Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I contend that the Eighties have been ruined forever by Ernest Cline.

That's like saying the Fred Durst fucktape ruined sex. Just don't watch/read/listen to it lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TotalLossBrain posted:

counterpoint: Carpenter Brut

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's like saying the Fred Durst fucktape ruined sex. Just don't watch/read/listen to it lmao.

Sure, it's as easy as going your whole life avoiding goatse. Just don't look at it, lmao.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, exactly! Why would anybody want to avoid either of those?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sure, it's as easy as going your whole life avoiding goatse. Just don't look at it, lmao.

Now I'm curious; what, exactly, did goatse ruin for you?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TotalLossBrain posted:

Or, you know, Ronald Reagan.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The eighties loving sucked outside computers being fun and manchildren going all 80S KIDS need to get something new to obsess over before all our culture is just reboots of children's franchises from 1985 and synthwave youtubes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

barbecue at the folks posted:

The eighties loving sucked outside computers being fun and manchildren going all 80S KIDS need to get something new to obsess over before all our culture is just reboots of children's franchises from 1985 and synthwave youtubes.

I'm okay with the synthwave videos on YouTube.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Webcomics are kind of a relic.

here's an Oral History of some

Weird that it just glosses over PvP, Penny Arcade, Sexy Losers, 8bit Theatre, Megatokyo, Exploitation Now, Sinfest...

There was a lot of poo poo out there even in 2000, 2001. Seems like they gathered a bunch of creators from where the Questionable Content guy is from and just had them tell their slice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The eighties had a welfare state so no they didn't suck they were literally the best possible decade. (:lol: if you didn't have one in the eighties; your parents and grandparents all sucked rear end and voted for fascists or communists :laffo:)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Weird that it just glosses over PvP, Penny Arcade, Sexy Losers, 8bit Theatre, Megatokyo, Exploitation Now, Sinfest...

There was a lot of poo poo out there even in 2000, 2001. Seems like they gathered a bunch of creators from where the Questionable Content guy is from and just had them tell their slice.

how are they gonna talk webcomics without achewood and PBF

I didnt read the article, so maybe they did? :iiam:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Well, they did manage to get their dig in at Penny Arcade:

quote:

We were always aware we had found a way to express our views and say things directly to a massive audience. But as Spidey says, you can’t just have the power. You need to take responsibility, too.

Nothing against the Penny Arcade creators, but I always got a proto-GamerGate feeling from their audience. Their fans seemed like a very hostile, resentful group of people.

I'm basically a superhero because I made a comic nobody read... now I'm not saying Penny Arcade is gamergators, but, well...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Criticizing a work based on its hypothetical audience is all kinds of :psyduck: who the gently caress is that guy anyway?

(That was a rhetorical question.)

Especially since there's like 40 000 things in Penny Arcade you could criticize it for.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Criticizing a work based on its hypothetical audience is all kinds of :psyduck: who the gently caress is that guy anyway?

(That was a rhetorical question.)

Especially since there's like 40 000 things in Penny Arcade you could criticize it for.

Yeah, you could criticize PA for how their art started going downhill in 2005ish and never got better, or how their jokes had basically gone to poo poo well before the dickwolves, or how the one guy's blog posts were always pretentious garbage (especially rich since he considered himself an intellectual but basically read only garbage fantasy)

But anyway the criticism comes from the famed Jon Rosenberg, creator of well-known comics "Goats" and "Scenes from a Multiverse"!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, you could criticize PA for how their art started going downhill in 2005ish and never got better, or how their jokes had basically gone to poo poo well before the dickwolves, or how the one guy's blog posts were always pretentious garbage (especially rich since he considered himself an intellectual but basically read only garbage fantasy)

Well I was thinking more along the lines of: it loving sucks lol but sure.

Pham Nuwen posted:

But anyway the criticism comes from the famed Jon Rosenberg, creator of well-known comics "Goats" and "Scenes from a Multiverse"!

I'm sorry I BISed those.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This article has forced me to contemplate whether it is sadder if Sluggy Freelance is still being written or if it has stopped.

Dont ruin it for me, the suspense is the only positive memory I have of the comic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What was that "old" webcomic that was a stick figure?

e: NetBoy? I think that's it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Motherfuckin Megatokyo is still running. Last update was May 2018.
I give Piro a lot of poo poo for his content update schedule and posts, but it looks like he finally evolved his art a bit. Also looks like he's dealing with rough family age-related poo poo. So I hope at least that MT has made him happy somewhat.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

PBF guy gets a quote about freaking out because he was linked by a popular site and he thought his closet-housed Pentium 1 server was going to poo poo itself.
But, uh, nothing else. Which is weird considering how renowned it is.

Achewood gets a side-mention but no interview.

It's just weird one of them was joking about being one of like, two webcomics in 2003 when Keenspot was a thing since 2000.

It's basically an oral history of Topato Inc and the way the landscape changed from Merch funded creators to Patreon

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I had a fondness for the 80's because I was ages 0-8, and spent a lot of time playing in dirt with transformers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FilthyImp posted:

It's just weird one of them was joking about being one of like, two webcomics in 2003 when Keenspot was a thing since 2000.

He says he had only heard of Achewood, his own, and then someone emailed him with a link to their webcomic. He wasn't saying there were only 3, he had only heard of three at the time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

He says he had only heard of Achewood, his own, and then someone emailed him with a link to their webcomic. He wasn't saying there were only 3, he had only heard of three at the time.

dino comics guy from 2003 posted:

The first comic I read was Achewood, which is probably the best webcomic ever. It didn’t have a links page, so I thought Achewood invented webcomics. Mine was the second webcomic on the internet.
It's just a weird statement even if it's a joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Context clues can be tricky sometimes.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

StrongBad emails were better than any web-comic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Nipples posted:

StrongBad emails were better than any web-comic.

:yeah:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

Context clues can be tricky sometimes.
I don't want to live in a world where my bad videogame and faux anime webtoons go unrecognized as the very brick and mortar of the entire webcom industry.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Openly insufferable but accurate statement: I had basically lost interest in reading webcomics by the time most of these "early" webcomics even started; how old does that make me? Once Jerkcity stopped amusing me and B0N3D00D & PLaTeDeWD stopped updating I felt like it was all over, we had hit the end of Internet comics

Oh I guess I was into PVP at first, which is vaguely shameful now.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I read Exploitation Now, Sexy Losers, Megatokyo, PvP, and Penny-Arcade religiously while in junior high, sometime in 2000-2003. That's probably not even all of them. Oh, and Something Positive! And Sinfest. Jesus Christ that's a lot of bad comics. :whitewater:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Some of my fondest memories of university are of trolling the megatokyo community forums and getting the entire campus banned.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I read Exploitation Now, Sexy Losers, Megatokyo, PvP, and Penny-Arcade religiously while in junior high, sometime in 2000-2003. That's probably not even all of them. Oh, and Something Positive! And Sinfest. Jesus Christ that's a lot of bad comics. :whitewater:

I read a lot of webcomics in high school because they were the 56k modem equivalent of a Netflix binge: find one you've never read, go back to the first comic, and just plow through the archives. Once you've cached the rest of the website, you're really only fetching the individual comics, so you could actually read pretty quickly.

I followed Penny Arcade devotedly in HS even though I didn't really play games; I binged through most of User Friendly before realizing it was pretty garbage; got most of the way through Something Positive until I realized how loving insufferable the dialog was. A friend pointed me at Megatokyo and I read a pretty good chunk of it, but IIRC there was a collaborator who left early on and without his efforts the artist disappeared entirely up his own rear end.

Other poo poo I remember reading at some point:

• 8-bit Theater: got convolutedly dumb as most of this poo poo does when it goes on too long
  • CAD: nothing need be said
  • Mac Hall: I remember nothing about this
  • VG Cats: cats! video games! It's not penny arcade, they're cats!
  • some other lovely webcomic where I think a guy built a robot out of a Mac? I know CAD did this too so I assume one ripped off the other

Now, of course, I consume only the finest imported mangas :lofty:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didnt read the article, so maybe they did? :iiam:

achewood is out because it seems like they mostly dug up Jeph Jacques' inner circle for this (and, tbf, that inner circle includes Ryan North who is probably the biggest legit mainstream success out of that era)

Chris Onstad lives on the opposite side of the country from Jeph Jacques, the two do not even remotely get along, and their fans loving hate each other with the fury of a million suns

(the achewood facebook groups contained one specifically for talking about how QC is worthless misogynistic garbage and Jeph should get his hands crushed into powder for writing it)

e: regarding PBF I think that guy's mostly just kind of a recluse

e2: hahahaha I love how they go out of their way to use one of the first QCs, when it looked like complete poo poo and not technically-competent-but-bland the way it is now

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Apr 8, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wanna see one of those galaxy-brain memes (or something similar) showing the progress of Penny Arcade's art

(early) "boring, barely competent, but at least the jokes are funny"
(soon) "hey these characters are getting some cool unique designs and the artist is improving fast"
(later) "holy poo poo this stuff is stylish, this guy got some art game now"
(then) "WOAH HOLD ON TOO FAR TOO FAR WTF :supaburn:"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I wanna see one of those galaxy-brain memes (or something similar) showing the progress of Penny Arcade's art

(early) "boring, barely competent, but at least the jokes are funny"
(soon) "hey these characters are getting some cool unique designs and the artist is improving fast"
(later) "holy poo poo this stuff is stylish, this guy got some art game now"
(then) "WOAH HOLD ON TOO FAR TOO FAR WTF :supaburn:"

galaxy brain: BUCK TEETH AND TUMBLR NOSE

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Peak penny arcade art was 2009 or so. Stylish characters, detailed backgrounds, etc.

Then everything went all Ren & Stimpy wack.

(Note, "peak" relative to itself. It's never been good.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No one used to read Roomies!/It's Walky? It's back, in college form, at Dumbing of Age!
It's really kind of trippy knowing that and, like, Wapsi Square are these huge decades-long stories now. I guess that's kind of a cool part of webcomics, allowing people to just keep telling stories.

Pham Nuwen posted:

A friend pointed me at Megatokyo and I read a pretty good chunk of it, but IIRC there was a collaborator who left early on and without his efforts the artist disappeared entirely up his own rear end.
That was Largo/Rodney. That's always been a weirdo thing that happened. I imagine a large part of the rift was "Hey d00d, uh, we need to like keep a regular schedule otherwise all our readers will just forget we're a thing / Hey can we, like, get on the plot about the characters trying to raise money and go home and having fun adventures? I'm not sure where a half-angel robot maid girl fits in when the last chapter was the Piro character trying to maybe talk to a girl he saw on a subway???"

the wiki explains it thusly:

WeebComic Drama posted:

Piro/Gallagher:
"While things were good at first, over time we found that we were not working well together creatively. There is no fault in this, it happens. I've never blamed Rodney for this creative 'falling out' nor do I blame myself. Not all creative relationships click, ours didn't in the long run."

Largo/Rodney:
"After this he approached me and said either I would sell him my ownership of MegaTokyo or he would simply stop doing it entirely, and we'd divide up the company's assets and end it all. This was right before the MT was to go into print form, and I really wanted to see it make it into print, rather [than] die on the vine."

Come to think of it, that's a big reason why Piro's self-pitying posts and update schedule were hugely grating to me, as was his constant appeal that MT was like a sidejob prelude to whatever half-done CLAMP style manga-doodles he had worked on a month ago.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Apr 8, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Was Sinfest ever bad?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Pham Nuwen posted:

• some other lovely webcomic where I think a guy built a robot out of a Mac? I know CAD did this too so I assume one ripped off the other

Hackles? http://hackles.org/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Star Man posted:

Was Sinfest never bad?
:shepface:
His running count of Syndicate rejections was cute at first and then I think it just made him bitter.

But that was some clean-rear end linework for a while. Apparently there's deep lore now?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh I guess I was into PVP at first, which is vaguely shameful now.

I was into PvP as well, but started to lose interest when Kurtz decided he wanted to try and get the comic into newspapers and become the modern Garfield.

Webcomics seemed hip and cool at the time, but if you're actively trying to get in with thousand year old cartoonists and have your work featured in the deadest, lamest medium, it sort of puts a downcast on the whole thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wow that's bad in an almost charming way. No, the one I'm thinking of was better drawn but much, much stupider. I remember a lot of "fanservice" in the mix too.

Edit: gently caress, I found it: http://www.applegeeks.com/ It's even worse than I remember, christ. There's a CAD crossover:

edit 2: this guy was definitely jerking it to some of the stuff he drew

Pham Nuwen has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FilthyImp posted:

:shepface:
His running count of Syndicate rejections was cute at first and then I think it just made him bitter.

But that was some clean-rear end linework for a while. Apparently there's deep lore now?

Deep lore is a natural occurrence when you've been writing the same comic for twenty years.