like the game's questions at the end of each case focus less on the red herrings you're given (though there might be a question about them). An interesting thing about the game's design is that there's nothing on any of the cards tying them to an individual case - every character card is just a face, every clue is just a generic description (Clothes, or Footprints, or Bottles), every special clue is a picture. This allows them to be reused in different contexts, which is neat.

My biggest concern with the game is the amount of content - the base game comes with five cases only, three of which tie into a single large storyline. There are expansions to buy that have different settings (Noir and Mystery-Solving Teens, looks like), and there are additional single cases available to download on the app for $6.50 (CAD) each, which...I don't know, seems a little steep. Guess it depends how long they are, I haven't tried them. Though apparently there is an option in the app (literally just looked) to load fan scenarios, so that could be interesting.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Morpheus posted:

Though apparently there is an option in the app (literally just looked) to load fan scenarios, so that could be interesting.

Fan scenario support is great in theory, but it didn't exactly work out for Tragedy Looper. (Despite all our hopes and dreams.)

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Fog of love worth buying? Me and my boyfriend are big board gamers, but down to have fun with a lighter role playing game if it holds up. I can get it for 16 from walmart with shipping included, which seems reasonable if it'll be a good time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The main problem I’ve heard echoed about Fog of Love is that the gameplay is at odds with the role playing. If you approach it trying to win the role playing doesn’t make sense and if you try to role play your character you play the game suboptimally and probably won’t win. Seems like an interesting experience but not a good game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

The main problem I’ve heard echoed about Fog of Love is that the gameplay is at odds with the role playing. If you approach it trying to win the role playing doesn’t make sense and if you try to role play your character you play the game suboptimally and probably won’t win. Seems like an interesting experience but not a good game.

I found the role playing to work fine while trying to win, it was more "seeing what happens to this character you created" rather than "get into their head and become that person" but the former's more my style anyway.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Were the tribal players new to COIN/Falling Sky?

Only the Aedui player, and it shows because he wasn't helping my Roman war effort out at all. Wouldn't even grant me supply lines. :v: Aedui actually came really close to winning, though, to the point where I was sending my main stack against the blue stronghold in Mandubii rather than against the Belgae I should have been gunning for.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

silvergoose posted:

I found the role playing to work fine while trying to win, it was more "seeing what happens to this character you created" rather than "get into their head and become that person" but the former's more my style anyway.

The game is interesting because you aren't just roleplaying a character and never changing, you are roleplaying someone in an actual relationship. You can play suboptimally if you want to go for the goal of breaking up with the other person, or you can change over time as you try to understand your partner better and work towards making the relationship work. That still falls within the roleplaying aspect while also trying to eek out a win for the both of you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

War of the Ring: Second Edition hit the table last Sunday. It was a 4 hour learning game that ended with Frodo and Sam casually sauntering up to Mt Doom and tossing the ring in (every hunt tile flipped was a beneficial one or a 0, except for the eye that was flipped on the first movement in Mordor). We made some minor mistakes and oversights, but it was a 4 hour game that didn't feel like 4 hours had passed. It fills a similar niche to Star Wars Rebellion, including the same caveat of "No, seriously, how/why would you play this with more than 2 players?"

It recently got reprinted, and the first expansion is slated to be re-released in June.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Randalor posted:

War of the Ring: Second Edition hit the table last Sunday. It was a 4 hour learning game that ended with Frodo and Sam casually sauntering up to Mt Doom and tossing the ring in (every hunt tile flipped was a beneficial one or a 0, except for the eye that was flipped on the first movement in Mordor). We made some minor mistakes and oversights, but it was a 4 hour game that didn't feel like 4 hours had passed. It fills a similar niche to Star Wars Rebellion, including the same caveat of "No, seriously, how/why would you play this with more than 2 players?"

It recently got reprinted, and the first expansion is slated to be re-released in June.

It's actually hilarious 4p, because you're just yelling at your teammate things like "NO, YOU MUST DESTROY THE ELVES" and "He seeeees, he knoooooows" and taunting the other team.

It's probably strictly worse of a game, mind you, but each 4p game I've played was extremely enjoyable.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

It's actually hilarious 4p, because you're just yelling at your teammate things like "NO, YOU MUST DESTROY THE ELVES" and "He seeeees, he knoooooows" and taunting the other team.

This one sentence sells the game better than anything I've ever read/watched about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

It's probably strictly worse of a game, mind you, but each 4p game I've played was extremely enjoyable.

Reminds me that I need to pull NT for a 4P game sometime. Apparently I haven’t played the game in a year anyway, but it’s one of those games where you can appreciate it no matter how long it’s been. It always sparks joy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Reminds me that I need to pull NT for a 4P game sometime. Apparently I haven’t played the game in a year anyway, but it’s one of those games where you can appreciate it no matter how long it’s been. It always sparks joy.
I really want to try 6P Napoleon's Triumph.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Is it a bad idea to play pandemic legacy with a group of people who have never played pandemic before?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

interrodactyl posted:

Is it a bad idea to play pandemic legacy with a group of people who have never played pandemic before?

Nope.

The game operates exactly like regular Pandemic before you open any of the secret stuff, so play a couple of practice games first without any of the legacy stuff, then as soon as you all feel confident you have the mechanics down jump in.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Huxley posted:

Nope.

The game operates exactly like regular Pandemic before you open any of the secret stuff, so play a couple of practice games first without any of the legacy stuff, then as soon as you all feel confident you have the mechanics down jump in.

Awesome thanks! That makes it easy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kinda odd one -- the father of a friend of mine inquired about an exhibit they're putting on in a University library nearby about 'literary games,' which is sort of a broad topic. Right now I think they're feeling out exactly what the exhibit should cover, and he knows I play a bunch of 'em so did a kind of general inquiry.

Wondering if there are games about books that people can think of? We're talking games about books / libraries themselves as well as licensed book properties (though a lot of them would be in public domain so not actually licenced but you know what I mean.)The more classic / literary the better (I'd think), and they're working from a collection already -- Ex Libris is the first one I thought of, and it's already on there but besides Robinson Crusoe it's the only really 'modern' game. This is a proper university collection -- about half the list is pre-1900. Yeah.

At first blush there are a ton of games based on thing like Lovecraft, GoT, LotR -- those are easy. Are there more obscure ones or library themed games of note that ya'll can think of?

Bilbos and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective two others that came to mind for me initially, already suggested them.

I'm also gonna ask him about game books -- Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf etc. P+P RPG's are a little outside the realm I think. Unless there are ones that star librarians? Adventures of Baron Munchaussen is the first light RPG that came to mind.

I know this is pretty open but I'm just curious what ya'll might consider worthy of note.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Little Prince: Make Me A Planet
Around the World in 80 Days (retheme of Hare and Tortoise)
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Nemo's War

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Kinda odd one -- the father of a friend of mine inquired about an exhibit they're putting on in a University library nearby about 'literary games,' which is sort of a broad topic. Right now I think they're feeling out exactly what the exhibit should cover, and he knows I play a bunch of 'em so did a kind of general inquiry.

Wondering if there are games about books that people can think of? We're talking games about books / libraries themselves as well as licensed book properties (though a lot of them would be in public domain so not actually licenced but you know what I mean.)The more classic / literary the better (I'd think), and they're working from a collection already -- Ex Libris is the first one I thought of, and it's already on there but besides Robinson Crusoe it's the only really 'modern' game. This is a proper university collection -- about half the list is pre-1900. Yeah.

At first blush there are a ton of games based on thing like Lovecraft, GoT, LotR -- those are easy. Are there more obscure ones or library themed games of note that ya'll can think of?

Bilbos and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective two others that came to mind for me initially, already suggested them.

I'm also gonna ask him about game books -- Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf etc. P+P RPG's are a little outside the realm I think. Unless there are ones that star librarians? Adventures of Baron Munchaussen is the first light RPG that came to mind.

I know this is pretty open but I'm just curious what ya'll might consider worthy of note.

Based on 19th century books or stories: Marrying Mr Darcy, Twist of Fate (based on Oliver Twist), Fury of Dracula.

Based on libraries: Alexandria.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Technically The Voyages Of Marco Polo is based on the dramatis personae of the book rather than the actual journey, but it doesn't really show until the Agents of Venice expansion where Marco Polo's ghostwriter shows up as a playable character with a hand of plot twist cards.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Paperback/Hardback

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Obsession isn't based on a specific novel, but evokes the regency or novel of manners genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Here is an article that was posted in the discord chat: https://www.cardboardrealitypodcast.com/written-reviews/2019-4-8/the-ultimate-board-game-collection-draft

The premise is that a collection of people were trying to draft the best board game collection, fantasy football style. I think that this is a really cool concept. As such, I want to run one with this thread.

Quote this post if you are willing to participate in the draft

I am thinking of capping at 10 people and 15 games, but if there is more interest we can roll that too. Once interest has been established, I'll maybe a separate thread and go from there.