Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Jones Day was sued for gender discrimination. The complaint highlights conduct that is ubiquitous across major law firms. Maybe this will finally cause a change in big firm culture?

https://twitter.com/gokpkd/status/1113522506567159820

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Maybe this will finally cause a change in big firm culture?

Lol. Nothing will force a change in big firm culture except multiple large jury verdicts. And even then the real change will be that firms get better at further hiding the behavior behind coded references to hitting hours and commitment to the firm and commitment to the client. And bringing in business and building client relationships.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The change will be hiring fewer women or the “right kind of women”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Jones Day was sued for gender discrimination. The complaint highlights conduct that is ubiquitous across major law firms. Maybe this will finally cause a change in big firm culture?

https://twitter.com/gokpkd/status/1113522506567159820

Is Jones Day the one with the fucky black box bonus structure?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Is Jones Day the one with the fucky black box bonus structure?

yep

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The change will be hiring fewer women or the “right kind of women”

"Team players only."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Sab0921 posted:

Maybe this will finally cause a change in big firm culture?

Aprils Fools Day was Monday, dude. lol

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Kurtz posted:

"Team players only."

Someday women will reach a critical mass at Firms and the Businesses that retain them. It will be a bad day for scummy guys and I look forward to it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
spoiler alert: the women who make it to the top will be the same dead-eyed soulless monsters as the men who made it to the top and nothing will change

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

spoiler alert: the women who make it to the top will be the same dead-eyed soulless monsters as the men who made it to the top and nothing will change

Coming from a country where women are extremely well represented in the field and even in top tier law firms, I can confirm that apperances have changed, substance has not. I also don't give a poo poo because I'm never taking a job at Corporate Hell World Soul Suck LLC because even collecting unemployment beats wanting to suck start a shotgun after six months. Not that they'd hire me anyway, I'm a radical after all. Not that they are hiring anyway because lol lawyer jobs. My stance is very principled and totally inconsequential, just the way I like it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Maybe somewhat less sexual harassment??

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Coming from a country where women are extremely well represented in the field and even in top tier law firms, I can confirm that apperances have changed, substance has not. I also don't give a poo poo because I'm never taking a job at Corporate Hell World Soul Suck LLC because even collecting unemployment beats wanting to suck start a shotgun after six months. Not that they'd hire me anyway, I'm a radical after all. Not that they are hiring anyway because lol lawyer jobs. My stance is very principled and totally inconsequential, just the way I like it.

Imagine being in a country where you can afford to live on unemployment.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe somewhat less sexual harassment??

Possibly for the few women who are in established positions of power. I doubt they will lift a finger to help out someone like a paralegal or intern.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Imagine being in a country where you can afford to live on unemployment.

Well, I mean it loving sucks and is no better than barely tiding you over until you get a job. And the right wing fuckers will take care of all that in good order, so you're eventually well below the poverty line while unemployed. Fuckers do the old regular song and dance with defunding, cuts, "starve the beast" while lying through their teeth about it all, and unfortunately no democracy is without its fair share of idiots, and down the toilet the spiral goes.

My personal theory is that this coincided with the fall of the sovjet union, since the capitalists now don't have any scary boogeyman to remind them the proles might rise up and demonstrate that their luxury condos are not defensible positions. That for absolutely sure was a thing over here, we literally had a left-wing party founded on the basic principle of armed insurrection against the government to establish complete state control over industry. Too bad is was too impolite to work.

But don't you worry about it, we're getting to where unemployment is a straight shoot to poverty soon. I'm sure of it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gearing up to take the bar in July!

Kill me

I'm more excited that I'm trying to get published, but that process almost costs as much as applying for the bar + barbri

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 6, 2019

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, I mean it loving sucks and is no better than barely tiding you over until you get a job. And the right wing fuckers will take care of all that in good order, so you're eventually well below the poverty line while unemployed. Fuckers do the old regular song and dance with defunding, cuts, "starve the beast" while lying through their teeth about it all, and unfortunately no democracy is without its fair share of idiots, and down the toilet the spiral goes.

My personal theory is that this coincided with the fall of the sovjet union, since the capitalists now don't have any scary boogeyman to remind them the proles might rise up and demonstrate that their luxury condos are not defensible positions. That for absolutely sure was a thing over here, we literally had a left-wing party founded on the basic principle of armed insurrection against the government to establish complete state control over industry. Too bad is was too impolite to work.

But don't you worry about it, we're getting to where unemployment is a straight shoot to poverty soon. I'm sure of it.

From work houses to a proper welfare state and back to work houses in a bit over a century. Nice going modern world.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

My personal theory is that this coincided with the fall of the sovjet union, since the capitalists now don't have any scary boogeyman to remind them the proles might rise up and demonstrate that their luxury condos are not defensible positions.

My theory is that the cold war forced the US to start giving a crap about its people so we wouldn't look bad in that area compared to the Soviets. Then the Soviet Union collapsed and the Russians did an end run, beating the US back to the Gilded Age. And it's not like China has to give a crap about it's people for at least another 25-30 years or so.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Phi230 posted:

Gearing up to take the bar in July!

Kill me

I'm more excited that I'm trying to get published, but that process almost costs as much as applying for the bar + barbri

Getting published in your law review should be free.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Someday women will reach a critical mass at Firms and the Businesses that retain them. It will be a bad day for scummy guys and I look forward to it.
lolololol. The successful women partners I know are absolute soulless monsters and savages that make many male partners look soft. Good luck getting sympathy from a woman who was supervising a huge M&A deal just before going into the delivery room.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My firm has made women partners who were at the time of the vote out on a full length maternity leave at the time, so it is getting better in some places.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sab0921 posted:

Getting published in your law review should be free.

My school's law review doesn't publish from our student body (only people in law review get to publish). They publish our faculty, law review members, and people from other schools.

I ended up submitting my article to three different writing competitions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the article i got published in law school gets cited every so often, which is cool

but uh it is always cited for factual points. i did zero factual research, every fact was cited to somewhere else. if you cite to my article for a factual point instead of the underlying article i cited, all you're doing is adding in potential error :psyduck:

well anyway i'm still a published cited author go me

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Phi230 posted:

My school's law review doesn't publish from our student body (only people in law review get to publish). They publish our faculty, law review members, and people from other schools.

I ended up submitting my article to three different writing competitions

Good luck with the bar exam - it's only April though, entirely too early to be thinking about it - take a trip or spend some time getting drunk with your friends before you join our ranks of clinically depressed addicts.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My firm got sued for sexual harassment once, but it was a woman who was doing the harassing. Very progressive.

E: alleged harassing

gvibes fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 8, 2019

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Good luck with the bar exam - it's only April though, entirely too early to be thinking about it - take a trip or spend some time getting drunk with your friends before you join our ranks of clinically depressed addicts.

This is the correct approach. Put that poo poo out of your mind until you start with the prep courses (besides signing up and everything, of course).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

evilweasel posted:

the article i got published in law school gets cited every so often, which is cool

but uh it is always cited for factual points. i did zero factual research, every fact was cited to somewhere else. if you cite to my article for a factual point instead of the underlying article i cited, all you're doing is adding in potential error :psyduck:

well anyway i'm still a published cited author go me

I’m phoneposting but this phenomenon was one of the things I researched extensively in real grad school.
E.g.
https://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b2680
It’s one of the only areas law can be a bit better in academic practices than the main academy.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I was too busy getting busy for law review.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Finished Book 3 of the Stormlight Archives, so its time for you guys to pony up some new reading recommendations.

Also, if you haven't checkout out the Broken Earth series (Book 1 - The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin) this is your reminder to do so.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

blarzgh posted:

Finished Book 3 of the Stormlight Archives, so its time for you guys to pony up some new reading recommendations.

Also, if you haven't checkout out the Broken Earth series (Book 1 - The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin) this is your reminder to do so.

Enjoying The Black Company, by Glen Cook.

Also sort of low-key jonesing for some Honor Harrington (David Weber).

And I recently read a couple of the Dresden Files books (Jim Butcher). I don't know how far I'll run with the series. The "I wear a duster and am dying breed of chivalrous" feels very... goon-y to me in a way that makes it difficult to overlook.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Perdido Street Station is pretty good, even if it takes a little while to get going.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Not sci-fi, but I’m reading The Paper Menagerie book of short stories by Ken Liu (translated books 1 and 3 of Three Body) and it’s excellent.

I said not sci fi but some of the stories are.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Give Naomi Novik’s Uprooted a go.

(Obligatory Craft Sequence recommendation if you haven’t read it yet, Gladstone does good magic as law as magic in a way that’s enjoyable to actual lawyers.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kalman posted:

Give Naomi Novik’s Uprooted a go.

(Obligatory Craft Sequence recommendation if you haven’t read it yet, Gladstone does good magic as law as magic in a way that’s enjoyable to actual lawyers.)

The Craft Sequence is solid. I like how it deals both with systems and the people said systems grind between their wheels; this without being as dehumanized and bleak as stuff by KJ Parker.

I recommended it before I think but I'll give a shout out to the series which begins with "A City of Stairs".

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Arcturas posted:

Perdido Street Station is pretty good, even if it takes a little while to get going.

I'd also second its sequel, The Scar.

I was ambivalent on the third book (Iron Council) but I didn't dislike it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Alaemon posted:

Enjoying The Black Company, by Glen Cook.

Also sort of low-key jonesing for some Honor Harrington (David Weber).

And I recently read a couple of the Dresden Files books (Jim Butcher). I don't know how far I'll run with the series. The "I wear a duster and am dying breed of chivalrous" feels very... goon-y to me in a way that makes it difficult to overlook.

Dresden is totally Butcher's Mary Sue. Enjoy the books anyway.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

Dresden is totally Butcher's Mary Sue. Enjoy the books anyway.

The writing does improve significantly over the course of the series, at least. The first couple books are rooooough.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
In which lawyers continue to ruin their lives over EVE Online.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Three immediate impressions:
Maritime law
Gold fringe
I didn't know non-albino non-dead people got that pale.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so here is the list:
- The Black Company, by Glen Cook
- The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
- The Craft Sequence Archives, bu Max Gladstone
- The Divine Cities Series, by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Broken Earth Trilogy, by NK Jemisin
- The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- The Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson

Prior Lists and Recommendations:
- Russo, Ship of Fools
- Children of Time, Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Blindsight, Peter Watts
- Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown
- Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer [Non-fiction; Muder, History, Religion]
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- The Gameshouse, Claire North
- The First Fifteen Live of Harry August, Claire North (or whatever pseudonym she used)
- Old Man's War, John Scalzi (The rest of the series sucks)
- The Aubrey–Maturin series, Ptrick O'Brian
- Hull Zero Three, Greg Bear
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
- Imperial Radch Series, Ann Leckie
- Hyperion, Dan Simmons (skip the sequels)
- Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I went back and searched out post histories, what of it.

Also, huge shout out to Nice Piece of Fish for the Three Body Problem recommendation, and RIP Mastershakeman for Sanderson's Stormlight Archives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Eminent Domain posted:

This is the correct approach. Put that poo poo out of your mind until you start with the prep courses (besides signing up and everything, of course).

Yeah, my friend spent all summer playing Civ 4 until like, a week before the exam. He spent that week stressed out and crazy, which I would not recommend, but on the other hand, he passed on the first try, and there's no reward for 100%...