Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

More evidence of their "flight model" being one hack after another. Apparently they're simulating gravity by occasionally moving the ship "down" - where "down" is considered "where the bottom of the ship is."

Another situation where in any other game, whatever works is fair, but this is the land of fidelity and lies - how did Elite manage it and the magical Crobbler can't?

No, they are stimulating gravity (and drag) by altering the "ghost" thrust in your ship. So they are just increasing the thrust on the wrong side. Once you deactivate the thrust system your ship will often float.

But don't deactivate the whole ship (or run out of fuel) or it will switch state to the fps (not the in-Atmo) physics system and fall like a rock when the actual gravity vector is activated.

Elite managed it by not being idiots. SC has at least four different physic models "working" side to side: fps (one version for stations, another for planets), space, in-atmo (a hack of the space one), and physics grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The second link goes to Leonard Skinly's Twitter account.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ahahahaha remember how we talked about how gravity is treated as a simple thrust effect upon your ship?

It totally is, and they just stuck it to the top of the spaceship

:lol:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

No, they are stimulating gravity (and drag) by altering the "ghost" thrust in your ship. So they are just increasing the thrust on the wrong side. Once you deactivate the thrust system your ship will often float.

But don't deactivate the whole ship (or run out of fuel) or it will switch state to the fps (not the in-Atmo) physics system and fall like a rock when the actual gravity vector is activated.

Elite managed it by not being idiots. SC has at least four different physic models "working" side to side: fps (one version for stations, another for planets), space, in-atmo (a hack of the space one), and physics grid.

I remember a big bullshit ATV where they went over how the thrust system wasn't "faked" like other games'. Each maneuvering thruster actually did something, and if you lost too many you wouldn't be able to maneuver anymore.

:classiclol:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I remember a big bullshit ATV where they went over how the thrust system wasn't "faked" like other games'. Each maneuvering thruster actually did something, and if you lost too many you wouldn't be able to maneuver anymore.

Someone just post that old gif of the thrusters spinning around wildly as a ship tries the most basic of maneuvers , none of them pointing anywhere near where they should be

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Ahahahaha remember how we talked about how gravity is treated as a simple thrust effect upon your ship?

I mean, I know I shouldn't be surprised by this poo poo at this point, but god drat, CIG. Come on.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Gravity is a simple thrust effect though.

How else would you do it?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Hey, look! Working doors!

yeah john carmack was a programming genious wasnt he.
unfortunately he was no great visionary.
thats why doom was missing the core features we expect in a true classic game like:

- macrotransactions
- a weekly show
- sign language
- foip
- a dedicated and controlled forum
- a wankpod

that is why doom has barely any legacy and was soon completely forgotten

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

And how CIG where not cheating with the first person camera actually being in your players head, only to have a ridiculous amount of head sway/jank/bob which they then had to make a system to counter their own original dumb unified animation system.

And after all this time it still looks like an amateur attempt from the late 90s.

"Never been done before"

Chris Roberts is a game design clown .... But a very sexy bear.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dementropy posted:

The second link goes to Leonard Skinly's Twitter account.

Lol.

Just lol if you can't explain "Technical Debt" as a developer/programmer.

loving lol. God drat, tojal!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol.

Just lol if you can't explain "Technical Debt" as a developer/programmer.

loving lol. God drat, tojal!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt

:reddit: ARGH I CAN'T WRAP MY HEAD AROUND THIS ITS SO COMPLEX!

:what: "Technical debt (also known as design debt or code debt) is a concept in software development that reflects the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer."

:reddit: ...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
tojal's either a bigger idiot than hahahahahahahaahahahaha who am I kidding those fuckers are all equally stupid.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

tojal's either a bigger idiot than hahahahahahahaahahahaha who am I kidding those fuckers are all equally stupid.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nah, I legit think tojal is the dumbest. He's so apocalyptically stupid it's hard to understand how he functions on a day to day basis. The other day he got into an argument with King_Kroket (the dude who actually sees and accurately describes the issues with development but hates goons so much he'll never admit it) about something and accused him of being a refund troll.

A cursory glance at kroket's history would show we literally had to ban him for spamming "lol hate sub" in every thread to try and make people mad. Tojal is mind-bogglingly stupid, which makes it :discourse: that he and Vertisce seem to have teamed up lol

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
The cast of sordid backers grows thin. Those same names keep popping up. Apparently. What do I know? I only gobble up these reddit copypastas, because I'm afraid to take the plunge and go read the originals.

Tojal's rants make him more like an elder machine-spirit soother than a senior software engineer, and seemingly he might be the most horrid guy to work with. Or could this be that only SC triggers such behaviour? Or should I just go watch the two latest episodes of Discovery instead of trying to conduct futile personality analysis of a wall of text?

Choices.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah, I legit think tojal is the dumbest. He's so apocalyptically stupid it's hard to understand how he functions on a day to day basis.

He's actually more bad faith than that. His bit on PCI was from wikipedia and used an irrelevance to talk about it to try and reinforce his lack of knowledge. Software engineers don't deal with PCI, that's a job for Networks and Netsec.

As for their constant insistence that chargebacks are 'fraud', they're completely and utterly confused about the process required to get a chargeback in the first place, as well as remedying of injury. For one thing _fraud_ has a very high bar to pass in terms of proof; we had a very long conversation with Derek about throwing it around as a concept because he was _absolutely certain_ that selling jpegs was a crime, and I pointed out that a _good faith attempt_ to deliver indicates anything _but_ fraud.

In fact, the only times you'll see fraud prosecuted is usually around wire fraud, which is _entirely_ cut and dried, mainly because you have to sign the piece of paper that incriminates you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The thing is, it takes a certain amount of low cunning to argue in bad faith that way. That SC Bursar guy was pretty good at it, and Vertisce, for as many galaxy brained takes as he has, can do it. Tojal is - like fandred in some ways - pure, unfiltered stupid. Even when he tries a logic trap or to cite wikipedia as his own work, he telegraphs is so hard it's almost impossible to miss. He's a dumb guy trying to keep up with slightly less dumb guys, and it shows.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing is, it takes a certain amount of low cunning to argue in bad faith that way. That SC Bursar guy was pretty good at it, and Vertisce, for as many galaxy brained takes as he has, can do it. Tojal is - like fandred in some ways - pure, unfiltered stupid. Even when he tries a logic trap or to cite wikipedia as his own work, he telegraphs is so hard it's almost impossible to miss. He's a dumb guy trying to keep up with slightly less dumb guys, and it shows.

lustsexy bears on his mind

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1115340881362481152

Steve must be some kind of sexy bear.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

lustsexy bears on his mind

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 8, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

Gravity is a simple thrust effect though.

How else would you do it?

It is a simple vector effect but the thing is that they cannot use the vectors provided by cryengine to do that because those are part of the fps physics engine, not the in-atmo one. So they have to work with what they have, and what they have is thrusters, and the thrusters are attached to the ship, and the ship moves around, so it's possible to gently caress up, so of course they did.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Steve is a pretty cool guy :trustme:

Anyway, anything new in the world of SC? Only thing I watched in the last 2-3 weeks is a 3.5 video from FailureToReport and it seems everything is going as smooth as usual for CIG. When will people finally stop giving them money? For me that whole Star Citizen joke has worn out and I want to see the season finale sooner rather than later. We had paying for jpegs, paying for for space monokels, paying for imaginary land, paying for ship names, Ben Lesnick, killer doors, nightmarish, deskeletized people... I think we really saw it all (well, except for a game, of course) and I want the conclusion. Now :argh:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Agony Aunt posted:

He will continue to back as long as he thinks it is worth it. I'd like to know, what loving computer game is worth even close to 3k? I can't think of any computer game ever that would have been worth thousands of dollars, not even games i spent years playing.

If you had a wow subscription from day one, you would have given blizzard nearly $3000 by now.

But in return you would have gotten 15 years of a real game you can play.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

ggangensis posted:

Anyway, anything new in the world of SC? Only thing I watched in the last 2-3 weeks is a 3.5 video from FailureToReport and it seems everything is going as smooth as usual for CIG. When will people finally stop giving them money? For me that whole Star Citizen joke has worn out and I want to see the season finale sooner rather than later. We had paying for jpegs, paying for for space monokels, paying for imaginary land, paying for ship names, Ben Lesnick, killer doors, nightmarish, deskeletized people... I think we really saw it all (well, except for a game, of course) and I want the conclusion. Now :argh:

I think you'll be disappointed. They've got enough money to keep going for a year or two, maybe more.

The thing is Star Citizen will always be too poo poo for them to release it to press reviews. They've made so many absurd promises they can't ever say it's feature locked or half the backers will lose their minds. They're stuck in perma-alpha collecting more and more money. When it's a decade old, has collected 300 million (+ investor funds) and it's still this janky, barren alpha it's going to be even more of a joke than now.

Both the time spent and money received work against Star Citizen's credibility.

Get ready for the long haul.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peter.Quint posted:

I think you'll be disappointed. They've got enough money to keep going for a year or two, maybe more.

Up until the Beta release, at least. They got some breathing room. After that, though, it's going to be touch and go as they'll have to show something like progress to the stated goal of pushing out the single player campaign that everyone has already paid for.

It's actually kinda fun to see what they've _stopped_ doing as they chase the release.

Peter.Quint posted:

Duke Nukem Forever was fifteen years. They're halfway.

Edit: Looks like $20 million according to George B? Lets be generous and double it.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 8, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peter.Quint posted:

The thing is Star Citizen will always be too poo poo for them to release it to press reviews. They've made so many absurd promises they can't ever say it's feature locked or half the backers will lose their minds. They're stuck in perma-alpha collecting more and more money. When it's a decade old, has collected 300 million (+ investor funds) and it's still this janky, barren alpha it's going to be even more of a joke than now.

Both the time spent and money received work against Star Citizen's credibility.

Then funding tracker is amazingly consistent, with every hour thousands of dollars pouring in, plus the odd spike from ship sales or perhaps a whale splurging.

In recent months the average hourly rate seems to have increased as well.

Maybe this is more people subscribing (for what, i have no idea, since subscription value has significantly decreased). Maybe the whole funding tracker is just one big lie. No idea.

But it does appear the backers are not yet milked dry and will continue to fund this thing for years to come. Which is pretty good, since it needs years before they can even do a soft release of a 1.0. As you said, any sort of hard release, ta-da, here is the real 1.0, is probably not an option, because at that point they would be meaured against what they promised for the game on release.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Then funding tracker is amazingly consistent, with every hour thousands of dollars pouring in, plus the odd spike from ship sales or perhaps a whale splurging.

In recent months the average hourly rate seems to have increased as well.

Maybe this is more people subscribing (for what, i have no idea, since subscription value has significantly decreased). Maybe the whole funding tracker is just one big lie. No idea.

But it does appear the backers are not yet milked dry and will continue to fund this thing for years to come. Which is pretty good, since it needs years before they can even do a soft release of a 1.0. As you said, any sort of hard release, ta-da, here is the real 1.0, is probably not an option, because at that point they would be meaured against what they promised for the game on release.

If we accept those financials they published doesn't that imply that the tracker is basically correct? I can believe they apply some kind of smoothing to the numbers, blend all revenue together, that kind of thing, but the idea that it's massively wrong seems like it might be one of our goon myths. They are, after all is said and done, pretty drat good at milking those whales.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

This is a pretty big reason why I follow the SC drama, I'm genuinely curious what will happen with the game in 5-10 years.

Will we ever get a disappointing "release" that enrages some of the fans, while making the True Believers worship the game even more, while being completely ignored by the greater gaming community? Will it slowly fading away into nothingness as backers quietly stop pledging money, but keeping up the facade of doing so on reddit? Or will a lawsuit annihilate the company, giving a nice Enemy for the developers to pin the failure on? I wish I could skip ahead 10 years to watch a nice hour long post-mortem on youtube.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt

:reddit: ARGH I CAN'T WRAP MY HEAD AROUND THIS ITS SO COMPLEX!

:what: "Technical debt (also known as design debt or code debt) is a concept in software development that reflects the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer."

:reddit: ...

What do you call it when you choose a hard solution now that's also worse and piles on more refactoring later than a different, easy solution that's also less labor-intensive in the long run?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Fashionable Jorts posted:

This is a pretty big reason why I follow the SC drama, I'm genuinely curious what will happen with the game in 5-10 years.

Will we ever get a disappointing "release" that enrages some of the fans, while making the True Believers worship the game even more, while being completely ignored by the greater gaming community? Will it slowly fading away into nothingness as backers quietly stop pledging money, but keeping up the facade of doing so on reddit? Or will a lawsuit annihilate the company, giving a nice Enemy for the developers to pin the failure on? I wish I could skip ahead 10 years to watch a nice hour long post-mortem on youtube.

I think Star Citizen's future is already drawn entirely in shades of beige. It'll be a sub-par MMO with a small but devoted player base using its one system to bro-slap each other around in awesome battles in space and on planets planetoids.

Squadron 42 will be a somewhat janky FMV adventure in space with minimal opportunity for player interaction which stays frosty until Episode 2, at which point it doesn't, and it disappears.

10 years from now, someone will ask "Hey man, remember that space game that pulled in 300 million dollars and was kind of dull and never really lived up to the hype?", to which the answer will probably be a collective shrug.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Or will a lawsuit annihilate the company, giving a nice Enemy for the developers to pin the failure on? I wish I could skip ahead 10 years to watch a nice hour long post-mortem on youtube.

I'm here for this, too. We've had these long vapourware development times before. We've had lofty promises turning out to mediated by reality. We've even seen expensive DLC before, but all of those in one package?

There's a point of satisfaction that some of the whales have in 'helping out a creative', but the people who got conned by the whales throwing around disposable cash and leveraging themselves to the hilt?

These are some of the same people bitching about Brie Larson thinking it would be nice for more female lead roles in the MCU. I'm guessing that there's going to be some sweet, sweet legal action coming out of this based on hurt feelings alone, never mind the whole deliciousness of arguing that thousands of people threw money at them on the basis that they might not actually release a game.

Again, future income for the 'investors' is based on the current installed base being a fraction of the proposed installed base, rather than, as we suspect, already at saturation. We're working off the basis of knowing something about the genre, environment and field, but the 'investors' are working off whatever RSI has said.

Peter.Quint posted:

If we accept those financials they published doesn't that imply that the tracker is basically correct? I can believe they apply some kind of smoothing to the numbers, blend all revenue together, that kind of thing, but the idea that it's massively wrong seems like it might be one of our goon myths. They are, after all is said and done, pretty drat good at milking those whales.

'Goon myths' almost always have a basis in fact.

Personally, I just accept the funding tracker as-is, as it's a published material by a company. That becomes important if someone has to explain why they made up numbers to publish widely, and also becomes important for people asking whether all of those accounts are actually _accurate_. Money laundering being an actual thing and all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

What do you call it when you choose a hard solution now that's also worse and piles on more refactoring later than a different, easy solution that's also less labor-intensive in the long run?

That's Star Citizen. And/or numberwang.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

A cursory glance at kroket's history would show we literally had to ban him for spamming "lol hate sub" in every thread to try and make people mad. Tojal is mind-bogglingly stupid, which makes it :discourse: that he and Vertisce seem to have teamed up lol

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Peter.Quint posted:

They specifically say that they pick and chose which items were from where. So the headline income figure in the "financials" that they released are stated to be from the tracker, NOT from their various financial accounts. So it really had to match the tracker exactly exactly since that was the source in those "financials".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Jonny Shiloh posted:

10 years from now, someone will ask "Hey man, remember that space game that pulled in 300 million dollars and was kind of dull and never really lived up to the hype?", to which the answer will probably be a collective shrug.

I have a few friends who are into gaming and are fairly knowledgeable on the subject, and even they have no idea what Star Citizen is. Some will go "oh yeah, that thing" when I explain a bit more about it, but its pretty funny how the biggest and best AAAA videogame ever has made absolutely zero impact on the gaming landscape. In ten years from now, I imagine it'll be next to impossible to find people who even cared about it.

Outside of these forums, I'm pretty sure the only times I see SC get mentioned is as a one-sentence punchline.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

I have a few friends who are into gaming and are fairly knowledgeable on the subject, and even they have no idea what Star Citizen is. Some will go "oh yeah, that thing" when I explain a bit more about it, but its pretty funny how the biggest and best AAAA videogame ever has made absolutely zero impact on the gaming landscape. In ten years from now, I imagine it'll be next to impossible to find people who even cared about it.

Outside of these forums, I'm pretty sure the only times I see SC get mentioned is as a one-sentence punchline.

Oddly, I was talking to a mate of mine about SC the other day (he's my board game/war game buddy, we nerd out over cardboard, I know right) and he mentioned a couple of his old pals from the Vanguard MMO days had moved on to Star Citizen when that folded, and were constantly trying to get him to buy into the BDSSE.

He's genuinely not interested in it (he's a pen and paper guy) so he was most amused when I showed him this thread. He's now actually started to think that his proselytising mates might have a vested interest in trying to get him involved. I'm pretty sure I didn't say "scam", "pyramid scheme" or "hot steaming pile of gaming horseshit" more than once, God knows I was tempted though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-real-life-lobbyist-was-just-permanently-banned-in-eve-online-for-corruption/

quote:

Dear Citizens of New Eden,

It is with great disappointment that I bring you the following news. Brisc Rubal has been found to be sharing confidential information with a member of his alliance that was later used by another alliance member to conduct illicit in-game transactions. As a result, the following actions have been taken:

Brisc Rubal has been removed from his role as a CSM 13 representative effective immediately and will not be able to run in any future CSM elections.
All his in-game accounts have been permanently banned from the game.
Two other players involved in this incident have received a one-year ban.
All the illicit assets and ISK gained from this incident have been confiscated.

To be fully transparent, this misconduct was brought to us by the CSM themselves as an immediate threat to the integrity of the CSM as an institution. CCP’s stance on this is clear: regardless of the type of information shared, acts like this go against everything that the Council of Stellar Management stands for and will not be tolerated under any circumstances.

The CSM is built on trust and we expect a high level of confidentiality from each member at all times. This requirement is imperative for a few reasons. Firstly, to ensure uninterrupted, close collaboration as we work together on setting up EVE Online for the best possible future. Secondly, to not have our players worry that information shared with the CSM is misappropriated and that the non-disclosure agreement is respected. Lastly, to provide all council members with a safe environment where they can freely discuss all the game-related matters without the risk of details being passed on outside the closed circle.

It is further extremely disheartening that a very productive and respected member of the council committed this infraction. However, we won’t let this hinder the great impact that the CSM had on New Eden, CCP and the community and are determined to continue improving the CSM in the future.

We would like to take the opportunity to thank CSM 13 for their transparency and their respect for the council as an institution, which was demonstrated by their coming together to condemn this kind of behavior and report it to CCP.

Some additional steps to help prevent similar conduct in future will be implemented. Starting from the next summit, we will impose a rule that prohibits electronics during CSM sessions and will take extra time to educate everyone about confidentiality, insider trading and general do’s and don’ts when it comes to operating under NDA.

The CSM 14 elections are approaching fast! Please keep an eye on the community website for a dev blog that will explain all the nitty gritty details next week
https://www.eveonline.com/article/ppne2z/brisc-rubal-removed-from-the-csm-13?origin=launcher

tl;dr - lobbying and insider trading in Eve again. But this time by a professional.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Every null CSM member does inside trading.

When the R64/T2 change in...2013?...was announced, it was plainly discoverable that people had been hoarding otherwise-worthless r64 products for weeks at great scale.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I was all, “Oh, obviously this is some kind of personal thing that makes sense in context” but it doesn’t.

Unless he’s talking about these remarks about Steve Jobs, in which case obscure :iceburn: on your colleagues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Every null CSM member does inside trading.

When the R64/T2 change in...2013?...was announced, it was plainly discoverable that people had been hoarding otherwise-worthless r64 products for weeks at great scale.

Yeah, but it's the difference between insider trading and leaking information across an NDA that allows insider trading, and they've canned people before for loving with the NDA.

There's an implication that personally identifiable might have been leaked too, and that's one of those '2% of gross product' parts of the GDPR.