Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rightyo, Barbas it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
:chloe:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doc Hawkins posted:

I had forgotten this and I don't like it.

I'll be more specific: I want quests and dialogue that at least nod to the situation in that house.

I like how this quest also has the orc upstairs who stands next to a big dumb rock, and you're supposed to divine that this dude is the amazing sculptor who Malacath needs to rebuild his shrine. I love not having quest arrows, but I needed a guide to figure that out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I am trying out TR for the first time in years but whenever I get near a mainland location it's filled with yellow question marks and the game shuts down.

I think I may have done something wrong.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I am trying out TR for the first time in years but whenever I get near a mainland location it's filled with yellow question marks and the game shuts down.

I think I may have done something wrong.

I'm guessing you forgot to register your BSAs.

Otherwise I dunno but it's a first guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Private Speech posted:

I'm guessing you forgot to register your BSAs.

Otherwise I dunno but it's a first guess.

I’m betting all my chips on this. Make sure the BSA is listed in numeric order underneath the Morrowind and expansion in the “archive” section of your Morrowind.ini file.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/about/frequently-asked-questions/bsa

Now with all known and replicatable edge cases.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I like morrowind but distinctly remember a Morag Tong quest where the directions are something like “past the lava lake, by the dead tree” in a wasteland full of lava lakes and dead trees

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Furia posted:

I like morrowind but distinctly remember a Morag Tong quest where the directions are something like “past the lava lake, by the dead tree” in a wasteland full of lava lakes and dead trees

That's true but also there were other details. Lots of quests in Morrowind are like that, but they actually describe the scenery and what not. And in doing so you even learn what cool words like "foyada" mean.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Even in Skyrim, having a map and developing a sense of roads and landmarks is infinitely more satisfying than just barreling over the mountains toward the big white Dorito.
Granted, the latter option is often funnier.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

chaosapiant posted:

That's true but also there were other details. Lots of quests in Morrowind are like that, but they actually describe the scenery and what not. And in doing so you even learn what cool words like "foyada" mean.

The directions are usually good if you follow them precisely, but occasionally they are bullshit. My favorite is the Imperial Cult quest where you're told to find a body on the "slopes" of Mount Kand when it's actually at the peak of the mountain.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

The directions are usually good if you follow them precisely, but occasionally they are bullshit. My favorite is the Imperial Cult quest where you're told to find a body on the "slopes" of Mount Kand when it's actually at the peak of the mountain.

I deliberately put in a badly signposted search quest for something on the slopes of Mt Assasnibibi in the original version of Muffinwind, with directions given by an NPC with a noted poor sense of direction, as an homage to that particular one

I did change it in the Enhanced 2.0 Edition because I had by that point learned that making fun of something by doing it and going "haha this sucks doesn't it" is a poor form of humour

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I did change it in the Enhanced 2.0 Edition because I had by that point learned that making fun of something by doing it and going "haha this sucks doesn't it" is a poor form of humour

But mostly because of the annoying bug reports from people who didn't get the joke I'm guessing

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The first Redoran quest where you kill mudcrabs is my favourite. You get convoluted directions that will see you get lost when all you have to do is walk in a straight line west from ald-ruhn

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Whorelord posted:

The first Redoran quest where you kill mudcrabs is my favourite. You get convoluted directions that will see you get lost when all you have to do is walk in a straight line west from ald-ruhn

I have never understood this and I always thought it was really clear and simple.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

chaosapiant posted:

I like how this quest also has the orc upstairs who stands next to a big dumb rock, and you're supposed to divine that this dude is the amazing sculptor who Malacath needs to rebuild his shrine. I love not having quest arrows, but I needed a guide to figure that out.

The townspeople have a gossip trail that leads to him. (Although it might end at "an Orc in the Orc house," I don't remember, but there are only like five of them. You can just talk to them all.)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Creeper is the orc's fucktoy. They give him one (1) Septim every time they gently caress and cum in him because it makes him feel extra debased.

This is how he makes 5000 Septims every day.

e: not making a quest about this

well that is one way to shut down discussion

Doc Hawkins posted:

Rightyo, Barbas it is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

But mostly because of the annoying bug reports from people who didn't get the joke I'm guessing

I still get emails about it from people who apparently failed to understand the giant 72 point font on the mod page saying "PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION HERE AND NOT THIS ONE THANK YOU".

it has been some time

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Directions in Morrowind make more sense if you consider it from the designer's POV. They wrote all the directions from a bird's eye view of a fully explored map. If you get directions that say, from the lava lake, go to the map and look for a lava lake in that exact direction from the map screen.

But wandering around lost, with a swarm of cliff chasers stuck on level geometry still thirsting for your blood, is a necessary part of the game.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

captain innocuous posted:

Directions in Morrowind make more sense if you consider it from the designer's POV. They wrote all the directions from a bird's eye view of a fully explored map. If you get directions that say, from the lava lake, go to the map and look for a lava lake in that exact direction from the map screen.

But wandering around lost, with a swarm of cliff chasers stuck on level geometry still thirsting for your blood, is a necessary part of the game.

I don't think I'll ever forget where Punabi and Sulipund are, for the rest of my days.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I literally did those quests yesterday and had no problem with the directions

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I said it hundreds of pages ago, but I give much better directions in morrowind than I do in real life.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maybe clue in the non-nords among us?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Thorbjörn Egner (1912-1990) was a beloved children's book author and playwright who wrote many of the classics of Scandinavian children's literature in the mid 20th century and has had a huge impact on the culture of the Nordic countries. His best known work includes:

Folk og røvere i Kardemomme by (People and Robbers in Cardamomtown)
A story about the townsfolk of a small peaceful town somewhere in the Maghreb. The town is beset by three bumbling robbers who after a failed kidnapping learn their lesson and become productive members of society.

Klatremus og de andre dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen (The Animals of Hakkebakkeforest)
After being continually harassed by a fox the animals of the forest band together and make it law that all the animals in the forest should be friends and then sing a song about the importance of vegetarianism.

Karíus og Baktus (Karíus and Baktus)
Two small troll-like men have made their home in the teeth of a young boy called Jens. They torment the boy and demand sweets but are eventually driven from the mouth by the combined efforts of a dentist and a toothbrush. They are still used as bogeymen to scare children into brushing their teeth.

There is literally no connection between any of his work and the Elder Scrolls which is why I thought it was an amusing idea to combine the two along with really bad puns.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought it was an amusing idea

That's where you're wrong

Although ill take that over barbas fanfic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I thought those images were just really high concept shitposts and smiled serenely at each and every one

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

smiled serenely

the buddha of bad posts

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hello, I'm the other guy that laughed at this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Don't disrespect the cultural output of nords it's a very overlooked genre of tanrielic literature

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Folk og røvere i Kardemuatra

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

wait can we still post shitposts here

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drarayne thelas is black with red eyes she is a dunmer from balmora not a night elf from goldshire stop bluewashing vvardenfell :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

S'wit

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my fondest memories of Morrowind was the first time I found the cave of the incarnate. I'd been wandering around the ash desert for what seemed like weeks in an ash-storm getting picked apart by the wild life. It felt really cool to finally come across those doors and get inside. Later I realized that I'd only been wandering in circles in the same 100 sq ft of area for all of about 20 minutes. But man did it feel epic!

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
just found morrowind hiding in the back of my steam library, is it actually worth playing through again these days or should I install skyrim instead?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd say it's worth it. It's a very different game from Skyrim.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Morrowind is a good game, play it please.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It’s a game worth playing, even if just as a relic to see how hints have changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Thanks, i'll get it installed and see what i remember at the weekend.