Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can y'all talk me off the ledge about replacing Buzz Williams with Mike Young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mdemone posted:

Can y'all talk me off the ledge about replacing Buzz Williams with Mike Young?

Wofford had a really dope offense and he built the program from Division II to one of the best mid majors in the country. They were top 20 KenPom this year and got a 7 seed from the SoCon. I'd be really happy with that hire.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

9:20 PM on a weeknight!? Who the hell is going to watch this thing?

I have class until 9:40pm so I'm happy its late, but will reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow morning.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly UCLA offered Barnes 5mil a year (currently 3.25m at UT) and we countered, but no details on how much, but the rumor is it's a lifetime contract.

Would be pretty funny if UCLA gets two coaches lifetime contracts.

If Barnes leaves it'll be a disaster - Grant and Bone will 100% bail, 5*2020 Josiah James will be gone and 5*2021 Cody Walker would definitely decommit. We'd effectively be starting from 0 again.

UCLA is a shitshow, I can't imagine why Barnes would want to go there. Unless he thinks he can go there and turn them around in a couple years, he's 65, I can't imagine he has more than 5-6 years in him left to coach.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don't think this is that hard. Despite not having much recent success, UCLA still has the most NCAA titles and is considered by traditional folk a top-tier NCAA basketball job and Tennessee isn't. Although, I do agree that Tennessee is currently in a better position to win on the short term.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I asked my UCLA friend if you can put "got two coaches lifetime contracts" on a banner and he's very mad.

This is all because that UC Irvine coach had to go throw around some homophobic remarks. UCLA is gonna have to hire Pitino eventually.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m starting to think he’s gone. I doubt Barnes would do this if hadn’t already made his mind up. UT athletics continue to be a complete shitshow.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’m starting to think he’s gone. I doubt Barnes would do this if hadn’t already made his mind up. UT athletics continue to be a complete shitshow.

This is a dumb defeatist take. If he'd already made up his mind we'd know about it. All we know is that UCLA offered and we countered and he's mulling it over. There's a laundry list of reasons for him to stay and the only reason that people can come up with for him to go is "well UCLA used to be good". If that's enough for him to go then...okay bye I guess. It actually reflects well on our athletic program that people are trying to hire away our coaches.

e: also lol no Bruce aint coming back

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 8, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I asked my UCLA friend if you can put "got two coaches lifetime contracts" on a banner and he's very mad.

This is all because that UC Irvine coach had to go throw around some homophobic remarks. UCLA is gonna have to hire Pitino eventually.

I don't think they'd be that excited about the UCI guy for the same reason they're resistant to Randy Bennett. They really don't want someone who prefers to play that slow. It was a big part of them turning on Howland so quickly.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 8, 2019

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

MourningView posted:

Wofford had a really dope offense and he built the program from Division II to one of the best mid majors in the country. They were top 20 KenPom this year and got a 7 seed from the SoCon. I'd be really happy with that hire.

Remains to be seen if he can recruit at a decent level or not, Wofford had no resources, and he's actually from SWVA near Tech, so it's coming home for him. I feel like we over payed him, but oh well. Dude needs to do some WORK recruiting our current squad and commits, because we have the chance to be an absolute tire fire with the # of players who've already jumped into the transfer portal or left for the draft.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Tennessee football would 100% use the "we're historically good, please come to Knoxville" card if it could pull in someone good. And I'm sure was used in the past to justify NFL coaches coming to town. If I were UCLA, I'd ride that as long as possible. Who knows how long it will last

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 8, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Tennessee football would 100% use the "we're historically good, please come to Knoxville" card if it could pull in someone good. And I'm sure was used in the past to justify NFL coaches coming to town. If I were UCLA, I'd ride that as long as possible. Who knows how long it will last

That's literally what kept getting thrown out during our shitshow of a coaching search so

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Related to this discussion, article from the WSJ today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-11554739458

UCLA ranked #8 most valuable NCAA program.

edit: Nevermind, Georgia at 66. This ranking must be flawed

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 8, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Related to this discussion, article from the WSJ today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-11554739458

UCLA ranked #8 most valuable NCAA program.

edit: Nevermind, Georgia at 66. This ranking must be flawed

That's strictly basketball though - also I'm not subscribing to read their article, where is Tennessee at out of curiosity?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You also have to consider that la is where a lot of elite recruits are from

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I don't think they'd be that excited about the UCI guy for the same reason they're resistant to Randy Bennett. They really don't want someone who prefers to play that slow. It was a big part of them turning on Howland so quickly.

You would know better than me but doesn't Dixon play roughly the same as Howland did?

edit: I, too, am interested in what is behind that ridiculous pay wall.

Also would LA really be considered elite recruiting hotbed? Chicago and Texas and the SE maybe. I'm not sure what Rick Barnes would gain by going to LA recruiting-wise. A lot of Bruin fans really try to sell the SoCal lifestyle as some kind of a recruiting advantage and I just don't buy it.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 8, 2019

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

vikingstrike posted:

I don't think this is that hard. Despite not having much recent success, UCLA still has the most NCAA titles and is considered by traditional folk a top-tier NCAA basketball job and Tennessee isn't. Although, I do agree that Tennessee is currently in a better position to win on the short term.

Hell, Tennessee might be better long-term too, since the SEC (and Big 10 too) is awash in money from their network and they can probably pay more for coaches and build better facilities than any Pac 12 school

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's strictly basketball though - also I'm not subscribing to read their article, where is Tennessee at out of curiosity?

Yes, you're right. It is just basketball, forgot that word in the original post.

Here's the rest of the SEC:

1. Kentucky
15. Arkansas
24. Alabama
25. Tennessee
29. Missouri
40. Florida
43. South Carolina
52. Auburn
55. TAMU
57. Ole Miss
60. Vandy
65. LSU
66. UGA
72. Miss State

Not sure if the WSJ has stopped it, but try to put the URL in Google and see if you can access it through the search results.

If the entire ranking is clipped, here is the top 10

1. Kentucky
2. Kansas
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Indiana
6. Syracuse
7. UNC
8. UCLA
9. Arizona
10. Wisconsin

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 8, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The wealth of Louisville never ceases to amaze me. They're at the top of every power ranking because they sell so much merch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Also would LA really be considered elite recruiting hotbed? Chicago and Texas and the SE maybe. I'm not sure what Rick Barnes would gain by going to LA recruiting-wise. A lot of Bruin fans really try to sell the SoCal lifestyle as some kind of a recruiting advantage and I just don't buy it.

Seriously? It produces a ton of talent and UCLA is by far the biggest basketball brand in the region. It's a huge upgrade from Tennessee if you can recruit. They're currently getting their asses kicked locally by USC though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol a fake account just said UCLA was a done deal then the LA Times sports guy retweeting it saying he’s heard the same thing then deleted his tweet

https://twitter.com/TreyWallace_/status/1115359805559005184?s=20

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is anyone tracking flights yet?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

like 5 of the 10 best players in the nba right now are from LA any many other good players are as well. That well is rich with talent

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I look forward to UCLA firing Rick Barnes in 3 years after some early tourney exits

vikingstrike posted:

1. Kentucky
2. Kansas
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Indiana
6. Syracuse
7. UNC
8. UCLA
9. Arizona
10. Wisconsin

Wisconsin at 10, what the hell?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wisconsin is a big sports school that has been good at basketball almost every year for like 20 years now it's not that weird

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Plus after beer, grain and cheese curds where the hell else is the money gonna get spent?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Is anyone tracking flights yet?

Not that I’m aware but a buddy of mine (this is real I’m not kidding) that lives in Knoxville texted me to say that UCLA has offered to pay half of Ricks buyout and that he has 4 hours to give them an answer.

Oh and Im not supposed to tell anyone, whoops

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well this should settle it.

https://twitter.com/TheStockBarrel/status/1115352262010912777?s=20

https://twitter.com/scrambledjakes/status/1115367324658409474?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/hardknoxpizza/status/1115368798704537602?s=20

They’re offering the wrong guy food. Give these offers to Phil and watch him work some magic

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

like 5 of the 10 best players in the nba right now are from LA any many other good players are as well. That well is rich with talent

I learned something new today. I guess I never really follow west coast recruiting much probably since my school doesn't recruit here very often.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I really thought someone trying to steal Chris Beard would be blowing up this thread.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/hardknoxpizza/status/1115368798704537602?s=20

They’re offering the wrong guy food. Give these offers to Phil and watch him work some magic

Do any of these businesses truly follow through on their offers? Like if the coach or player gets fired or leaves the team or retires, are they still honoring their offers?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I learned something new today. I guess I never really follow west coast recruiting much probably since my school doesn't recruit here very often.

Josh Jackson was from San Diego, which is not LA but is effectively in it's recruiting footprint.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Metapod posted:

fwiw, the following are from LA/environs:

Harden
Russ
PG
Klay
I.T.
Kawhi
DeRozan
Dinwiddie
Jrue
Korver
Love
Lopez twins

and of those, only Russ, DeRozan, Love and Jrue played for UCLA or USC

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

I really thought someone trying to steal Chris Beard would be blowing up this thread.

Still in the tournament and not talking to anyone until they're done.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

curried lamb of God posted:

fwiw, the following are from LA/environs:

Harden
Russ
PG
Klay
I.T.
Kawhi
DeRozan
Dinwiddie
Jrue
Korver
Love
Lopez twins

Korver was born in LA but they moved to Iowa when he was pretty young. Love grew up in Oregon.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MourningView posted:

Korver was born in LA but they moved to Iowa when he was pretty young. Love grew up in Oregon.

Oregon fans were total shitbags when Love picked UCLA. I get being mad since he and Kyle Singler were two of the highest basketball recruits ever to come out of the state, were in the same year, and neither went to Oregon, but WOW were they entitled.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Do any of these businesses truly follow through on their offers? Like if the coach or player gets fired or leaves the team or retires, are they still honoring their offers?

I’m sure they follow through if he retires but fired probably not.

I’d love Barnes to step up to the podium tomorrow and tell everyone he doesn’t want the raise, he loves the Burger at Stock & Barrel (which is loving awesome btw) enough so he’s staying

Crazy how this is the only thing in college basketball going on tonight

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Just a reminder that if you want to GDT live and scream at the game, there's the SAS Discord:

https://discord.gg/p4fGXU

Main chat is busiest but there is a channel for college sports CURRENTLY APPROPRIATELY NAMED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1115436942781571074?s=20

False alarm guys!

:toot: