Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, that reserve unit sounds like a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 7, 2023

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Apparently there was a "small" fire in HMCS Corner Brook's engineering spaces the other day. This boat is loving cursed, I tell you.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and yesterday was the implementation date for Pension For Life. April Fools'?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Was also the first day of the "Go park somewhere else" plan for Carling Campus

Gonna be interesting to see how that one unfolds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So how 'bout them Veteran Service Cards?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So how 'bout them Veteran Service Cards?

I got mine, can't wait to get my discount at Medieval Times :frog:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canuck-Errant posted:

I got mine, can't wait to get my discount at Medieval Times :frog:

You're welcome.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

thought you had to wait until summer 2019 unless you released between 2017-2018?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MA-Horus posted:

thought you had to wait until summer 2019 unless you released between 2017-2018?

2016 to 2018.

[Edit: Technically Feb 2016 and Sept 2018 but as if anyone bothers to write out their specific enrollment and release dates]

Technically 2019 as well if your release section is stupid and didn't do the paperwork before you left.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 2, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I'll be waiting till summer then, released in 2010. No rush. Not like we have a veterans Day where one can cris-cross across town to different fine dining establishments like tgi Fridays and applebees so they can press f to pay respects with free blooming onions or poo poo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone in the process is a goon, ask for stairs.

Or that damned toilet.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah I'll be waiting till summer then, released in 2010. No rush. Not like we have a veterans Day where one can cris-cross across town to different fine dining establishments like tgi Fridays and applebees so they can press f to pay respects with free blooming onions or poo poo

Same but in 2011. Can't wait to get this card and never use it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

But the CFOne card works now

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah but the veterans card is GREEN!

And it has your photo on it!

And its got foil so you can blind cashiers for better discounts

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also it uses the photo on your last service ID from when you presumably had more hair

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canuck-Errant posted:

Also it uses the photo on your last service ID from when you presumably had more hair

Half-true, it uses whatever they have on file, which could be a civilian photo. Or whatever you provided with the application.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm absolutely sending a new picture in, the less photographic evidence of my male pattern baldness at 21 the better.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Holy hell is screening for an OUTCAN a huge process.

And how hosed up the medical system is for civilian dependants. I had no idea how difficult it is for civilians to get / transfer their medical and dental records.

Universal* healthcare.

But there's a crazy awesome posting waiting at the end of it, so yay.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Who doesn't like a 14 step process with forms nested in forms and 45 differently signatures you need to get?

Get all that stuff done as soon as you can, including your DAG. Once you have your posting message, you can apply for Green Passports and Visa's (if needed), which can be a notoriously long and complicated process during their busiest time of year.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually triple that. Even getting into regs takes forever

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo the PT test score scaling was seriously overhauled recently. Point-wise I went up, but what would have been low platinum last year was only high silver this year.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Guest2553 posted:

Holy poo poo the PT test score scaling was seriously overhauled recently. Point-wise I went up, but what would have been low platinum last year was only high silver this year.

I scored a 386 / 400 and to get platinum really is tough.

Especially because on one event you are not even allowed to go at full speed.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Anyone have any idea what the timeline is like for the reserves after completing your medical? I've been looking it up and it seems like a bit of a crapshoot, but I had my second medical on February 23rd and the guy there said it would be about 5 weeks before hearing anything and it's been radio silence since.

In theory it could take as little as two weeks to go from Civilian —> Soldier, but that will largely be extended by the following factors:

1. Onus of the Applicant: You’d be surprised how often delays in the recruiting process and due to the applicant not submitting paperwork in a timely manner, not filling out paperwork properly, or not showing up to appointments at the appointed time. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case with you, so let’s move on.

2. Reliability Screening: Have you lived out of country for a lengthy period of time, or travelled significantly? Both of these will add complexity to the security screening process, with the former being particularly egregious. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait.

3. Recruiting Team: Because reserve units manage their own recruiting, if a CO doesn’t prioritize it with a good share of his or her Class A and B budgets, it will suffer from undermanning (Or, if instead of funds not being allocated, not having the necessary soldiers available) It sounds like this may be the cause for the lack of movement on your file.

Overall though, it doesn’t really matter if you don’t get in over the summer. Your first course, BMQ, will be offered during the fall. There exists no world where you would be able to take your trade course this summer, so no need to worry about your career being held back by the recruiting process at this point. As well, reserve units will “Stand down” for the summer in order to focus on higher level collective training as well as individual training, so you won’t have the advantage of attending parade nights anyways.

I’d be lying if I told you the military is all sunshine and roses (in fact it frequently is pretty terrible) If you take to it though, it’ll give you some of the best highs with the greatest people you’ll know.

So with that, good luck on your application, and good luck on course!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nofeed posted:

In theory

Helluva theory.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2023

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided to put the green pjs back on. Anyone got any hot tips on which are the best air force spec trades and which ones should be avoided?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

anything that keeps you far away from Borden would be a good pick

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

anything that keeps you far away from Borden would be a good pick

I've been on enough bases in my lifetime to know that any base is better than shilo. So Borden honestly doesn't seem that bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just don't live in Borden in February and March and you'll avoid any CFHA housing issues.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I've decided to put the green pjs back on. Anyone got any hot tips on which are the best air force spec trades and which ones should be avoided?

What did you do previously? Depending on your interests my buddy has had a lot of good things to say about AVS Tech, just finished training post-OT.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I went into AVS because it let me do electrical and electronic work on planes, and I find that poo poo super interesting. I will say that AWS is very feast or famine, but they always work in teams and that community aspect must be very reassuring if that's your jam. AVN are the hardest working trade in my sphere, and if you're mechanically-inclined it would almost certainly be super rewarding to be always busy with that stuff.

But me, I like getting a tail number, a problem, and being left largely to my own devices to solve it.

Oh, ACS exist. Yeah.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jcam posted:

What did you do previously? Depending on your interests my buddy has had a lot of good things to say about AVS Tech, just finished training post-OT.

I'm a former artillerymen, or bangboi if ya nasty. One of my arty buddies who got out around the same time I did, and who hated the artillery as much as i did got back in as either structures or systems. Cant remember which.

Structures seems to be a common trade to remuster to. Which is both enticing(so many people hopping in, its gotta be good, right? Right??) and terrifying. Terrifying because all these people keep switching from other trades and they're always recruiting them, so that must mean the trade sucks.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I went into AVS because it let me do electrical and electronic work on planes, and I find that poo poo super interesting. I will say that AWS is very feast or famine, but they always work in teams and that community aspect must be very reassuring if that's your jam. AVN are the hardest working trade in my sphere, and if you're mechanically-inclined it would almost certainly be super rewarding to be always busy with that stuff.

But me, I like getting a tail number, a problem, and being left largely to my own devices to solve it.

Oh, ACS exist. Yeah.

I was an electrician for years, and didnt really enjoy the work all that much. But also with electrical you're working 12-16 hour days for no money so your rear end in a top hat boss can charge for 5 electricians that aren't there and still complete the project on time. And I'm sure the only thing that changes is that there's no customer to gouge.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you want to stay in ops, I've heard good things about AC Op. Not all streams get spec or flight pay, but there are loads of out-of-country positions. Known a couple who retired with more time outcan than in which seems pretty wild.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I have in fact heard nothing good about AC Op, and they're run by AECs who seem wholly miserable. Also a very good chance to end up in Cold Lake on a permanent basis.

The AESOp union seems really strong and I've found few who dislike it, for another operator trade. Spec 1, as well as aircrew allowance, and even sea duty allowance if posted maritime helicopter.

Two great west coast posting opportunities, or east coast if you're so inclined. None of that prairie bullshit unless posted to the school as a MCpl.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I guess I talked to the exceptions instead of the rule then. Floating between Europe and the US with minor touch-downs at some joint school/hq in between sounds like a jammy way to go through life.

What's the deal with AECs? Other than knowing you could become a traffic controller with NAVCANADA and make double the pay for half the work.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

What's the deal with AECs? Other than knowing you could become a traffic controller with NAVCANADA and make double the pay for half the work.

It’s only 3 years oblig service too, for now. Trade is always hemorrhaging folks leaving for double the pay and half the work
The odd duck is the weapons stream (vice IFR or VFR) aka the DEO trap. Career path features staying in for a pension or getting out with minimal relevant skills and possibly not even the ability to tell cool stories of the poo poo you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2023