Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I didn't watch any of them, just a skim through and a ":lol: what the gently caress is this - I typed in 'Doctor Who whatever', how'd I end up here?".

As I recall it was just cutting huge chunks out of the stories - mostly the Doctor's speeches - how any of that would have been remotely watchable is anyones guess. I think it was just new series stuff, toning down Barrowman (which is a crime in and of itself) but this is half-remembered from about five years ago. Like, there's merits to discussing politics (or indeed any other topic in Who - given the vast expanse of media to explore them in), but that is straight up odd.

It's still not as funny as Conservapedia's attempt to rewrite the bible to reflect a conservative worldview, resulting in things like Jesus praising the free market, and that, actually, the "Rich man" in "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven" should be translated as miser, actually, as God totes loves all the rich. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jeez. The existence of a regressive DW edit is evidence that a dark mirror universe exists and can bleed into our own.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Jeez. The existence of a regressive DW edit is evidence that a dark mirror universe exists and can bleed into our own.

I would imagine their version of Inferno has the fascist Earth survive at the end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So does the original version, haha.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's impossible to make media that isn't, to some degree, political, but rewriting an entire series to fit your political worldview is the point at which you have jumped off the deep end and politics is more like a sports team you're insanely devoted to than a philosophy.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
At least it explains how we got the ending to ‘Kerblam’.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It gets stabby-er, and there's a good scene with Gwen towards the end.

Oh, and Eve Myles has a terrifying bit where she reinacts a scene from the original series. That's about it. If it's not doing it for you in the spooksy department, or as a satire of Big Finish productions, then it's probably not doing it for you.

Hmm. Maybe I'll give it a re-listen from scratch here once I let my brain dissolve the memories of the first attempt. Appreciate the thoughts!

Currently I'm catching up on the other parts of Demons of Red Lodge And Other Stories that I missed first time 'round. I always give "Special Features" a re-listen every now and again, but never any of the other stories. I love Special Features, just such a fabulous concept and well executed. I can't recommend it highly enough - the other 3 stories range from ok to good as well, so overall a pretty solid set.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's still not as funny as Conservapedia's attempt to rewrite the bible to reflect a conservative worldview, resulting in things like Jesus praising the free market, and that, actually, the "Rich man" in "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven" should be translated as miser, actually, as God totes loves all the rich. :smug:

I wonder if they picked up on the fact that, in 'servants should obey their masters' and for that matter every other place the word appears, servant should more properly be translated as slave. Seeing as it was the 1st century Roman empire and slavery was actually a thing. Seems like it'd be up their alley.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

feedmegin posted:

I wonder if they picked up on the fact that, in 'servants should obey their masters' and for that matter every other place the word appears, servant should more properly be translated as slave. Seeing as it was the 1st century Roman empire and slavery was actually a thing. Seems like it'd be up their alley.

KJV posted:

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Conservapedia "Translation" posted:

Slaves, be obedient to those that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in single-mindedness of your heart, as you are to Christ,

Conservapedia' Analysis of the text - I poo poo you not posted:

This could apply equally to modern labor relations, and to anyone engaged to work for another.

For more mind fuckery, here's their 10 rules:

quote:

1) Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias. For example, the Living Bible translation has liberal evolutionary bias; the widely used NIV translation has a pro-abortion bias.

2) Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, "gender inclusive" language, and other feminist distortions; preserve many references to the unborn child (the NIV deletes these)

3) Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level[8]

4) Utilize Terms which better capture original intent: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent; Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".

5) Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction[10] by using modern terms for it, such as "gamble" rather than "cast lots"; using modern political terms, such as "register" rather than "enroll" for the census

6) Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.

7) Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning

8) Exclude Later-Inserted Inauthentic Passages: excluding the interpolated passages that liberals commonly put their own spin on, such as the adulteress story

9) Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels

10) Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities.

To tie this back to the thread more, their Doctor Who article is mostly stolen from wikipedia, with half-hearted outrage at anyalysing its political and social themes.

quote:

Several stories in the series have been subtly or overtly political in their themes. For instance, The Green Death (1973) emphasized the dangers of pollution and big business; while the following year's Invasion of the Dinosaurs featured a contrasting menace—pro-environment extremists. Other stories have taken their themes from current news stories of the time, such as the United Kingdom's entry into the Common Market. Many of these pro-liberal stories came during the period where the show was produced by Barry Letts, whose heavily liberal and environmentalist views shaped a lot of stories in the early 1970s. Apart from this period, the original series generally did not have a particularly heavily political leaning, and in fact The Sun Makers (1977) was a conservative story that told of the dangers of heavy taxes and overly complex governments.

[...]

The lead writer of Dr. Who, Russell T Davies is known for aggressively promoting the homosexual agenda in his prior show Queer as Folk and continuing to promote it in Doctor Who (despite the fact that the show is supposed to be geared towards a young audience), with many openly homosexual or bisexual (or as the show jokes "omnisexual" due to relations with aliens) characters, including the lead of the spin-off Torchwood, Captain Jack Harkness. Davies' attitude has been contrasted with that of John Nathan-Turner, the final producer of the original series who, while being publicly known as a homosexual, never allowed this to overtly influence the stories written while he produced the show.

~Gay Agenda~

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1115984415174397955

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol Russell's "gay agenda" consisted entirely of occasionally having a character say "I'm gay btw" of course that terrified those freaks

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Let's just admit the central theme of Doctor Who - humanity sucks, until it doesn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yes, this makes sense.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I'd like to retile my bathroom with blowjob slabs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, this makes sense.

This reminded me of that coincidence with the Van Gogh painting they found.

fist4jesus posted:

I'd like to retile my bathroom with blowjob slabs.

What a weird thing to say.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, this makes sense.

"He threw my mother into a black hole"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Never mind the Time War, here’s an absolute unit

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

2house2fly posted:

Lol Russell's "gay agenda" consisted entirely of occasionally having a character say "I'm gay btw" of course that terrified those freaks

This is why I honestly don't have much of a problem with minor gay characters getting killed in modern DW the way I do in other forms of fiction.

They're literally the same as everybody else in the DW universe, there's genuinely no great weight attached to their being gay any more than there would be to another minor character being straight, so they aren't being killed because they're gay, they're being killed because they're a minor character in a Doctor Who episode.

It's genuinely progressive in a weird way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1116360848111484929

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Look Doctor, I have a companion too!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/the66ramblers/status/1116368019364515840

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

She’s back! And it’s about time!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1116658218292449280

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Awesome. This might make me give a drat about Big Finish again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

and this proves my theory that the world was literally black and white before they invented color in the late sixties

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lucie Bleeding Miller! :woop:

Edit: Oh my God for a second I thought she was rollerskating over a Daleks' head :vince:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Barry Foster posted:

Awesome. This might make me give a drat about Big Finish again.

plannin on havin a laff

"With your WOOFING and your BARKING! Driving! Me! INSANE!!"

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 12, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

and this proves my theory that the world was literally black and white before they invented color in the late sixties

Don't argue with me! When I say color, color!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, that does it. I am assigning Thursday as my Big Finish day. Between about 5:30 and 8:30, I am listening to Big Finish while I'm watching the baby and my wife is out of the house so she doesn't have to be annoyed by it.

Please scold me on Thursdays if I am not listening to Big Finish. Thanks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, that does it. I am assigning Thursday as my Big Finish day. Between about 5:30 and 8:30, I am listening to Big Finish while I'm watching the baby and my wife is out of the house so she doesn't have to be annoyed by it.

Please scold me on Thursdays if I am not listening to Big Finish. Thanks.

What’s first up?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

What’s first up?

It looks like next up on my list was The Four Doctors. I'm only nine years behind!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

gently caress off, Germany

(The release for The War Games)

https://twitter.com/luki_thejar/status/1116775938249957376

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I really loved his transition in Utopia when he went from bumbling, cranking, sadly out-of-time but very well meaning scientist to full-on master, had that nice level of unsettling to it. It actually makes me think of Graham in the last episode of the previous season at the beginning where they find out Tim is on the planet. He has that subtle shift too in his manner that felt unsettling. Would have been great if they'd left it like that, but being Season 11 they had to pause the story and have an explicit conversation about how Graham was feeling and what he was planning to do next. The script got in the way of the acting too much in Season 11.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SecretOfSteel posted:

I really loved his transition in Utopia when he went from bumbling, cranking, sadly out-of-time but very well meaning scientist to full-on master, had that nice level of unsettling to it. It actually makes me think of Graham in the last episode of the previous season at the beginning where they find out Tim is on the planet. He has that subtle shift too in his manner that felt unsettling. Would have been great if they'd left it like that, but being Season 11 they had to pause the story and have an explicit conversation about how Graham was feeling and what he was planning to do next. The script got in the way of the acting too much in Season 11.

Not to worry. As one door closes, another opens. :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll always love his,"Oh! Now I can say I was provoked! :getin:" reaction to her threatening him. Just the idea that he would a) need provocation to murder anyone and b) as if anybody would say,"Oh well fair enough I guess."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I'll always love his,"Oh! Now I can say I was provoked! :getin:" reaction to her threatening him. Just the idea that he would a) need provocation to murder anyone and b) as if anybody would say,"Oh well fair enough I guess."

“You can’t just shoot someone for threatening you! That’s not how the law works!”
“That sounds like a threat to me.”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SecretOfSteel posted:

And thankfully that wasn't all we got. He's killing it in the audios!

Daleks! Castles! Roller Skates! :getin:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Classic Who Season 10 (Pertwee's fourth season) Blu-Ray confirmed, in the best way possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The pro-est of clicks :hellyeah:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This owns :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ohhh, one of the tangential Who people I follow on Twitter had something about being in Devil’s End recently.

https://twitter.com/chrischapman81/status/1101081603126763520