Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
kraft/dinner ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Chris Knight posted:

kraft/dinner ratio
that's for the canadian military

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Wheany posted:

I want to constantly be horny when I'm using excel

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

The_Franz posted:

i watched this movie with my dad, who was a helicopter crew chief in vietnam, and this was the only part he found completely unbelievable, because that guy "would have been court marshaled in a second"

i would hope so

BORAT VOICE MY FATHER said he got serious chills from the first half of the movie. he voluntarily signed up for the marine corps in 1976

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The American military always having fancy new gadgets while bungling pretty much any real engagement is bizarre.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

The American military always having fancy new gadgets while bungling pretty much any real engagement is bizarre.

sort of built into the statement though, as the idea that continuously blowing people up until they do what you want only rarely works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, those fancy gadgets work about as a well and as reliably as any other fancy gadgets. i.e. absolute best case scenario it doesn't kill you

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

dont those things still have awful fov

the amount of overlay you get is a pretty small arc in the center year but its transparent so its probably ok

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skim Milk posted:

BORAT VOICE MY FATHER said he got serious chills from the first half of the movie. he voluntarily signed up for the marine corps in 1976
his second worst decision

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lambert posted:

the entire MIC is a grift, creating things that work costs money, its much easier to make a bunch of garbage for dirt cheap and pay off the right politicians

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
procurement is a cluterfuck from hell and all products need a mile long feature list compiled from a dozen different agencies to meet every possible niche use case

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also products have to include parts from as many different states as possible to ensure congressional support

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

holy :lol:, everything Michaelsoft removes from Chromium

no.1: safe browsing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's all goog advertising services so who cares

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

that's all goog advertising services so who cares

yeah that's a google service, makes sense that it was removed

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

I assume by “safe browsing” you mean the service that sends every URL you go to to google to verify it’s not a phishing url? if so ideally everyone turns that off unless you like to freely give away data

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vomik posted:

I assume by “safe browsing” you mean the service that sends every URL you go to to google to verify it’s not a phishing url? if so ideally everyone turns that off unless you like to freely give away data

Microsoft has their own service that does that, that's why it was removed.

At this point, Chredge still feels very incomplete - plenty of essentials missing.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
turning off all that google poo poo probably means the new chrome edge actually will run smoother lol

though i guess that depends on what they replace it with

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It’s a joke because they meant “Safe Browsing” service by Google but they removed “safe browsing” and added loads of security defects, hurr durr.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's called "smart screen" in windows, hth

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Spellcheck service and remote dev tools are unfortunate, the former because it only exists because Windows spellcheck is not good, and the latter is saying bye bye to embedded platforms. IE has worked on their tools a lot, is there a remote option if you were working on Windows embedded or their non-existent mobile platforms?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MrMoo posted:

Spellcheck service and remote dev tools are unfortunate, the former because it only exists because Windows spellcheck is not good, and the latter is saying bye bye to embedded platforms. IE has worked on their tools a lot, is there a remote option if you were working on Windows embedded or their non-existent mobile platforms?

Also, spellcheck in Chredge doesn't seem to work, yet.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so theres still literally no reason to use edge, even as a thin veneer on chrome. nice. nice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the reason is "so you don't have to deploy chrome in your sysprep image" or worry about managing updates for google's fucky bullshit, to that end i'm sure it will do just fine

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pram posted:

so theres still literally no reason to use edge, even as a thin veneer on chrome. nice. nice

how about not having fifty different components sending every conceivable aspect of your web browsing to the largest advertising company in the world?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fiedler posted:

how about not having fifty different components sending every conceivable aspect of your web browsing to the largest advertising company in the world?

Much better to have fifty different components sending every conceivable aspect of your web browsing to a minor advertising company in the world.

Also, so far Edge doesn't have Tab Mute either. That's the only reason I'd switch.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lambert posted:

Much better to have fifty different components sending every conceivable aspect of your web browsing to a minor advertising company in the world.

well... yes.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lambert posted:

Also, so far Edge doesn't have Tab Mute either. That's the only reason I'd switch.

But chrome does have tab mute

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

orange sky posted:

But chrome does have tab mute

Nope, removed with Chrome 74 (current Beta). It now only has Site Mute, which mutes that site in all tabs and across sessions - a useful feature to have in addition to tab mute, but doesn't replace tab mute at all and is much less useful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

Microsoft has their own service that does that, that's why it was removed.

At this point, Chredge still feels very incomplete - plenty of essentials missing.
That reminds me: when chredge was first announced I thought it was a really bizarre decision because all of the issues I had had when I tried edge were with the browser feeling incomplete rather than with the performance of the engine itself and starting again from scratch with chromium doesn't seem like it would help.

Maybe it will still prove to be a good decision once they finish it, though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

it is there now, only mute site on the context menu, but the little speaker on the tab itself is back.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is there now, only mute site on the context menu, but the little speaker on the tab itself is back.

Ah, I love it! Thank god the Edge team isn't copying this boneheaded design decision.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:rip: the pos is dead

specifically, windows embedded posready 2009, the last sku of windows based off xp which was still being supported, officially went eol yesterday

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

univbee posted:

:rip: the pos is dead

specifically, windows embedded posready 2009, the last sku of windows based off xp which was still being supported, officially went eol yesterday

hail satan

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

also the 1903 or whatever they're releasing in may build of windows 10 is finally going to make subsequent feature updates opt-in instead of a mandatory patch, making non-enterprise win10 more viable for use in places with absolutely garbage internet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

where is my oled xps 15, shaggar?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

also the 1903 or whatever they're releasing in may build of windows 10 is finally going to make subsequent feature updates opt-in instead of a mandatory patch, making non-enterprise win10 more viable for use in places with absolutely garbage internet

Not opt in, it just doesn't install them immediately when you're seeking for updates by clicking the button. They will still be installed automatically after some time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Not opt in, it just doesn't install them immediately when you're seeking for updates by clicking the button. They will still be installed automatically after some time.

well that's no fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

where is my oled xps 15, shaggar?

I don't know! its supposed to be here!. the Alienware m15 w/ oled is out so its probably not long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

I don't know! its supposed to be here!. the Alienware m15 w/ oled is out so its probably not long.

OLED is terrible and, therefore, haram.