Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure the "combining MP/TP" thing was based on a vague/mistranslated statement in the first announcement about it, and they've clarified that they'll just be removing TP entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I mean, they could remove TP and then make MP a static resource the way TP currently is, i.e. "you have 10k MP and spell costs X amount, and will continue to have that cost regardless of how many levels you gain." I don't think there would be anything wrong with that.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

They would have to remove piety from healer gear.

They will never do that, because they love putting piety on healer gear.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tenik posted:

They would have to remove piety from healer gear.

They will never do that, because they love putting piety on healer gear.

Why? Everyone has a base of 10000 MP, but Piety adds more. If anything, you'd be able to quantify Piety better because it's easier to comprehend what adding 750 MP does to 10000 MP when Gravity costs 1800 or some such.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Harrow posted:

I ran into a THM doing leveling roulette yesterday who I don't think understood damage numbers because they were casting Fire II/Blizzard II even on single targets.

I can understand being sort of confused about "but it says II, shouldn't it be better than the first one" but I don't know how you don't notice while playing solo that suddenly you're killing a lot more slowly when you use Fire II.

To be fair, THM is the only class where II/III AREN'T intended to be used as straight up replacements for the base version of a spell outside of Cure/Medica.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It takes a long time level retainers. I've been chugging away sending them on those 18 hour missions every single day for months, and they're just around ~61 or so.

On the upside I've gotten some random pets out of it. Like the best pet, Fat Cat. And some dog with a crown.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

It takes a long time level retainers. I've been chugging away sending them on those 18 hour missions every single day for months, and they're just around ~61 or so.

On the upside I've gotten some random pets out of it. Like the best pet, Fat Cat. And some dog with a crown.

If you have leves to burn going with specific or quick exploration can speed it up (quick exploration can be streaky, there will be days they keep bringing you fish worth less XP than just the last regular venture you have access to, but another day they bring some primal drop worth several times as much). But yeah it's not going to be fast.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Yeah, do quick exploration while you're online, and the 18-hour one before you log off.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be fair, THM is the only class where II/III AREN'T intended to be used as straight up replacements for the base version of a spell outside of Cure/Medica.

Benefic II, Miasma II, Ruin II and IV, and Aero III are totally different, non-straight-upgrade spells too.

I feel like they should have used -ga and such to differentiate between different effects, and numbers for straight upgrades, or something. As weird as Thundaga II would be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ryanbomber posted:

I feel like they should have used -ga and such to differentiate between different effects, and numbers for straight upgrades, or something. As weird as Thundaga II would be.

That's exactly what FFXI does.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

They should do that anyway because the -ra -ga naming convention is sweet as hell. Firaga sounds like it’s going to gently caress someone up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

orcane posted:

If you have leves to burn going with specific or quick exploration can speed it up (quick exploration can be streaky, there will be days they keep bringing you fish worth less XP than just the last regular venture you have access to, but another day they bring some primal drop worth several times as much). But yeah it's not going to be fast.

I had a sweet streak last week where I got pure white dye and then two sets of jet black dye in a row from some quick ventures. Easiest 3+ million gil I ever made.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They should do that anyway because the -ra -ga naming convention is sweet as hell. Firaga sounds like it’s going to gently caress someone up.

I still wish they'd just gone with that naming convention in the English version here, even if "Fire" and "Fira" isn't any less confusing in their relationship than "Fire" and "Fire II." I mean I appreciate that they slipped in an amusing lore book to explain the numbered spell names but I still prefer the mainline FF naming convention.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CeallaSo posted:

I mean, they could remove TP and then make MP a static resource the way TP currently is, i.e. "you have 10k MP and spell costs X amount, and will continue to have that cost regardless of how many levels you gain." I don't think there would be anything wrong with that.

I'd love for them to do this (and like other people say, Piety could then just add some flat amount per point).

There'd be some weirdness with the fact that 500 Piety adds visibly less MP at level 80 than it does at level 70, but, hell, Spellspeed already has that problem and once you're maxed out it's not an issue.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Total casual here but it seems like the "simple" solution for healers is to just add a shield stance to WHM and regen stance/whatever to SCH.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Argas posted:

Total casual here but it seems like the "simple" solution for healers is to just add a shield stance to WHM and regen stance/whatever to SCH.

Yes, homogenize the already really similar healers even more.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Harrow posted:

I still wish they'd just gone with that naming convention in the English version here, even if "Fire" and "Fira" isn't any less confusing in their relationship than "Fire" and "Fire II." I mean I appreciate that they slipped in an amusing lore book to explain the numbered spell names but I still prefer the mainline FF naming convention.

On the other hand, I love the FF series, but I don't know what they'd do for Fire VI and I can guarantee it would be incomprehensible. It's way more straight forward to just have numbers

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SonicRulez posted:

On the other hand, I love the FF series, but I don't know what they'd do for Fire VI and I can guarantee it would be incomprehensible. It's way more straight forward to just have numbers

-da and -za are suffixes that have been used in past SE games. :v: So that's up to 6 already.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah that sounds awful to deal with.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Argas posted:

That's called AST

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Fira fira firedaze

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fire
Fira
Firara
Firarara

There done.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The five levels of Fire:

Fire
Fiire
Fiiire
Fivre
Fvre

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean the names are already fira and firaga and firaja in Japanese, so it makes no difference from the dev perspective. I'd imagine that they'll just... not make a Fire 7, because there's no reason for that to exist. It's purely a translation issue.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Flare 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scathe
Scather
Scathest

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Triplecastmore
Triplecastmost

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This exists in FFXI

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Flare_II

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

poll the players ingame and call it another Council of the Magi or something, implement the results next patch cycle

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will say that, though my real opinion is that I prefer the -ra/-ga/-ja spell names, there is something pleasingly old-school about the numbered spells for someone like me who grew up playing what we thought were Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES. Not to mention the hilariously dramatic spell chants that characters would sometimes say in Final Fantasy Tactics only to end them by yelling "Fire 2!" like it was some kind of badass thing to say.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Call Fire 2 Mafire and Fire 3 Firela.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean when it comes to name translation I wish Monk got the Samurai treatment or at least more direct translations of the Japanese skill names. Like sam it should have silly levels of calling your attacks.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zettaflare

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Call Fire 2 Mafire and Fire 3 Firela.

Flare becomes Mafiredyne

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Flare
Flare 2: Flarewell to Flesh

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Flare
Flare, but written in all-caps block Impact font

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Foul
Foula
Foulaga

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Merton 2

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Do the same thing for weaponskills. Midare Setsugekkaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
ppl get mad about samurai skills having japanese names but now want to have to memorize 5 suffixes for each ability